It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:20 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Mako:

Mako will center himself in the room to allow the light to shine on the door to the south and east. Doing his best to illuminate as much of the room as possible.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:19 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4055
Location: NC
Urson wrote:
Zahra
I'd suggest we make sure this chamber is empty and _safe_ before we move on. Zahra is as polite as she can manage, knowing that she is barely more than an intruder in this group.


"Agreed. Follow me, Verulian. Let us see what hides in the shadows."
Roan, Son of Rune, gives Zahra a quick nod and then moves off toward the farthest pillar at the edge of the light, holding his torch high, axe ready.

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Zahra

Zahra follows Roan, cautiously, trying to look in all directions at once. She readies the Black Javelin as she moves.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:53 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2256
Kiri will halve the distance between his current position and the east door, letting the others explore the rest of the room. He'll keep an eye on Loche's progress with the door.

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:23 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8786
Location: 1977
The Hall of Heroes (31), Fourth Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Three. Early morning. 15th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia



Image


Deep within the fourth level of the Great Pyramid of Khemsa...



... the outlanders and survivors of lost Verulia brave the curse of the sundered portal and enter the sacrosanct, secret tombs of the lost city. Their quest is the fabled treasure of Xuthalhotep, interred with the Pharaoh of Pharaohs for his journey to eternal afterlife. The raiders of antiquity scheme to wield its fearsome magic against the self styled demon god, Zargoth the Destroyer, under whose heel the once-great civilization of Verulia has been subjugated for centuries untold.

The explorers violate the ageless silence and darkness. The door soundlessly shuts behind them.

Loche the thief and Xorzen the masked disciple scan portals and slabs that were laid when the bricks of Atlantis were yet unbaked... they betray no secrets. Then the pair are overtaken by darkness.
Roan the barbarian and Mako the conjurer carry the party's illumination west. The shadows melt before them as Mako tries to find the center of this colossal hall that honors the warriors of ancient Verulia.

Suddenly, the silence breaks like a summer storm. From somewhere to the west, there is the deep, echoing scrape of stone on stone. The footfalls of countless, marching men. The booming thunder of horse hooves on stonework tiles!

From out of the darkness, from out of ancient history, a legion of Verulian heroes emerges.



They ride again. Dead soldiers and dead steeds march forward, led by their fearsome general. The army of the Pharaoh, entombed with him for eternity, stands ready to defend their lord and master once more, this time against the heretic invaders of his final resting place.

"The curse!" Amethu the sorcerer-priest whispers in naked astonishment. "The vengeance of the Pharaoh reaches for us from beyond the grave!"


Actions?!


Map Detail:

S = Dead Soldiers. H = Dead Horses.
Lit areas are visible. All else is from memory.



Tier 4 Map:



Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):
The sound of their approach prevents the PCs from being surprised, and bestows an advantage in initiative for the coming round.


Image


PC Status:
    Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl
    Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 17/17, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl and 2/2 3rd lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 4(2), HP: 18/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 7/7, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7(5), HP: 6/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 23/23, Torch
    Xorzen: Verulian Osoran Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 8, HP: 12/12
    Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 2: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 16/16

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:14 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 985
"Regroup against the east wall!" shouts Garrin, running northeast towards the location of most of the group. He does not want to divide their forces nor be surrounded by a numerically superior enemy (with cavalry!). With the east wall at his back, Garrin turns to face the oncoming horde ,and attacks them as they come if he can this round. His highest priority target is the general, followed by a horse, followed by undead infantry.

If needed: To Hit with +1 Long Sword: [1d20+1] = 3+1 = 4; Damage: sm - [1d8+1] = 8+1 = 9; lg - [1d12+1] = 8+1 = 9 :cry:

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Mako:

Mako quickly rushes back to the east wall and falls into rank with his party. Though having no spike on the end of his quarter staff he sets it and braces for the Calvary charge.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:53 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Zahra

The pale Amazon falls back, javelin in hand, keeping her eyes on the leader of the Undead.

As she falls back, she shouts in her best and most formal Verulian: Hail, noble ones! Heroes of the mighty Pharoh! We wish parley! Let us find a peaceful solution!

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:03 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 5:03 am
Posts: 4055
Location: NC
"Mitra's Grace!" exclaims the Vanir barbarian at the sight of the undead war party. He backpedals quickly, dropping his torch near the last pillar before reaching the east wall. But, instead of backing up against the wall, Roan puts his back to the pillar...and when the undead approach, he pivots to his left and chops at one with his new battle axe.

Battle axe: [1d20+3] = 10+3 = 13, [1d8+5] = 8+5 = 13 13, 13 > that's a good sign! ;)

_________________
Winter is coming...

Image


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:33 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13952
Arthfael kneels and places his left palm on the floor. The tattoos on his arm seem to writhe—or perhaps it is an illusion caused by the twitching of his muscles. He begins chanting, calling to the spirits of the dwellers of earth and sand to come forth and swarm the undead general.

"Meanbh-fhrìde! Ceàrdaman biastan! Ùir neach-àiteachaidh! Hig an còir!"

Cast Summon Insects, once the undead are within range.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:55 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13210
Location: Packerland
Xorzen looks at Loche, wondering if the man is thinking the same thing as he is. He checks the door over as quickly as possible to determine how it might open.

Thinking that moving out of this room might be the quickest way for the group to avoid the army that is coming at them, he quietly tries to open the portal if he can figure out its mechanisms.

If the portal does not budge, the masked Initiate pulls out one of his non magical javelins to toss at the oncoming general.

Javalin Attack [1d20] = 1 Damage [1d6+1] = 4+1 = 5 :oops: Sorry Roan! :?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:48 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:07 pm
Posts: 2256
Kiri moves a short distance towards the east door, then turns to face the oncoming undead cavalry and, assuming they advance, attacks:
Attack with Trident (THAC0:20): To Hit: [1d20+3] = 9+3 = 12 Damage vs. s/m: [1d6+7] = 5+7 = 12, vs. Lg: [3d4+6] = 7+6 = 13

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:41 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2321
Location: Pennsylvania
Amethu observes the approaching undead - yet another ancient mystery revealed after so many ages. He calls upon the powers of the equally ancient gods to lay these souls to rest, "Qad yakun almayit la yahda fi salam!"

Turn Undead
[1d20] = 2


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:16 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:05 pm
Posts: 8786
Location: 1977
The Hall of Heroes (31), Fourth Tier of the Great Pyramid
Lost City of Khemsa, Forgotten Kingdom of Verulia, Great Eastern Desert, the World of Hyboria
Day Three. Morning. 15th day of the month of Yuluk, 1279th year of the Age of Aquilonia



Image


From out of the ageless shadows of the Great Pyramid rides an army of death.



Swordsmen arise. Archers and horsemen are returned from the grave. Cold dead hands regrip their weapons once more; one last time.

All dead, all beyond the time of flesh and blood, they march against the living.

The explorers fall back shouting in the face of the stampeding horrors. Zahra the amazon calls in the ancient tongue of High Verulian, "Hail, noble ones! Heroes of the mighty Pharaoh! We wish parley! Let us find a peaceful solution!"
The cadaverous skull opens its jaw and a howling scream spews forth as from the icy pits of Hell itself: "GET... OUT!!"

Amethu the sorcerer-priest holds forth the holy symbol of Uthoth and commands the restless souls of the departed to return to their eternal rest.

The macabre general of the dead shrieks his reply in ancient Verulian, "YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE, MORTALS!"

Loche the Pict frantically tries to open the door in the center of the east wall to escape. It doesn't budge. The bloodless legion bearing down upon them, Xorzen the masked Verulian hurls his javelin, a streak of silver in the torchlight that ranges wide.

Arthfael the Cimmerian falls to his knees, chanting, calling on the power of Nature itself to obey his will.

Garrin, Kiri, Mako and Roan fall back and ready themselves for the onslaught of revenents. A fleet of arrows hurtles out of the darkness, heralding its imminent arrival.



The explorers take cover behind pillars and shields. Only one missile strikes true, grazing Zahra's right cheek. (-1hp)

Mako the deceiver sets his glowing quarterstaff for the charge of the undead brigade but his gruesome foe flanks it.

Roan the barbarian lays in wait behind one of the monolithic pillars. Fury makes a hellish mask of his face. As the ranks of grisly corpses advance, he pivots to his left and savagely deals blows like a butcher wielding a great cleaver. A skeletal horseman (H5) is hacked apart to the crack and snap of splintering bone.

Kiri the mountain drives his trident up with all his terrible strength. A trio of blade points impales a mounted cadaver's chest and stands out a foot behind its shoulders. The lifeless rider falls from its deathly steed. (H6)

Garrin attacks the phalanx's ghastly general (H8) but his sword is beaten back.

The raiders of the crypt withstand the ferocious onslaught of warriors past. They hold the line and sustain only minor injuries from ancient Verulian blades. (-2hp to Mako and Kiri)

More sounds echo out of the shadows to the west!

Arthfael's chanting ceases. Then the impossible happens. Emerging from the cracks in the walls and ceiling of the ancient chamber, a plague of locusts descends! The barbaric druid points a tattooed finger at the ghoulish general (H8) and the black, buzzing cloud of insects engulfs him as he screeches bloody murder!




Actions?!


Map Detail:

S = Dead Soldiers. H = Dead Horsemen.
Lit areas are visible. All else is from memory.



Rolls and Rulings (non-required reading):


Image


PC Status:
    Amethu: Verulian Grand Magus Cleric/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 6/6, Spells: 2/5 1st lvl
    Arthfael Griogarach: Cimmerian Northman Druid 3: Move: 12", AC: 6, HP: 17/17, Spells: 5/5 1st lvl, 4/4 2nd lvl and 1/2 3rd lvl
    Garrin Locke: Argosian Atlantean Paladin 2: Move: 12", AC: 4(2), HP: 18/18, Laying Hands: 1/1
    Kiri Khutan: Kambujan Easterner Fighter/Magic-User 1/1: Move: 9", AC: 4, HP: 5/7, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl
    Loche: Pict Savage Thief 3: Move: 9", AC: 5, HP: 18/18
    Mako: Khitan Easterner Illusionist 2: Move: 12", AC: 7(5), HP: 4/6, Spells: 1/2 1st lvl, Light spell
    Roan, Son of Rune: Vanir Northman Barbarian 2: Move: 15", AC: 4, HP: 23/23, Torch
    Xorzen: Verulian Osoran Monk 2: Move: 16", AC: 8, HP: 12/12
    Zahra: Verulian Amazon Fighter 2: Move: 12", AC: 3, HP: 15/16

PC Magic:
    Protection from Evil (Garrin): -2 to AC and +2 to saving throws against evil, in a 10 foot radius around Garrin.
    Healing Mists of Osorus (All except Amethu and Zahra): All lost HP recovered with 8 hours of sleep. Wakeful rest, or sleeping less than 8 hours, enables recovery of 1 HP per hour. Duration: "months."
    Summon Insects (Arthfael): Target: The general (H8). Duration: 2 rounds.

Player Resources:

_________________


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:47 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:39 pm
Posts: 1611
Location: Lawrenceville, GA
Mako:

Quickly moving into action, Mako rest his quarter staff on his chest as he digs into a spell components pouch. He cries out to his neighboring adventurers "feed me the font in my waterskin if I fall." Out of his pouch Mako spews forth colored sand of red, yellow and blue mixed with arcane words and spastic hand gestures.

Color Spray - Targeting the wedge to affect S14, H7, S16, S15, S20, and if possibly S19 if wedge is wide enough.

_________________
Enoka Farore in "under streets of splendor"
Lieutenant Dr. Ned "Needles" Ryerson, Star Trek Adventure Gaming in the Final Frontier
Hoom Feethos, The Horror at Briarsgate (1e)
Mako, The Lost City of the Pharaohs (1e)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:28 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 4:06 am
Posts: 2321
Location: Pennsylvania
Amethu considers fleeing to the confined space of the entrance way south but would likely leave too many skeletons for the group to hold off for their own retreat. Instead, he lunges with his quarterstaff into the closest skeletal opponent (S9).

To Hit (THACO 20): [1d20] = 7
Quarterstaff Damage: = S/M/L: [1d6] = 1


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:29 am 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:14 pm
Posts: 13952
Arthfael fends off his attacker...poorly.

Scimitar (THAC0 20): [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5 [1d8] = 1

That's assuming he can attack and doesn't have to maintain concentration on the insects.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:56 am 
Offline
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:23 am
Posts: 1136
Zahra

Seeing that her attempt at diplomacy has failed, she hurls her newly-acquired Black Javelin at the General in his cloud of insects.

[1d20] = 8+2

It flies wide, and she spits an epithet that should have taken paint off the heiroglyphics.

She readies her sword, preparing to attack the horseman in front of her.

_________________
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:21 pm 
Offline
Ranger
Ranger
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:48 pm
Posts: 985
Garrin attacks the only foe within reach of his sword, the distracted general.

To Hit with +1 Long Sword: [1d20+1] = 1+1 = 2; Damage: sm - [1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3; lg - [1d12+1] = 10+1 = 11

His killing blow is turned aside as a locust flies into the paladin's mouth.

_________________
I'm not gonna cook it but I'll order it from Zanzibar.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:00 pm 
Offline
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:16 am
Posts: 13210
Location: Packerland
Xorzen watches the onslaught of the undead army advance on his new friends. To his amazement, they do not run away. When he sees that this group is willing to stand their ground to help save this place, a place that most of them have no reason to even consider helping, it boosts the initiate's confidence that he is indeed doing the right thing by helping them.

He steps forward with his magic javelin, swinging it like a staff against the monster fighting in between Loche and Mako. S13

Javalin Attack [1d20] = 2 Damage [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2
7, 4, 8, 1, and 2? We're doomed.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group