OOC III

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

OOC III

#1 Post by dmw71 »

The OOC II thread hit 25 pages, so we'll start a new one here.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC III

#2 Post by dmw71 »

Apologies for the lack of update yesterday. I had a busy day at work yesterday as I needed to take the morning off and cram a full day's worth of work into the afternoon; then had my Thursday night game last night and didn't get home until late.

Working on it now.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Horatio snorts. "Dragging an endless poison fountain across the countryside? Hey, I'm impressed; that's the stupidest idea I've heard yet."

He sidles up to Canun. "What'dya think? If we put the jar back where it was and camp here overnight, you think you could try to de-skunk it tomorrow? A few more hours of bad water isn't going to kill anyone. Well, hardly anyone. Right?"
Adding that AdaRue is a cleric, too.

Is that the plan (return the decanter and camp out overnight)? If so, I'll just need to know when (it's essentially midday "Time: 11:29 (Sunrise: 06:53, Sunset: 18:37)" ), and where (in this room, someplace else?).

I'd also need all casters to provide me with a new list of memorized spells.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

I guess that's the plan, assuming Keebler didn't hit on the command word to turn it off. Or if people don't want to just smash the thing to bits for some reason.

And I know that AdaRue is also a cleric, but Horatio and Canun have a certain mutual respect. Or something.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Do we really want to spend the night in that room, though? Or in the goblin caves, at all.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by onlyme »

Junius prefers to hightail it out of there and camp in the hills, with the bottle below us. Seeping through the ground there cant be worse than going through the water supply directly.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

Water at least dilutes the poison. Anywhere we carry the vessel is going to get a full uncut dose of yuck.

The villagers already know the water is bad and are doing what they can to avoid it. We're talking about, what, 12 hours or so of the water still being tainted? It's not optimal, but it seems better to me than directly poisoning everything in our path at a gallon per minute. That kind of trail of destruction gets you a reputation.

I'll ask again: why aren't we just trying to destroy the thing? If we can't turn it off, and we can't find a way to stopper it, can we at least try to destroy it? I realize it's a neat magic item if we can neutralize it (if the purification spell works) or learn to control it (by guessing the right command word), but if that's not possible, why not just smash it?

There's probably a goblin in these caves who knows the command word, but we're back to the problem of the decanter still spewing filth in the meantime.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote:Some maths:
  • A large sack will hold 60 pounds of gear, or 2 cubic feet;
  • A cubic foot can hold roughly 7.5 gallons (so a large sack, which holds 2 cubic feet, can hold approximately 15 gallons);
  • Based on how quickly the sack is filling, you estimate it to be 1 gallon per round (10 seconds);
  • The sack will be completely filled in 15 rounds, or 150 seconds, or just over two minutes.
Some more maths:

There are 360 10-second rounds per hour. At a gallon per round, that's just over 48 cubic feet of gunk per hour. A 10x10x10 pit is 1,000 cubic feet. So if we know of a pit around here, it would take over 20 hours before the gunk filled the pit—plenty of time to let the clerics rest up if we want.

I don't remember if we've seen such a pit, though.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

None that I remember either. But there were those tarry cistern/wells in the tomb room. We'd leave a trail behind us leading them right there, though.
Maybe putting it back, camping in the woods, and coming back with fresh spells is the best option...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Is camping in the woods likely to be any safer than barricading ourselves in a room in the caves?

We've just gone back to town to rest before, right? Which does get us back to Canun's idea of going back to town, telling them we found the problem, then giving an estimate of what it will cost them for us to fix it. ;) Or getting some help fixing it, I suppose.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:Is camping in the woods likely to be any safer than barricading ourselves in a room in the caves?

We've just gone back to town to rest before, right? Which does get us back to Canun's idea of going back to town, telling them we found the problem, then giving an estimate of what it will cost them for us to fix it. ;) Or getting some help fixing it, I suppose.

I think last time we camped in the woods/rocks nearby.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Zhym »

Dave, is there any chance of figuring out the command word on our own? If so, do we need to say the command word, or would an intelligence check suffice for our character figuring out what the word would be?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#13 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Dave, is there any chance of figuring out the command word on our own? If so, do we need to say the command word, or would an intelligence check suffice for our character figuring out what the word would be?
Actually, Zhym, after going back and re-reading through the action posts again, I'll let Keebler make a d20 roll.

Rusty Tincanne, I'll let you make a d20 roll for Vernon, too.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

dmw71 wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:[1d20] = 17
Vernon thinks about as well as he aims will h his bow...
PM sent.
Huh? First skill check I think I've seen where rolling high is better.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote: Huh? First skill check I think I've seen where rolling high is better.
It might not have been a skill check. Either way, does it matter the method I decided I was going to use?
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Zhym »

I guess we'll find out.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#17 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Keebler keeps his distance and says nothing. While he waits for the ultimatum that must be coming, he tries to estimate how large the next room must be and whether he could manage to put most of its occupants to sleep from where he currently stands.
Keebler is unable to tell see much further beyond Raif, and really has no clue where the next room might be. That said, based on what the group has explored so far, this current room is the only one that has been large enough to really prevent capturing the entire space.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Probably a good idea to head back to the torture chamber and lock ourselves in for eight hours, or so.

Also, I'll be silent for a while, giving more time for onlyme and Alebelly to chime in.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#19 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Wow Dave. You do asshole a little too well.
Thanks... I think. :lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

My apologies for starting a conflict there. Our attempts at being friendly failed, then our attempts at telling him to get lost failed, then he threatened us, saying he's good at killing and that he's call his buddies. On top of that, I'm guessing (from the Crimson cloak and his demeanor) that he's with the guys the mayor kicked out of this region. I wasnt seeing any creative way to get to "live and let live."

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”