Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: VIII. Tree Cave - Third Visit

#21 Post by AleBelly »

Bluehorse wrote:
AleBelly wrote:
Bluehorse wrote:Mila

Swallows and back away a little turning to Canun. "Can you heal poison?"
"No, my dear. From the Tome of Hubbard, I quote Proverbs 13:1-4. 'An ounce of prevention is worth a lot more cure.' "
Blinks. "That sounds like less than four lines..."
"Hubbard was paid by the verse" replies Canun as he sniffs and wipes his nose with the back of his sleeve.

"Careful now" he calls to AdaRue

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue backpedals up the steps. Oh. Okay, get back now. My mum never met a 12 foot snake to handle. She suggests leading it up the stairs, then hitting it with arrows, javelins and sling stones.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#23 Post by Alethan »

Hastin retreats with the others.

"Maybe a flaming brand will scare it away? It looks like it's still digesting something, so I'm not so sure about your theory, Rainey... But maybe we can get it to leave and work on its food without any more aggression. With fire, I mean."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by dmw71 »

Round 1
AdaRue fully intends to begin to backpedal up the stairs, but fails to appreciate the swiftness with which the snake is able to react. In little more than an instant, the vice-like grip of the serpents jaws are felt latched onto the lantern-bearing forearm of the cleric, and a pain is sent coursing through her veins.
E01R01.png
E01R01.png (521.22 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

---

Rusty, unfortunately, I am going to need a saving throw versus poison. :(

I will allow AdaRue an opportunity to retaliate, and Junius or Hastin, if they elect, can also get in an attack, but not both (Junius, because of his position, will ultimately decide; if he attacks, Hastin can't; if he doesn't, Hastin can; if neither, then no one).

While no one else is in a position to attack this first round, I will also allow everyone the opportunity to decide which direction their character is going to go -- continue to flee, or move forward.

Actions?

---
Possessions Left Behind ---
Date: 29 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 10:06 (Sunrise: 06:37, Sunset: 18:22)
Temp: 79F
Conditions:
  • Warm
    Humid
    Light Rain
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 5 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1 (Shield)
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 6 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (17) | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (18)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (18)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 5-3 = 2 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Staff | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Hastin | Fighter: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 7 | Armor: Splint Mail, Shield | Weapons: Long sword, Javelin (3)
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Hastin
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius & Hastin
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

Junius retreats to allow hastings...

I have an understanding with snakes. I won't bite them if they don't bite me. So far so good.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila

To Canon. "Why would a god need to be paid? Are you sure someone wasn't just making this up?"

When she hears AdaRue cry out she tenses and refocuses her attention forward, worried for her friends.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by drpete »

Rainey steps forward, anxiously, and tries to cast sleep on the snake.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Keebler and Tippin stand back while Rainey casts a spell.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Mother help me! shrieks Miss AdaRue Hanspitcher. Horror and pain overtake her as dagger-teeth bite deep into her flesh. She desperately swings down hard onto the snake, only realizing she was not holding her mace when oil and fire spread across its scaly flesh. Help! she screams again, this time to her friends.

Save vs poison? (11) [1d20] = 12
lantern smash [1d20] = 18

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#30 Post by dmw71 »

Zzzzz...
Rainey bravely steps forward and begins uttering some phrases in a strange arcane language. The giant rattler loosens its vice-like jaws from AdaRue, who shrieks "Mother help me!" as the horror and pain of the snake strike begins to register, and rears its head back, jaws open wide. The incantations of Rainey's 'sleep' spell complete just in a nick of time, and the giant serpent fails to wrestle against its effects, collapsing solidly onto the jagged stairway, pinning AdaRue in the process! Instinctively, the cleric smashes her lantern down towards the large, slitted eyes of the snake that just released its grip on her, and the lone slight source the party had lit nearly flickers off; the few sparks remaining after impact barely illuminate the immediate area. The word "Help!" is the last sound that manages to escape the cleric's mouth before being nearly crushed.
Light.jpg
Light.jpg (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

The snake, and Miss AdaRue, lie motionless.

---

Actions?

---
Possessions Left Behind ---
Date: 29 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 10:07 (Sunrise: 06:37, Sunset: 18:22)
Temp: 79F
Conditions:
  • Warm
    Humid
    Light Rain
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 5 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1 (Shield)
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 6 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (17) | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (18)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (18)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 5-3 = 2 | Armor: Banded Mail, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Staff | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Sleep)
    Hastin | Fighter: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 7 | Armor: Splint Mail, Shield | Weapons: Long sword, Javelin (3)
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Hastin
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius & Hastin
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#31 Post by Alethan »

Hastin quickly lights a torch off of the last remaining flames of the now smashed lantern before running his sword through the giant snake to make sure it is dead.

"That didn't go as planned now, did it?"is all he mutters, staring at the body and the snake.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue shakes her head. Not at all. I hadn't expected it to be so big. she holds her wound and takes her place in the line, limping along. She saves her spell for later.

How much damage would a swing/shattered lantern and it's flames do, out of curiosity?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#33 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:AdaRue shakes her head. Not at all. I hadn't expected it to be so big. she holds her wound and takes her place in the line, limping along. She saves her spell for later.
AdaRue was actually caught in Rainey's spell, and is technically asleep. :D

As for the lantern damage, I probably would just follow the rules established for torches, or: "A torch used as a weapon will do 1d3 damage, or 1d3+1 if lit.".
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Zhym »

"An effective alarm and guard," Keebler says of the snake. He draws his sword and slices the snake open lengthwise to look for anything valuable or interesting it might have swallowed.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

dmw71 wrote:As for the lantern damage, I probably would just follow the rules established for torches, or: "A torch used as a weapon will do 1d3 damage, or 1d3+1 if lit.".[/ooc]
I was hoping it would get a club damage and then the damage from the oil, too. The reasoning being that she just gave up an expensive light source and the oil should splatter and ignite. Lesson learned though, and the lantern is removed from her sheet.

AdaRue sleeps as only the enchanted can when they have large holes punched in their arms.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#37 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I was hoping it would get a club damage and then the damage from the oil, too. The reasoning being that she just gave up an expensive light source and the oil should splatter and ignite. Lesson learned though, and the lantern is removed from her sheet.
I wanted to be careful before making non-weapons being more dangerous than actual weapons.

P.S. I never said the lantern was broken, just that it flickered out. You might want to inspect it before discarding it. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Bluehorse »

dmw71 wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:I was hoping it would get a club damage and then the damage from the oil, too. The reasoning being that she just gave up an expensive light source and the oil should splatter and ignite. Lesson learned though, and the lantern is removed from her sheet.
I wanted to be careful before making non-weapons being more dangerous than actual weapons.

P.S. I never said the lantern was broken, just that it flickered out. You might want to inspect it before discarding it. ;)
Miscellaneous PC inspects the lantern.

Rolls a 1.

DM: and the Lantern EXPLODES INTO ACID BREATHING FIRE CHIGGERS!!!

M-PC: Oh no!

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by onlyme »

Junius asks for volunteers to lead, but not expecting any, he readies them to continue down the stairway.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

dmw71 wrote:You might want to inspect it before discarding it. ;)
Riiiight. I had forgotten to take nothing for granted with Dave at the helm! :P

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”