V. Roganter - Extended Visits

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

V. Roganter - Extended Visits

#1 Post by dmw71 »

Day 4: White Deer Inn
Junius awakens from a restful night of sleep in a relatively comfortable bed. The rest did him well, and he feels back to full strength.

An hour or so after sunrise, after everyone has had a chance to perform their morning routines (including memorizing their daily spells), everyone meets downstairs in the dining area and discusses their daily plans over breakfast.

Before heading downstairs for breakfast, Mila notices the soft glow from her fire beetle gland becomes extinguished.

Edited to update meal/drink prices (below) from per meal to per day.

----

Notes:
  1. Rooms are 1 gold piece per night regardless of size or number of occupants. Some are slightly smaller than others, but none are hobbit-sized. ;)
  2. Meals (including drinks) range from 5 silver to 5 gold per day. The more you eat/drink, the more expensive it will obviously be. I'll trust you guys to determine how much you spend per day spent in town. Tips are extra, if provided.
  3. The inn does have a bath room, with a half dozen tubs. A bath will cost 5 silver.
  4. Canun, note the boarding prices for your mule. If the group plans to stay the full four days, to wait for the armor to be completed, it will cost you 3 gold pieces extra.
  5. Spell casters (which is a majority of you), please let me know: A) What spell you plan on memorizing for when you finally leave Roganter, and B) Any spells memorized during your stay (e.g. detect magic).
  6. Regarding 'Detect Magic', while it will cover a larger area, please let me know who is going to be casting the spell, where the spell is going to be cast (e.g. in a room, in public, etc???), and what items the plan wants to make sure to include in the scan.
  7. Any other business the group wants to complete before leaving town? I'm guessing a trip to the Town Hall to exchange/deposit coins will be made, but let me know if there's anything else anyone wants to do.

Actions?

---
Possessions Left Behind ---
Date: 23 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 07:16 (Sunrise: 06:29, Sunset: 18:13)
Temp: 53F (62F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 5 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1 (Shield)
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20) | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Hobgoblin Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (20)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (20)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather, Goblin Shield | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1 (Protection from Evil)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1 (Sleep)
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: V. Roganter - Extended Visits

#2 Post by Zhym »

Keebler will keep Read Languages prepared in town, on the off chance it should become useful, and prepare Sleep for the day the group leaves.

Meals in town turn out to be more expensive than rations (by quite a bit in some cases). Could a frugal PC just buy rations to eat each day?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Meals in town turn out to be more expensive than rations (by quite a bit in some cases). Could a frugal PC just buy rations to eat each day?
Lol... I was just making prices up.

But, I'm going to stick with them as a gold piece here and a gold piece there is really just an issue when you're starting out, but will become a non-issue soon enough.

If, in the meantime, you want to stick with rations, you're obviously welcome to.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue reminds the group of her offer to scan the collective treasure for magical items. When she learns that some of the items have already been sold, she holds her tongue, assuming Canun will have an appropriate sermon for the offenders. Disapproving is more in line with Hubbard than her own diety. We can do it in Mila's and my room. Then Mila and me are going shopping.
I still need to straighten out all the coin when RL calms down.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila

As stated before she pays for a night in her room where she will organize her possessions a little better in her pack and on her person. She will also pay for a meal and a bath (so she doesn't smell like pits and Canun... I mean ass) And will take some time to wash her clothes whiles she is at it. That night she will review her shield spell before heading to bed happy for one of the few times in her short life to have ever slept in a real bed, finding it absolutely luxurious. "One day, if I make it rich, I will have a house full of wonderful fluffy beds with a hundred different pillows and blankets of all shapes sizes and colors!" she muses to AdaRue before dropping off.

(money for the room previously deducted, now deducting 5sp for the bath and will pay an additional 5sp for a day of food at the inn.)

She will discard the Firebeetle gland in the waste bin outside the inn.

The next morning, she will leave early with a portion of her share of the money for some of her own errands. She has lightened her load, leaving most of her poseessions in her room under lock with the key on a strip of cloth around her neck, tucked under her dress. She still wears the silver dagger on her hip, and her small brace of darts still on her belt on the opposite side. She carries the blanket from her back under her arm as she leaves.

(PM sent to Dave and Rusty)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#6 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:...scan the collective treasure for magical items...
I hate to be a stickler here, but I would like a list (ideally from each character) of what specific items they're adding to the collection being targeted.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Bluehorse »

dmw71 wrote:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:...scan the collective treasure for magical items...
I hate to be a stickler here, but I would like a list (ideally from each character) of what specific items they're adding to the collection being targeted.
Candelabra
Candels
Goblin Cloak
Silver Dagger
Staff
Snakeskin
Scroll Cases

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Keebler and Tippin:

Long bow
All new arrows
Chain
Thieves tools
Rope

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#9 Post by dmw71 »

I have what I need. Thanks!
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#10 Post by dmw71 »

Day 4: Detect Magic
Mila disappears early in the morning. An hour or so later, when everyone else is gathered around the breakfast table, a young woman in fresh clothing enters the inn and begins approaching the table the group occupies. It takes a minute, and a couple double-takes, but the group eventually recognizes this young woman to be Mila; looking fresh and clean, with with newly cut and styled hair.

After the initial shock wears off, the group completes their breakfast and the lot return to the room shared by AdaRue and Mila. There, the items the group is most interested in having analyzed is collected and AdaRule casts 'Detect Magic' on the collection. At first, nothing is detected... but then Mila spies a soft glow emanating from a small gap in one of the branches of the candelabra, the one Rainey previous suspected was hollowed out. A closer inspection of the candelabra reveals that the branch can be slid out of place, and inside appears to be a rolled up piece of parchment.

The rolled document is carefully removed from the branch and unrolled. The strange writing is only understood by Mila and Rainey, who reveal it to be a scroll with a single spell written upon it: 'Fireball'.

----

Notes:
  1. If you haven't already done so, Spell casters, please let me know: A) What spell you plan on memorizing for when you finally leave Roganter, and B) Any spells memorized during your stay.
  2. Let me know if there is any other business the group wants to complete before leaving town?

Actions?

---
Time: 08:53 (Sunrise: 06:29, Sunset: 18:13)
Temp: 53F (62F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 5 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1 (Shield)
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (20) | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Hobgoblin Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (20)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (20)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather, Goblin Shield | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Protection from Evil)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1 (Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1 (Sleep)
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Keebler sells the shortbow (12g, 5s) and buys two flasks of oil (2sp). He deposits 240 silver and 81 gold into the First Bank of Roganter for a 100 gp promissory note.

Tippin sells the thieves tools (15g) and buys another flask of oil (10c). He deposits 280 silver and 77 gold for a 100 gp promissory note.

20 silver deducted from both Tippin and Keebler for meals.

Ready to go.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by dmw71 »

Assuming everyone else completes a final list of activities like Zhym did, above.

What's the plan? Wait four days for the armor to be completed and leave? Back to the dungeon?
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by onlyme »

Junius plans to leave as soon as the armor is ready. He will pay his modest tab once checking out.
Where? Depends on what you want us to do... if someone is joining up, then however best that blends into the story, and/or whether you want to build a new dungeon or for us to continue crawling the old one...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

I think it was our intent to go back to the old dungeon. That's still fine with me.

And I've deducted room & board costs assuming a four-day stay in town.

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by drpete »

Rainey will live fairly well while we wait for the various orders, and spend money fairly freely (100 silver on food, baths, tips, etc for the 4 days... that's equivalent to 10 gold, right? (or is that only 5 gold?)). He'll leave the bulk of his money in the bank before we go (I'll need to double check that, but it looks like he can put about 150 gp away, in a mix of silver and gold).

For the rest of the time, he'll just socialize around. He wants to learn about the horrible hagfish, and talk to the retired wizard... just trying to establish himself a bit in the town. Are there, generally, people around who it might be possible to hire, like a strong guy to carry a torch, a shield and a backpack? How do people feel about that?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue accompanies Mila to the store and returns with a modest, woolen dress, appropriate for light work, but still looks nice enough for a night out. She asks around after local midwives, seeking community and possibly an apprenticeship, should she want to. She wears her religious symbol prominently. When she meets with the midwife, she asks about healing herbs/potions that might be bought for poultices, teas, etc.depending on the availability, she might just purchase some better armor.

AdaRue also asks the innkeeper if he knows of anyone that can fix up her goblin shield, painting it with the symbol of the Mother. She wonders if she should buy a mace, like Canun's, and leave her broom behind when they leave town.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by AleBelly »

Canun happily forks over 150 silver pieces - 120 for the mule, and 30 for stabling fees. "She must eat like a queen for those prices" he says, perhaps causing offense but actually not meaning to. He inquires as to whether he can purchase sacks for Nelly to carry any new found treasure.

During the intervening days, he will eat well (50 more sp deducted), purchase 4 more days of trail rations and a bedroll (21 sp), and roam about the town looking to heal anyone who may need it. Being in Hubbard's service, he may also seek a modest donation for his service. But his primary concern is raising the esteem of Hubbard in town.

He will also take 800 silver pieces and 25 gp to the vault, securing a 100gp promissory note.

Note - Canun added 663 sp as I caught up on the threads suggesting we didn't have to leave our shares behind if they were too heavy. Character sheet updated.

When adventuring, Canun will memorize Light.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#18 Post by dmw71 »

Day 4: Roganter
Junius casually spends his time in town, waiting for his new armor to be completed in a few more day.

Several members of the group, done with their purchases, pay a visit to the Town Hall where they make deposits of varying amounts: Canun, Keebler, and Tippin each deposit 100 gold; while Rainey deposits closer to 150 gold (please confirm this amount). In exchange, they each receive a promissory note for the total of their donation, less the 1 gold piece transaction fee.

Canun leaves Nelly in the stable and pays her stabling fees. Daviren is able to sell Canun a saddle (25gp; 25 pounds) or saddle bags (1 sp; 0.5 pounds) if he wants, but directs him to the General Store if he wishes to purchase sacks (large: 2sp; small: 1sp). While making his way through town, he spends his time looking to heal anyone who may need it, and finds a few people in need. The name of Hubbard -- a relatively obscure, if not unknown deity -- is now known to many.

Mila spends her time exploring town, looking for opportunities. She learns that there's a 'help wanted' board in 'The Rusty Dragon', the other inn on the opposite side of town. With time to spend, she pays the inn a visit. The large structure is Roganter's oldest inn, notable for the impressive (and quite rusty) iron dragon that looms on the building's roof, doubling as a lightning rod and decoration. A large stage occupies a far corner of the room, opposite the bar, upon which, the owner of the inn, Ameiko Kaijitsu, is found singing and playing a samisen. Inside, the wondrous odor of spicy and exotic foods fill the room, and she spies its ubiquitous "Help Wanted" board near the bar. At the current time, there are only three notices to be found:
Goblin Ears.png
Goblin Ears.png (858.57 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Moon Berries.png
Moon Berries.png (882.62 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Solsta's Ring.png
Solsta's Ring.png (821.41 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Back at the White Deer Inn, AdaRue also asks the innkeeper if he knows of anyone that can fix up her goblin shield, and is directed to the 'Red Dog Smithy', run by Das Korvut. Das sneers at the shield, recognizing it to be of goblin make, but says he can bang out any dents and reform any misshapen areas for 2 gold. He tells her she could find a mace at Savah's Armory, where one could be acquired for 5 gold. Armor can be purchased there as well.

Later, AdaRue accompanies Mila to Vernah's Fine Clothing where Mila is able to pick up the newly tailored outfits she purchased the previous day. While there, Rynshinn, the owner, presents AdaRue with the same options Mila had earlier:

Clothing
  • Outfit, wool: 1 gp
    Outfit, linen: 3 gp
    Outfit, silk: 30 gp
    Hosiery and Footwear, per outfit: 1 gp
    Other: Negotiable
Services
  • Haircut and style, 1 gp
    Manicure or Pedicure: 5 sp (1 gp for both)
Products
  • Soap, bar: 1 sp
    Scented oil, small vial: 3 gp
    Powder, small vial: 5 sp
Opting for the woolen outfit for 1 gold, the alterations are able to be completed during their visit. Rynshinn says she's always looking for talented quilters, crafters, sewers, knitters, and tailors if AdaRue possesses the necessary skills. When she's overheard talking about healing herbs or potions, she is informed that she might benefit by paying a visit to 'Bottled Solutions' or 'The Pillbug's Pantry'.

Nisk Tander runs Bottled Solutions', a cluttered shop is filled with shelves upon shelves of bottles, bags, and other alchemical containers, some covered with dust and others so new that the pungent stink of their brewing still fills the air. "Can I help you?" he asks?

The Pillbug's Pantry is run by Aliver "Pillbug" Podiker, an accomplished herbalist and gardener.

Between the two shops, if she wants, AdaRue is able to secure what she's looking for for poultices and teas for 2 gold.

----

For those that made deposits, please make sure your promissory notes are listed on your character sheets.

Actions?

---
Time: 11:16 (Sunrise: 06:29, Sunset: 18:13)
Temp: 58F (63F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather, Goblin Shield | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Protection from Evil)
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1 (Charm Person)
The Lost or Fallen
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue thinks about the dangers involved in delving again and decides she would like more protection, rather than fight. So she heads to Savah's and places an order for banded mail.

She purchases the necessary items to scribe out 5 healing scrolls, then spends a day or so transcribing them.

She donates her candles, a water skin and a 10 silver pieces to various street urchins.

Overall, she pays out:
2 gp to the Innkeeper for half of the stay in the room with Mila
3 gp to the Innkeeper for meals, bath
3 gp for a linen dress
2 gp to Das Korvut for the shield
85 gp to Savah's Armory for banded mail
40 gp - Ink (1 oz. Vial)
1 sp - Quill pen
1 gp - 5 pieces Parchment (sheet)

total, thus far: 137 gp. 1 sp.

I haven't tallied weight, but she'll be slower than before. Probably 60'. Do youa ll think more scrolls are in order? She has the money and is happy to spend it on her adopted family. :)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by dmw71 »

Day 4: Savah's Armory
AdaRue pays a visit to Savah's Armory, hoping to inquire about adding some protective covering. "I'll be right with you," Savah says to her as she enters. The armorer is currently working with a human male making the final adjustments on a brand new suit of splint mail. "How's it fit?" she asks him, to which she receives an affirmative response. "Now to find some adversaries to slay," the man boasts as he straps a sheathed long sword to his hip. "Are goblins still an issue here in town?" he asks. Savah shrugs unknowingly. "My fighting days are long behind me." The fighting man points out an area just beneath his left arm where the armor is scraping him, and Savah agrees to have her assistant perform the adjustment while he waits.

When the man she was working with begins to remove the piece of armor requiring adjustment, Savah turns her attention to AdaRue. "How can I help you?" she asks, moving over to where the cleric stands. The fighting man looks on at AdaRue in a curious, but non-judgemental way. Savah lets AdaRue know they're ahead of schedule on their current work, and that the armor she selects could probably be ready in three days, instead of her usual four. A mace, if she's interested, could be purchased today.

----

I don't know what kind of armor AdaRue is looking for, or if she's still looking for a mace, but whatever she selects can be purchased for book prices.

Actions?

---
Time: 11:41 (Sunrise: 06:29, Sunset: 18:13)
Temp: 58F (63F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1 (Charm Person)
The Lost or Fallen
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot: