OOC II

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC II

#441 Post by onlyme »

Basically, if we turn right at the cave-in, there is a door to the left we havent attempted to open, and we havent walked down the hallway beyond that room to the right where the tortured prisoners were.
That should be all known open leads.

(except for the one locked door we couldn't open across from the now dead drunken goblins.)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#442 Post by dmw71 »

Since this map is already built in Roll20, I actually ran this game live for a group... I'm trying to keep their progress (and yours) separate.

But, what you said is correct.

Here is what lies ahead:
Progress.jpg
Progress.jpg (38.5 KiB) Viewed 558 times
[/ooc]
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#443 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We have also never checked anywhere for secret doors. Also, I sort of remember there being a tunnel to the left after the stinky room. Is that correct?

Edit: and now that I'm caught up on the game thread, I see I was right. :P

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#444 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:AdaRue peels around the corner and lobs the pouch of smelly/sticky stuff on to the middle of the tunnel, just beyond Canun's current position. She hopes that whatever it is that is coming, gets stuck in it.
Reference.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Zhym »

It's nitpick time!

I read the house rule to say that rolling a 1 on a ranged attack only has a chance to hit a friendly character who is engaged in melee with the target. When no one is in melee with the target, a natural 1 has no chance of being "friendly fire." Am I misreading the house rule?

And even if it can be friendly fire, shouldn't the damage be 2, not 4, per the last paragraph below, because that's what AleBelly rolled?
dmw71 wrote:Natural 20's and 1's

. . .

Natural 1

. . .

Ranged Attacks
If you shoot or throw a ranged weapon at a target engaged in melee with a friendly character and roll a natural 1, there is a 50% chance (1-3, d6) that the shot will target the friend. The DM will roll to determine the target and, if the friend, the DM will also make another to-hit, using the same modifiers of the attacking character, to see if the friend is hit and takes damage.

The damage from friendly fire will be the damage rolled by the player, if provided. If not, the DM will roll for damage. Similarly, in the event of a critical hit in a friendly fire situation, the DM will roll for any missing damage (e.g. if the player provides regular and critical damage, both those results will be used; if only normal damage, the DM will roll once for the critical damage; if neither damage roll is provided by the player, the DM will make both rolls). (Added: Thursday, May 4, 2017; per this discussion.)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#446 Post by dmw71 »

Yes to the damage, so Sacro is safe.

As for the the other part, I may need to adjust the phrasing from "melee" to "combat." Regardless, the risk is still there in this situation as I can see how a sling could accidentally be released backwards, or how the slinger could crack someone while twirling their sling, but before actually releasing it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#447 Post by Zhym »

I'd suggest making the chance of friendly fire lower if no one is in melee with the target. Aiming for an enemy and hitting a friend in melee with the enemy seems a lot more likely to happen than misfiring and hitting someone standing the opposite direction from the target. Especially with a weapon other than a sling.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#448 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:I'd suggest making the chance of friendly fire lower if no one is in melee with the target. Aiming for an enemy and hitting a friend in melee with the enemy seems a lot more likely to happen than misfiring and hitting someone standing the opposite direction from the target. Especially with a weapon other than a sling.
I'm going to leave the rule as-is, but reserve the right to apply potential friendly fire rules if a situation (e.g. sling) could warrant it.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#449 Post by dmw71 »

The 'Natural 20's and 1's' house rule has been updated, as follows:
dmw71 wrote:Natural 20's and 1's

Ranged Attacks
DM discretion and logic will dictate on a case-by-case basis whether "friendly fire" can result from a natural 1 when the friend is is not engaged in melee. This will mostly (but not necessarily exclusively) apply to slings. (Added: Friday, January 19, 2018; per this situation/discussion.)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#450 Post by dmw71 »

Sorry, guys. Things got away from me yesterday, but I should have the next update for you soon.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#451 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Horatio returns to the door and inspects the mechanism. Does it appear as if it will open from the inside, or is it engineered to trap people in this room?
For this, think of it functionally like one of those reach/grabber tools where, when a trigger is pulled, the two arms close on something, and they release when the trigger itself is released.

That is what I had in mind when I thought of this particular door.

However, in this case, the arms lock themselves around a horizontal steel pole that is nested inside the jamb on the opposite side to secure the door shut.

In this room, flipping the lever is the equivalent of squeezing the trigger.

Hope that helps.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#452 Post by Zhym »

Thanks for the clarification. What I'm trying to understand is probably simpler: is it possible to operate the locking mechanism from inside the door as well as outside?

Well, that plus the obvious issue that a mechanism that unusual is probably the result of someone wanting to make really sure the door can't be opened if it's latched. It's sort of odd to have that sturdy a latching mechanism and no lock.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#453 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Thanks for the clarification. What I'm trying to understand is probably simpler: is it possible to operate the locking mechanism from inside the door as well as outside?
Ahh, okay. Yes, there is a lever on the inside of the room as well.
Zhym wrote:Well, that plus the obvious issue that a mechanism that unusual is probably the result of someone wanting to make really sure the door can't be opened if it's latched. It's sort of odd to have that sturdy a latching mechanism and no lock.
In this area, the latching mechanism is the lock.

It is a special area, which the group will learn more details about in the next update, and the door leading to this area is meant to be different than all other doors in the goblin halls. The "lock" is truthfully just an embellishment.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Zhym »

That's why I was starting (inconsistently) to use the word "latch" instead of "lock." "Lock" implies that it's meant not to open unless you have the key. A "latch" is just about how it stays closed.

If I understand correctly, this door has a fancy latch, but no lock.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#455 Post by dmw71 »

Correct.

Latch is the more appropriate term.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by Zhym »

I couldn't quite bring myself to go there with Horatio:
"Are you hot?" asks Horatio the a-hole.

"WHAT?" he answers to the inevitable looks. "Okay, fine, whatever. We can rescue uggos too," he mutters under his breath.
#BrightonMeToo

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#457 Post by dmw71 »

:lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#458 Post by dmw71 »

So, is Rothal returning to Brighton with the freed women, or are they all going to tag along as you push forward.

For reference sake, the main passage that leads directly out of the goblin halls is just outside this room, and Rothal, having been here before, is familiar with the path.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by Zhym »

Horatio and Keebler are okay with Rothal taking the women back to town.

I refrained posting anything from Horatio because it would just get him kicked by AdaRue.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#460 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:I refrained posting anything from Horatio because it would just get him kicked by AdaRue.
:lol:
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”