I. Tree Cave

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Tree Cave

#481 Post by Zhym »

"Shelob's teeth!" curses Tippin. He fires another arrow that pricks the hobgoblin.

Short bow (THAC0 19): [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19, [1d6] = 1

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#482 Post by onlyme »

Junius tries again to hit the killer hobgoblin, but again to no avail.

Shortbow [1d20+1] = 4+1 = 5; [1d6] = 5
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

ybn1197
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#483 Post by ybn1197 »

Watts takes the opportunity to run to the opposite side of the barrier previously used by the three goblins from the initial battle.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#484 Post by AleBelly »

"Behold! The goblin crumpled before Hubbard's might!" rejoices Canun. "AdaRue, be a dear and keep cleaning up this mess while I rescue the others..."

Buoyed by "his" victory, Canun steps to the room's entrance, loads a sling stone, and fires it at the hobgoblin.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#485 Post by Zhym »

"Ow! Fool of a Pook!" cries Keebler. "Watch where you point that thing!" He tries to take his anger out on Grosh but swings a little too hard.

Long sword (THAC0 19): [1d20] = 11, [1d8] = 8

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#487 Post by dmw71 »

Round 4
Grosh roars in anger and, with a vicious swing, slices through an unprotected area of Watts' thigh, opening a deep and deadly wound. The lifeless form of the thief crashes to the ground.

"Shelob's teeth!" curses Tippin, realizing another companion has fallen; and this, moments after he nearly took the life of another one of them. Undeterred, he draws back his bowstring and lets loose another arrow that pricks Grosh, and that's all it took. With a guttural roar, the hobgoblin crashes to the rocky floor... dead.

The immediate threat has ended, but with a cost.
E08R04 - End.jpg
E08R04 - End.jpg (382.11 KiB) Viewed 617 times

Apologies, ybn1197. You're definitely welcome to create a new character if you'd like.

Actions?

---

Date: 20 Februarius, Year 7102
Time: 16:24 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Temp: 44F (53F topside)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6-3 = 3-2 = 1 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow (14) | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4-3 = 1 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (13)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6-4 = 2 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (11)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather, Goblin Shield | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 =
    -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)

Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Watts
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey
      Watts & Canun
Rolls
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#488 Post by onlyme »

Junius just shakes his head.
How? Let us drink a toast to our friends assuming someone has any wine. if not, water and rest here for a bit. I have little health left myself, and it appears others are barely standing themselves.

And with the others (assuming) he will help prepare the bodies for their reposing, along with checking inventory of any useful items they may have had, along with the dead gobs.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#489 Post by Zhym »

"This is not a secure place to rest," says Keebler. "We should with all due haste gather spoils from our defeated foes and salvage what we must from fallen friends then retire to Borsh's room. There we can bar the door against any goblins that might wander by. Only then will I raise a glass."

He starts by searching Borsh and Grosh.

"I suggest we burn the bodies of Tom, Omdog, and Watts. Burying them would expose us to another attack we likely would not survive."

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#490 Post by drpete »

Rainey

The battle finished, Rainey will come into the room. He will examine Skunk's body, and check out Skunk's living area in the western part of the room. Did the inhabitants have anything besides the little tables and beds?

"I agree we should do something with the bodies, but burn them...? Won't the smell of burning flesh be a problem?
Maybe we can stash them in the overgrowth near the exit?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#491 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue moves into the chamber warily, she is heartbroken by the carnage but does not lose her composure. There are wounds to tend to. She starts to bind Watts' thigh.
I dont like the idea of burning our friends either, but it isn't right to dump them in a bush for vultures or raccoons. And... there are too many to carry back to town now. We could move them to the stairwell. That would let the smoke out and it isn't far from here. She volunteers some oil and offers to help build a pyre with the tables and bedding.

Do we know what is past the door? When there is a moment, she approaches cautiously and peers in. If safe, she enters.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#492 Post by Zhym »

Tippin looks sadly at AdaRue. "Um...you knows Watts is dead, right?" he asks.

He wonders to himself if Borshs's armor would fit him, then pokes his head into Borsh's room to see what's there.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#493 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

OOC: :oops: :lol:

Uh... Yeah. I know. I was just cleaning his leg before... Well, anyway. She rises and helps look for things of value in her dead companions' and the goblins' belongings and prepare them for burning.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#494 Post by Bluehorse »

Mila

Assist the others in moving the bodies and otherwise preparing them, weeping openly though quietly. She removes items they wont need in the afterlife, like coin and lamp oil. She does place a copper on each of their eyes though, to pay the ferryman. That done, she will join Tippin in searching the goblins for anything of use.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#495 Post by AleBelly »

Canun helps pull the bodies together for burning. As the others look over the corpses, he begins writing quickly on his parchment, pausing to think.

"I will say a few words to lay the dead to rest when we are ready. In the manner of Hubbard, of course."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#496 Post by Zhym »

"That should be good," mutters Tippin.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#497 Post by dmw71 »

The group, while not yet feeling necessarily safe, is afforded the opportunity to at least catch a breather after the trying battle. There is carnage everywhere -- including four goblins, two hobgoblins, as well as Tom, Omdog, and Watts. After a few short minutes, the group gets to action.

Knowing the process will take some time, Tippin wastes no time in seeking out a new set of armor. Borsh is closer to his size, but quickly realizes the blood soaked and slashed up leather armor will be a downgrade from his current protections. Tom, on the other hand, while much taller than himself, presents the chance to add a suit of chain mail. The halfling gets to work.

"We should with all due haste gather spoils from our defeated foes and salvage what we must from fallen friends then retire to Borsh's room. There we can bar the door against any goblins that might wander by." says Keebler, still stinging after being struck by a friendly arrow. "I suggest we burn the bodies of Tom, Omdog, and Watts. Burying them would expose us to another attack we likely would not survive." The idea of burning their companions is met with at least some initial resistance, but the group eventually agrees that, after collecting any useful items they may be carrying, their companions should be moved to the stairwell, where they will form a pyre and send them to the afterlife.

But first, the collective group search the bodies and living area of the four goblin and two hobgoblin victims.

The individual bodies produce a relatively minuscule score, but after moving into Borsh's chamber, their fortunes appear to have taken a more lucrative turn. The room is largely empty -- containing just a rickety wooden table with a single chair, a simple bed... and a small, locked wooden chest resting at the side of the bosses bed.

---

See: Possessions to Divide.

Actions?

---
Possessions to Divide
---
Time: 16:41 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
  • Mila | MU: 1 | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 4 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1
    Keebler| : Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 6-3 = 3-2 = 1 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Shortbow (14) | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Tippin | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6/5 | HP: 4-3 = 1 | Armor: Std Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Short sword, Shortbow (13)
    Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/7/6 | HP: 10-8 = 2+4 = 6-4 = 2 | Armor: Leather, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (11)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 7/6 | HP: 5 | Armor: Std Leather, Goblin Shield | Weapons: Staff | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 4 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 1, 0
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 10 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st 1
The Lost or Fallen
  • Tom | Halfling: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4/3 | HP: 5-4 = 1+3 = 4-5 = -1 | Armor: Chain, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Handaxe, Shortbow (16), Dagger
    Omdog | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3-4 = -1 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Quarterstaff, Dagger | Spells: 1st 1, 0
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#498 Post by dmw71 »

The group, still in Borsh's boss room, is shhhed by Canun. At first, they assume the cleric is just being his normal, belligerent self, but when he shhhes everyone again, the reason becomes evident. A large number of harsh, rapid, almost rhythmic tapping sounds is heard -- exactly like what the group heard before with the fire beetle. Only, this time, the sound is magnified, as if there are more than one -- potentially a lot more than one -- approaching from the room where the conflict just ended. The room where the bodies of their companions, as well as their victim bodies, have been left.
Borsh-1.jpg
Borsh-1.jpg (259.87 KiB) Viewed 560 times

Actions?

---
Possessions to Divide
---
Time: 16:42 (Sunrise: 06:45, Sunset: 17:43)
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Damp
  • None
Character Status
The Lost or Fallen
    Watts | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 5-1 = 4-3 = 1-5 = -4 | Armor: Leather, Dex -2 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (11)
Marching Orders
  • Scout:
    • Keebler
    5-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin
      Keebler
      AdaRue
      Mila
      Rainey
      Canun
    10-foot:
    • Junius
      Tippin & Keebler
      AdaRue & Mila
      Rainey & Canun
Rolls
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#499 Post by onlyme »

Junius whispers,
I suspect we should move that table to create a barrier. If not, we will be pinched out.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#500 Post by Zhym »

Keebler closes and bars the door after everyone has entered Borsh's room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hey, did anyone find a key on the dead boss hobgoblin?" asks Tippin. "If not, let's search the room. There must be a key somewhere!"

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”