OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#41 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:I would prefer to play with something I have the pdf from if at all possible. It makes rules research much, much easier. (Especially at work, where pulling up game manuals during a meeting seems to be frowned upon.)
I agree with this.

We'll stick with LL.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#42 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:It is possible your other players have not noticed these posts as well. A PM might be prudent.
Okay, so I just touched base with Greg, and he will get the game unarchived soon. Hopefully seeing the game pop up in the list again will alert any current players that might have missed the news of this restarting again. That said, since this discussion has been going on since last Friday, I would think most people would know by now. At any rate, I'm thinking there's a real possibility I may need to recruit a player or two, which is fine, but may take a bit of time. We'll see.

Either way, targeting a start of tomorrow (or even Friday) seems kind of unrealistic at this point. It's probably best to keep the start date open, but Monday seems like a logical time to get things started again. That will give me some extra time finalize the player list, give the players adequate time to get their characters created (though, in Basic, this takes all of about 10 minutes), plus I'll be able to update the 'Adventure Background' and '0. Prelude' posts to give you guys a proper feel for where things stand (because, as a reboot, it will be a complete departure from what you guys attempted during the initial launch).

It's getting closer, guys! :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#43 Post by dmw71 »

dmw71 wrote:Okay, so I just touched base with Greg, and he will get the game unarchived soon.
Yay, we're active again!
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#45 Post by Alethan »

Sorry, I missed the whole activation of this game.

Did you send an email out to everyone? Or were we just supposed to notice activity on the thread? Because I didn't.

And... looks like I missed the deadline to keep my old character? That's not a big deal. I can reroll under the new rules.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#46 Post by Alethan »

Is this rule...

viewtopic.php?p=253612#p253612

... only possible when you have to adjust to get your stats to a PR level? Or can I adjust a stat even if it is already high enough for the PR bonus?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Zhym »

I asked that one a page or so back. It's the former, unfortunately (unless Dave changes his mind).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:I asked that one a page or so back. It's the former, unfortunately (unless Dave changes his mind).
Ah, thanks. No worries.

Honestly, the LL rule is much nicer than the ODD rule. In that case, you only adjusted the score as it related to XP. So if you lowered INT from 12 to 10 in order to raise STR from 12 to 13, then that adjustment was only a PR adjustment for XP. Your STR was still 12 as far as dice rolls and STR bonuses were concerned; you were just able to get the 5% XP bonus if you were a fighter.

Why can I not find the Starting Gold information in the LL rules??? Damned old age... :-\

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#49 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Sorry, I missed the whole activation of this game.

Did you send an email out to everyone? Or were we just supposed to notice activity on the thread? Because I didn't.
No, I didn't send a PM out. I'm starting to think I probably should have.
Alethan wrote:And... looks like I missed the deadline to keep my old character? That's not a big deal. I can reroll under the new rules.
The only deadline was the start of the game. Or, if you elect to create a new character, your old character is retied. So, it's definitely not too late for you to keep rolling with Phteven if you'd like.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Zhym »

Alethan wrote:In that case, you only adjusted the score as it related to XP. So if you lowered INT from 12 to 10 in order to raise STR from 12 to 13, then that adjustment was only a PR adjustment for XP. Your STR was still 12 as far as dice rolls and STR bonuses were concerned; you were just able to get the 5% XP bonus if you were a fighter.
Is that in Moldvay? If so, I've completely missed it.
Alethan wrote:Why can I not find the Starting Gold information in the LL rules??? Damned old age... :-\
It's 3d8x10 in LL. I'm not sure on what page.

Fun fact: I initially rolled 3d6x10, thinking we were running B/X, and got a nice 130 gp. So naturally, when I re-rolled the correct 3d8x10, it came up 80.

D'oh.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#51 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:
Zhym wrote:I asked that one a page or so back. It's the former, unfortunately (unless Dave changes his mind).
Ah, thanks. No worries.

Honestly, the LL rule is much nicer than the ODD rule. In that case, you only adjusted the score as it related to XP.
I am going to limit increases to those that will contribute to your experience point bonuses. So, you can essentially increase any prime requisite up to 16 (the lowest score to reach +10%), but not higher.
Alethan wrote:Why can I not find the Starting Gold information in the LL rules??? Damned old age... :-\
Here it is:
LL:6 wrote:"All characters start with 3d8x10 gold pieces (gp)."
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#52 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:
Ah, thanks. No worries.

Honestly, the LL rule is much nicer than the ODD rule. In that case, you only adjusted the score as it related to XP.
I am going to limit increases to those that will contribute to your experience point bonuses. So, you can essentially increase any prime requisite up to 16 (the lowest score to reach +10%), but not higher.
Well, if I go halfling, then I just need 13 in STR and DEX and CON in order to get the 10% bonus, if I'm reading that right (it doesn't appear to follow the standard bonus rule), so I can't in good faith lower my INT to raise my DEX to 16.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#53 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:Well, if I go halfling, then I just need 13 in STR and DEX and CON in order to get the 10% bonus, if I'm reading that right (it doesn't appear to follow the standard bonus rule), so I can't in good faith lower my INT to raise my DEX to 16.
For a halfling, you need a 9 in STR and CON to qualify for the class, but CON isn't needed for the experience point bonus (the only prime requisites are STR and DEX).
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:Well, if I go halfling, then I just need 13 in STR and DEX and CON in order to get the 10% bonus, if I'm reading that right (it doesn't appear to follow the standard bonus rule), so I can't in good faith lower my INT to raise my DEX to 16.
For a halfling, you need a 9 in STR and CON to qualify for the class, but CON isn't needed for the experience point bonus (the only prime requisites are STR and DEX).
Right, sorry. I knew that.

So, this is what it says, though, for the 5% and 10% bonuses:
They must have at least 13 in one or the other prime requisite in order to get the +5% to experience. They must also have a STR and DEX of 13 to get the +10% bonus.
Do you read that as just having both STR and DEX above 13 to get the PR bonus? Neither needs to be at 16+ to get the 10% bonus, as it states in the LL requirements for PR bonuses on page 7? If that is so, then there is no need for me to bump either STR or DEX up to 16.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#55 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:So, this is what it says, though, for the 5% and 10% bonuses:
They must have at least 13 in one or the other prime requisite in order to get the +5% to experience. They must also have a STR and DEX of 13 to get the +10% bonus.
I will go by the book, which you quoted above. If either STR or DEX is 13 or higher he will have the 5% bonus. If both are higher than 13, then 10%. For a halfling (and maybe the other race-as-classes -- I'd have to check), there isn't a need for a 16 in order to get the 10% bonus.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#56 Post by dmw71 »

I've gone ahead and done some house cleaning on the 'Character Sheets' thread. For the time being, I've kept Junius and Phteven in the list, but I will move (not delete) them like I did the others once it's official that Alethan and onlyme have created new characters.

Speaking of new characters, please feel free to add your new characters to this 'Character Sheets' thread.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Zhym »

Is anyone working on a cleric? I really didn't roll up the numbers for one (quite the opposite, actually), but if we don't have a healer I can probably stat-swap my way to one.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#58 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Is anyone working on a cleric? I really didn't roll up the numbers for one (quite the opposite, actually), but if we don't have a healer I can probably stat-swap my way to one.
Same. WIS was the lowest score I rolled.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Zhym »

Actually, if I read the LL rules right, a cleric could have a wisdom of 3. Why else would the prime requisite table on p. 7 list penalties for low prime requisites?

Now I'm pondering running a not-very-wise cleric.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#60 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Actually, if I read the LL rules right, a cleric could have a wisdom of 3. Why else would the prime requisite table on p. 7 list penalties for low prime requisites?
True.
LL: 8 wrote:"Clerics: Requirements: None"
The only classes that have any ability score requirements are the demi-humans, who require the following:

Dwarf: CON 9
Elf: INT 9
Halfling: DEX 9, CON 9
-- Project --
-- DM --

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”