OOC I

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC I

#201 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A quarterstaff is 2 handed, correct? So AdaRue is stuck with either the shield or the broom?

If any of our fighters want the shield, please speak up.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#202 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:A quarterstaff is 2 handed, correct?
It is.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Zhym »

Would it be possible to get more "zoomed out" maps? The tactical maps are good but I have trouble placing each of them in the context of where we've been before. An overview map would make that a lot easier.

It wouldn't even have to be a full map of where we've been. Just enough so we can see where we are and where we've been in the same map. With that much I could construct a composite map if you'd rather we did our own mapping.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#204 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Would it be possible to get more "zoomed out" maps? The tactical maps are good but I have trouble placing each of them in the context of where we've been before. An overview map would make that a lot easier.

It wouldn't even have to be a full map of where we've been. Just enough so we can see where we are and where we've been in the same map. With that much I could construct a composite map if you'd rather we did our own mapping.
One doesn't exist.

Another DM ruling of mine that I know you disagree with is my reluctance to provide maps. I do for encounters using Roll20 as needed, but I don't have anything pre-built. And I use pieces from old maps to build new ones, so I don't even have any rooms "mapped" except for the current one. In this game, for the cave passages, I've been using actual images from Google searches, but they can't be interconnected either.

My only option would be to go back through through and download all the images I've shared and piece them together... which is kind of what I assume is the player's responsibility if they want to put together a map.

So, sorry! :D
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Zhym »

I thought your reluctance to provide maps had morphed over time.

Anyway, like I said, I'm not looking for an overview map. I'm more than willing to piece maps together, but the maps often don't have enough overlap to have any idea how to do that. Just a little more context in each map help. Right now, for example, I really can't figure out which way we've gone or what the map shows. Is it the side tunnel behind the door, or the main tunnel?

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#206 Post by kensanata »

I like it!
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm in agreement with Zhym, and I think my own confusion is that the orientation of each meal is different. Once I overcame that, I think I see where we've gone.

After we took the right fork (avoiding the flooded passage, which went left), we killed two goblins in a "chamber" with a fire pit. Then we back tracked and headed down a side tunnel - to the right as we exited the chamber. (To the left as we initially approached the chamber.)

At the end of that tunnel, there is a boarded archway but also, the tunnel turned left (the direction we had came from from the fork). It is in that tunnel we killed a Goblin, and the tunnel opens to another chamber, which sports a tied up warg (or something).

I don't know how it all relates to the cardinal directions though. Maybe one of the folks that looks into the forest can shed light on that.

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#208 Post by kensanata »

How do we feel about players mapping? I could use Gridmapper if the DM can confirm that dungeons will fit more or less into a grid. If not, then Gridmapper is going to be the wrong tool, I fear.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by dmw71 »

Zhym wrote:Right now, for example, I really can't figure out which way we've gone or what the map shows. Is it the side tunnel behind the door, or the main tunnel?
All the details should be there (Note: The 'dmw71' in the following quotes are links to the actual posts.)
dmw71 wrote:There's also a hint that there's a side passage to the left, just before reaching the door.
dmw71 wrote:"Before he has a chance to get a closer inspection of the door, Tom suddenly does hear movement coming from the side passage to his left..."
kensanata wrote:I could use Gridmapper if the DM can confirm that dungeons will fit more or less into a grid.
More or less, but some sections of the cave system are going to be odd-shaped, and not every passage will be straight.

As far as mapping is concerned, though, it doesn't have to be perfect. Even just noting turns taken (e.g. left, right, up, down) without being overly concerned with cardinal directions should be enough. For example, you guys enter, then...

If anyone wants to go back to the start and attempt to map the areas explored, I'll be happy to answer any questions, but I don't really have the time (or desire) to go back and do it myself.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#210 Post by dmw71 »

No update today, guys. Sorry.

That said, I did start to go back and recreate a full map in Roll20. It will take some time to fully put together, but I don't want mapping to become a huge issue. I'll also be building ahead instead of always scrambling to build the maps for new rooms you explore, so it will be a win-win.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing a lapse in time, AdaRue creates a small fire and puts a kettle on to boil. She pulls out a few pouches of dried herbs.Tea anyone? She is disappointed she only brought three cups, rather than a full set for everyone present. We'll need to take turns. And I didn't have a chance to grab any honey before we left.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#212 Post by dmw71 »

Regarding this, your THAC0 should be a 19 if I'm not mistaken. If you have any bonus(es) to hit, those should be added to your [1d20] attack roll macro (e.g. [1d20+1]), but your THAC0, which is determined by your class and level, remains unchanged.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Bluehorse »

so with where Mila is placed at the moment, even if she found a rock or threw a dart, would she have any chance of hitting the beetle or would she be at too much a risk of hitting one of her companions? Also, is she the only source of light for the group fighting the beetle or would it be illuminating itself enough (the 10') for them to be okay so she can go help unstick the ones who are trapped?

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#214 Post by dmw71 »

Bluehorse wrote:...would she have any chance of hitting the beetle or would she be at too much a risk of hitting one of her companions?
There's no risk of friendly fire, unless you roll a 1.
Bluehorse wrote:Also, is she the only source of light for the group fighting the beetle...
I list all the light sources the party is carrying in the "signature" of every update. Currently, Mila and AdaRue have lit lanterns, and Omdog has a torch. Those three, with the light from the beetle, is enough to illuminate both the vertical passage where the stuck characters are, and the horizontal passage with the rest of the group and the beetle.
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#215 Post by dmw71 »

If anyone is going to go through the "door" at the opposite end of the passageway, I will need to know who.
Door.jpg
Door.jpg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 273 times
[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: I. Tree Cave

#216 Post by onlyme »

Does Junius know where/how to step to miss the sticky stuff around the floor, assuming it is there? thinking if we retreat, the wolf may catch himself.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: I. Tree Cave

#217 Post by dmw71 »

onlyme wrote:Does Junius know where/how to step to miss the sticky stuff around the floor, assuming it is there? thinking if we retreat, the wolf may catch himself.
You can reasonably move without getting stuck to the point of being immobilized, yes.
-- Project --
-- DM --

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by AleBelly »

Hey,

A stomach bug has rolled through our house. Avout recovered now. Will catch up tonight/tomorrow.

Thanks

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by dmw71 »

AleBelly wrote:A stomach bug has rolled through our house. Avout recovered now. Will catch up tonight/tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that, man. Our house has been off-and-on sick since Christmas day (thanks a lot, brother-in-law!) and are still dealing with lingering effects. There was a solid month or two where someone (or someones) were just completely wiped out with one thing or another.

Naturally, Canun is far too ineffective to turn to for a cure. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I am sure Hubbard would advise more frequent and thorough hand washing. ;)

Hope you all feel better soon. And about further illnesses this spring.

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”