OOC I

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: OOC I

#181 Post by dmw71 »

Moved the last few "clarification" posts from the main action thread to here. I think I understand what Julius intends to do.

Today is shaping up to be a busy one. I'm super busy at work, have a meeting at my kids school afterwards, then watching the season two finale of 'The Newsroom' with the wife after that. The next update most likely won't come until late tonight.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Zhym »

onlyme wrote:Junius quickly retreats back to the group to whisper the fact that something was causing his impeccable dwarven eyesight to not register the tunnel.
kensanata wrote:A magical darkness that defies dwarf vision is something we should definitely investigate. But perhaps clearing out some goblins will be easier for us.
There's (probably) nothing magical about the darkness. That's just how dmw71 does infravision. If there aren't living bodies, you don't see anything.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by onlyme »

Zhym wrote:
onlyme wrote:Junius quickly retreats back to the group to whisper the fact that something was causing his impeccable dwarven eyesight to not register the tunnel.
kensanata wrote:A magical darkness that defies dwarf vision is something we should definitely investigate. But perhaps clearing out some goblins will be easier for us.
There's (probably) nothing magical about the darkness. That's just how dmw71 does infravision. If there aren't living bodies, you don't see anything.

I think this was different... When Junius went south, he could "see" the turn to the west clearly (see map in post), but this time, doing the same exact type of scouting, he couldnt. (Pic purposefully darkened)... Maybe I am over analyzing, but it seems to be a purposeful distinction between the two descriptions.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by dmw71 »

It's more what Zhym said. I'm not sure which previous map you're referring to, but I don't remember this right hand turn being explored previously.

The darkness is natural and not magical.

Either way, without a light source, even infravision is limited the way I interpret the rule. The picture I posted, while viewing on my phone, is darker than I intended, but you can make out a bit of detail if you zoom in on it (or, maybe if viewed on a larger display). Without a light source, Junius isn't able to make out details about the stone walls of the cave passage, but did make out a change in temperature around what he suspects is an opening or door ahead in the distance.
-- Project --
-- DM --

kensanata
Tracker
Tracker

#185 Post by kensanata »

Thank you for the clarification.
I run a blog. I also run a site for campaign wikis. I wrote a face generator, a character generator, a dungeon mapper, a Traveller subsector generator, and a hex map generator (editable as text).

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#186 Post by dmw71 »

There was some confusion after this post:
viewtopic.php?p=299825#p299825

And this map:
Goblins.jpg
Goblins.jpg (44.99 KiB) Viewed 310 times
In it, I assumed Junius had explored the left passage south all the way down until it bent to the right (left on the map). So, that full southern passage is lit; while the right turn at the end of it shows very little (this was intentional).

I think the positioning of Junius himself (I placed him where he was after returning caused the confusion).

Anyway, bottom line, it is all natural darkness down here.... so far. ;)[/ooc]
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#187 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote: Tom quickly turns and gestures for Junius to join him in the front rank while Pippin and Keebler take the second. "Cover the lantern," he hisses quietly

Then he readies his axe and shield and prepares for the goblins...
What's the status of Tom's torch?
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by dmw71 »

Quick Survey
Everyone cool with the game so far?
It the pace working?
Are the various images and maps helpful?
Any complaints (aside from my interpretation of infravision)?
---

Just trying to get a feel for the overall impression of the game so far in its early stages.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Zhym »

Well, we haven't died yet. I call that a win in your game. ;)

I didn't realize your black pictures were supposed to have any detail in them. I thought you were just being snide about how we were trying to see in the dark. Other than that, the maps are pretty helpful.

It does seem to be a weird fluke of the rules that a goblin could pop into a tunnel full of heroes with readied missile weapons, get a good look, and run for help/cover/whatever without any of said heroes being able to get a shot off, but I'll get over it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It's tough to get in on the action much with such a large group, particularly if your character isn't stealthy or a fighter. Still having fun developing the character though.

Is that thing next to AdaRue the opening covered with a few planks? If so, can AdaRue see anhthing from where she is standing with her lantern?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#191 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:It's tough to get in on the action much with such a large group, particularly if your character isn't stealthy or a fighter.
... the biggest challenge of any large group, really.

This is why large groups often end up splitting - because people get bored with being at the end of the group and missing the action up front or being in the middle and never seeing any of the action, even if it is in the end of the group.

The good news is that splitting the group often ensures that more members of the group will see some action.
The bad new is that splitting the group often ensures that more members of the group will see some action.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by onlyme »

dmw71 wrote:Quick Survey
It the pace working?
---

Just trying to get a feel for the overall impression of the game so far in its early stages.

Junius would have prefered a more refined looted short bow, but he'll do. :)

So far, so good. I do feel like we need a good old-fashioned skirmish, where all hands are active at once, to help shake down the crew.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

drpete
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by drpete »

I think the pace is good. I think the pictures are neat for giving a feeling of what's what, and am kind of amazed that you have this collection of pictures for the dungeon.

I'm a bit worried about the feeling of being a tag-a-long, but maybe it's just the fate of the back benchers generally until things get big/important enough.

There's definitely a strange vibe to the chaos in the group, and I dunno if I like it or if it just feels goofy.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#194 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:I think the pictures are neat for giving a feeling of what's what, and am kind of amazed that you have this collection of pictures for the dungeon.
For the battle maps, those I build with Roll20. For the general cave and cave passage pictures, those are just results of Google searches. ;)
-- Project --
-- DM --

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#195 Post by dmw71 »

drpete wrote:I'm a bit worried about the feeling of being a tag-a-long, but maybe it's just the fate of the back benchers generally until things get big/important enough.

There's definitely a strange vibe to the chaos in the group, and I dunno if I like it or if it just feels goofy.
As for this, the party is quite large, which has its advantages and disadvantages.

On one hand, it does make normal exploration kind of cumbersome. On the other, it's good for safety in numbers and all that (you guys have cleared four encounters without casualties, which is pretty impressive ). There aren't a lot of fighting types in the party (I'm still amazed, in a party of 10, there isn't a single actual fighter), so splitting the group may not be the safest solution, but you guys are welcome to do whatever you'd like to do.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#196 Post by Alethan »

drpete wrote: There's definitely a strange vibe to the chaos in the group, and I dunno if I like it or if it just feels goofy.
My understanding was that this group of people was fairly familiar with each other, or better yet friends or even good friends. Everyone grew up together in a small community and were all exiled together. So that's how I've been playing Tom - as if everyone is fairly well known to everyone else.

That probably doesn't mesh well if others are playing as if the characters are strangers or at the most acquaintances.

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#197 Post by dmw71 »

Alethan wrote:My understanding was that this group of people was fairly familiar with each other, or better yet friends or even good friends. Everyone grew up together in a small community and were all exiled together. So that's how I've been playing Tom - as if everyone is fairly well known to everyone else.
This is kind of how I set the game up, which, I guess, may have been my mistake.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I've been playing it that way too - that, at the least, we have tangential relationships with one another. It helps assume a level of trust and willingness to take a risk for others, which is Nice way to get started occasionally. (Having one posted on a game of escaped convicts that never got to the trust level...)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#199 Post by Alethan »

dmw71 wrote:
Alethan wrote:My understanding was that this group of people was fairly familiar with each other, or better yet friends or even good friends. Everyone grew up together in a small community and were all exiled together. So that's how I've been playing Tom - as if everyone is fairly well known to everyone else.
This is kind of how I set the game up, which, I guess, may have been my mistake.
I don't think so. I think it's a fine way to start off the game. Sometimes it's fun for everyone to start off as strangers and to build your character up from scratch. Other times its nice to start off with everyone in the party knowing everyone else and not having to go through that stage of getting to know each other.

In a PbP game, that additional step can add a significant amount of "start" time to a game. Much easier knowing everyone is already friends.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Bluehorse »

onlyme wrote:
dmw71 wrote:Quick Survey
It the pace working?
---

I'm really enjoying the game so far. It's fun getting to take the time for character development while waiting for my squishy mage to get slightly more rigid.

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”