XIII. Goblin Halls: Third Trip

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: XIII. Goblin Halls: Third Trip

#281 Post by dmw71 »

Everflowing Bottle
"Why don't we just seal this room and take the Everlasting Carafe of Crappy Water somewhere it can fill up the rest of these caves and kill off all the goblins for us?" Horatio says. "But if we left it here, they could just rig this system back up and start poisoning the town again, right?" Vernon counters, offering that there must be someone clever enough to stop the bottle in Brighton. "A simple 'dispel magic' spell might suffice to stop the bottle," AdaRue states, but admits she is not familiar with the spell herself. "Let's just grab it and go as fast as possible - being careful to not touch it - back to Brighton, so they can deal with it."

"I knew my hydrology professor was full of shit" mutters Canun, clearly caught up in his own, contrarian train of thought. The charismatic cleric clears his throat, making sure he captures everyone's attention. "We believe we have discovered the source of the river poisoning. Removing it will be of some value to the folk of Brighton. We are in a very strong negotiating position. I don't have to tell you..." he looks around doubtfully "...or maybe I do, that our position is quite weakened once we fix the problem."

"What do you say we return to Brighton and negotiate?"
he finishes, looking hopefully at Horatio.

"But, wait, if we don't fix the problem, they might not believe we can do it." Horatio offers. "What if we could, like, temporarily fix it, then come back and un-fix it if the villagers won't pay up? Like, 'Hey, nice water supply you've got now. Be a shame if something was to happen to it,' kind of thing."

Canun smiles in admiration. "An even better idea -- one I'm sure I would have thought of eventually," he adds quickly.

"You people are despicable!" Vernon protests strongly; his face rapidly growing to match the color of the dead warden's cloak. "First you insult a Warden of Brighton, and now..." The fighting man takes leave of his position at the door and carefully removes the cloak of the dead Warden. "We need to fix this permanently," he states, matter-of-factly. He approaches the well, where Keebler is examining the bottle, and begins drapes the cloak over the well, weighing it down with bones and stones.

"Don't lecture us, boy." Canun says to Vernon, looking at the fighter with bemusement. "We're trying to teach you how to improve your station in life... and you'd best listen to us: We're still here, alive, while the warden's gone and snuffed it, hasn't he?"

Vernon, still fuming at the insensitive motives of his companions, watches as Keebler concludes his inspection of the bottle, which appears to be nothing more than a simple vessel made of glazed glass:
Bottle.jpg
Bottle.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 216 times
Not finding any runes or writing on the bottle, the elf hops down and begins to search the room for a stopper.

"I'm still gonna take this down," Vernon says, hopping up to assume Keebler's vacated position at a safe angle beneath the bottle. "It doesn't seem right to play with folks' health like that." he adds.

After a few moments of study, Vernon readies himself and, his hands loosely wrapped to hopefully avoid any accidental spashage, he gently slips the bottle out of its suspension ropes.

The bootle keeps pouring "water" out its spout at a rapid rate in whichever direction it's facing!

The fighter quickly drops the spewing vessel into a large sack, but a few facts quickly become clear: The sack is not completely waterproof, and while it will "hold" a majority of the fluid entering it, it also leaks in some spots. The group also estimates, based on how quickly the sack is beginning to fill, that it will almost certainly be filled in a minute or two!

---
Some maths:
  • A large sack will hold 60 pounds of gear, or 2 cubic feet;
  • A cubic foot can hold roughly 7.5 gallons (so a large sack, which holds 2 cubic feet, can hold approximately 15 gallons);
  • Based on how quickly the sack is filling, you estimate it to be 1 gallon per round (10 seconds);
  • The sack will be completely filled in 15 rounds, or 150 seconds, or just over two minutes.

No map update for this revision.

Actions?

---

Brighton Area Map

---
Date: 4 Martius, Year 7102
Time: 11:29 (Sunrise: 06:53, Sunset: 18:37)
Temp: 62F
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • AdaRue: Protection From Evil (on AdaRue) (Expires: 4 Martius @ 11:40)
    Dimly: Paralyzed (Expires: Unknown)
    Rainey: Paralyzed (Expires: Unknown)
Character Status
  • Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (22) [5]
    Sacro | Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/5 | HP: 4-2 = 2 | Armor: Banded, Dex -1 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (15) [5] | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Sleep)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace | Spells: 1st: 2, 1, 0 (Light, Protection From Evil)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 7 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 2, 1, 0 (Detect Magic, Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Sleep)
    Keebler | Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 6 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (21) [5] | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Horatio | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 8 | Armor: Leather | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (21) [5]
    Dimly | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4 | HP: 8-6 = 2 | Armor: Scale, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Dagger, Shortbow (27) [5]
    Vernon | Fighter: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4 | HP: 8 | Armor: Chain, Shield | Weapons: Bastard Sword, Shortbow (16)
Marching Orders
Scout:
  • Junius
5-foot:
  • Junius
    Dimly
    Vernon
    Keebler
    Sacro
    Horatio
    AdaRue
    Rainey
    Canun
10-foot:
  • Junius & Dimly
    Vernon
    Keebler & Sacro
    AdaRue & Horatio
    Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None.
-- Project --
Playtest: Untitled Project (1e)
-- DM --
Greyhawk Campaign: Sandbox (1e)
(Status: Archived)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Zhym »

"May I?" says Keebler, asking for the magic vessel. He holds it over the well again with gloves or a cloth and tries every word he can think of that might be a command word, repeating each word in every language he knows (common, elvish, gnoll, hobgoblin, orc, and goblin). "Stop. Halt. Whoa. Staunch. Cease. Off. Dry. Drought. Dam. Un-flow."

~~~~~

Horatio rolls his eyes. "How about we just smash the hell out of it? That usually stops most things from working."

I don't suppose any of our clerics have Purify Food and Drink prepared? It might be worth at least a try to cast that on the vessel to see if it has an effect.
Last edited by Zhym on Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue shakes her head. It's not even noon. Let's just head back with it spilling over.
It's either staying here, poisoning the water, or we carry it there and it possible the road as we go.
She offers to carry it, not in a sack.

Seeing the party last toward taking the bottle now that he took it down, Vernon returns to the doorway to look for goblins.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Zhym »

Horatio snorts. "Dragging an endless poison fountain across the countryside? Hey, I'm impressed; that's the stupidest idea I've heard yet."

He sidles up to Canun. "What'dya think? If we put the jar back where it was and camp here overnight, you think you could try to de-skunk it tomorrow? A few more hours of bad water isn't going to kill anyone. Well, hardly anyone. Right?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:AdaRue shakes her head. It's not even noon. Let's just head back with it spilling over. It's either staying here, poisoning the water, or we carry it there and it poisons the road as we go. She offers to carry it, not in a sack.
Corrected the typo from above.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by onlyme »

Junius isnt sure the answer. Would poisoning the country side be smarter that the water? He isnt sure. He awaits the clerics' answers on cleaning the water or dispelling magic.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Zhym »

Keebler keeps trying all the words he can think of in all the languages he knows. He wonders how long it would take to read one's way through a dictionary, if one had a dictionary. Less time than it would take for the clerics to be ready to use new spells?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

AdaRue: There aren't any easy decisions here. We either hang it back up and try a few spells or take it out now. If we leave it, we either need to stay in these caves over night and hope we aren't found, or go to the woods and hope we can get back here without a fight - but all those dead bodies and the dead slug will reveal we've been here, and there's no guarantee our prayers will be effective. If we take it now, we leave an undiluted trail of this poison behind us. Or we could try to break the bottle, but if we can, it might spill the poison even faster. The midwife-cum-murder-hobo sighs and shrugs. If the majority of the party wants to wait until morning, she votes to find a more defensible place to stay. Or to, at least, find out what is on the other side of the next set of double doors.

AleBelly
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by AleBelly »

Sorry for lack of replies. We're hosting a Spanish exchange student this year and her family was in town over the last few days. Fun, but we were busy!

Canun listens to the back and forth discussion over what to do with the magical bottle. He stiffens at the suggestion of purifying it with his magic.

"And what if it's trapped? What if I cast a spell at it and it harms me? What do I get out of this risky behavior? Nother, that's what. I still say we go back into town and see what reward we get for our troubles. A pittance, if our last adventure is any guide. Rescue a bunch a prisoners for nothing but a 'Thank you.' A fool's errand, this is...". The cleric's monologue becomes a series of mutters.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Vernon, still timid from his last commupance, reminds Canun he, and the rest of this party, were paid a sack of gold before setting out by Mayor Thatcher. The word around town was that that coin was paid to rescue people and fix the water source. You've already been paid for this. You accepted.

AdaRue waits for Horatio or Canun to point out that the exact words were, "...to find out whatever is poisoning the river..."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Zhym »

Keebler:

[1d20] = 1

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

[1d20] = 17
Vernon thinks about as well as he aims will h his bow...

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#293 Post by dmw71 »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:[1d20] = 17
Vernon thinks about as well as he aims will h his bow...
PM sent.
-- Project --
-- DM --

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As Keebler rattles off word after word, hoping to find some sort of verbal trigger to stop the decanter from flowing, it made Vernon wonder about something. Say, Keebler. When I first picked it up I thought of a word. Or it popped into my head, anyhow. It's probably nothing,
but how about trying the word, "Stream"?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Zhym »

"Worth a try," says Keebler, shrugging. "Stream."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Zhym »

AleBelly wrote:Canun listens to the back and forth discussion over what to do with the magical bottle. He stiffens at the suggestion of purifying it with his magic.

"And what if it's trapped? What if I cast a spell at it and it harms me? What do I get out of this risky behavior? Nother, that's what. I still say we go back into town and see what reward we get for our troubles. A pittance, if our last adventure is any guide. Rescue a bunch a prisoners for nothing but a 'Thank you.' A fool's errand, this is...". The cleric's monologue becomes a series of mutters.
"That's 'cause you're not thinking entrepreneurially," answers Horatio. "A bottle of everflowing crap isn't worth much to anyone, right? Well, except the goblins, but we already pissed them off, so they ain't paying us. Anyway, we could probably take the bottle for free, right? If I can figure out how it works after Snap Crackle 'N Pop there gives up, and if you can make it spout clean water instead of filth, well, I don't need to tell you how we could make money off of that!"

He leans in conspiratorially. "But, y'know, just to say it: the river ain't gonna un-pollute itself instantly, right? Toxic cleanup ain't ever that easy. In the meantime, if you can un-skunk the bottle, who's gonna have the fresh water concession in these parts? That's right: us. And if we know we can switch the bottle from pouring pure water to poison with a spell, well, then we've got a gravy train. You could find a spot upriver of a town, set the bottle to poison mode, let the town start to suffer a bit, then ride in and offer an unreasonable price to save the town! That bottle's pouring out gold, man, for the people who know how to profit from it!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

:lol: :lol: :lol: errr... That's out of character, of course. ;)

dmw71
POWAH!
POWAH!

#298 Post by dmw71 »

Everflowing Bottle -- Stopped!
Vernon continues to listen as Keebler rattles off word after word, hoping to find some sort of verbal trigger to stop the decanter from flowing. "Say, Keebler." he starts. "When I first picked that thing up, a word, or a thought, popped into my head. It's probably nothing, but how about trying the word, 'stream'?"

Sure enough, once the elf repeats the word, while in possession of the bottle, it immediately stops flowing!
Chamber.jpg
Chamber.jpg (153.33 KiB) Viewed 137 times

Horatio and Canun begin engaging in conversations about entrepreneurial possibilities, but the group is left with the more immediate task of deciding what to do in the immediate future.

---

No map update for this revision. Edit: Adding map since it's been a while.

Actions?

---

Brighton Area Map

---
Date: 4 Martius, Year 7102
Time: 11:36 (Sunrise: 06:53, Sunset: 18:37)
Temp: 62F
Conditions:
  • Cool
    Breezy
Light Sources: Known Conditions/Spells in Effect:
  • AdaRue: Protection From Evil (on AdaRue) (Expires: 4 Martius @ 11:40)
    Dimly: Paralyzed (Expires: Unknown)
    Rainey: Paralyzed (Expires: Unknown)
Character Status
  • Junius | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3/2 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded, Shield, Dex -1 | Weapons: Scimitar, Sling (10), Shortbow (22) [5]
    Sacro | Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/5 | HP: 4-2 = 2 | Armor: Banded, Dex -1 | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (15) [5] | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Sleep)
    AdaRue | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 10 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace | Spells: 1st: 2, 1, 0 (Light, Protection From Evil)
    Canun | Cleric: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 7 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Mace, Sling | Spells: 1st: 2, 1, 0 (Detect Magic, Light)
    • Nelly | Mule: 2 hd | Mv: 120/40 | THAC0: 18 | AC: 7 | HP: 9 | #Attacks: 1 (kick or bite) | Damage: 1d4 or 1d3 | Morale: 8 | Carrying: 0 pounds | Max Load: 400 pounds
    Rainey | MU: 1 | Mv: 120" | THAC0: 19 | AC: 9 | HP: 3 | Armor: Unarmored | Weapons: Dagger | Spells: 1st: 1, 0 (Sleep)
    Keebler | Elf: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 4/3 | HP: 6 | Armor: Banded, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (21) [5] | Spells: 1st: 1 (Sleep)
    Horatio | Thief: 1 | Mv: 90/30 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 8/6 | HP: 8 | Armor: Leather | Weapons: Longsword, Longbow (21) [5]
    Dimly | Dwarf: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4 | HP: 8-6 = 2 | Armor: Scale, Shield | Weapons: Longsword, Dagger, Shortbow (27) [5]
    Vernon | Fighter: 1 | Mv: 60/20 | THAC0: 19 | AC: 5/4 | HP: 8 | Armor: Chain, Shield | Weapons: Bastard Sword, Shortbow (16)
Marching Orders
Scout:
  • Junius
5-foot:
  • Junius
    Dimly
    Vernon
    Keebler
    Sacro
    Horatio
    AdaRue
    Rainey
    Canun
10-foot:
  • Junius & Dimly
    Vernon
    Keebler & Sacro
    AdaRue & Horatio
    Rainey & Canun
Rolls
  • None
-- Project --
-- DM --

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Zhym »

"We should return to town at once and tell them that the source of contamination in their str—er, river—has been neutralized," says Keebler. "Other schemes can wait."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by onlyme »

Junius agrees and prepares to open the door to hopefully make their escape.

Did we check the
Room over for gens, etc.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Return to “Dave's Mega-Dungeon (LL)”