Mercenary Encampment

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mercenary Encampment

#21 Post by Spearmint »

re-rolled until an 8 came up.

specifically because of his own armour restrictions, he is looking for a bodyguard. thinking big 1/2 orc with shield, spear and spiked club. can pay up to 15gp for a weeks service. so some light infantryman would be fine, sure such a noble task to guard the Templar will able to someone.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

The unconvincing wizard comes to the camp, speaking of a Doorway to Hell and looking for volunteers to fight actual demons... there is an awkward silence as none of the erstwhile men-at-arms step forward for such an offer.

(Failed for this quest... you can try again in the Infirmary due to your Friendly status with Templars. Do another set of rolls there if you like.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Named NPCs above are known individuals, often with advanced levels or high attributes which set them apart. You may recruit them if you are their level or higher. Rates are per day or per week as a hireling, or per expedition as a retainer.
I feel like we have hired these named mercs at low levels. Call Winnie try to hire Zirina?

Typos corrected
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Marullus »

You may recruit them if you are their level or higher.
For named NPCs, Winnie can try to hire Gord.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie heads to the Mercenary Camp and locates Zirina, who she quickly sizes up as the not-in-it-for-chit-chat-type. So Winnie cuts tot he chase. My name is Winnifred Piper. My sister and I are looking for three or four of your employees to accompany us as we explore the forests north of Beith's Watch and the Witchwood. We plan to be out for one to two weeks and prefer people skilled with longbows. We're offering half of a share of whatever we find out there.

She is disappointed only one agrees to join them, but focuses her enthusiasm on the taker.

She then heads to the Infirmary and introduces herself to Brother Mylo and asks about recruiting a cleric.

Recruiting [2d6] = 9
Recruiting [2d6] = 6
Recruiting [2d6] = 4
Recruiting [2d6] = 7
Recruiting [2d6] = 11
Recruiting [2d6] = 10

I find it odd there isn't a CHA bonus on recruiting rolls. I tried for 4 hoping for 2 or 3 successes.

Didn't know how to handle the cleric. Would she Friendly with the Infirmary? I'd prefer a druid, but I don't believe there are any druids other than the 2 PCs and the vassal at Beith's Watch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I find it odd there isn't a CHA bonus on recruiting rolls. I tried for 4 hoping for 2 or 3 successes.
The Reaction Adjustment from CHA applies here, which gives you a -1 bonus for Winnie.

That gets you a re-roll on that first attempt:
Winnie [2d6-1] = 5-1 = 4 reroll
Two total.
Level 3 2 2 1 1 1 [1d6] = 1 [1d6] = 2

Zirina looks Winnie over, like she's appraising a side of beef. She nods once, then says curtly, "Woods needs looking into. These two want to do it. Make sure they come back alive." With a shrill whistle, she calls forth Halla and Bera, a pair of women with equally appraising, hard-bitten expressions. She expresses the offer you've made, to accompany you for a half-share of the treasure and a chance to see the deeper forest beyond where the lumberjacks go. "Been keen to get a grumpbear, myself," grins Halla. "Bera, she comes with me." Bera nods once, twining an arm around Halla's waist. They both have longbows, spears, and longknives. They wear furred cloaks over studded leather brigandine.

Halla, Bowwoman
Hella.jpg
Hella.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Level 3 Fighter
Stats: INT:10, DEX:15, WIS:13, STR:14, CON:11, CHR:13
HP: [3d8] = 12
Bera, Bowwoman
Berra-small.png
Berra-small.png (67.23 KiB) Viewed 555 times
Level 2 Fighter
Stats: STR:10, DEX:9, WIS:6, INT:8, CON:9, CHR:7
HP: [2d8] = 9

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Didn't know how to handle the cleric. Would she Friendly with the Infirmary? I'd prefer a druid, but I don't believe there are any druids other than the 2 PCs and the vassal at Beith's Watch.
No, as a follower of Beith, she does not begin the game Friendly with any of the other three faiths. You'll have to earn that IC before you can try to recruit someone from among them. We also established that there's not an NPC cadre at the Witchwood yet, so no Beith Druids to recruit yet. If the expedition with the two Druids on it returns, you can work that out IC.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Jernau35 »

Tollander enters the camp and looks around for any likely candidates for the job of mule-guarding. Once he sees a few candidates he asks them to gather togther while he makes his pitch.

"I'm looking for a couple of fella's to guard my mule on a trip into the mountains. We're going looking for some dwarven ruins. You'll just be standing outside with the mule, no need to go inside and do anything. The pay is three gold a week. It's likely we'll have some guards from the White Tower along too, for extra security. And in case you're thinking 'Why does he need a mule-guard if he's got fella's from the White Tower coming along?', well as you can see," Tollander holds out his holy symbol, "I work for Gwanwen and I hear they work for Baudh. They might not be too keen on watching my mule." Tollander does his best to laugh cheerfully and make the job seem like a fun little walk in the countryside.
With a CHA of 7, I think I can roll three times:
1. Recruitment roll (CHA 7) [2d6] = 11
Forgot to add his +1 modifier to that one
2.Recruitment roll (CHA 7) [2d6+1] = 3+1 = 4
3. Recruitment roll (CHA 7) [2d6+1] = 7+1 = 8

So is that one No, one Yes and one Maybe?
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Marullus »

A young lad, perhaps 11 years old or older and just small for his age, steps forward boldly. "My family 'ave always been faithful to Gwanwen. I'm a good 'and wit' horses, too. Glad to help keep your mule safe." He introduces himself as Billy.

Billy, the Horse Guard (NPC/Hireling)
3 / 15 / half-share
Studded leather, spear, shortbow
Billy.jpg
Billy.jpg (7.96 KiB) Viewed 531 times

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Jernau35 »

"Glad to..er...have your service Billy"says Tollander, startled at the boy's acceptance of the job. He feels a little guilty now for making it sound so easy.

"Well, let's go and get you some trail rations, before you end up sharing with Normal the mule". Tollander tries to smile and be friendly, something he's not always at ease with.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh man! His parents are SO going to hate Tollander when their kid comes back as a ghoul! :o

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Jernau35 »

I know! I'm already stressing out about keeping him alive. You know you have an Evil DM when he puts you in a situation like this. :)

His parents are going to feel bad even if he come's back alive. It looks like he's working for a half-share, but he's signed on to an expedition that's going out to get rid of loot, not bring it back :o

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Half an orb filled with swirling darkness? Sounds like that kid needs to bring along his evil snow globe. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Marullus »

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers arrives at the encampment, wearing his red dragon plate mail, clean shaven, and doing his best to look wind-swept and interesting. He introduces himself thus:

"I am Piers Garret, one of those who slew the dragon Scatha and saved the fair maidens of Gaul. I'm taking a short journey into the woods with several companions, to map out territory and seek out the unknown. The trip will last about a week, maybe longer. I'm in need of a couple of folk to take care of my mule."

"I've been out into the wilds before with folk, including into the lair of Scatha, and brought them back alive. I intend to do the same on this trip".

"Those that are interested in coming along, form an orderly line over here."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Marullus »

How many, total, are you willing to take along? (That's your total rolls, up to CHA max)

Their duties are "mule guard"? You don't want to just leave your mule in the town of Amistad with the others?
What capabilities are you screening for?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Jernau35 »

Minimum of 2, max of 3. Capable of defending themselves and the mule. Know how to handle the mule.

Since we seem to be walking on this trip, a mule to carry stuff seems better than just leaving it at Amistad.

I'm not sure how many rolls and re-rolls I get so I'll do 2 sets of 3

"I'm looking for folks that can use a weapon and know how to take care of a mule" Piers clarifies.

Set 1 Set 2

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

That's:
Reroll
Agrees
Reroll
Agrees
Refuses
N/A

A blue eyed maiden in her late teens. She wears her straw-colored hair in twin plaits, wearing thick leathers and holding a spear. "My name is Sylvi, I can handle a mule," she says with a smile. She whickers to your mule and befriends it, scratching it under its jaw.

A wiry lad in his mid-teens with a mop of staw-like blond hair cut unevenly around his head steps forward to join her, wearing thick leathers with a longsword. "I'm Guaire. Bad things happen on these expeditions. I'll keep 'em safe." It is unclear if he's talking about the mule or the girl, as he watches them both.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers, only nineteen himself, also has half an eye on the girl. "Well then, Sylvi, Guaire, you both look well suited for this kind of job. And Norp seems to like you". Piers grins for a moment. "How about four per day each? That seems reasonable."

I'm assuming that's 4sp? GP seems a bit steep :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Marullus »

Oh... I guess I need to change those rates. That's all wrong.

Current accurate rate is 3gp/week for what you're asking, each.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Jernau35 »

Well, 7x4sp per day would be 2.8gp per week, so let's just round it up :D

"In fact, why don't we just round it up and call it 3gp a week, each, eh?" says Piers

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”