Mercenary Encampment

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Mercenary Encampment

#1 Post by Marullus »

Mercenary Encampment

A small cluster of semi-permanent military campaign tents has been set up a few hundred yards outside the walls of Vaul, organized around a large cook-fire. A simple rope-and-post perimeter has been set up to enclose a space roughly two hundred feet square, with a simple but well-built and brightly-painted sign installed on the southern side that reads: FOR HIRE. Lying beside the sign in the mud is a massive, heavily-scarred and ornery-looking guard dog.

Zirina- available
Rates: -/-/full share
Level 5 Fighter
Banded mail, Longbow, Pair of Longswords
Achaedany - Available
Rates: -/-/full-share
Level 5 Thief
Studded leather, heavy crossbow, shortsword, Bullywug longspear
Halla - Available
Rates: 6/30/full-share
Hella.jpg
Hella.jpg (13.48 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
Level 3 Fighter
Longbow, longsword, shield, spear, longknife, banded mail armor.
Mormont- available
Rates: 6/30/half-share
Level 2 Fighter
Splint mail and shield, longsword, mace
Gord- available
Rates: 4/20/half-share
Level 1 Fighter
Studded leather, two-handed sword, spear

Please read the Retainers vs Hirelings rules.
  • Named NPCs above are known individuals, often with advanced levels or high attributes which set them apart. You may recruit them if you are their level or higher. Rates are per day or per week as a hireling, or per expedition as a retainer.
  • Other hirelings are generally available per the listing on page 48 of the Lab Lord rules and are level 1 fighters. The rate listed is the daily rate. The weekly rate is x5 and the monthly rate is x20. Zirina and the camp administrators keep track of those in town willing and interested in work, making this thread the central site. These Hirelings will generally have all average or random stats set after time of hire.
  • Most hirelings successfully recruited can be converted to retainers by offering them a share of an expedition's profit, assuming the expedition is expected to be profitable. They will expect a minimum payment of their normal wage if the expedition is unprofitable.
  • This Merchant Camp is defaulted to Friendly, allowing all PCs to recruit here.
  • Other groups require improvement of disposition to reach Friendly, but offer other benefits. Recruiting from the Lumbermen allows bowmen and longbowmen with high dexterity. Recruiting from the churches allows clerics as retainers (no hirelings). Recruiting from the Knights, Rangers, Reapers, or Templars requires being a member but allows recruiting of others as retainers (class options negotiable).
Other Locale - Forester's Camp:
A significant amount of timber is required for the building projects of the ArchDuke. A lumber yard functions just outside the north gate and to the east, where logs are debarked, seasoned, and hand-planed. Perhaps two or three dozen men traverse here in their duties, felling trees in the northern forest and seeing them put to use.
Skilled woodsmen can be recruited if you've achieved Friendly status with this group.

Alcide, Baudhic grizzled, weatherworn lumberman - Available
Rates: -/-/full share
Level 3 Fighter
Studded leather armor, longbow, longsword, two-handed bogling longspear, javelins, morlock chains, Buckskin jacket and tall boots with natural rabbit-fur lining

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Mercenary Encampment

#2 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

During his recuperation in Gaul, Amistad will visit the merc camp.

He will chuck the dog a juicy bone, remnants of some ham joint from Ma's cooking and go enquire of the folk.

"I see your sign. A likely group of hedgeknights you look too. In a few days I am clearing out a creature lair and and looking for some extra back up. See these scars show its' ferocity but I expect the reward to be worth while. What skills do you offer?

Amistad is preferably looking for a dextrous character who can remove traps, move silently and ...swim

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

A blond-braided young woman in a metal-studded leather gambeson rises and looks you over. "That scar's ugly. How much you offering for someone to help you with this?"

(Make your offer, explain the task, roll 2d6. :) )

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad is thinking, gosh, this is his lucky day. Two hot babes, one in the camp one in the barracks...

Amistad resists the temptation to ask where she got her hair done and gets straight down to business. In a few days I am going 'treasure' hunting. This bite was done by a huge cabbage headed troll, enormous beast, all fangs and talons. We chopped his head and burned his ashes. Big brother is out there maybe and I want his head, mounted on a pike outside the city gates. His lair may be underground but I have a hunter and mage comrade who will come too. Getting rid of them will be a boon to my business and any riches will be shared fairly. You can have the same full share as as my retainer has, we face the same dangers, we collect the same rewards. We go on or before the 18th May.

Amistad waits for her response and says, Can you swim?, you'll need one of these, and he offers her the Bullywug Longspear.

offer roll [2d6] = 6

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

"Name is Achaedany," she nods perfunctorily. "That's twice what others offer. Seems fair enough." not overly loquacious, she gets information on where to set out and agrees to join you.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

Foxy walks to the mercenary camp. Stopping by the notice to read and look around. Is their anyone jousting, or firing arrows at mock targets?

She hails the nearest ruffian, stepping over the boundary ropes wary of the guard dog.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

A confident and graceful woman rises and meets you as you approach. "I see you, Flame of the North," she nods in greeting. "I am Zirina. I have heard of your rescue of the children. What do you wish of my men?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"I leave town soon to hunt 'bounty' on the plain. I've a mind to visit this dukes' goblin victory site, see what measure of man rules over Gaul. Then I'll hunt 'bounty' further to the mountains. An extra sword arm and muscle would compliment my skills, which of your men do you recommend?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Zirina considers a long moment, looking Foxy over. "You have shown mettle already. Plus, you are no stranger to the dispossessed." She turns and calls to the campsite.
CHA [3d6] = 9

"Mormont! Come hear this woman's proposal." A dark-haired man in a worn surcoat comes forward, quirking an eyebrow.

(Make a proposal and do the 2d6 roll for recruitment per the book. For a full-share he'll bring his own armament.)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

Foxy steps forward to greet Mormont"What skills would you bring me Mormont since Zirina calls you first? I am going on a mage hunt, either south and west of the goblin hills or further north to The Pinnacle. I have a mage of sorts accompanying with me but I look for a strong sword arm to keep us on the front foot aggressively should we need it. Tomorrow we leave to hunt for some extra bounty from the old goblin haunt. It will test our mettle and be a proving ground for our skills and if the party works. I hope to find that the full share would be more than your daily rate so you can bring your kit on,"

Foxy circles him slowly, looking at his scars and how he bears his arms."Though I've a mind to make come with his kit off," she winks at Zirina and tosses her a bag of 20gp.

"That's five days worth, we can take it out your share when you return or mourn your loss if you don't. I leave after sunrise."

Charisma roll check [2d6] = 7

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

Mormont stands impassively as he is appraised. Clearly familiar with his arms and, judging by his formal surcoat, a man who is formally trained in both tourney and battle. When Foxy makes her lascivious comment about having his clothes off, he frowns deeply.

"No, I don't think so," he responds simply. He turns and returns to the campsite beyond the tents. Zirina shrugs noncommittally and tosses the pouch of coins back to Foxy. "His third year of penury to restore knighthood. Not much for floozies and loose women." She turns to depart as well, calling back over her shoulder, "Hardly worth it, going a place the Guard's already gone. Perhaps next time."

For these rolls, you re-roll a result of 6-8 until you get either high or low.
Foxy CHA [2d6] = 6
Foxy CHA [2d6] = 7
Foxy CHA [2d6] = 10

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint enters and mentions to the various folks there that her group is looking for a qualified and brave stable hand to assist. Pay will be fair, and no expectations of fighting or danger. Just, that they need someone to watch over some mounts for a few days.

stable boy roll [2d6] = 10

But, She can tell by the way they are staring that she probably came to the wrong place.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

Specify the max people you would be willing to hire, up to your CHA max. You are allowed to to that many checks.

If you want to try three more checks for infantrymen as Rusty suggested, you may.

I do want to avoid a "if you fail, I try next." Multiple people should roll only if you all want to succeed simultaneously. So in this case let's keep rolls with Half-pint.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint tries to convince a few more, hoping one or two will be willing.
2nd retainer [2d6] = 3

3rd attempt [2d6] = 5

4th attempt if necessary [2d6] = 3

She must be a better salesman than archer... i dont quite follow infantry comment. What would they do beyond the mere stableboy hires. ... She needs 1-3 of any sort to come and watch mounts, and would be willing to pay a bit more to get ones with more willingness to stay and not flee.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

An NPC can either be a full retainer (getting at least a half-share of the loot and willing to either adventure forward or stand guard, as directed) or a hireling for the purposes of tending the mounts. A hireling (p. 48) can either be a 0-level commoner for 1gp/week (a squire or farmboy) a 1st-level light infantry for 3gp/week or heavy infantry for 4gp/week (mercenaries, former guardsmen, etc).
Basically it means you can pay more for folks with equipment and experience. We haven't tested these rules yet so they may be subject to change in the future, but the more you pay, the better the help. Yu have three guys - how much do you want to pay them?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Since we are heading to the Lair of the Goblin King, I vote for (at least) light infantry. We know there will be gobbos, wolves and skeletons at the least.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

Foxy offered to cover the cost of a retainer up to 15gp, she has some leather armour and we could kit out a few weapons if needed.

The main duty would be caring for the animals if we needed to camp or explore without them.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Halfpint asks around, looking for any willing to assist as they go to face the goblins. Knowing they'll have light duty, but may have to face the goblins so close to home, she asks for those with some experience with arms, at least. (Three rolls for Light Infantry)

Kelso is the first to volunteer. Ginger, straight hair hangs over a fine, menacing face. Sparkling blue eyes, set low within their sockets, watch intently. Second is Garvell. White, frizzy hair gently hangs over a round, older face. Clear gray eyes are offset by an aquiline nose. A red-brown birthmark covers his right cheek and draws attention. Third is Cardan Long, curly, brown hair frames this young man's brown eyes. He is a little short and quite thin, but energetic and eager in his wish to volunteer. All three arrived with the recent caravans, working their way north as guards, and have their own leathers and spears, plus newly outfitted with shortswords and shields. "We lost good men to those goblins, we'd be glad to assist those who face them," answers Garvell, the others murmuring their assent.

Fixing prices for consistency. Light Infantry is a level 1 fighter (thus equipped) and draws a pay of 3gp/day or 15gp/week each. Morale 6 (adjusted for CHA). They come with equipment but the party must supply rations.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Templar

Puts on his best Templar ephod and linen clothes and with quarterstaff in hand goes to the mercenary camp to enquire within.

"Sturdy hearts and stout minds. Her Grace did not give you a spirit of Fear but of Power, Faith and Duty. Come then brethren and good hedge-knights, I seek 'Comrades in Arms' who are willing to share the risk and rewards both material and celestial, in cleansing the goblin dungeons of the foul taint of demonic infestation. A door to the Netherworld has spawned infernal horrors which would seek to threaten and overwhelm Gaul if left unabated. Come stand under this evangels banner to commit yourself to this noble task."

Charisma check [3d6] = 10

Idriss hopes to recruit an armour bearer type mercenary, who is willing to come and explore the dungeons. Mostly tasked with being a meat shield (less of the meat and more of the shield), to the unarmoured mage, carrying important supplies of oil and holy water. Will offer full retainer status and half share of loot found. Basic food and provisions provided.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

You need to follow the "Hiring Retainers" section on p. 46. Roll [2d6] and post it. If you roll 5-7, roll again. Keep rolling until it isn't 5-7. You can try to recruit up to three guys - you must specify beforehand how many. What category are you trying to recruit? (Leather armor swordman 15gp/week, chainmail swordman 20gp/week, chainmail crossbowman 25gp/week, leather shortbowman 35gp/week, chainmail longbowman 50gp/week)

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”