Town Business (Gaul)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Town Business (Gaul)

#1 Post by Marullus »

town.jpg
town.jpg (111.88 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
This thread is intended for adventurers to roleplay when they visit with the various businesses in Gaul. Players may ONLY post to this thread while the character they are speaking as is in town (obviously). Occasionally, NPCs may share information in this thread as well if they happen to be privy to something of interest and think it worth sharing.

Significant Locales:

General Store:
All supplies in the miscellaneous gear lists apart from vehicles and mounts are available at 20% markup (does not apply to starting equipment) due to remoteness of location and limited production. (Equipment lists are on pages 15-16 of the Lab Lord Basic rulebook.)

The following items are available in addition to those listed in the main book. (The 20% is already included)
Barrel, Wooden - 12 sp - 40 lbs
Bottle, glass - 24 sp - nil
Box, Large Iron - 360 sp - 60lbs
Box, Small Iron - 12gp - 8lbs
Cask, Wooden - 6sp - 15lbs (64 pint capacity)
Half-Cask, Wooden - 4sp - 7lbs (32 pint capacity)
Chest, Large Wooden - 12sp - 40lbs
Chest, Small Wooden - 6sp - 5lbs
Compass, bronze - 10gp - 1/2lb
Mirror, Large Metal - 18gp - 8lbs
Mirror, Small Silver - 30gp - 1/2lb
Tent - 12gp - 20lbs
Sack, large oilcloth - 5sp - 1lb
Saddle, Riding - 30gp - 25 lbs
Saddle, Pack - 30gp - 25 lbs

Butcher/Grocer
A collection of market stalls handles the goods brought in from the hearty farmers who now till the ground around the city's walls and the meat hunted by those so inclined. Flour ground at the watermill to the east of town also ensures a healthy supply of breads.

Clive the Butcher will purchase any wholesome carcasses brought in, generally 1gp for a deer, 2gp for a boar, or 3gp for a bear.

Characters purchase "days of food" and are free to RP that as reasonable food items of their choice.

Rations, unpreserved (per day) - 2sp - 1lb
(Generally: Breads, fresh fruits, preserves, soft cheeses, leafy vegetables, nuts, seeds, etc, as desired.)
Note: These expire after seven days, usually clearing from inventory at the end of an expedition.

Rations, trail (perday, preserved) - 5sp - 1lb
(Generally: Hardtack breads, dried meat / jerky, smoked fish, dried fruits, nuts, honey, hard cheeses, root vegetables, etc, as desired.)

Feed (per day) - variable cost and weight
Different pack animals consume different amounts. See the break-out below, which is to simplify accounting.
Feed, Donkey (Per Day) - 2cp - 1/2lb
Feed, Mule (Per Day) - 4cp - 1lb
Feed, Pony (Per Day) - 4cp - 1lb
Feed, Horse (Per Day) - 6cp - 1lb

Other animals (Dogs, etc.) will be designated to eat a portion of rations, sharing food with their owner for simplicity. For example, Dogs will consume a 1/2 ration per day, fresh or dried.

Adventurer Trades:
-Single blacksmith with one apprentice. Metal goods from gear lists available at 20% markup, require crafting time except for very basic items.
-Single tailor/tanner with one apprentice. Leather and cloth goods available at 10% markup, require crafting time except for very basic items.

Industrial Trades: (for hire as needed)
2 Masons
2 Carpenters
10 General Laborers

Forester's Camp:
A significant amount of timber is required for the building projects of the ArchDuke. A lumber yard functions just outside the north gate and to the east, where logs are debarked, seasoned, and hand-planed. Perhaps two or three dozen men traverse here in their duties, felling trees in the northern forest and seeing them put to use.

Merchant's Camp:
Sprawling just outside the town's south gate, this area is an ever-changing array of carts, wagons, and purveyors. No wagons travel in the winter, but otherwise the options may change each month.
- They are keen to purchase treasures unearthed here which could be resold to the south. For stranger items, they offer a low-cost purchase now, or a higher-price consignment option - if you are willing to wait to be paid and thus share the risk, there is greater potential in the reward. (I will provide the appraised value. They will purchase objects d'art immediately for 25% of appraised value. Or, they will take it on commission and return in three months (10% chance of loss) and offer you 71-130% of appraised value, depending how well it sold.)
- They also import and deal in the pricey inks and powders needed by spellcasters for scrolls, should any need them.

A shriveled old crone works from the back of her wood-enclosed wagon, bursting with herbs and oddities.
- Will identify potions for 50gp each
- Will turn one dose of Blue Tormentil herbs into potions of Extra Healing. She returns one to you for payment.

Special Items Currently for Sale:
- One set of Assayer's lenses (+1 with research rolls). 50gp. [one available]
- One set Surveyor's Tools (improves mapping accuracy). 50gp. [one available]

- Potion of Treasure Finding. 200gp. [one available]
- Potion of Water Breathing. 200gp. [one available]

Spellcaster Accoutrements:
- Scented candles (1sp each)
- Blocks of compressed, resin-based clerical incense (2sp each)

Lab equipment (from house rules)
viewtopic.php?f=353&t=5467#p245412
An aludel, for condensing vapors - 50gp
A still, for refining and fermenting substances - 75gp
A selection of hermetically-sealed containers (4) - 25gp, 25gp, 50gp, 75gp based on size
An alembic, for distillation of liquids and essences - 250gp
A ceramic retort, for simple distillation of dry substances - 50gp
A mortar and pestle, for grinding dry substances - 25gp
A small crucible, for reducing substances by fire - 50gp
A large brazier, for heating larger substances and compounds, and reduction or large elements by fire (if used with an appropriate container) - 250gp
Horse Merchant: (Available as of Greenleaf Festival)
- Galavan - Gelding Warhorse. 300gp. Belonged to a knight making his way north but who died on the journey.
- Chocolate - Mare Draft Horse. 80gp. A stoic, broad-backed beast who escaped the goblin raid. [Battle familiarity]

Rheanna the Ferrier has come north with a new stock of mounts, arriving at mid-summer. She has a variety of animals available for interested buyers, willing to explore further from Gaul, or to ply the developing roadways between northland settlements.

300gp - War Horse
90gp - Flighty Riding Horse
110gp - Stoic Riding Horse [with Battle-familiarity]
50gp - Flighty Draft Horse
70gp - Stoic Draft Horse [with Battle-familiarity]
40gp - Flighty Mule
55gp - Stoic Mule [with Battle-familiarity]
40gp - Flighty Pony
55gp - Stoic Pony [with Battle-familiarity]

30gp - Riding Saddle
30gp - Pack Saddle
180gp - Horse barding (leather with metal plate: 60lbs, AC 5)
240gp - Horse-drawn wagon
100gp - Pony cart

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Town Business (Gaul)

#2 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Heads to the market for 7 days of fresh rations before she heads out.

(-1 gp, 4 sp)
Last edited by Marullus on Thu May 19, 2016 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Showing the accounting.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Spearmint »

1st May

'Blackjack' Amistad will wander up to the foresters camp. He inquires to the foreman regarding work at the sawmill and any logging duties that he might acquire. "I heard a rumour coming out of the tavern that you had trouble in the forest. Maybe some men have got fearful and have deserted leaving you are short handed?"
Last edited by Spearmint on Sun May 29, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Aye, true enough," says a weather-beaten middle-aged man who introduces himself as Hickory.. "Creatures like I've never seen in that wood. We go in a large group to be as safe as we can, but even that's only to the forest edge, and we need to cut further in. You feel braver than that, you can feel free to ask around. The ArchDuke'll pay for long, smooth-grain boards from a part of the wood not picked-over yet."

If your goal is to timber in the woods, you can use the Retainer rules to see if any others from the camp will go with you.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

"So how do you run the business? Do you go, fell a few trees and drag the logs back immediately or is there a camp and stockade on the woods' edge?"

Amistad will have a little gaze around at the labour going on to see if he can assess how the wood yard works. It is a long time for the wood to go from tree top to table top so thinking he can earn a few gold might take more time and endeavour than he is used to. His previous labouring was just being pointed in the right direction and chop, chop, saw; next tree...

"I can ask around town, many newcomers available I could form a small rangerly crew and go check out your copse. Give you details on size, age, type of trees. Any factors like streams to ford, hollows, tree rot, squirrels and dryads nestings"Amistad tries a little jest. "For a suitable fee of course, to cover expenses and incidentals."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

"Yeah, sure, and you'd want pay in advance, right?" snorts Hickory with a chuckle. "Nothing fortified outside this town, I fear. Wood is a key need for the ArchDuke, though. We go with a large crew for safety, protected by a unit of the ArchDuke 's guardsmen, but only to the wood's edge. We fell as much as we can in a day, strip the logs and harness them, then get them back to town. Three or four days, tops, or it risks attracting more ambitious foes. Fighting off the wild things is danger enough." He shows you around the lumber yard. "All aging, planing, and milling happens here by hand, under the close watch of Gaul's walls. Our wood quality is getting poorer as we pick over the outskirts. If you bring back quality logs, we'll pay you for them. If you want to scout for information, that's up to the ArchDuke -- I only pay for wood, not ideas."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Sounds like you have a basic weekly routine. Go, come back, rest up. Of course as the town grows so will the supply and demand. You might need a daily turnaround."

Amistad will go run his hand over some smoothed planks, the yellow sawdust contrasting in his black hand. He nods in satisfaction.are any of the planks branded in any way, showing the logo of a specific logging crew or just plain boards?

"How much do you pay Mr Hickory for each log bought in?" Amistads' mind starts to mull over the maths of gp per plank, planks per log, plus loose ends sold for furniture, firewood. He can 'get by' from labouring for others or 'get rich' bossing the labour. Hmmm something to think about.

Amistad will chat with the foreman regarding these creatures in the forest, where the dukes' men drink. Does he know of any ranger or old poacher who might know the forest a little better. Is there a cabin or cave they use for security?

The 'Assessor's office's might be the place to contract a survey of the copse they want to fell next? Any advice going there, who to address?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

01 May 2021; early evening

You see no marks; this appears to be a singular operation. Hickory seems pleased to talk to someone intelligent and interested in the business. "You bring back good logs, I'll give you one to three gold each. I can do a a lot with a good log. It is hard to get good wood, aye, but most of the lumbering work is then done back here. Splitting, planing, seasoning... it is all hard work by hand. What we really need is a sawmill over by the river. That'd let us make some real change. You got any wealthy investors in your pockets, you let me know." He chuckles at himself. "Of course, the river's a bit spooky, you ask the guards who go over by the grist mill. Not easy, being that far from the town... they got spooks and everything across the river, from what I hear."

(Check the Construction and Improvements rules for the rough guidelines. If you want to invest IC, you can secure your own site, build infrastructure, and attract laborers accordingly. Owning his own lumber mill someday and securing dividends as income is pretty fun. I'll work with you to cost-out most ideas, but adventuring for gold and to push back threats from town is the first step of any plan.)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

Blackjack Amistad

Amistad looks around the yard, seeing the loggers at work. They seem busy and he guesses they won't do another orest trip for a few days. He pictures them in his own yard, hard hats and booted up with a family crest on their dungarees. "told Ma I'd build her a nice cabin and have her a rocking chair porch to siesta on. Got a strong arm and good axe for chopping trees or trolls. Owning a mill sounds grand idea though. Something to think about."

Amistad shakes hands with Hickory, thanking him for his time. His mind buzzes with the maths of turning trees into logs and logs into coins. (5 trees shorn of branches and sawn into logs, 15 logs traded at 2gp average, tithe invested for mill, remaining 1/3 for me, 2/3 for half dozen crew), gosh its' thirsty work thinking...Amistad will go check out the evening fayre at the tavern.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Post removed after a brief PM with onlyme. (Captain Jack will go in the mission from God, first.)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman

A mountain woman walks into town, smelling of pine and wet bear. She stops by the general store and looks over the goods scrutinizes a few barrels, eventually picking up a wooden cask with a grunt. "This is good. Give you 5 silver for it." If the shopkeeper does not budge, she frowns and hands over a gold piece. "You be sure to count the change right."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Grizzly Woman CHA check: [3d6] = 10

"People clinking gold together don't need to haggle over silvers," the shopkeeper smiles, holding firm on his price.
(Subtract 6 sp and add the cask to inventory. It is the pony keg and can hold 64 pints if you like. You can RP it smaller at your discretion.)

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Starbeard »

The Grizzly Woman

"Next time it'll be skins then," the woman snorts, and leaves sideways through the door with her cask.

OOC: -6sp and +1 wooden cask (64 pints)

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#14 Post by KingOfCowards »

Corbin will purchase three days of fresh rations.
6 sp deducted

EDIT: As well as flint and steel and (8) torches 2gp 7 sp 6 cp deducted

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving needs to purchase three more days of fresh rations before his group sets off.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax
purchasing:
- backpack 2gp
- 4 preserved rations 2 gp
- 5 fresh rations 1 gp
- flint and steel 2gp

Subtotal: 7 gp
+20%: 14sp
Total: 8 gp, 4 sp
Char Sheet updated

Additionally, Clay wants to find someone to establish a small park dedicated to Beith; a place for all the townsfolk to find enjoyment in nature. Preferably 10-20 acres to be preserved as close to the center of the town as possible; preferably in an area that can allow it to expand. One corner shall be marked with a boulder that shall be inscribed with "Sanctuary of Beith". The park shall remain virgin forest within the town itself; no roads will be carved through it, though walking paths may be established.

Edit: Dang! I totally forgot we are in the middle of a prairie! Doh! Maybe?

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by hedgeknight »

Casper White

Tying Ted up outside, Casper walks into the Butcher/Grocer shop. He stops and looks around for a few seconds before walking further in, looking for the owner of the shop. When Casper sees him, he says, "Fine day to ya. I'm lookin' for a few apples and maybe some carrots for my donkey. I'm thinkin' there may be an expedition headin' out on the morrow and I'd like to get a few snacks for the trail. Got any walnuts or raisins?"
Winter is coming...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

viewtopic.php?f=353&t=5467#p245403
in fact, a lot of expansion will have to be outside the town's current limits, given how narrow the area within the walls.
Sorry, no 20-acre tract of virgin forest inside the town's walls. ;) The closest thing is the natural spring and grotto already built for Gwanwen. You can establish something outside the walls?
hedgeknight wrote:"Fine day to ya. I'm lookin' for a few apples and maybe some carrots for my donkey. I'm thinkin' there may be an expedition headin' out on the morrow and I'd like to get a few snacks for the trail. Got any walnuts or raisins?"
The grocer is more than happy to assist. He does still have carrots, but the fresh apple crops are done. He has dried, sauced, or preserves. Nuts, raisins, and other dry goods are in plentiful supply. You may choose what you like. Buy as man-days rations.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

most of this was stricken and replaced two posts down with a firm offer.

Sorry, no 20-acre tract of virgin forest inside the town's walls. ;)
Give me time. I'll get to the point of being able to do that! You'll see!
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Stirling »

Virginforest?... just like the boy Clay, not interested much in planting his seed then?

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”