The Infirmary of Eruanna

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Infirmary of Eruanna

#41 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Wayfarer

With humility and respect the Templar mage enters the infirmary, lighting some devotional candles and paying his loose coppers (69cp) into the poor box collection plate. He listens to the chapel choir incant a few psalms, much a change from the hoarse bellowing and guildhall choruses of the circus ring. Did he notice a familiar figure on his way through town? Few folk parade the streets in costume unless circus born.

"Brother Mylo" he says, greeting the infirmary priest in charge,"How are the patients and penitents?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

"Worse and worse, as it is with the world," replies Brother Mylo sadly. "The woodsmen still face strange creatures as they work to bring back lumber, but now also speak of orc raids testing their meager defenses. Homesteaders to the northeast of Gaul report increase in ogre activity. There are ever more unfortunates in need of aid."

"The need for Templars is ever greater, and I am glad for your return. We know, thanks to you, about that a threat lingers beneath the old goblin hole, but it is quiescent. Something dark grows to the west as well. What did you find in your travels in that direction?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Upon returning from Idri d'dum, Able makes his way to the Infirmary and learns "something dark" grows in the west. We found lots of them mutant-critters. And an ancient map. Should we head to the West and look for the new darkness, or head to the goblin caves and root out the troubles there, do you think?

It would be an interesting quest to partner up with Foxy and go after the infernal, red-robed mages! Perhaps she would earn a remove curse from Brother Mylo, even! And I cannot fathom what Foxy would say differently to bare her soul. She's pretty open as it is. :lol:

When they are alone, Ablsforth the Wayfarer, cleric of Eruanna speaks in private with Brother Mylo.
Brother. In our travels, I found this-here medallion what seems t'let me know a person's thoughts. Or there intentions. What does our goddess say about such things? It seems t'me that a person should bear their soul willingly. But it also seems like it'd help me not get surprised by a critter looking to jump me.
I like the amulet, but I wouldn't want to irritate Eruanna, is all. Making sure it is kosher.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Wayfarer

"West to the tower we sought only led to ruins. Many of the tunnels dug under an old city were taken over by these strange hybrids. From afar we sighted a dragon and perhaps a lesser wyvern. Much stirs this land, maybe things put to rest for centuries awakened as men walk the earth anew. I personally found only sharp kobold sticks, bugging robber flies and angry hedge-apes thingy's...and these scrolls for the library."Idriss will offer the scrolls and take the opportunity to solace in a cell while studying to learn the magic's that he may cast.

let me know what the spells are and the cost for inks etc.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

Brother Mylo responds confidentially to Ablesforth's question.
"It is heavy burden, to know the secrets of another's heart, Brother Ablesforth," he begins. "If this were given to the Order, it would not be relinquished to any but the most wise Templars -- in the wrong hands it could be a devastating artifact, deepening the dark damage that secrets cause upon a soul, ensaring others in blackmail, and undertaking those things our Goddess finds abhorrent. Even I would hesitate to use it. Let us consider it thus - our Goddess revels in the revelation of truth. With such power as this, you could uncover many truths and perhaps right wrongs for those oppressed and injured by the secrets and lies. Our Goddess, however, also desires repentance as part of her mercy. A secret taken, instead of given, entwines you in its burden while providing no help to the unrepentant soul."

"Only a secret freely given is a gift to Eruanna, a repentance to free the sin and intentionally accept grace. Ensure that this item is not used such that it would deprive a soul of that mercy."
Brother Mylo nods deferentially to Idriss as he responds and accepts the scrolls. "I hope, then, that your next journey westward is more fruitful. We both must ascertain what lies beneath the goblin hole on our doorstep and also what larger forces move in that direction." He departs, taking the scrolls into the back chambers of the Templar Order for further study. "Your generosity is noted, Brother Idriss. May your gifts to the Order provide benefit to many who follow."

(Initial post updated with new available spells.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Nodding, Able continues the conversation with Brother Mylo in private.
I suspected as much, Brother M. I didn't covet this thing, but I was thinking that it's ability to uncover deep truths is like stealing. But you put it better'n I could. I'll guard it, and let Idriss know that, should I fall, it needs to be brung back to you here.

Also, I gotta confess. I was a'feared that someone might use it to look deep in my heart. I know the power of confessing, and I try to do it right. But there are some things I ain't ready to let loose of just yet. I figger other folks are the same, too. I'll not wear this amulet, nor direct it's uses at another unless I'm needing to. And I pray to Eruanna to let me know when that time'll be.
Ablesforth leaves Brother Mylo's company with a bear hug and thanks for his counsel. As he passes others in the Infirmary, he brags loudly on behalf of his fellow cleric, We're blessed to have such a wise man among us! He does this until he locates Idriss.

Brother Idriss, I was thinking of getting into them caves you spoke of, but I also heard-tell of the wickedness growing in the West. Which are you of-a-mind to explore first? He also asks his fellow devotee of Eruanna if he needs coin for copying spells. I'm use to being without coin, but honestly, I'm guessing it'll come back to me in the form of potent magics.

He has about 100gp, if Idriss needs it. Otherwise Able'll donate it to the Infirmary for the XP.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Spearmint »

if you cannot use the 100gp to learn new spells I suggest to use the gp to better equip yourself, improve armour and weapons, pack animals, hire a retainer.

Idriss will spend his money to learn the new spells that he may afford and then decide where to adventure next. See who arrives back in town during his study period.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able searches out Brother Mylo regarding the expedition in search of infernal creatures below the old goblin warren. Brother, I know holy water'll be handy, but what else would a well prepared expedition have? I don't want to be leading good folks to their deaths. specifically, Able inquire if they will need silver or magical weaponry to damage infernal or undead creatures. Will fire be effective against infernal beasts? He also inquires if Brother Mylo has access to scrolls.of protection against these creatures. And any background information he might have.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Mylo takes Ablesforth aside and replies in hushed tones. "What Brother Idriss described in his foray into the tunnels below the old goblin den is disturbing, indeed. The creatures he described - with the top half of their skull missing, cleaved such that it is an empty vessel with only nostrils and no eyes - are hellspawn from the lower planes directly. Little more than animals, they grow through time and service into greater forms in their new lives. They can be burned or struck with magic - but it cannot kill them. This is their life - they burn and suffer in the fires of their native realm constantly, but regenerate quickly. It is only something holy, something blessed - like the holy water - which can end their suffering once they're defeated. I know not what worse you might find there, but the presence of the spawn is not a good sign - it means there is a portal somewhere within, an actual doorway to their realm through which they have passed. Such a doorway must be confirmed closed, now that we know it exists, for the sake of this realm. We don't know why they've remained contained for what must be a long time, given the age of the ruin, or how long they'll remain stymied there."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Can a cleric create holy water, or is it something he has to carry? (Is it replenishable as long as he has a source of water?)

And would you look at that... "Replenishable" isn't actually a word! Or at least the computer doesn't recognize it. Who knew?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

I have allowed the Bless spell to achieve the same effect; I would allow Bless to also sanctify a small amount of still water.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Thanks. I wonder what the effects of a direct blessing on a group of them would be... Can't wait to try it and find out. Hopefully it doesn't jsut make them stronger and faster!:?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Zhym »

Psst. Ask if the hellspawn can be put down with normal weapons before being killed for good with holy water.

Still trying to figure out if Fingers needs to get silvered or iron-tipped arrows.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Right. I thought that was answered, but you're tight. It wasn't.
Able nods in understanding. What about weapons. Do they need to be blessed or silver? Or will any-old weapon work to put 'em down?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Mylo looks indecisive. "It is difficult to know, the uniqueness of demons being greater than devils. While normal weapons may work, silver is certainly better, and likely more efficatious should you run into any higher orders."

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss Templar

Idriss enters the Infirmary and spends some time offering his assistance to the poor and needy settlers and travellers who he encounters inside. The goblin raid with the skeletons was quite recent and he asks for news on the expedition that set off to wreak justice upon the raiders.

When Brother Mylo arrives he tells him of his preparations. "How can we shut a Door that no man has opened?", he asks, which then prompts further questions as to what the portal may actually look like, how it is sustained and where the particular portal leads.

"It seems to my experience that the town guards did a poor job in cleaning out the majority of the goblins but left the dungeons and cellars to fester unabated. They seem wary of re-entering the place having lost many good men inside. There is no memorial to those who died in the endeavour, perhaps our completion of the task would honour their sacrifices."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

"The mysteries of the outer planes are a topic of much study within the order," Brother Mylo replies to Idriss. "The creatures you have described are the foot soldiers, the lowest ranks of the demons of chaos. That distinguishes them from devils, which are the evil forces of the law-bound realms. Their home is their nature - they cannot divorce themselves from the realm that composes them, nor avail themselves of the freedom of choice, which is the province of those here on the Prime Material. Once the choice is made, once a soul travels to its planar destination, it cannot be undone. These creatures are bound to what they are - they are truly beyond Eruanna's grace or redemption."

"The realms do not touch, and, thankfully, they cannot access our plane easily. It is in this that your statement errs - someone must have opened the door, from this side, though perhaps long ago. In the same way it must be shut, from this side. It is possible the creatures you saw are just stranded and there is no portal, but it is a risk that must be investigated. A portal standing open between the realms can only be achieved by potent magic, and lasting for any considerable time... requires immense magical power." He rummages through the Templar artifacts and passes Idriss a scroll. "I do not know what you'll face. If you do encounter a portal, however, this magical scroll will allow you to dispel the magic which powers it. Ensure you find the true source of the magical power, as it must be targeted well to sever the link."

One scroll of Dispel Magic given.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Receives the sacred scroll with all reverence."My knowledge of scribing is that such are written by more skilled and blessed hands, whose experience outweighs our own greatly. I shall treasure the scroll and use it wisely upon the root cause of this infernal infestation, by Eruanna's guiding hand."

scroll added to inventory.

with little to add regarding the proposed expedition, Idriss will exit the Infirmary.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Spearmint »

One more question,"Are these beings counted as extra-planar beings?"

the reason I ask is that 3rd level Templars receive a divine blessing against such infernal creatures.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

Yes, explicitly.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”