The Golden Tooth Tavern

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#101 Post by Keehnelf »

"At your service, Olaf of the House of Olaf, and your family's!" Irving looks a bit blank for a moment. "Yes, I am looking for prospects. Do you know of any troubles that need to be...untroubled?" He asks, uncertainly.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Stirling »

evangelistKellstrom

Kellstrom goes over to the map, looking at the vast empty swathes of land, tracing a finger over his own route from the south some weeks ago.

"So just how far did you guys go?", he asks the returning adventurers.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:"At your service, Olaf of the House of Olaf, and your family's!"
Olaf gets a chagrined look. "Oh!" he says. "Look at me, a few years out o' the mountain and I forget all my manners. At your service and your family's, Irving of the Third Esquire, and, uh, your family's...uh, family." The dwarf bows deeply.
Keehnelf wrote:"Yes, I am looking for prospects. Do you know of any troubles that need to be...untroubled?" He asks, uncertainly.
"Not that kind of prospectin', laddie!" he says in hushed tones. Leaning in even closer, he whispers, "There be gold in them thar hills!"

Leaning back, he adds, "Though do-goodin' is good to do, too."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen
The man was standing between the dwarf and the noble-born before they knew it, a stout ale in his hand. Which was saying something considering his height and athletic build. He had three stouts in his calloused hands and passed them to the two tools in front of him. Good to meet you both. And a pleasure for your families, I'm sure. (Here's a second stout for you, Olaf.) I'm Captain Bremen. Not wanting there to be any confusion, he continued, But not a Captain here - in the southern Kingdom of Dimwood. At the base of Mount Vale. You know the one, right? A good life, but I'm here looking for a better one. You fellas look to be the sort of fellas a fella could count on in a scrape. And there are bound to be scrapes out there. What-say? He hoped this wouldn't cost him more than a few silvers...

I haven't finished buying his equipment yest, but -3 SP for the three stouts. What more do you need, really?

@ Keehnelf and Zhym, feel free to blow him off if you want.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving smiles at the drink before taking it and placing it on the counter, continuing to drink heartily from his mug of water. "A captain, eh? You know, my father was a captain, too. An honorary captain, which I'm told is an even more important kind than the usual type, because of the kinds of good things they do for the community. I imagine I'll be a captain too, someday..." He seems wistful before he adds. "Not that there's anything wrong with not being a captain, mind you. I just think...well, a title like 'Sir' or 'Captain' really adds a certain something to one's person."

KingOfCowards
Ranger Lord
Ranger Lord

#106 Post by KingOfCowards »

Marullus wrote: He nods to Corbin, though, then to Baxtaw and Fingers with him. "Stout as my beer, those lads are, though. Just skeered off some goblins and got my beer-cart back, they did. Didn't hear the rest of their story, though..." he trails off.
"So its a story you want, barkeep? As I told ya, I was with the caravan that was attacked, so I knew where to find it. Only the goblins had taken everything that was worth a damn. Markd discovered the beer in the stream, they were trying to hide it and keep it cold. After that the goboes wouldn't leave us alone, must be they don't get much good beer. We fought off two groups of them during the night, and both times they ran back with their tales between their legs." Corbin stops momentarily to wipe his mouth, and takes a drink from his ale. "Then we found one of their hidey holes, where we grabbed the rest of the loot. I'd say we killed off at least a dozen of them all told.". Corbin grins, happy with himself, before remembering the last encounter on the trip back. "Then there was the ogres. They wanted our beer too! We killed two of them, and their womenfolk surrendered, and so we sent them on their way back to wherever ogres come from."
Stirling wrote:evangelistKellstrom

Kellstrom goes over to the map, looking at the vast empty swathes of land, tracing a finger over his own route from the south some weeks ago.

"So just how far did you guys go?", he asks the returning adventurers.
Corbin shrugs, "Eh?...20 miles or so. South then southwest."

I think that's accurate, our first camp said 21 miles traveled. But I couldn't find a distance to the goblin hole we raided.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Right you are, young man! Almost as good as being named after someone. Captain Bremen rolls his eyes at the nativity of youth.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Keehnelf »

"Did you say something about scrapes, before? It seems to me I've heard some tales of goblins and ogres in these parts, that likely need driving back into the dark where they'll nay bother fine nor common folk again. Is that the kind of scraping you're on about? If so, wherever there's a need to help, that's where I'll be with my great, great, great, great, great uncle's sword." He pats the hilt. He seems to have been looking for an opportunity to unleash this prepared speech, and scans the room immediately afterward to see how it's gone over. More or less regardless of the response, he seems satisfied.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

Olaf stares at the newcomer—newest newcomer, anyway. The dwarf is clearly baffled. He's looking up at the Captain's head.

"Captain, ye say? But...I don' see a captain's hat on ye. And...we be awful far from shore. Where's yer ship?" He glances around the tavern as if expecting a sailing ship to be hiding behind one of the tables.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving smiles indulgently at his new friend. "No, no, those are sailors. Captains are a kind of soldier." He turns once again to Bremen. "Quite pleased to make your acquaintance. I'm happy to meet other southern folks here in these wild lands. We should stick together and look out for one another, as we chase after justice and peace."

Irving seems quite pleased to have made so many great friends so quickly after arriving in town, and takes another long draw on his water in a happy reverie.

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Keehnelf »

After a time, Irving stands stiffly, and turns toward the door. "I spotted a temple to Baudh as I was entering town. I should go and pay my respects before I get too far along on the next phase of this journey. I wish you well, gentlemen, and I'll soon return to make arrangements for a quest that will stir the hearts and eyes of fair maidens and bold young men for generations to come!" With this loud cry, he walks someone formally out through the front door, eyes on the floor, as though nervous he'll stumble during his exit as he did upon his entrance.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Stirling »

evangelist Kellstrom

There is a lake at the foot of the mountains here where traders camp. I was baptized in the waters there after we broke through the mountains, maybe six moons ago. Before the winter, seems like the pilgrim caravan were the last ones to make it to Gaul safely. I go down to the east mill by the river here occasionally to fetch flour for bread and communion wafers. Don't know what is beyond the waters though, as the Dukes' guards stop their patrols at the ford.

Kells traces points of local interest on the map. Baudh commends the strong who defend the weak and dispense his justice abroad. Come to the chapel before you set off again, if you give suitable tithes and offerings you may receive his blessing upon your sojourns and He will watch over you and bring you safe home again.

Kells will bring a couple of leaflets to the table, some verses detailing how the people sacrificially contributed to the building of the chapel and how in return Baudh is prospering them in return. He will then get a serving girl to give him a couple of onions. Scoffing them raw will disguise the smell of even this watery ale, the Bishop disapproves of drinking, especially before service. Kellstrom bids Mr Hyde and the caravan crew goodnight returning to evening vespers.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen
After finishing the second stout (Don't want it going to waste.) and relieving himself in the alley, the Captain politely excused himself from the tavern. He had heard what the adventurers had said and shared a few stories of his own, letting people know he would be interested in trekking into the wilderness.

What are the rooming options left?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Patting Corbin on the shoulder.My friend here is being modest. Baxtaw with a big grin. Takes a good swallow from his mug. As my friend said he led the way to where they were ambushed by those stinking goblins. It was late in the evening on the first day so we set up camp. Early morning when we were suddenly attack by 2 giant bats. And they were some of the most viscous things I did ever see. They almost killed our friend Markd there. One had pinned down. Ready to ripped his throat out. Silent cut it to pieces like the master swordsman he is. Corbin here skewered the other with his spear. Baxtaw takes another drink from his mug. On the second day we set out. Travelling all day. We found the bashed and smashed carts. Markd there found the kegs hidden under a cart in the stream. Them goblins were keeping the ale cold for us. We first had defend the kegs from our friend Fingers there. Or he would had it all drunk by the morning. THere was goblins tracks everywhere we looked most of them heading to and from the southwest. We each had a drink with our rations then set in fer the night. Carchannoi suggests decided to ride southwest on his horse to scout. We decided to set up camp away from the hidden kegs. So that we could keep watch over them during the night. About an hour after dusk, the Fingers dog begins growling low in his throat, his hair raised on his back. We begin looking where sprinkles is looking seeing several small shapes trying to hide at the edge of the firelight.The others move behind the wagon for cover. I move off into the shadows using night eyes. There leader starts hollering some goblin gibberish. Them goblins aint as dumb as ya think they would be. They was trying to talk us up till there friends got there with them. Well! we wasn't lettin that happen I tell ya. There was seven of them we killed six one being their Shaman we believe. Fingers fires an arrow at the goblin hitting him right through the eye. The Shaman done skewered himself on Corbins spear. Silent our mighty warrior was charged by five of them. He took the head right off one of them. I myself shot in the neck with Master Longbow. Silent pulls his and kills another one hitting him in the neck. The last run off in the dark screaming for its leader. Sdubok was the name, I believe. Baxtaw takes a final swig from mug. Hyde can fill me up another mug this got a hole in the bottom of it. He smiles at Hyde.

I will contnue with the story in the next post. It is late and I got to work in the morning.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Fingers picks up his ale and finds a seat near Markd, Corbin, and Baxtaw.

"So, where are we going next?" he asks. "I think we should just explore. We could set out east until we find something interesting. Or maybe we should see if there are still goblins in the goblin holes we didn't get to. And, hey, maybe we could get some more clerics to come with us!"
Since an Expedition was pitched, a Thread opened to capture this. I will open a thread to coalesce the interest when someone announces an expedition in the tavern. Hopefully this speeds things along. :)

Expedition - Fingers/Heading East - 08 May 2021

Keehnelf
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Keehnelf »

Irving bursts through the front door of the common room, stumbling once again on the threshold before catching himself. He has a broad and vibrant smile on his face as he bellows, at the top of his angelic voice: "Attention, all those who would live and die for glory and honor! We require the services of knights most bold who will venture into the darkness of the Forests of Mithra in order to restore the Shrine of Saint Horatio to the light of the Holy Church! Those with mettle and honor should gather in the square at dawn!"

Then he walks over to Olaf, also scanning the room for Bremen before shrugging, and whispers to him. "You should definitely come. We have a quest from the church of Baudh and once we do that we'll be able to drive out the goblins." As he speaks, he nods slowly, knowingly, with a fire smoldering in his eyes.

As he bursts back out through the front door as suddenly as he came, everyone is surprised to realize why the names Irving cited were both so odd and so familiar. In the popular southland children's story, the Holy Knight Attilar recovered the long-lost Shrine of Horatio in the Forests of Mithra from a band of cannibal ogres in order to win the hand of the beautiful Princess Ilyuva.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Zhym »

Fingers huffs. "Gods," he mutters. "Always gettin' people to run errands for 'em. But do they pay? Naw, it's always 'afterlife' this and 'eternal reward' that. How do I spend eternal rewards on food, that's what I wanna know."

"Hey everyone!" he calls out to the bar. "If you want to be able to keep the stuff you risk your lives for, come with me! We're gonna go exploring east! Probably kill some goblins on the way!"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Keehnelf wrote:Then he walks over to Olaf, also scanning the room for Bremen before shrugging, and whispers to him. "You should definitely come. We have a quest from the church of Baudh and once we do that we'll be able to drive out the goblins." As he speaks, he nods slowly, knowingly, with a fire smoldering in his eyes.
Olaf's brow wrinkles. He considers asking about the mission but figures he probably wouldn't understand it.

"Aye," he replies. "Baudh be good friends with Moradin Dwarf-Father. I'll join ye."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen
The Captain returns from exploring the town and sees the young noble stumbling out of the bar before being filled in the proposed expedition. Seeing this as a way to gain some status in this town, he agrees to the quest. See you in the morning.

I was thinking about trying to find another job through the town guard, but seeing this coming intobeing, I scrapped that idea. This should be good fun for the Captain. A mission from Baudh. We've gotta get the band back together!

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Dram »

Dram wrote:Baxtaw- Patting Corbin on the shoulder.My friend here is being modest. Baxtaw with a big grin. Takes a good swallow from his mug. As my friend said he led the way to where they were ambushed by those stinking goblins. It was late in the evening on the first day so we set up camp. Early morning when we were suddenly attack by 2 giant bats. And they were some of the most viscous things I did ever see. They almost killed our friend Markd there. One had pinned down. Ready to ripped his throat out. Silent cut it to pieces like the master swordsman he is. Corbin here skewered the other with his spear. Baxtaw takes another drink from his mug. On the second day we set out. Travelling all day. We found the bashed and smashed carts. Markd there found the kegs hidden under a cart in the stream. Them goblins were keeping the ale cold for us. We first had defend the kegs from our friend Fingers there. Or he would had it all drunk by the morning. There was goblins tracks everywhere we looked most of them heading to and from the southwest. We each had a drink with our rations then set in fer the night. Carchannoi suggests decided to ride southwest on his horse to scout. We decided to set up camp away from the hidden kegs. So that we could keep watch over them during the night. About an hour after dusk, the Fingers dog begins growling low in his throat, his hair raised on his back. We begin looking where sprinkles is looking seeing several small shapes trying to hide at the edge of the firelight.The others move behind the wagon for cover. I move off into the shadows using night eyes. There leader starts hollering some goblin gibberish. Them goblins aint as dumb as ya think they would be. They was trying to talk us up till there friends got there with them. Well! we wasn't lettin that happen I tell ya. There was seven of them we killed six one being their Shaman we believe. Fingers fires an arrow at the goblin hitting him right through the eye. The Shaman done skewered himself on Corbins spear. Silent our mighty warrior was charged by five of them. He took the head right off one of them. I myself shot one in the neck with Master Longbow. Silent pulls his and kills another one hitting him in the neck. The last run off in the dark screaming for its leader. Sdubok was the name, I believe. Baxtaw takes a final swig from mug. Hyde can ya fill me up another mug this ones got a hole in the bottom of it. He smiles at Hyde.

I will contnue with the story in the next post. It is late and I got to work in the morning.
Baxtaw continues on with his story. So we hear this gobbie screaming for his king or god as Fingers here was understand there language. We decided we best be moving before the one that got away brought back all his buddies. We found a secluded grove. Then we hear a bunch of them gobbies hollering and screaming. We decide to see what was going on as Carchannoi had not returned from his scouting mission. The others sneak up to a ridge. I sneak off in the dark using my night eyes. There was a dozen goblins climbing over the wagons. Them goblins were quite upset that we had found the Ale was open They found our tracks. Half have of them with torches and spears, the other half carry bows. They begin charging up the hill. Carchannoi is ahead them on his horse with a goblin on the back of saddle. There was a big boulder at the top of the ridge we pushed it over the ridge. killing one Silent cut the heads off 3 of them within seconds. Carchannoi and Mark killed another 3 of them. The 5 run off in the dark towards the Ale. They begin to push one of the kegs away. We charge down the hill. Fingers screaming at the top of his lungs "Hey! They're trying to steal our beer!" Get them bastards. We begin firing arrows at them. We killed 3 more. The last 2 were not strong enough to move the keg so they run off. Carchanno had charmed one them named Ghunk. Ghunk took us to their sleeping holes. We snuck in andkilled four more in there sleep. We found some more of the stolen goods. It was still 2 days travel to town. We set up camp. Silent, Carchannoi, and Fingers and Sprinkles take first watch. I woken up by Sprinkles barking thinking there were more goblins wanting to fight for the beer. My eyes adjusting, it wasn't goblins it was Ogres 4 of them. I sneak off in the darkness again using my training as a Elven Seeker. They begin throwing boulders into the camp. Carchannoi puts the big one to sleep Corbin burries his spear into the large one heart and finishes it. Another big one grabs a keg and starts to run off with when the big one fell. Must been it mate because it stopped dead in tracks and that's when hit it with my elven magic it fell over dead. Carchannoi charms the smaller 2 of the 4. The 2 young ogres were no threat to us. They were starving so we sent them off with a barrel of dried fish and told them to leave our lands. Then we arrived here in town the next day. He takes a drink from his mug. And he looks to his Comrades. Did I forget anything my friends?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”