The Golden Tooth Tavern

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#521 Post by Marullus »

Morning, 29 July 2021
Having secured the continued support of the dwarves and the new company of Florian and Steve of Baudh, Earc and Companions set out to Guhra's Tower to deal with Guhra's goblin band, investigate the (remaining) dungeon, and secure the structure for the use of the Blackhelm Dwarves.

viewtopic.php?f=353&t=7194&p=348566#p348566

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#522 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint pays for her room and stabling for the next month, enjoying decent meals and rest.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#523 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Does halfpint intend on returning to the tower with Earc's expedition? If so, can she indicate that IC here?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#524 Post by Marullus »

Winnie and Bianca should also roleplay their interest here. They don't need to wait for conversation in the Witchwood to conclude first.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#525 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Once the pair of witches returns to town and Winnie talks her elven sister to join her in the tavern as she did the first time, Bianca pointedly looks at her and says, "No opening books. Promise me. I don't even want to see one."

As they enter, Bianca quickly sees the group they traveled with before and nudges her sister pointing their way but is somehow troubled at not seeing the rather fanatic cleric rather than relieved. She hopes they can find another person skilled in healing arts to join them. She seems to settle down at their table more readily and seems to naturally draw their attention to her, gesturing Winnie to sit beside her and she begins to speak without introduction. "My sister and I will be joining you again on your expedition to the tower. But I feel like we should tell you some things that we should have, in hindsight, told you before. First off, yes, we are witches. We are of an Order,
but the details of inconsequential other than we follow a strict set of ethics set down by Beidth. One that is most important is that we cannot attack any natural being unless in self-defense. That is why we held back when the goblins attacked, and when you slaugh...
engaged the gnolls. We simply cannot do that, however, if we or any of you are threatened, we will defend you and ourselves. The next part is... more personal. And I will ask you to keep this to yourselves, though I know I have no way of binding you to any promise,
I hope you will take this as a sign of goodwill and trust, and in turn, honor my request...
She looks at Winnie before turning to her captive audience and leaning forward speaking in a hushed whisper, hoping the din of the tavern will keep the words between those at the table. "When I opened that book, all those days ago, I was... given a vision. Since then I have been getting more,
especially as I sleep at night. It is in the first-person point of view, but I can see hordes of undead, and somehow I know they are under my control. I also see a tower. Now I cannot honestly tell you if this is the same tower that we have been to, but the fact we found all those foul experiments and corpses lead me to believe it is a strong possibility that we may find answers to these visions there.
Before any of you say it or ask..."
She holds her hands up as if proclaiming an oath. "I have no desire to be a necromancer. In fact, the whole idea of that kind of magic disgust me to no end beyond a very fundamental academic level, but only so I may know and teach others how to better fight it. I already have too much penance heaped on my shoulders that I may never be able to atone for. But if I can find answers, then I want them." She takes and breath and looks at her sister almost apologetically before looking back to the group, her tone changing as she speaks more casually. "So there you have it. All my cards are on the table, as the saying goes. No more secrets. What say you?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#526 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Does halfpint intend on returning to the tower with Earc's expedition? If so, can she indicate that IC here?
Halfpint eventually finishes her restful week and rejoins the others as they head out to the tower's cave.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#527 Post by Zhym »

"So ye canna fight and ye be turning evil," says Olaf, summing up. "What good are ye to us, then? What can ye do?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#528 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie's pleasure at Bianca opening up is cut short by the short, bald, bald-faced dwarf. She takes a calming breath. Bianca has just said she wants no part of that. And that we can, and will fight, but are prohibited from making preemptive strikes. Much as you did not take partake in the slaying of the gnoll bitches or their pups, we have restrictions. Only ours are religious. Then she says it all in single syllable words so Olaf can understand.

We also offer is a variety of languages, the ability to carry treasure, keep watch, and help defend the party if that time comes. And I can turn someone invisible to scout ahead, if they'd like. Winnie explains that Bianca now keeps company with a mule, and that she still has the floating disc spell. Finally, she kindly reminds Olaf that it was Winnie that located the secret tunnel, and Bianca that discerned the use of Moradin's Rod. She does not, however, mention how entirely phallic and juvenile that sounds. We're coming with you again.

OOC: I only just realized how bad "Moradin's Life Giving Rod" sounds! :P

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#529 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:We're coming with you again.
"That be up to him," says Olaf, jerking his head toward Earc, expedition leader.

"Maybe we not be clear." He downs a pint of brew in one gulp and waves to Hyde for another. "The gobs got the tower by killing Funil's and Drunil's kin. Now they be using it to attack people. Kill them for their stuff. We be going to take the tower back and we not be doing it by saying please. Not by making friends with gobs. We be doing it by attacking gobs dead until the tower be Funil's and Drunil's kin's again. Ye not hae' the guts for that because of your re-lih-gee-us?" The witch seemed to have trouble saying that word, so Olaf repeats it slowly in single words so she'll understand. "Then ye stay home. We got Steve and Pony to carry treasure."

"Keeps company with a mule" doesn't sound much better. :P

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#530 Post by Alethan »

Earc scowls, "You WILL be, is it? You ARE coming along? Are you asking or telling? Because if you're telling me who will be on my team to return to Guhra's Tower, then you can just feck right off and make your own way there with someone else!"

"You both knew what you were signing up for. I made it very clear when you first approached us. Our directive from the Duke was to clear out the goblins from Guhra's tower. That means killing them; there's no way around it. They aren't going to leave just because we show up and say please. And they aren't going to stop raiding the Duke's supply trains, either. I said multiple times if you have problems with killing, then you should not join us. Yet you held back. You did not speak the truth. And, most importantly, you put us in danger when we needed help."

He absently touches a small embroidery of three bloody nails sewn into his cloak, "I'm not bothered that you can't kill certain things, though I don't see how killing a few evil goblins goes against your tenants of Beith. I certainly don't enjoy it, either, believe it or not."

"But it pisses me off that you stood there and lied to me about it. And then offered no explanation when you hid from a fight. And then there was the reckless action of grabbing that rod with the dwarven runes on it and using it when we really had no idea what it was for or what it could have resulted in! That was just as foolish as reading a magical book you had no prior knowledge of!"

He pauses and takes a deep breath, letting it out slowly. "Let's get something straight here. I'm leading this group. Everyone who signs up is my responsibility to get back alive. I take that job very seriously, so that means we all need to be on the same page. And while you can keep whatever personal secrets you want that don't affect me or this group, if you got some necromancer chanting shit in your head, you'd better fecking let us know it!"

"And if you join this group, you're going to have to kill some goblins. I'm not asking you to kill every goblin in the northern realm; I'm just asking you to take part in our mission, which is to kill the goblins in that tower." He looks over at Bianca. "When we were divvying up the items from our first venture, you kept grabbing for that sword, so I know you have it in you to kill. It wasn't just some bauble; it's a weapon designed to kill. If you want to join us, best sort that out, because I can hire any old buffoon from town to carry treasure and watch a donkey for a lot less than two full shares of treasure."

He takes another deep breath, trying to remain calm. "While Euranna demands truth, she also forgives. Since you've come out with your truths, I'm willing to forgive... as long as you're asking to join, and not demanding, and will be certain not to repeat these blunders a second time around. And, I'm sorry, but not unless you are also willing to kill goblins. This isn't a huge party and that's a huge tower. I can't take two pacifists along who want to do nothing more than sort out some necromancer stuck in your head."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#531 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie is very interested in visiting the tower with this group again.
Winnie hands over a small pouch of gold coins and two gemstones to Earc. She graciously thanks him for his services. We can talk about swapping spells while we're walking back to the tower.
quick interjection here: I used the word "will" because of a PM with Al (see second quote above), wherein part my haggling included Winnie coming out again. Also, at the end of the last adventure, I mentioned Winnie would like to join the group again and no one made an issue of it at that time (first quote above).

I assumed Earc was in agreement. If he wasn't, it would have been nice to know at the time, rather than whatever is happening right now.

So. Was there an understanding that (at least) Winnie would be joining again, or not? If not, then that's fine. I'll take it from that outburst.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#532 Post by Zhym »

In the previous expedition, I believe some in-character unhappiness was expressed with Bianca's and Winnie's participation (or lack thereof) in the fighting. I would attribute any silence in response to their stated intentions to go on the next expedition as Earc and Olaf not wanting to deal with that subject just yet.

Now we are. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#533 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Winnie is very interested in visiting the tower with this group again.
Winnie hands over a small pouch of gold coins and two gemstones to Earc. She graciously thanks him for his services. We can talk about swapping spells while we're walking back to the tower.
quick interjection here: I used the word "will" because of a PM with Al (see second quote above), wherein part my haggling included Winnie coming out again. Also, at the end of the last adventure, I mentioned Winnie would like to join the group again and no one made an issue of it at that time (first quote above).

I assumed Earc was in agreement. If he wasn't, it would have been nice to know at the time, rather than whatever is happening right now.

So. Was there an understanding that (at least) Winnie would be joining again, or not? If not, then that's fine. I'll take it from that outburst.
OOC: Apologies, Rusty. That's likely the fault of my play style more than anything else. I try very hard to stick to the rule that if I don't have it in blue, then my character didn't say it. If it isn't an action statement, then my character doesn't do it. (Unless it's some obvious summary of actions or conversation that was previously done/said IC.) I understand lots of people don't follow that so strictly and that's totally fine; it's my play style I generally worry about, not anyone else's. The first quote above was just a sentence, not an action or statement by Winnie so I didn't take it into consideration as something done or said IC.

The second might have just been tower confusion, sorry. I admittedly skimmed the sentence when it was posted and thought it was a reference to Toll's Tower because I'd posted something about him going back there.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#534 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint visits the new town facilities and admires the top notch accommodations. She has heard briefly of the honored namesake, but finds herself in awe that such a worthy and utilitarian service to the community would be named for him. Maybe one day she can stand up for evil usurpers and be so honored.

She heads back into the tavern to find her fellow adventurers arguing over the appropriate number of goblins slain before a witch becomes evil. I guess they wont have such luxurious buildings named for them, she thinks as she waits for them to debark.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#535 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie listens intently to Olaf and Earc, not interrupting. When they are finished, she takes a moment before calmly responding. Wow. You two are clearly upset. I can only apologize for letting you both down, chalking the misunderstandings up to cultural differences. We will not push ourselves on you - that was not my intent. If you allow me to, I would like to clear a few misunderstanding up, though. In our way, we were very clear with you both, but we overestimated your knowledge of our faith and culture.

We were open about worshiping Beith - look at our staffs and holy symbols, which we wear proudly. Though after we had already left it became clearer that you did not understand, so we explained we do not draw first blood. I offered several times to charm creatures we crossed, but Olaf took issue with the first group of goblins and dispelled my magic by attacking. The second group was unpersuaded when they realized Earc had already killed their entire clan. We could have taken part in that battle, but the door locked us out. When it opened, even Earc did not join in the melee. Bianca stepped to the fore when Earc was assaulted by the fire-demon, and we both did what we could against the black pudding. I died defending you both.
She looks a moment at Earc, wondering if he realizes he had just claimed responsibility for that death, but leaves off. As we left the basement I did what I could at the time, giving the potion of growth to Olaf. His growth, along with Bianca's display of magic and bravado, frightened them off, saving all our lives.

But I would hate to think that you only judge a person's merits based solely on their willingness and aptitude for killing. Were it not for me, you might still be looking under every rock for that secret tunnel. Or dead at the foot of the Tower, itself. Bianca's ill-gotten knowledge of the Rod's uses is now in the hands of the Blackhelm Clan. And the Growth potion and my spells allowed us to get back to Gaul quickly, thereby avoiding further interactions with the brigands.
She pauses to drink tea. What is more, is that neither of us endangered any of your lives. I could have easily charmed those brigands, but for the blood lust of the Blood Priest of Gwanwen. When he attacked, he sealed our fate. yet I do not see him being chastised publicly. She looks around for effect. If you do not desire our assistance as you travel there again, so mote it be. As I said, we will not force ourselves upon you. I truly do apologize if you feel we let you down, and I wish you well on your future endeavors. Winnie rises with her tea and moves to sit by the bard.

two days spent copying one more spell and eating good food. money deducted

Edit: changed the ending of her response to "so mote it be," which means the same thing, but it more Wiccan in temperament.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#536 Post by Zhym »

Olaf listens to the witch's calm but impassioned response. After she gets up to leave, he strokes his beard—well, his stubble—thoughtfully (he's still growing his beard back after that run-in with Scatha).

"She not be wrong," he tells Earc. "Earned her share, even if she be thinking gobs be charmed when they not be. Be lots she can do without fighting. And she ain't ugly, for a human. Canna hurt to have a lass like that along to sweet-talk the lads."

He sighs, and downs another drink in one gulp. "If only her sister did nae have to come with her," he grumbles.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#537 Post by Alethan »

"We shall see," Earc replies, tired of squabble and ready to depart.

"I'll not argue with you about your interpretation of your god's edicts, though I think you take them to the extreme. I hardly think natural creatures are ever evil by nature. Chaotic? Yes. But evil? That's usually a sign of the unnatural. Or that they're human... Regardless, Olaf is right. You are welcome to join us. Both of you. But no more secrets, got it?"

"We leave in an hour. Meet at the southern entrance of town. Everyone make sure you have provisions and supplies for a week, just in case...

Earc stands and heads out the door, needing to make a stop or two before they depart.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#538 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Nods to the expedition member and turns to Winnie. "I'm afraid we're wasting our time." tuning to the others at the table. "I wish you to walk in grace and good luck on your venture. Many bright bkessings on you and your's."

With that, she rises and bowa her head politely and walks to another table, assuming Winnie will join her when she is ready.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#539 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I had been hoping the party would delve in the tower, exploring the lower levels more. If the goal is to ascend and start clearing out the tower, then it really does start to push against the witches' prohibitions, in which case Earc and Olaf make good points about returning to the Tower.
If they sit this out, I'm hoping Bluehorse will roll up a new character and join you all. :)

Winnie mingles with the locals a while, then take turns with the board, singing songs for the pleasure of all present. She is surprisingly quick at picking up tunes and it isn't long before she can lead the songs about the River Ranger and the Flame of the North, though she finds the later a bit self-aggrandizing.

Winnie asks around to see if anyone would like to join Bianca and herself exploring the forest to the north for a few days.See expedition planning thread for details.

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”