The Golden Tooth Tavern

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#441 Post by Alethan »

"You should be careful about nosing about in strange tomes, elfling," Earc chuckles. "Where we're going there's bound to be more books. Maybe some like that. Don't go opening them. At least not until we can check them out, got it?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#442 Post by hedgeknight »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Winnie looks to Casper again, giving him her full attention. What else can you tell me about that book? She indicates she does not want to look at it.
"It is...quite chaotic in nature, I'm afraid. The soul of its creator tried to enter my mind as well, but by the grace of Gwanwen, I was able to shut him out. It needs to be destroyed...in my humble opinion, although I truly do not wish to see any tome, regardless of their bent, destroyed."
Winter is coming...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#443 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie takes her hands away from Bianca, but bites her lip in worry. What would have happened if he had gotten into her head, do you think? She pushes more tea at her friend. Are you sure you're okay?

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#444 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Looks irritated. "I told you, he did! Ouch!" she holds her head again and downs the tea. She groans, "It feels like something was taken out... I'm going to burn that damn book! Give it to me!"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#445 Post by Stirling »

Isaachar

Opens the creaking door to the tavern,"Fresh oil for the hinges and fresh blood for the soul."he comments to Mr Hyde, exchanging a look as the newcomer walks to the bar. He clutches a loose sheaf of paper, a copy of a recent bulletin board post, "Perhaps you may advise me as to this explorer?"he asks. He looks tall but hunches over as if to shy away from onlookers and after taking an ale looks for a sheltered corner of the tavern waiting for the Toll's Tower tenant to be introduced.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#446 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie cautions against destroying the book yet.If something was really taken it,
which it could have - you never know with magic - then it's probably in the book now. We wouldn't want to destroy both.
She asks Earc if the party can wait two or three days to depart, then asks Casper to accompany them to Beith's Watch, pointing out that Clay is there, if he wanted to see the druid.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#447 Post by Alethan »

Earc's head raises at the rustle of paper. He nudges Olaf with his elbow to wake the dwarf and says, "You're looking for me, then, aren't you?"

Playing with the bright red tufts of hair growing into something short of a beard with his left hand, Earc waves the man over with his right and motions to a chair at their table.

"I'm Earc of Toll's Tower. This here is Olaf Olafsonnson. Three 'n's, I believe, if it matters. That there is Winnie and Bianca, and-we're-leavin'-when-we-find-ourselves-a-man-of-faith-you-can-deal-with-that-book-when-we-get-back." he ends in a hushed whisper.

He pauses and wipes the growl of anger from his face, "What's your name, then?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#448 Post by Stirling »

Brother Isaachar

A well practised ring of smoke blows out from his pursed lips after drawing in a draft of crinkled hemp leaves stuffed into the lit bowl of his long pipe. He studies the group gathered at the table and notes the presence of 'the White'. Isaachar takes no extra name, no colour, no motif, no animal, though perhaps a few hushed titles are spoken of behind his back. He cares not.

"A fine family tree of sons and sons, may no axe be laid to the root of your own branch master dwarf. Ladies, good Sir, brother Casper. " he greets the folk in turn and takes a seat at their table ignoring the book and furore surrounding it. " I am Isaachar, of the Fellowship of Reapers. The wind breezed to me taunting tones through the ears of corn that this here tower eats clerics and devours the ungodly. Perhaps the seekers of its' hidden knowledge need be neither righteous or unrighteous? Is that not so?"

His stuffed backpack left by the fireside table indicates he is ready to leave for the wilds straight away.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#449 Post by Alethan »

Earc ponders the man's words for a moment before replying, "In truth, I've no idea whether it matters if you're a priest or a man of the sword or a cutter of purses - righteous or otherwise. The inhabitants of the tower are goblins. Just goblins. And they care not who they kill, as long as the plunder is good. The tower likely is just stone and mortar and doesn't devour anyone of its own accord."

"Goblins are killed easily enough, but they don't often just lay down and die on their own."

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#450 Post by Stirling »

Brother Isaachar

"Goblins? Like a swarm of rats, no matter how many you kill another pops up in its' place. How many of my flock have offered sacrificial lambs to protect their harvest and grains from such as these. Well let us hope we have to shed less blood to rid us of this infestation in the tower. I am prepared already for eventualities. Shall we proceed?"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#451 Post by Zhym »

Fingers sits down next to Caspar White.

"So, um, I been thinking," Fingers begins. He sniffles and wipes his nose on his sleeve. "I guess I don't mind the dwarves having their spear back, but I just know they're gonna say I hafta just give it to 'em. I'd swap it for something just as useful—like a really nice (i.e., +1) short sword or something. They're really good at making things, right? Do you think they might make me a really good sword in exchange for the spear?"

"Thing is, if I ask 'em myself they're gonna get all huffy, cause people don't like me. Dwarves too. But if someone would be willing to act as go-between, maybe they'd agree?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#452 Post by Alethan »

Earc nods.

"If you're ready, then I believe we're ready to depart, as well."

He turns to Winnie and Bianca, "We have already delayed enough and do not have three days to wait for you to visit the Badger about the tome. Nor is it on our way. We leave in the morning. Meet at the town's southern gate at sunrise if you would join us."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#453 Post by Marullus »

Evening, 15 July 2021

And so, with the companions gathered, the tavern buzzes with the preparations of several expeditions readying for departure. At long last everyone gets some sleep, and rises the next day.

(Cutting scenes there; please move to expedition threads. :) )

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#454 Post by Marullus »

Early Morning, July 16, 2021

Rising on the morning of July 16th, Blackjack Amistad harnesses his new draft horse, Chocolate, to a two-wheel cart and sets off to Beith's Watch, intending to meet up with Clay Weatherwax and the Grizzly Woman for a trip northward eight miles to the Kobold's Tower, hoping to collect the winching equipment and perhaps other goods.
Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2021

On the morning of July 16th, Fingers leads his group out of the city gates towards Frogmorton Ford. They cross the river after lunchtime using the Ford, notifying the guardsmen that their intended purpose is to further explore the barrowdowns located a few miles on.
Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

Earc of Toll's Tower and Companions setting out to Guhra's Tower to deal with Guhra's goblin band, investigate the dungeon, and recover the remains of fallen adventurers who tried to do the same.
Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#455 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint pays for her room through August 16th. She leaves a few inexpensive items in there.

Markd pays for his room through august 16th, leaving his older boots and other inexpensive items in there.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#456 Post by hedgeknight »

Zhym wrote:Fingers sits down next to Caspar White.

"So, um, I been thinking," Fingers begins. He sniffles and wipes his nose on his sleeve. "I guess I don't mind the dwarves having their spear back, but I just know they're gonna say I hafta just give it to 'em. I'd swap it for something just as useful—like a really nice (i.e., +1) short sword or something. They're really good at making things, right? Do you think they might make me a really good sword in exchange for the spear?"

"Thing is, if I ask 'em myself they're gonna get all huffy, cause people don't like me. Dwarves too. But if someone would be willing to act as go-between, maybe they'd agree?"

Caspar listens thoughtfully, nodding here and there, and when Fingers finishes, the priest of Gwanwen smiles. "I shall be delighted to bring your offer to my new dwarven friends. It sounds reasonable enough to me, and I should hope they would think so as well. If I have to commission the sword myself, I will see to it that the blade is ready for you when you return on your expedition. Should I request any script on the blade? A stone in the pommel perhaps? I am not accustomed to swords, you understand, but I do admire good quality workmanship."

Casper waits for Fingers' reply before standing up to leave. "Should any of you need Gwanwen's blessings for your journeys, please come and see me. If not, I bid you farewell and good fortune until next we meet."
Winter is coming...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#457 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie follows Caspar outside and asks him, privately, to hold off destroying the book until after the party returns. She expressed concern over Bianca's comment that it feels like something was taken out of her head.

When she walks back into the tavern, she tells Earc she will be ready to leave in the morning, looking to Bianca for confirmation the elf will be, too.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#459 Post by hedgeknight »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Winnie follows Caspar outside and asks him, privately, to hold off destroying the book until after the party returns. She expressed concern over Bianca's comment that it feels like something was taken out of her head.
Casper nods and offers a warm smile."You have my word. And I must apologize for not answering your earlier question. You asked,
What would have happened if he had gotten into her head, do you think? Are you sure you're okay?
The restless soul of the necromancer is grasping for purchase in this world. Your friend's mind was too weak to fight him off. Perhaps he took a small bit of her...essence, for lack of a better word, to sustain him until he can find some way to regain his power. She may have bad dreams in the days and weeks ahead, but as with most such night terrors, they dissipate with the reassurance of good friends...and perhaps a nip or two of brandy before bed." He finishes with a wink and mischievous grin.

He then takes Winnie's hand, squeezes it, and bows slightly. "Good journeys, my lady. I shall look for your return soon."
Winter is coming...

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#460 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Enters the tavern. I am in search strong heroes to finish the battle against Scatha while he is wounded.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”