The Golden Tooth Tavern

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#381 Post by Marullus »

Thanks. :)

Regis the Grey tells a stirring tale of the continuing adventures of Blackjack and his band, adventurers of the forest. He tells of Earc Orctongue of Toll's Tower and Olaf Olafsonson as well as the salty Achaedany and brazen Akkara. They speak of negotiating with ogres and orcs, of facing dryads, dragons, centaurs, walking trees, and gigantic cyclops. Of descending into the very bowels of the Morlock lair to seek the sources of their grumpbear and weaseljay abominations. The tale is well-received by the woodcutters as they drink their ale.
Alethan wrote:Earc approaches the local bard, hands him a sack of coins and says, “Here’s the gist of it. You can make up the details,” and winks.

“Five of us left for the Morlock tunnels – ‘Blackjack’ Amistad, Olaf Olafsonson, Achaedany, Akkara, and me – Earc of Toll’s Tower. We left the Frogmorton’s in the early pre-dawn of 06 July. The plan was to follow the river up to where a morlock tunnel was found in some old ruins near the confluence of the two rivers that form the Gaul River.”

“By mid-afternoon of the first day, we’d left the relative safety of the areas patrolled by the ArchDuke’s men and it was shortly thereafter that we came upon a wooden palisade protecting a bunch of tents. It was inhabited by ogres who were not terribly happy to see us. But I spoke with their leader and we agreed they should head north and look for the orcs who were poaching on their land. So that’s what they did. We continued on our way.”

“The next day, we met a dryad and then WE were the ones who were persuaded to do something against our wills! Seems she’d lost an orb she needed back. Problem was there were two very young green dragons swimming about in the nearby pool and they were the ones who took it. Amistad and I retrieved the orb for the dryad and we continued on our way, leaving the green dragons alive, but worse for wear.”

“Before we left her, though, the dryad gave us information about the morlocks. They work on their experiments in the morning. They sleep in the afternoon. They hunt the upper world at night.”

“Little did we heed her warning, though. That night we had morlocks attack our camp, trying to capture us. We fended them off.”

“The next morning, we came across some orc scouts. Like the other orcs Blackjack and I had dealt with before, they were well equipped and properly trained. Not too much for us, though, and so the northern orcs have two less of their numbers to contend with. The third one agreed to speak with us and give us information in exchange for his life. It was from him that we learned they were of one of the three Flamerock tribes – the Flayed Hand Tribe, the Red Eye Tribe, and the Black Tongue Tribe, coming from the solitary mountain peak north of Gaul. He said there were many, many in each tribe. This concerns me almost as much as the morlocks having no masters… but I get ahead of myself!”

“The morlocks tried again the following night and again we were able to decisively fight them off, capturing one of them in the process. We tried to speak with it through Akkara, who has learned their language, but got minimal information for our trials. They’ve already proven to be dangerous prisoners, able to summon wild creatures with their humming, so we did not leave it alive. Before the last one died, we learned something frightening from it. There are no more Masters. We don’t yet know what it means, but… it seems like a frightening thing to hear.”

“Finally we arrived at the ruins and found the tunnel entrance. We climbed down, using the hand- and foot-holds made into the side of the tunnel for the morlocks to use. The tunnels were twisty and full of turns, making mapping difficult. But we took our time and were rewarded by not getting lost!”

“We discovered a cavern of bat-bird hybrids we smartly left alone, but weren’t so lucky with the cavern of bug-bears. After they were defeated, we removed another group of morlocks and were approached by a dragon-puppy hybrid that we could not tame. Wounded and low on supplies, we decided to leave for Gaul with the information we had. On the way out, we came across a bunch of feathered serpents feasting on a morlock. We left them alone.”

“On our return trip, we were harassed by cyclops, watching trees, and centaurs patrolling the woods. We were attacked by a grumpbear and, not wanting to give us even a night of uneventful rest, a hoard of rodents of unusual size ate most of our supplies the last night out.”

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#382 Post by Zhym »

Can we reopen that long enough to discuss group payment for the bard's services? Or should we do that here?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#383 Post by Zhym »

Olaf looks around the tavern. "C'mon, lads. Who be up for an adventure?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#384 Post by Alethan »

Earc shrugs, "Well I am, of course. I hear there's a goblin tower near by what's got some spell books inside it. And I need them." His brown eyes seem to brighten at the last four words...

"Or we could talk to the ArchDuke about the ogre tribe entrenched just north of here, because I suspect they're up to no good. I'm betting he'd be willing to pay a good bounty on ogre heads."

"The problem with the goblin tower is that it's apparently infested with goblins. We'd have to invest some resources in clearing them out. Apparently there was an elf who tried aligning himself with them and it got him nowhere. Or at least nobody has heard from him lately..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#385 Post by Zhym »

"That be what happen when ye try lining with gobbos," says Olaf, head nodding sagely. "What works with gobbos is killing 'em."

"Gobbos or ogres, I'm with ye. Sooner be better. But let's get us a priest."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#386 Post by Marullus »

On June 11, the expedition of Markd, Bremen, Irving, Bandy, and Florin the priest returned to the city from the east, bearing treasures and religious artifacts for the church of Baudh. They have spent the last month in town with various activities, catching up to the current date of July 14th.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#387 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad gets drunk listening to the saga's of the adventures and in a epiphany of exploration zeal announces,

"I'm going to be one of the first men to climb the Pinnacle north of Gaul. Who wants to conquer the mountain with me?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#388 Post by Alethan »

Earc shakes his head, "Nah, mate, tackling a mountain with three different orc tribes gathered upon it doesn't sound like much fun to me! Not when there's so much around here to do. Good luck to you, though."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#389 Post by onlyme »

(Back-dated Scene) 12 June 2021

Markd, suffering from the normal gloomy cynical feeling that he gets everytime he is reminded of that damned curse, heads to the tavern to seek out someone on behalf of the church.
He spies Pendleton Kettlebottom exactly where he hoped to find him and sits down next to him.

In a muted voice to prevent the normal birds from hearing, he asks:
Good Citizen of Gaul. As you are quite aware, there is to be a trial in short order of an acquaintance of mine, Mr Bremen. The poor thing has fallen in bad with a devil, and I am afraid unless he sees the error of his ways and does the usual repenting and denouncing, well, I shutter to think what happens to him. The archbishop will be the judge, of course. But, well, um, I have been asked to find a suitable citizen worthy to tackle the responsibility and actually bring the charges against him in front of all. As you know, with this thing on my head, I am summarily disqualified from that position. However, I and - truth be told- the bishop felt like you would serve the town and the will of Baudh himself quite well, as you are perfectly suited for that role.

While I am sure once you think upon it, your honorable sense of duty calls you to accept, I have been authorized by the Bishop to offer you just compensation for your efforts. A couple of clerical wards shall be yours, dear man, provided you take this responsibility. I am duty bound to offer my testimony should you request it. And I can fill you in on the details as you prepare.

Once (or if) Pendleton accepts, Markd will fill him in on the important details.

If Pendleton needs more, I am sure there is a Baudhish warhammer platinum ring set, giant book and ruby necklace just sitting around to choose from :)
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added date stamp.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#390 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton looks up from his stack of papers. "Act as advocate for Baudh?" he says, raising one eyebrow. "That would be a challenge! I should probably conduct an initial intake interview to gather facts and determine whether to take the case, but I am, frankly, bored. I accept. The church may compensate me commensurately with my performance, if those terms are amenable."

"Now, please tell me what happened."

No need to answer in detail—I'll read the expedition thread. I just wanted an RP reason for Pendleton to know the facts.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#391 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym, though the whole adventure will provide insight/information, I believe the pertinent part of the story starts on page 43, when the group enters a small chamber with the relic.

For what it is worth, onlyme made a typo there. He was intending to ask Olaf to act as counsel, not Pendleton. Please take that into account while RPing the trial.
:D

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#392 Post by Zhym »

Oh my goodness. Olaf? He's nice enough, but not too bright, and not especially charismatic. Pendleton is definitely who you want as your lawyer.

And Pendleton is who we discussed in PMs.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#393 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Fine. Then how much does Bremen need to bribe someone to switch the two out? :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#394 Post by Marullus »

The above scene snippet was backdated to 12 June 2021. We will hold the actual trial in an Event thread dated to June 19. Bremen, Markd, and Bandy will advance normally to the current time stamp when that ends.

This means the trial safely ends for Pendleton a few weeks before he sets out on his current expedition so they won't conflict.

Anyone in town from the other expeditions can post as audience of the trial if they wish. :) )

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#395 Post by Marullus »

Morning, July 15, 2021

This is the current in-game date.

Adventurers who departed yesterday:
  • Ablesforth
  • Idriss
  • Pendleton Kettleworth
  • Dare the Acrobat
  • Grimble Gromble
  • Neegan
Adventurers confirmed in town:
  • 'Captain' Bremen (Special status: On hold pending Trial Event.)
  • Markd (Special status: On hold pending Trial Event.)
  • Foxy O'Hare (Special status: On hold pending Scatha events.)
  • Bandobras 'Bandy' Sandybanks
  • Baxtaw Greayburst
  • 'Blackjack' Amistad
  • Casper White
  • Earc
  • Fingers McGraw
  • Halfpint
  • Olaf Olafssonsson
  • Rhybek Baerdrum
Adventurers probably-in-town-but-pending-Expedition-returns:
  • Clay Weatherwax
  • Grizzly Woman

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#396 Post by Alethan »

Earc looks around the tavern and spots a sturdy looking man sitting alone, casually nursing his drink.

He approaches the man.

"You look like a man looking for something to do, am I right? I'm Earc, of Toll's Tower, just up the river from the Frogmorton Ford," Earc makes his introduction.

"The Archduke is offering a substantial reward for routing the goblins currently inhabiting Guhra's Tower. They've been preying on caravans recently, with a compounding negative effect on Gaul and its inhabitants."

"I have a dwarf," he points over at Olaf Olafssonsson, "who is handy with an axe. We need a man of faith and maybe a few others to round out a party willing to clear them out."

"So what do you say?" he finally asks.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#397 Post by hedgeknight »

Casper White nods at the man and says, "Nice meeting you, Earc of Toll's Tower. I'm Casper White, servant of Gwanwen. And I would be honored to join your quest. When do you plan on leaving town?"
Winter is coming...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#398 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A slender brunette slides at the next table looks up from her tea and turns towards the Earc and Casper. Pardon me. Is that where that elf and those mages disappeared? I heard stories about that. Goblins are dangerous like that, I hear. She drums her fingers on the table while absentmindedly singing a verse of a song about red-eyed goblins with sharp teeth and cunning minds, then adds, My friend and I might be interested in joining you. She's an elf, and I know a little bit of magic that might help. But I'll be useful in other ways. I've got a guard dog...

And I can weave a great story or song out of the adventure afterwards.
She knows many men want their deeds sung about, and hopes this rings true of these people as well. Better than that bard over there, anyhow...She adds in a whisper as she looks up optimistically.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#399 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

She'd been against going into town so soon. She didn't trust townsfolk. They always wanted something, and were always scheming on how to get it or harboring zealots like what happened in... she shook her head to clear the memory.

Winni had managed to talk her into coming here for a cup of tea somehow... just a cup of tea... now Bianca watched with slightly narrowed eyes as her sister joined the other table. She was already showing signs that it would indeed be a long night as she caroused the patrons and tried to make nice while she watched.

Dressed in finely made but homespun layers of lenin and lace of black on purple, with her wide brimmed hat, she looked as much an oppoaite of her brightly dressed and darkhaired companion as one could imagin. Bianca by further contrast was alarmingly quiet, and though her face seemed to naturally rest in an expression of alertness, her eyes held a scared intensity that was... bewitching... almost dreamy. Honey locks fell freely down to frame her face, making it hard to see she was elven at first. She seemed never to blink, and because of that one found themselves almost transfixed by her large dark eyes if they happened to make eye contact.

One thing the showed a link to her and her boisterous companion was her staff. It was remarkably similar in form and shape, seeming to have naturally grown straight and knarled with a wide creasent shape at the top, but there the similarities ended. Whereas Winni's was decorated with cryatals and bobbs, Bianca's had almost imperceptible scrimshaw designs from bottom to top, accented with thin wire like spiderwebs in morning dew.

Bianca looked down into her cup silently. Watching the tea leaves float, mix, steep, and settle at the bottom of her cup. She liked the bitter concoction. She stared deep into it, letting the brim of her hat cover her face. There was no need to leave just now. And Winnie was still practically right beside her. She could hear what the loud folk and her sister were saying just fine. She hoped they would leave before the crickets stopped chirping and the moon fell behind the horizon.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#400 Post by hedgeknight »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:A slender brunette slides at the next table looks up from her tea and turns towards the Earc and Casper. Pardon me. Is that where that elf and those mages disappeared? I heard stories about that. Goblins are dangerous like that, I hear. She drums her fingers on the table while absentmindedly singing a verse of a song about red-eyed goblins with sharp teeth and cunning minds, then adds, My friend and I might be interested in joining you. She's an elf, and I know a little bit of magic that might help. But I'll be useful in other ways. I've got a guard dog...
And I can weave a great story or song out of the adventure afterwards.
She knows many men want their deeds sung about, and hopes this rings true of these people as well. Better than that bard over there, anyhow...She adds in a whisper as she looks up optimistically.

Casper listens intently and then sips his ale and says, "What is your name, my lady? I don't believe I have heard of you. I am Casper White, servant of Gwanwen, and this is my soon-to-be companion, Earc. Tell me also about your friend."
Winter is coming...

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”