The Golden Tooth Tavern

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: The Golden Tooth Tavern

#281 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax
Aside from a short trip to the Userer's office and the market, Clay spends most of the 28th in his private room with a "Don't Disterb. Thnks" sign on his door.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#282 Post by Stirling »

Foxy tried that but it didn't work!

Foxy knocks anyway. "Hey Clay, how's the windmill?"

She brings a bottle of wine and some herbal tea...
"Word in the camp is skeleton goblins targeted a mage caravan and then retreated to the hills. Goblin king sounds like he is fortifying his position. Want to protect the Farrows, Gaul and your tower? I think we need to go back and retrieve these Fingers'. If I leave after the festival are you in?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#283 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As Morr thumps his tail happily at Ms. O'Hare's entrance, Clay Weatherwax smiles across his new retort as it boils from the heat of the scented candle. Droplets of deep indigo drip into a vial. It's good to see you so full of life. Beith must have plans for you - my prayers of healing worked. While carefully watching his operation, Clay shares his concerns with Foxy, agreeing that it was likely their actions that brought this new blight upon Gaul. But I believe that, by depriving the mages of the two virgin-girls, we decreased the effects by half, at least. After discussing matters, Clay agrees to accompany her on the trip with the caveat that I need to do a few things first. Have the new mage look over a few items and get Beith's meeting house started. Can you believe they named it without asking me? Just wrote it on the map like it was his decision! Don't get me wrong. "Beith's Watch" is a fine name I s'pose, but I'd've liked to have had a say in the matter. Clay slumps in his chair a moment before swapping out a full vials for an empty one.

Changing subjects, Clay asks about other things. Are you still having those dreadful dreams? And please tell me you don't still have that nasty hand. Dead things should stay dead. You'd think almost dying at the hands of zombie goblins twice would convince you. Speaking of which, how are your wounds? Would you like me to as for Beith's healing powers again?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#284 Post by Marullus »

Evening, 29 May 2021

Irving, Bandy, and Halfpint arrive back from the dwarven enclave on the evening of 29 May.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#285 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax
Clay also suggests it may be time to reveal the location of the Goblin King to the Duke's men. It is against my vows to take an action that would wipe out an entire tribe, but after much meditation on the matter, I don't see this Goblin King's reign as natural. Too many clans with one ruler and he is upholding his power with demonic creatures and the undead. If we end his reign, the goblins should scatter again, re-establishing the world's balance.

I've added 40 gp from Bandy, et al.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#286 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"No proof the warrior skeletons came from the HQ though we have a strong hunch. Better for us to get a small commando raid going. Dukes' guard ain't going further than a few miles and I would like to press on to the Monoc lair. Would your Gwanwen cleric friend come as well, more 'divine guidance' the better. I can ask the mage, maybe get a couple of others."

Foxy swings from the bottle and pats Mors head. "I believe Brother Mylo took the skin book and burned it and buried the hand. With any luck it'll crawl out the grave and squeeze him in the hassocks."

Foxy also asks Clay with regard to 'familiars and animal companions', explaining the mage Idriss lost his pet weasel and Foxy would like to replace it with another mage friendly creature. Perhaps you could advise me on finding a suitable replacement.

If enough folk express interest we leave for the goblin HQ and Monoc lair after Greenleaf.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#287 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay agrees to accompany her to deal with the Goblin King but will not go on to the Red Robes' city. It's true they seem to dabble with the occult, but we do not know their motivations. But I know yours. he explains that the mages might struggle with the Eruannan Templars, but a battle of "good" vs "evil" for its own sake is not anything that Clay is going to be involved in. I'd need proof they were upsetting the natural order of things. More than feeding occult things to a Goblin King.

At any rate, we could ask the folks I went out with last time. There was a whole crew and they just seem to want to explore. Nice folks. Hey! Speaking of nice folks, but not really nice, per se, but do you think we'll run into Balex as a skeleton warrior? That would be weird, right?
He pauses for moment, remembering the vile goblin they had befriended. Sort of.

I got rid of the other two spell books. Their with an elf and a magic user now. Your friend should talk to them about learning from those books, though these things come easier if you have a faith. He caps the second flask of deep, indigo liquid before blowing out the scented candle. He cleans his equipment and stores it in the locked trunk as he continues. I don't know much about "training" animals. Look at Maurice. He just comes and goes as he pleases, but he probably wouldn't come back if I couldn't talk with him while he roosts. I could and try and find a weasel and communicate with it, but I don't know that it would want to stay with a human. That's unnatural. They like to be out wandering the countryside killing things. They're really good at it, too!

Clay will tend to the Goblin King, but not the Monocans. I'm excited to try out my horn on a horde of skeletal goblins!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#288 Post by Marullus »

Morning, 02 June 2021

The town bustles in preparation for the Greenleaf Festival, and the Tavern closes its doors from the evening of 31 May through the festival's duration. When it re-opens at dawn on 02 June, the townsfolk wander in telling the stories of the prior day.

The day dawns brisk (54 F) with a warm wind blowing the clouds away. It promises to be sunny, a rare, rainless day warming up nicely (high of 65 F). With the events of the festival fresh behind, people begin getting back to their work and the end of the spring season.

Now that all PCs are back in town that are expected, I'm moving the timestamp to the day after the festival. All interim actions should now be moved to the Greenleaf Festival thread which will continue on in parallel. PCs can freely group up and begin to head out on expeditions at any time. Please discuss OOC as necessary on the "Expedition Planning" thread, and I will make Expedition threads as-requested. As normal, I'll announce formal departures here when you are set to go and know who's going.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#289 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Watches with interest, Casper the White study the clerical incense intently. He is surprised when Casper hands it him back and reports on it. Still Idriss understands the differing faiths have views on items blessed or arcane. Thanking him for his service, he asks Casper regarding his experience with the 'infernal' realm. Is that something Gwanwen has teachings on?

After recuperating in the tavern, Idriss concludes his ore festival studies with a visit to Wilhelm the Sage and the Infirmary.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#290 Post by hedgeknight »

Spearmint wrote:Idriss Thanking him for his service, he asks Casper regarding his experience with the 'infernal' realm. Is that something Gwanwen has teachings on?
"The blood of the wicked fuel the fires of the infernal ones." Casper quotes, half-closing his eyes. He then smiles grimly and says, "Followers of Gwanwen prefer to bless new beginnings, babies, and ventures with their blood while leaving the dealings of the devils to those who serve darkness. When next you venture out, let me know and I will say a blessing over your group."
Winter is coming...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#291 Post by Marullus »

Regis the Gray begins singing Trolls on the River Gaul, a heroic ballad of Earc Orctongue, Amistad, Alcide, and Achaedany slaying four river trolls in defense of the Frogmorton Ford community.
Marullus wrote:Expedition Tribute, sung by Regis the Gray.

Earc sits with the bard over a few drinks on the afternoon of their return and they hash out some of the details of the song. Earc purposefully keeps much of it vague, but the bard is finally able to pen a fabled song.

Trolls in the River Gaul
Coming back from 'venturing
Down the river Gaul
Blackjack, Earc, and Alcide
Ran into a wall

The wall was green and towering
With pointed teeth and claws
A troll had grabbed ahold their raft
To make them pay their tolls.

They fought it on the river bank
With sword and spear they toiled
And finally managed to bring it down
Using fire and a little oil

They told their tale later on
To the smallfolk at the Ford
But the halflings showed great concern
A'fearing there might be more

So the three great hunters headed out
To search for other trolls
Along with another pair of hands
Achaedany made four

They tracked the trolls to their lair
Set traps and lay in wait
In the dark of night two more came
Taking the human bait

'Jack's axe did its damage
Alcide's spear did more
Soon another two piles of ash
Meant they'd almost settled the score

One more troll remained
The largest and meanest of all
It took everything our heroes had
To finally make it fall

'Dany sliced it with her javelin
Earc blinded it with light
But once again 'twas oil that
Brought an end to the final fight

Now sailing up and down the Gaul
Much safer do you feel
But before you let your guard back down
Beware the screeching eel!!

And, just for fun, he also makes up a limerick...

A troll from the river of Gaul
Caught a raft up in its maw
But after a huge fight
And a bonfire of light
Felt it wasn't a good meal after all

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#292 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay Weatherwax pays for his room for the next 3 weeks.

deducted 2.1 gp

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#293 Post by Marullus »

02 June 2021

Just after sunrise, Foxy O'Hare leads a group out the southern gate and down the Farrow road to assault the goblin king. (Expedition here) Marks also leads a group out the east gate and down the road to Frogmorton Ford, on a quest for the church of Baudh. (Expedition here). Blackjack Amistad led an expedition east to Frogmorton Ford and inspected the beginnings of construction on his lumber yard.(Expedition here)

In early afternoon, a powerful horn blow reverberated clearly through town. It was urgent in its tone but far off, from the west-southwest.

Lawful only:
You innately know someone is outnumbered by their foes, and you know just how far. They are 8 miles WSW of Gaul. You could find it without getting lost.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#294 Post by Marullus »

05 June 2021

Fingers returns, having travelled to visit the dwarves and then come back.

Alcide and Achaedany return from Frogmorton Ford, Amistad's mission complete. Earc holes up in the inn suites doing research. Amistad works with his crews at his construction site.

Just after dawn, Fingers leads an expedition out the south gate and down Farrow road.(Expedition here)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#295 Post by Marullus »

18 June 2021

Two weeks pass with construction projects in full-swing following the Greenleaf Festival.
  • The dwarves complete their buildings at Idmi-d'dum, opening fully for business with the neighboring citizens of Gaul. They also now quarry the limestone used for improved construction projects at other sites.
  • A dwarven crew completed construction of Toll's Tower along the river two miles north of the main Frogmorton Ford. This was an effort commissioned by the wizard, Earc, who moves out of the Tavern and into his new home.
  • A dwarven crew completed construction of The Meeting House at Beith's Watch to the northwest of town. They report strange hybrid animals which bothered the construction site - leathery-winged lions with cow faces, swans with chicken heads and lizard wings.
  • A human crew completed construction of Pierpont's Tower just west and south of Frogmorton Ford. The prestigious wizard of the Southlands has formally taken up residence there as well.
  • A human crew labored on the Axe and Lion Lumberyard located along the river one mile north of Frogmorton Ford. They are roughly 1/3 complete with a large company-house being built for the lumbermen. They faced a half-dozen ogres who came from across the river, but drove them away with the aid of the Watch.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#296 Post by Spearmint »

Evening, July 4, 2021
(Amistad travels to town to post word late on 04 July, allowing him to stay the night at the inn and return to his logging company in time for the conversations there on 05 July.)

After the ogre attack, the Lion Logging is strengthened and the building takes on a proper form. Still incomplete, Amistad ventures to the tavern and sets about recruiting for a proposed delve into a discovered ancient mine.

Approaching the various tavern patrons and putting a bulletin upon the town notice board, he hopes to garner interest and gives a proposed date of 5th July to set out.

Inquiries are directed to Amistad at the Frogmortons ford forum.
Last edited by Marullus on Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added date and travel info.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#297 Post by Marullus »

Morning, 6 July 2021
Blackjack Amistad, Earc Orctongue, Olaf Olafsonson, Akkara and Achaedany, a small band willing to venture into the forest near the Cyclops lair to find the Morlock Tunnels, depart from Frogmorton Ford to find the tunnels and descend into them to explore whatever they find beneath.

Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole - 06 July 2021

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#298 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers Garrett

Piers opens the door to the tavern and steps inside, exclaiming,"Ah, the delights of civilization...", as he surveys the room, "...have...apparently...failed to arrive here.". Rolling his eyes slightly, he walks over to the bar. "Now then my good chap, if you can supply me with a mug of your finest ale, a plate of hot food, and a bed for the evening, I shall be a moderately happy man".
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#299 Post by Marullus »

"Hah? HAH!" laughs Hyde the barkeep loudly, "That's the best part, yeah. Not much of the hoity arrived here. We're glad you did, though!" He grins broadly, showing all of his mishappen teeth and places down the mug of his "finest" watery ale. He takes the rest of the order and brings it accordingly. "You listen to Regis the Bard, there? Good songs, good songs. Brave folk in these forgotten lands. I live the Saviors of Beer, yeah, but that Flame of the North song is right catchy."

Just check the Price List. Show whatever you buy in red OOC tags and then subtract the coins on your character sheet accordingly. These transactions are considered automatic.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#300 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers Garrett

"Ah, traditional folk songs, how...quaint. I'm afraid I'm more of an opera man myself. You know, opera." Piers clears his throat, and launches into his favourite aria.

"Mi ne povis dormi hieraŭ nokte,
Miaj najbaroj drinkis tro multe,
kaj ekbatalis
"

Piers stops as he realizes how many people are staring at him. Slightly red-faced, he turns his attention back to Hyde. "Now then my good man, you look like the kind of man who keeps his ear to the ground. Due to ...er...unforeseen circumstances, I was forced to embark upon my sojourn to your lovely town before I was able to access significant funding. As such I would be very interested in learning of employment opportunities in the field of adventuring. Many of the folk in the caravan I traveled with spoke of problems with goblins hereabouts, and of a bounty placed upon them. Could you advise me of any local knowledge of goblin lairs?"

"Now, I understand that you are a busy man, so I won't take up any more of your time, except with this last request: who else in this town might have need of a man with my...special talents?". Piers places one hand upon the head of the hammer in his belt, and touches the other to the symbol of Baudh at his throat, in order to make sure he gets his message across to Hyde.

1cp - ale
3sp - meal
1sp - room
cost subtracted.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Return to “(IC) Settlement - Gaul”