Expedition: Foxy Rides Northwest - 22 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Foxy Rides Northwest - 22 July 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

21 July 2021
Sir Albrecht considers the now-sober Foxy's introduction and proposal, including her offer of gifts for the cavalrymen and the inclusion of potential profit for himself. Given her recent actions on behalf of the town, he's hard-pressed to decline. "I am glad to see you so well recovered, Miss Coulthard. I would be glad to see you venturing beyond the city's walls. I give leave for a patrol to accompany you... you may entice them with the offer of treasure and also address their pay."

Three level 1 guardsmen, mounted bowmen, with shortbows, leather armor, shortswords. You need to pay 45gp (15gp each) for their normal week's pay. Treasure will be split in six shares with Foxy gaining two, one for each of them and one for Albrecht. XP is split in 5 shares with Foxy getting two.

I appreciate the roleplay around the initial failure! :)
  • Foxy O'Hare
  • Renvell - Mounted Bowman
  • Tocen - Mounted Bowman
  • Sephanne - Mounted Bowman

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Foxy Rides Northwest - 22 July 2021

#2 Post by Stirling »

July 22nd:

Foxy O'Hare

Finishes her 'in town' house keeping by a visit to the Infirmary for chapel prayers, paying Mr Hyde at the tavern for her suite ( pre-paid until 28th, she pays a further weeks board) and organising the tributes and character gifts. A day later she meets her troopers by the garrison.

The group have lances decorated with the Duke's colours while the three men wear plumed helms. She salutes the city gate guardsmen as she rides by and heads north-west in the direction of Beith Watch.

Beiths Watch encounter roll [1d4] = 1

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Foxy heads out the morning of July 22nd with her thee new companions. She takes the measure of them as they ride together, spending several hours trotting together along the road.

Along the way, they find the road blocked by a herd of wild boar - dangerous animals if roused, but they seem intent on digging up the roadway for some fungal delicacy. Her companions exclaim something about bacon and let fly their arrows! The boars flee and Foxy is able to corral her companions back into order and continue on their way.

All together, she finds them to be likeable, and solid soldiers deft with their bows and strong of arm. The group also seems self-selecting... she senses there's not a cup-full of common sense between them, being as they're the ones who volunteered to give up their safe and secure patrol routes to follow the "Flame of the North" into the unknown when there are reports of dragons, giants, and worse. They do seem pleased with their plumes and pennants, couching their lances along with their shortbows and longswords. Their leather armor and surcoats are plain, setting aside their Gaul sigils as they undertake your week of private employment.

She arrives at Beith's Watch to find the meetinghouse ensconced in a thicket of brambles and trees, far more than was present in this desolate landscape before. The growth appears sickly and menacing... not wholesome as you'd expect. There's also a stone dwarf statue now poised at the meetinghouse entrance.

Date: 11:00am, 22 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Distance Travelled: ~8 miles
Injuries: None

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

Reminds the three amigo's, "not to scratch in the badger-priest's presence".

Not recognising Rhybek, Foxy assumes the outstretched hand is to tie the reins of the horse to.She dismounts and after knocking waits on Clarabelle or Clay to welcome them.

"How go the dreams in this place? I hope your days are more restful." As the horses are rested and fed and the troops survey the building, out of their earshot she discusses with Clay.

"Too much is being disturbed and restored.
I am still unquiet regarding the persistent seeking for arcane knowledge of these Monoc's and that relics containing infernal power are drifting inexorably south. Scatha is the least of problems if Zhint's tomes and Zhint weapons unite. I shall survey some of the ruins beyond the vales but I fear stirrings from the cataclysm awaken. You should convene with Casper next time you travel to dwarf-ville."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

What so you mean the growth is sickly!? Crap. He's got to Bless more of the area now? Oh well...

Clay explains that the news of Zhint was new to him, having just learned of it from Pierpont. I've got business here, as you can see. My plants are all sickly, so I won't get to Idmi d'dum again for a while. I hope to get rid of the orb by giving it to the Clerics of Gwanwen. I think. Unless it has hidden powers to undo the taint on this land it was hidden in. I think it might be the cause of these plants going funny. He relays what was found at the Kobold Tower, explaining that the dwarf is not a statue, but a petrified adventurer. Avoid the chicken-lizard on the roof of the barn if you go that way. There's a mother and its chick now. Clay casts Bless on the plants that look sickly.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Clay realizes that, since he got rid of the orb to Pierpont yesterday, the new growth is fine. Just what he grew in recent weeks is blighted.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

After that sudden realization, ( :roll: ) Clay rethinks the matter. Ms. O'Hare, the orb seems to taint everything it is near. Powerfully bad dreams, sickly plants and animals. Not to mention what it is supposed to be able to do - raising undead abominations that make a mockery of the natural cycles of life and death... It needs to be destroyed.

Your dedication to stymieing the Red Robes from recreating the works of Zhint is obvious. If you'll take it on, I give you permission to retrieve the Orb from its current location to destroy it. I'll help if I'm able, but I have another quest from my goddess that takes precedence.

Marullus told me in my private thread I cannot just turn it over to the Temple of Gwanwen for destruction. It'll have to be a quest, but Clay is already dedicated to unplugging the Well of the Worlds, wherever that is, and whatever it means to be able to do that... :P Clay would help if our two paths parallel though. And it seems like Foxy would love to be able to tell the Monocs that she destroyed such a powerful artifact - that it is forever beyond their reach. :) Interested?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"The Bishop of Baudh too is rumoured to be 'under the influence' and I don't mean the demon drink, just the demon. So another wise man going mad won't make much difference. Let Peirpont study what he may of the orb while sane. We can deal with these things as we know more. All this might just be a dwarven thing anyway. I will pass back this way in a week hopefully and blag some more tavern tales."

With that Foxy will mount up with the troopers to make good use of the daylight. As an afterthought, she takes the reins from the hand of stone Rhybek and with her scimitar blade taps him on the shoulder as if 'knighting' him.

"I charge you stone dwarf to guard this tower and serve these denizens from all evil corruption and infernal influences and aid their quests."

giving in to the urge to scratch ticks, she waves and departs.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

I need a bearing or a map-plot for where Foxy is going when she departs.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

There is a city in the forest, beyond the Tower with the chicken lizards. And I heard there is another city to the west-by-southwest, though I don't know exactly. Tales from Fingers' trip that way told of giants and a small drag-like thing. And corpse flies.

Also, there is an invisible tiger with gossamer wings in the plains. He seems to be partial to four-legged beasts, and yours look like they'd interest him.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Stirling »

that there was the tower straight north, (This is the Kobold Tower) and another the same distance northwest. (unchartered) Forest's edge curves around close near both towers. Straight west he spied a whole ruined city. (dwarf sapper tunnels under city walls at compass points around the city), gatehouse and towers unexplored in town centre, kobold pit traps en route.
Foxy has read the basic reports. Hill giants and wyverns. I think the city in the forest is another place pre-cataclysm, not sure.

As for direction we will ride directly west about 16 miles ( 2 hex) and then go North. My aim is to circumnavigate the ruined city on the 'return' journey. If we can make the next leg safely I would seek a grove or copse to camp in and make good camouflage to shield use from predators.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

Foxy sets off due west from Beith's Watch, the four horsemen riding at an easy pace, the speed set by Foxy's sturdy warhorse and easily maintained by her fleeter companions. It is early afternoon, about four miles) when they see the ruins of the city appear on the horizon to the northwest. Continuing her course, the group passes by the city as the afternoon progresses, keeping it a suitable distance off to their right. The ride is uneventful - the rolling grasslands continuing ahead and to the north, undulating hills near at hand to the south, the mountains further off and forming the southern horizon. It is early evening, the city now squarely oriented behind the group to the northeast, when Foxy comes upon a cobbled road. It winds across the grasslands, northeast to the city and southwest into the hills, surviving the ravages of time quite well. As her group approaches, slowing their pace to more closely observe surroundings, that they are ambushed.

A pack of ravenous ghouls, hidden in the grasses springs forth, catching the four riders utterly by surprise. They are utterly savage, attempting to tear down both horse and rider. Foxy and Renvell manage to fight off four of them, but the other four ghouls are able to overpower both Tocen and Sephanne and their steeds, all of them taking severe wounds from the teeth and claws of the horrid undead. Foxy fears the worst, knowing the paralytic powers of the ghoul's attacks, but her companions seem to fair well - Tocen and Sephanne are both severely wounded but not overcome - Tocen remains mounted, his horse likewise wounded but mobile. Sephanne rolls free of her horse which screams in terror as its limbs lock and it collapses under their claws and fangs, paralyzed.

(Actions!)

Date: 5:00pm, 22 July 2021
Distance Travelled: ~20 miles
Injuries: Tocen (severely wounded), Sephanne (severely wounded), Tocen's horse (Moderately wounded), Sephanne's horse (moderately wounded, paralyzed)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare rues the lack of a cleric and taking extra mounts.

Sephanne, draws her longsword blade and slices at the ghoul attempting to reach her over the top of her mount. The two troopers do a small about turn and in unison spur their mounts into a charge over a short distance to spear the closest two ghouls. The horses trampling as they go. Foxy kicks out at Galavan to urge him into battle. Withdrawing a fiery blade she hacks at another grasping ghoul.

Sephanne to hit [1d20] = 17 damage [1d8] = 6

Tosun to hit [1d20] = 19 damage [2d6] = 8

Renvell to hit [1d20] = 4 damage [2d6] = 6

ren horse [1d20] = 17 [2d4] = 4 Tosun horse [1d20] = 9 [2d4] = 6

Foxy melee: Scimitar:[1d20+1] = 17+1 = 18damage:[1d8+1] = 2+1 = 3 fire damage [1d4] = 2

If she is able, and a path has been cleared Foxy will urge Sephanne to mount Galavan behind her or grasp the saddle so we can extricate ourselves from the melee. Hoping a tasty offering of horse meat will be enough for the ghouls to feast on that rather than fight on?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

(Only Foxy's warhorse gets attacks - the riding horses do not. The riding horses don't spook when combat is nearby but technically need to pass morale to not bolt when they are directly attacked... I'm skipping that because you all feel that way.)

The melee is evenly matched, everything seeming to happen at once as the mounted party tries to recover and leverage every advantage they have. Tocen's heavy blow is able to fell one of the smaller ghouls, clearing an opening for the others. Sephanne's longsword comes down in a hard blow on the largest ghoul, knocking it back from her (-7), giving a clear shot for Foxy's flaming sword blade and her brave steed's pounding hooves to crush the ghoul into the mud (-3, -2, -4) A ghoul leaps at Foxy and she barely is able to keep it at bay with her shield - she tries to grab for Sephanne, but two other ghouls grapple the dismounted bowwoman and viciously dismember her. Blood splatters everywhere as Sephanne is brutally disemboweled before her companions, leaving no hope of saving her life (-6, -7). With the spray of blood and the pitiful whinnying of the paralyzed horse, three of the ghouls are overcome with hunger and bloodlust, gorging themselves on the flesh rather than facing the party further. ("fumbles": they skip a turn to gorge)

(Actions!)

Date: 5:01pm, 22 July 2021
Distance Travelled: ~20 miles
Injuries: Sephanne (dead, dismembered), Tocen (severely wounded), Tocen's horse (Moderately wounded), Sephanne's horse (moderately wounded, paralyzed)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

While the ghouls feast can we ride away? If so we wil continue on the cobbled road going South-west away from the city for now.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

Three ghouls are out feasting. You have five that might chase. You outpace them on horses - they would get one attack with the bonus to-hit for you fleeing. A fighting retreat would test if they'll not chase (giving you another hit and no penalty if they do hit back instead of letting you go), but isn't a long-term strategy because you can't outrun them that way.

Which do you do?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

3 feasting and 5 ready to chase. How many ghouls are there? I thought we killed some. The way I read your narration, we killed two, another two were enjoying eating Sephanne and three eating her horse, leaving only a single one attacking Foxy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Sorry, two dead. Three opting to feast. Three may chase.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

I think we need to minimise their attacks and withdraw at the same time. Can we do a 'parry' defence so that we concentrate on rebuffing their touch and leave them to feast on the downed horse and trooper. Upping our AC instead of attacking and then retreating next round?

If not then we have to slay the three but I will roll the macro's tomorrow when I get time.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Marullus »

No, we talked about that before - there is no 'active defense' option in Lab Lord Basic.

You execute a fighting retreat, keeping your guard up.

Chase? [2d6] = 11 stop? [1d6] = 6

They don't chase you. Sephanne's corpse looks more enticing.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”