EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

#21 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:I'm assuming Pendleton is allowed re-direct after the cross-examination?
Yep!

Bremen asks questions now. Markd answers. Pendleton gets a redirect opportunity. Markd answers. Markd gets off the stand. Will Pendleton have more witnesses to call for the prosecution, and in what order? (Same process for them, post-wise.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Zhym »

Should we have a witness list in advance? Pendleton will also call Bandy to testify. If he calls Irving, will you NPC him?

I assume Bremen doesn't have to take the stand unless he wants to?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Marullus »

I will NPC Irving and Florian (and any other NPC called).
Correct that Bremen doesn't need to take the stand unless he wants to.
Yes, Bremen should provide a list of who he's calling that isn't already called by you first.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton does have one more question he's going to ask before turning the witness over to Breman.

"One last question," says Pendleton, as gently as possible. "When did you first decide to bring Breman up on charges, and why?"

Pendleton will call Bandy, Irving, and Florian after Markd, in that order.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks confused by the question, as he never thought about it beforehand.

Well, honestly I didnt know I was. Didnt think a trial wast necessary at all. Just a good internal cleansing of the soul here within the church. But, being a simple lay person, I must admit, I was unfamiliar with this process.

I figured the good priests here in Gaul could help him out and pray away whatever he lost in his deal. So, I mentioned it as any concerned citizen would do. That said, if it falls to me to bring the charges, then I'll accept that role however much it pains me.

You know, I have found the man very responsible and brave, on top of being a bit impulsive and power hungry. Up until we got to the tower, I'd have gladly called him a friend. Heck, he aint no worse than magic men running around acting godlike with their potions and spells.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

"I am sorry to press, but when did you first decide this was necessary? Was it before the events in the forgotten tower's chapel? If so, what was it about Bremen then that made you think his soul needed cleansing?"

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by onlyme »

Markd becomes a bit more aggravated and bitter,

I told you already. As soon as he made that deal, I knew I had to report it in my debriefing. Pledging your soul to someone who offers you an offer too good to be true requires some sort of guidance from the priests. Oh wait, yeah, there was something back when we were at the purification fountain. I guess that was when I first recognized the need. He goes to describe best he can the fountain and the circumstances of the dying men around him.
...and the voice, a different one mind you, kept telling us to flee with our unrepentant and flawed hearts, and that I was Bremen's keeper since I brought him into the tower and we were unworthy of Baudh's forgiveness . After trying everything else, , I apologized on behalf of Bremen's soul. With that, the fountain was made available, and it cured us all. I promised I would bring Mr Bremen before the priests to have him answer for his soul. I knew nothing of what that voice accused him of, of course. I figured the good priests here were more than capable of finding out.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton realizes that if he is to win this trial, he will have to frame it as being about something other than Markd vs. Bremen. That trial could be held a thousand times and Markd would lose every one of them. He will have to keep the focus of the trial on the state of Bremen's soul, not on the likeability of his accuser. The sooner Markd leaves the witness stand, the better.

"Thank you." Pendleton takes his seat.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Noting Pendleton is done, Bremen smooths out his mustache, then rises and cracks his knuckles. He had expected the pretentious bag of wind to go on longer, but no matter. There was plenty to work with. He nods again at Keelan the White, his face not giving anything away to the bishop that holds his fate in his hands. That's some story Markd. Or would you prefer Stancell? You know, most men that take on a different name are hiding from their past. I think it's important the church and people here know who is doing the accusing. You say followers of Eruanna attacked you and you were marked by a priest. Is that what you're selling here? You know, I've been alive longer than you and never been lynched by anyone. What was it that sparked their wrath?

And to speed things along, I'll ask a parallel question:

You say "the chapel was built into the maze of tunnels as all of us have experienced before." I don't know that many folk here have had the chance to enter such a place actually. Please go into more detail. What is your understanding of the use of the tunnels? Was there a door to the tunnels? Was it locked? Was the chapel out in the open or hidden? Did it look like it had been disturbed recently or been forgotten?

Third thread of questions:

You mention there was a different voice earlier in the search for that relic, by "the purification fountain." Did we approach the fountain as a group, or did one of us go in first? Remembering there were other witnesses to this, what exactly did the voice accuse that person of?

It is nearly impossible to not ask leading questions for me, especially if I don't want to act like Bremen wasn't there.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks disappointed at the questions, knowing they are meant to hurt him rather than help the defendant.
He answers anyway.
I always prefered Stancell. Folks just kept calling me the Markd one so damned long, it just became easier to go by it.
and I have never shied away from explaining what happened down south. My disdain for Euranna and her worthless devotees are no secret.

He hears the next question, and answers:
I believe folks around here and elsewhere have done a bit more adventuring through the old ruins of various places. I suspect they understood what I was describing, you fool. And you know damned well what those tunnels looked like.
He goes on to describe the passage ways in tedious detail.

After hearing the third question, he answers:
Mr Bremen, I dont know how much you do recall on this one. We found that fountain together, the four of us. Except you and Mr Florian lost a bit too much blood to be of much use.
I cant recall word for word, but he kept telling us to flee as we were unworthy. He kept saying something about sacrificing children and that I must take responsibility for defending the honor of the four of us in my responses. I promised to bring you to the priest for judgement, and so here we are.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Going with what onlyme said in OOC thread, I will assume he is stonewalling Bremen and Bremen understands that.

Seeing Markd barely answers any of his questions, Bremen is left to wonder if the man was dumber than he had initially thought. He shrugs, knowing the answer doesn't really matter much. If Markd doesn't make a better case for this accusation, Bremen will be sleeping in a feather bed with a pair of prostitutes within a few nights.

It's curious you never bothered to introduce yourself to me or your other traveling companions by your preferred name.

So Stancell, you're saying that that mob attacked you without cause, other than being a devotee of our god, Baudh? And the mark on your face is only there because you wouldn't convert?
Bremen pauses and looks from the judge to the people assembled. I guess we have to take your word for it, since no one else would know. But I'll just point out that no one else here has such a mark.

When called a fool, Bremen clenches his jaw in irritation but remains calm. I'm sure this town and courtroom have some adventurous folk, but I'm guessing most of them haven't been in a temple of Baudh dating back to before the cataclysm. I just thought they'd appreciate the description, and since I'm not on the stand, I couldn't tell them. So thanks for laying it out. Bremen stands tall, looking at the crowd while translating Markd's description. A locked tower with an intricate maze of tunnels beneath. Within that, a locked door and secret passages, leading into a sealed chapel that was guarded by giant bugs and ghouls. And the Chapel of Baudh was covered with a thick layer of dust, indicating no one had been there in centuries. Would you say that about sums it up? It had been sealed - probably by clerics of our faith - and then not entered again?

Bremen is not shocked as Markd skirts the third answer. He decides to ask more leading, yes/no questions. Stancel, I do remember what happened before the Fountain. But as I said, I am not on the stand, so that is of little consequence. I will say it is odd that you do not recall word for word, but earlier, to Master Pencilton, you said that that is when you started worrying for my soul. Are you saying you don't recall the accusations that made you worry about something that serious? What were the accusations, and did they change when others approached the gate, since you were the first?

Questions from that:
- Is Markd saying he was attacked and "branded" just for being a devotee of Baudh?
- Does he think the chapel had been entered since the Tower was occupied by pious clerics and knights of Baudh?
- What were the accusations?
- Did the voice change its accusations when others entered the tunnel?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton stands. "Objection, Your Grace. Mr. Bremen will have his own opportunity to testify if he wishes. Until then, will the court please ask him to refrain from extraneous commentary and focus on asking questions of the witness?"
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: GM: Allowing this as RP; deleting OOC posts about nature of objections. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

i am guessing much of that objection was about the middle question. Onlyme said Markd went into detail about the chapel's location. I was summarizing his unwritten description.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

I'm not imposing any effect for it. Pendleton stood up and interrupted, you continued on. You may address it as you wish, IC.

Next Step: Markd address Bremen's last questions above.
When Bremen is done, Pendleton gets a chance to redirect, then Markd steps down and Bandy is called.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
Questions from that:
- Is Markd saying he was attacked and "branded" just for being a devotee of Baudh?
- Does he think the chapel had been entered since the Tower was occupied by pious clerics and knights of Baudh?
- What were the accusations?
- Did the voice change its accusations when others entered the tunnel?
Markd looks at the priests in disbelief that he keeps having to discuss his own past, which has nothing to do with the current trial.

I never said I was branded with this damned thing just for being a devotee. I got it because I wouldnt pledge to that whore Euranna. That was part of a punishment that her little priesty boys so cleverly thought up.

As to the chapel, I cannot say. I think it fair to say it had been many many moons since anyone found it. I dont know however if the loyal disciples of Baudh were the last.

As for the voice, I dont recall him changing his tune depending on who came in or out. As you may recall, and I am sure Mr Irving over there will, it was a rather frantic time with you and Mr Florian getting yourselves turned into pin cushions by them Centions. I only remember the voicing saying I was responsible because I brought you there. I promised to have you stand before the priest and apologized for not knowing. This pleased the voice and we were allowed access to the water that saved you.

This trial aint about me, however much you seem to want it to be.
It is about whether you have any evil in your soul, and if you do, how can we help get it out... That is all it ever was, and will be.

With that, he stands to remove himself from the witness chair.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen does not bother stopping Markd from leaving the stand, but he does respond. Yeah, I'm on trial, not you. But you're no daisy, Stancell, and it's you're word that brought is to this. Once folks know who you are and what you did, they'll see your accusations aren't worth a damn, no how. Bremen heads back to his chair, pausing a moment to address Keelan, Your grace, I'm done with that man.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Zhym »

The sooner I can get this oaf off the stand, the better, thinks Pendleton.

"I have no redirect questions for this witness, Your Grace."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

You guys are awesome. :)

CHA (15): Bremen [4d6] = 14 Pendleton [4d6+2] = 19+2 = 21

The crowd murmurs, showing some seeming support for Bremen's final retort. Pendleton's professional mien is not enough to compensate for Markd's surly demeanor, his evasiveness when under oath, his mystical repugnance, and his stomping down from the witness chair before being released.

Archbishop Keelan stares at Markd with his piercing blue eyes, his aged skin creasing deeply as he purses his lips. "Mister Bandobras Sandybanks, relation to the Frogmortons of the Ford, I believe? Please take the stand and swear to your integrity in this trial before Baudh. Mister Kettleworth, your witness."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by onlyme »

Markd sits down and sighs. He cant help but wonder why his own unquivering devotion to Baudh will most likely end up hurting Baudh in the end, seeing how the evil in Bremen will most likely be allowed to roam free.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton takes a deep breath as Bandy takes the stand. Markd dug a deep hole. Time to start climbing out.

After Bandy is sworn in, Pendleton stands. He opens the questioning by asking Bandy to state his name, then begins the real questions.

"Thank you for appearing here today, Mr. Sandybanks. As you know, a man is accused of imperiling his soul and dealing with the infernal. We have heard from his accuser, and we have heard counter-accusations from the accused. Your testimony may help us uncover the truth."

"Let's start with an overview. Were you with Stancell and Bremen on their recent expedition? Could you please describe what happened—in general, and specifically at the fountain and in the chapel of Baudh?"

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”