Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole II - 06 July

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition - Amistad: Down the Morlock Hole II - 06 July

#61 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

was going to charge down the hall and leap amongst them axe cleaving asunder until he arrives as they fall asleep. Arriving late he says"err, okay Earc, lets dump them over the cliff with the bugs!"

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Zhym »

"Check 'em for more blowgun darts and such," says Olaf, as he starts doing that himself.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#63 Post by Alethan »

"Sorry," Earc offers apologetically. "I figured we were better off just being done with them. I did briefly consider keeping one alive to try and follow invisibly, but then figured it would be too difficult down here without a light source. In any case, you look pretty beat up, Blackjack. If you haven't used that potion from the tree nymph yet, you might consider it now."

Once the morlocks have been searched and dumped over the side, Earc examines the bodies of the bear-bugs to see if anything of them might be of magical value or use...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#64 Post by Alethan »

"I'll need to rest before I can put any more to sleep," he adds as he examines the bear-bugs. "Can you two stand watch while I do so?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad will stand a 4 hour watch

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Zhym »

"That be good thinking," says Olaf of Earc's sleepy spell. "Ya, I watch while ye sleep."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#67 Post by Marullus »

All the bodies are pulled to the lip of the ravine and looted. The morlocks are dressed similarly to those you've met previously - simple but effective pants and tunics with exquisite stitching but little adornment - but they carry no blowdarts or chains. Instead, they're pushing simple wooden wheelbarrows filled with food scraps, trash, and rotted meat of unidentifiable origins. You rummage their pockets and find 32 electrum pieces with the engravings nearly worn off. You also find that one wears an unadorned simple gold band on his finger. Earc ponders the bug-bears, considering their magical uses.

The night passes uneventfully as each takes their watch. After twelve hours, Earc is rested and able to study his spells while Blackjack feels a bit more hale. (Blackjack +3hp, Akkara +2hp, Achaedany +2hp) The two women continue to rest fitfully on the stone tables; it is clear they'll need at least another day if they are to wake and move on their own, if not two. They can be safely moved on stretchers at this time, however.

Date/Time: 8:51pm, 09 July 2021
Light: Continual Light spells
Injuries: Achaedany (mortally wounded), Akkara (mortally wounded), Blackjack (moderately injured)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Course we can put them in the wheel barrows, be a bit like my youth days when you round up the groggy dames who can't take their fill of wine at the music fest and then you ship them into a tent to recover." the lumberjack remembers his student days (those ones which you never told ma and pa about!)

"I think we should rest up rather than push on, Maybe a couple of us scout out the next few tunnels. The food scraps were not for the morlocks, are they keeping beast nearby."

Amistad will volunteer to check out a bit further if necessary.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#69 Post by Alethan »

Earc gives Blackjack a quizzical look.

"Er... well, I suspect the food scraps were for these bear-bugs, right? I think we might consider either staying here another day or moving the wounded and the treasure we found in wheel barrows back to the entrance and make our way out of here. In order to host an effective venture, we really should have brought a healer or two along with us..."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#70 Post by Alethan »

Upon studying the corpses of the bear-bugs more closely, Earc notes some useful information.

"Likely the wings and insect legs here will be useful, either to myself or to others of my sort, in the manufacture of several types of potions. We should take them back to town, if at all possible. But this is the really interesting thing," he adds, pointing at the thorax of one of the bear-bugs.

"There are waxy deposits on the rear limbs, see? And also what appears to be spinnerettes of some sort with fine copper thread oozing from them! I've no idea what it means, but I think it likely if one of us had been taken, we would have been bound up in copper thread and hung to age a bit. Too bad they don't use silver or gold thread, eh?" He chuckles for a second, but then stops at the thought of a creature that could create gold thread at will...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Zhym »

Olaf peers into the cave again. "Might be trash pit," he guesses.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Moving the treasure in the barrow sounds good, the tunnels are neatly made so pushing the weight should be easy. (he thinks of Pingu is draft horse solemnly),

Do these bugs lay eggs or larvae? I wonder if catching some and hatching them you could train them, have a supply of copper at hand? Copper very good for all that fancy electrical crackling and energy stuff the mechanical experimentalists harp on about.

Those Morlocks might be missed soon though if they haven't returned to their quarters, maybe we need to move out as soon as the girls are ready.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#73 Post by Alethan »

Earc nods in agreement when Blackjack suggests moving sooner rather than later. "If they realize these morlocks are missing, they might come with more force than we can easily repel."

"This'll have to come out of their share...", he says as he reaches into his robes and pulls out a vial of blue liquid. He tips a sip into the mouth of each unconscious woman to see if that wakes them. If not, he repeats, using all five sip-doses of the healing potion until it is gone if necessary. If that doesn't wake them, then he looks at the others and shrugs, stowing the empty vial back in his robes.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Marullus »

Earc carefully administers the potion, sip by sip. Seeing Akkara in better shape, he begins with her. After her second sip, she comes awake groggily, still weak and wounded. (Now at 1 hp) Moving to Achaedany, he administers the rest of the potion, bit by bit. While it helps her immeasurably and she now looks stable, she does not awaken. (Now at 0hp, wakes in 6 hours)

Blackjack, now contemplating the spinning practices of the bug-bears, has his attention drawn back to the way protuberances on the walls. With a superficial examination, he finds that they are indeed filled with fine copper thread, spun around unidentifiable remains and coated in the wax. A quick calculation from the size and number of waxy protuberances estimates that about five large sacks full of copper wire could be collected from them (3,000cp).

Olaf contemplates the trash piles as the group loiters a bit to see if Achaedany will rouse. He is startled abruptly by a pitiful canine whine - a creature snuck up on him and bumps his hand to beg for the meat scraps piled from the Morlock's carts. (Party surprised) The animal is nervous and uncertain, skittishly backing a few feet away after the nudge to get Olaf's attention. It has a scaly light green hide and a body shaped like a dog's. Its face resembles that of a human mixed with a canine in disturbing ways. It has a frill around its neck and a pair of large bat-like wings.

Date/Time: 10:47pm, 09 July 2021
Injuries: Achaedany (seriously wounded), Akkara (seriously wounded), Blackjack (moderately injured)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Chops off the waxy protruberances and loads them in a wheel barrow. Okay I'm more brawn than brains, but I have heard of experiments in the southlands from the local gazettes. Electrical conductors, copper wire, lightening...these clumps of wire could be put to use rather than sold as raw materials. maybe some arcanist can generate some 'generating' spells out of them? Can you study to create spells Earc?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Marullus »

Since Zhym is away, can someone else handle the encounter?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#77 Post by Zhym »

Olaf smiles at the lizard dog. "Puppy!" he cries. He tosses the whatever it is some scraps from the cart.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#78 Post by Alethan »

Earc backs away and mentally prepares for a spell...

"It looks sorta like they were trying to make a dragon with this one, doesn't it? I hope there isn't a larger one around here..."

He glances out at the unexplored area, wondering if they are going to have additional trouble, then looks back at the creature. Specifically, he looks at the creatures eyes, trying to determine if there is human intelligence behind them...

OOC: Does Earc know if Charm Person would work on this thing if it has human traits?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#79 Post by Marullus »

Olaf exclaims loudly, "Puppy!" while Earc reacts defensively, backing up and warily preparing his spell. The lizard-dog flinches back warily, but then leaps to catch the tossed piece of meat. It snorts a little gout of flame from its nostrils and toasts the meat to a nice medium rare texture, the savory smell wafting towards the group, then gobbles it down hungrily. It stays a few extra arm-lengths back but continues to eye the cart-full of meat scraps: skittish, but not fleeing.

Earc considers the magical ramifications of mixed-humanoid creatures and abominations, but discerns that this creature's behaviors are of a more animal intelligence.

Date/Time: 10:55pm, 09 July 2021
Injuries: Achaedany (seriously wounded), Akkara (seriously wounded), Blackjack (moderately injured)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#80 Post by Alethan »

Impressed with the creature's abilities, Earc continues to remain distant, but changes his spell idea to something more offensive in case it is needed.

"Careful... it looks like they did a good job of dragon emulation. But maybe the mixing in of the dog can be used to our advantage?"

He tosses some more scrap meat over to the dogon, interested in keeping it happy.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”