Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#881 Post by onlyme »

Markd figured that would happen.Good luck, Captain. I'm sure we can help each other out.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#882 Post by Marullus »

Clarification: The flames were on the far side of the altar, between it and the wall/alcove. :)

Bremen kneels at the blood-stained stone altar and pledges himself as the voice has asked. Bandy holds his breath and backs up, but nothing dramatic happens. The flames flicker and die out, revealing the alcove once more. "The Sigil is yours, Lord Commander Bremen. Take it in good faith. Show your town of Gaul that good will rise here once more under your rule."

Bremen approaches the alcove and finds the heavy golden sigil attached to the wall. He carefully inspects it but finds that it is not trapped and that he can fairly easily undo the fasteners to remove it from the wall when he is ready to do so. It is solid gold and weighs about 200lbs, so would need to be dragged by one person or carried by two once it is removed. Florian confirms that it is definitely the sigil described by the church, and which Markd saw in the vision provided to him.

You lantern gutters out, but the large iron braziers still burn with fire, illuminating the entire chapel.

Date: Time 11:00am, 08 June 2021
Light: Fire braziers in Chapel
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (severely wounded), Bremen (severely wounded), Irving (minorly wounded)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#883 Post by onlyme »

Markd prepares one of his final 2 pints of oil to use in the lantern, but holds off lighting it until necessary.

He looks with disdained curiosity toward the right of the alter, keeping his senses aware of the voiced being.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#884 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I will restore order to these lands in Baudh's name. Lots Commander Bremen judges the relic too heavy for him alone. Well gentlemen? This is what we came for,
right? Get over here and help with it! Let's get back to Gaul and return this thing. I've got laborers to hire and knights to recruit. Justice, what's the quickest way it of here?
He pauses a moment before adding, Speaking of which, now that I'm Lord Commander, we need to discuss all the treasure we've found. You all deserve payment, of course, but you can't take all of it. It'll be needed to pay for restoring the Ivory Tower. Starting with that gapping hole Bandy made.

To clarify, Bremen is a knight now, correct? Sir Bremen? Does the voice have any notification of where the key to the crooked path is?
Bremen is content to finish the Crooked Path, as he will expect others to complete it in the future.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#885 Post by Alethan »

Bandy asks, "Gaping hole?? I just widened an arrow slit, mate. So do we all head back? Or do we need to leave someone here or at least make sure all of the kobolds are gone?"
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#886 Post by onlyme »

Markd suggests,

I suspect we all better head back and help support Sir Captain. That things heavy and we need to watch for robbers.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#887 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That's "Lord Commander" now. Bremen judges Markd jovially. You'll get used to it. Addressing Bandy, Oh, I'm going with you. There no way I'm going to miss presenting this thing. It'll help with recruiting folks, and don't forget that, if it weren't for me, we wouldn't have it. Let's spend some time securing this place before leaving though. Clearly, Bremen more is cheerful with his recent promotion.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#888 Post by Marullus »

The voice has no help to provide regarding the location of the keys to the door locks, but Bremen knows he can re-key such a simple look pretty simply himself, given no time pressure in doing so. The voice does say that the purpose of the Crooked Path is to lead the unworthy to possible redemption, by finding this Altar of Justice. The fastest route out is out the other exit from the prayer chapel where you found the nesting insects and turning left, which is a straight path back to the tower's base.

Bremen calls the others over and unhooks the bolts which secure the sigil to the wall. With their help, he lifts it down from its resting place. You feel a rumbling in the room for a moment, cracks appear in the floor, particularly splintering the vestibule floor that outside the chapel. After a moment, it stops and all is quiet... normal again.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:To clarify, Bremen is a knight now, correct? Sir Bremen?
Bremen knows:
  • The normal route to Knighthood and Lordship in the Southron tradition is to be sanctified by the Church of Baudh then pledge allegiance to a Liege Lord as figure of temporal law, unifying both divine and temporal dictates. (The Templars of Eruanna are not acknowledge as 'sir' and call each other Brother because they only accept divine sanction and no temporal duty, by contrast.) Bremen expected to not be called sir until the Church of Baudh rewarded him for his service and the Archduke accepted an oath of fealty.
  • Your actions here have given you an effective divine sanction as Lord Commander of this domain. It has promised that followers would repopulate this bastion in time accordingly. Declaring himself solely under this sanction would be circumventing the Southron tradition and potentially a challenge to the ArchDuke, who claims dominion over all the Northland.
  • How Bremen chooses to address both the Church of Baudh and the ArchDuke impact how he will be received and treated in the future. If he declares his rights without the might to back his claim, he could be considered a heritic to the church, traitor to the ArchDuke, or both. If he declares his rights WITH the might to back his claim, he might get political relations established as an independent neighbor or might get war. If he returns and gets sanction from the Church and ArchDuke, he follows Southron law and tradition but places himself as a vassal to the ArchDuke, splitting his fealty.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#889 Post by onlyme »

Markd mentions that they best be getting that thing to its proper place before the whole place starts collapsing.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#890 Post by Alethan »

Bandy agrees to help carry the gold symbol back to the main floor of the tower.

"What do you want to do to further secure this place, Bremen, before we head back to Gaul?" he asks as he begins sorting out his pony's pack and shifting things around in preparation for hauling loot back to town.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#891 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus: what would need to happen to secure the tower from the outside and also from the ramp leading into the tunnels? There is no door to the underground, right?

I hate to just leave the tower unoccupied and have to retake it when I return, but if that's what needs to happen, then we can just skiddaddle.

The handsome, rakish, Lord Commander Bremen responds, I'm not sure, honestly. I'd like to return and not need to fight my way back inside, if possible. Does anyone else have any ideas?

How are those wounds coming, anyhow? They looked most grievous when you fell. I'm glad I was able to stabilize you in time and then provide rope for Brother Florian to get to you.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#892 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh.
Prior to leaving the underground chapel, Bremen asks Justice if he has any insight t about the burial mound the group found on their way here, hoping it will have something of value in using to restore the Ivory Tower of the Knights of Baudhil. He also asks for information about the ghost in the tower: Will he rescue Bremen's claim to the tower? Will it help Bremen restore the ancient order?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#893 Post by onlyme »

Or the dead town? he seems the type of voice that would frequent that type of place... :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#894 Post by Marullus »

Bremen tries to talk to the voice, but after the sigil is removed from the wall it no longer seems to respond.

The group wrestles the gold sigil back up the ramp and to the bottom of the tower. Surrounded by the crates and sacks of treasure looted from below by the Centions and their mounts, they decide their next move.

It would take an hour for Bremen to secure the lock on the door, but you haven't cleared the Chambers below.
You need to deal with the Spectre before claiming the tower. You need to clear the last areas below before claiming that. You can do either of those options, or ooad up the mounts and head back.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#895 Post by onlyme »

Markd asks everyone if they are ready and prepared to haul the relic back, knowing they wont want to stop too often...
Are we ready to depart? Or shall we give our friend Bandy a night to heal his head wound?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#896 Post by Alethan »

"I'd not say no to another day of rest here after that fall. Maybe you could chat with the spectral knight above, Bremen, see what he has to say. Mayhaps there's sommit up there for ya that could be useful, too," Bandy replies.

"Although I'm ready to head back, I think... look, the reason those kobolds fought us before is because they likely didn't know their overlords are all dead, did they? They didn't know they could just... leave, right? I don't LIKE killing. If there's some way we can get them out without having to kill any more of them, I think we should try."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#897 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

onlyme wrote:Or shall we give our friend Bandy a night to heal his head wound?[/dialog]
With all the snark Bremen has been getting, it's hard to tell if that is an OOC mistake or if Stancell is being a jerk. :? Since Bremen has had plenty of play as a selfish jerk, I'll just ignore it.
:P

L.C. Bremen notes his own wounds are severe enough that he would like to stay in the relative safety of the tower as well. He agrees that it would be a good idea to see if the ghost is any more hospitable now that the group has traveled the Crooked Path, and to see if it acknowledges Bremen's claims to the tower.

Bremen eats a ration, then tries to fix the locks on the door of the tower before turning in for the night. In the morning, he requests healing from Florian, then heads up the ladder. Markd, you seemed to be able to talk with the ghost. It would be beneficial if you'd accompany and help him know that we've walked the Crooked Path and I've assumed responsibility of restoring his knightly Order. As Bandy said, any assistance he can lend will be most helpful.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#898 Post by Marullus »

Bremen fixes the lock on the tower's door and the group settles in to rest in the second floor camp that Guaire has established, protecting the mounts. It is cozy and by the next morning they are feeling better. After Florin prays over both Bandy and Bremen, only Bandy is still worse for the wear, the others feeling ready to continue. Bremen waits on Markd's answer, if he'll ascend with him into the tower to treat with the Spectre.

Please subtract a days rations.)

Date: Time 11:00am, 09 June 2021
Light: sunlight, fireplace
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (moderately wounded)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#899 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:
onlyme wrote:Or shall we give our friend Bandy a night to heal his head wound?[/dialog]
With all the snark Bremen has been getting, it's hard to tell if that is an OOC mistake or if Stancell is being a jerk. :? Since Bremen has had plenty of play as a selfish jerk, I'll just ignore it.
:P
i don't think it was intended as a slight to anyone. Bandy went into negative hit points because of the fall and was just barely brought to consciousness. But certainly there were others injured who could have benefited from the extra rest as well.

To address the snark... yes, it certainly seems in character for Bremen. It's also in character for Bandy to ignore it or goof on it. Halflings don't seem to have much luck with overlords, fictional historically speaking! ;)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#900 Post by onlyme »

Markd nods to Bremen, "Come on. I'll talk to him, but know beforehand, he may not be too eager to hear you have worked a deal with that Justice voice. You'll need to be patient. Oh, and glad to see you're looking better.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”