Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Markd/On a Mission from Baudh II - 02 June 2

#861 Post by Marullus »

With the help of Irving and the rope, the group is able to get back out of the pit and onto the chapel-side of it. Similar to the pit they found in the Hallway of Strength, they see that there is a safe passage across the floor in stepping only on the symbols representing Baudh himself. The rest of the floor, though artfully constructed, was fragile and rigged to collapse.

Meanwhile, Markd is conversing with the voice emanating from the alcove. As the party regroups themselves, they see Markd approach the blood-stained stone altar and kneel, placing one hand upon it, the other holding the golden knife. Bandy squeaks out a warning, but Markd is already speaking his oath.

"Baudh, I swear my loyalty to you and you alone...." he says, then pauses, considering the situation before him. "...but you aren't Baudh, are you?" He rises, gripping the golden knife with both hands as he stares at the alcove, where a fire brazier illuminates the golden sun of Baudh mounted above.

"Clever, clever indeed Stancell... but I am, in fact, a servant of Baudh: bound to serve here for eternity, to provide the immediate aid required by supplicants to this church as time and fate may attest. Have you not suffered enough for wrongs undeserved? Do not you, and so many others, desire a more immediate redress of your wrongs and a place to make that possible? Is not the restoration of this bastion and its faith an act of service upon which we agree? Would you not rather walk from this place with a face looked upon in awe, the kind of leader to whom men flock to serve? The world needs the Strong, Stancell, it needs Justice to be both fair and timely. I see the desire for justice, to redress wrongs, within you. The world needs this Bastion of Faith restored, and a leader to make it so."

Date: Time 10:40am, 08 June 2021
Light: Florian's Lantern (until 11:00am), Fire braziers in Chapel
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (severely wounded), Bremen (severely wounded), Irving (minorly wounded)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#862 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks disappointed toward the voice."Wanting's got nothing to do with it, I'm afraid. Yes, it would be good to restore this and many other bastions of faith. I still think we can bring many followers out here, assuming we take back the evidence they will require to justify their own faith.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#863 Post by Marullus »

"I see," says the voice as the others approach. "Perhaps another among you is the better leader. What of you, Captain? You are overlooked; a man far greater than is appreciated. Are you one who would be Lord Commander of this Knights tower once more? Would you take the oath to restore this place, to bring supplicants back to this altar for the redress of their grievance, for justice to once more be served? Would you rule with strength here and swear your oath to receive the power of this dominion?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#864 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Is all of this conversation taking place in Common? Or Lawful? Or... how?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#865 Post by Marullus »

Common.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#866 Post by Alethan »

Bandy looks confused. "So... er... this bloke, Baugh's... er... assistant... DOES have the object we're looking for? But we can't get it? Or we can only get it if one of us is a knight of Baudh? But that doesn't make sense because the specter upstairs said the knights of Baudh follow the path upstairs and the crooked path is for the priests."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#867 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen takes a moment to process everything. Then Bandy speaks. No. According to Stancell, the ghost said the priests followed another path. Knights are on the Crooked Path. Probably why Florian didn't know about it. Or maybe it's because the ghost wanted us here with this voice. And the voice seems to want someone strong to take on leadership here but has been mum about the relic. He pauses again, pacing and grooming his mustache in front of the altar, eventually addressing the voice.

You're right about a lot of that. I've been a strong leader, and would be again. Nice to see you recognize my gifts. "Sir Lord Commander Bremen" has a good ring to it. Now I don't want to seem greedy, but what else have you got for me? There aren't many men in these parts to recruit, what would I use? Those cention-creatures and kobolds? What's your name, if you don't mind me asking. It's always nice to know who your doing business with? And what about this star? Can it go to Gaul? Bremen smiles at the others, appearing satisfied with the way the day is shaping up.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#868 Post by onlyme »

Markd speaks,

"I think what we need to do is take the relic back to the church and bring back a couple of adequate leaders for our host. We'd have a much better job of it convincing worthy men back in Gaul with plenty of evidence to prove this place's glory.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#869 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen glares at Markd. Worthy men in Gaul? You saying I'm unworthy of a command? What have you done with your command so far? Your got that kid killed. Most of have almost died under your foolish leadership while you cling to your magic knife that knits your wounds so nicely. So don't go judging whether I'm worthy or not.

And you passed on an opportunity, so butt out of this conversation, scar face.
His nerve-deadened hands clutch his crossbow tightly.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#870 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks at Bremen and simply shakes his head.

Oh no. You'd be more than qualified for this role, I've no doubt. But, as you said, being stuck out here recruiting birds and kobolds aint going to revive this place to the way it could be if WE all go back to Gaul with what we need to take back, to prove to the folks in Gaul that this place is worth investing in. At that point, you easily lead thousands back here. Imagine the glory and riches you'd get from the duke, then, Captain. Why that town along the way could be restored and named after you. I have all the confidence in your abilities. And, I imagine the rest of 'em do, too. He looks at Bandy, Irving and Florian. Then, I bet the offer for you to lead this place will be much greater. Aint that right Baudil, or whatever you call yourself? He looks toward the presence.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#871 Post by Marullus »

"You may call me Justice," says the Voice. "Swear to me, Lord Commander Bremen, and you may freely remove the holy relic you desire from this wall and take it back to your town of Gaul as the proof you desire. I will grant you the power to restore this bastion, to bring new faithful to this chapel under your inspired leadership, and to once again bring justice into this world. You are meant to be a great leader of men, and through this, you shall."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#872 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Pleased to make your acquaintance, Justice. If I agree to take command of this place, I want to know what I'm getting. So far, all I've seen is hybrid centaur-men, kobolds and loads of undead. Oh. And those hippogryphs. And the ghost-knight that won't let us into the tower. Who do all those things answer to? You? If so, why are you in league with ghouls, ghosts and skeletons? If not, what are you going to do to help cleanse this place? At the mention of being able to take the relic, Captain Bremen starts to look at how it is attached to the building.

Did Florian or Irving ever spike the door like Bremen asked?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#873 Post by Alethan »

Bandy glances nervously back and forth between Markd and Bremen as they argue and they remain focused on Bremen as he discusses "terms" with the incorporeal voice that promises power and power and power if only he would just give his pledge...

He does not move from where he stands, though his senses remain at a heightened state and he shifts his weight forward to the balls of his feet, ready to move quickly, should there be need.

"Careful making promises with those who speak for gods... or claim they speak for gods," he quietly mutters to himself.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#874 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:At the mention of being able to take the relic, Captain Bremen starts to look at how it is attached to the building.
"NO!" bellows the voice, a wall of flames abruptly springing up between the altar and the alcove, blocking Bremen's route forward before he can reach the relic. "A bargain has not been reached."
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Pleased to make your acquaintance, Justice. If I agree to take command of this place, I want to know what I'm getting. So far, all I've seen is hybrid centaur-men, kobolds and loads of undead. Oh. And those hippogryphs. And the ghost-knight that won't let us into the tower. Who do all those things answer to? You? If so, why are you in league with ghouls, ghosts and skeletons? If not, what are you going to do to help cleanse this place?
The voice sounds disappointed in Bremen's wheedling. "What am I going to do? I'm going to empower and send you, or I'm going to wait for one who is worthy, am I not? It has been well over a millennia since I've seen any sentient being come through that door. It is the province of the strong to rule; if you cannot establish dominion over this land with the knights and warriors who flock to your service from the lands of men, then you are not the one to make the bargain and restore justice to this world, I'd say... Are you fit for Command, Bremen, to be Lord Commander of this Bastion?"

Date: Time 10:50am, 08 June 2021
Light: Florian's Lantern (until 11:00am), Fire braziers in Chapel
Spell Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (severely wounded), Bremen (severely wounded), Irving (minorly wounded)

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Did Florian or Irving ever spike the door like Bremen asked?
Yes - that's the secret door on the other side of the vestibule. Which, coincidentally, makes it no longer secret while propped open...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#875 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen bristles at the etheral voice's response. He steps back from the flames, one hand in front of his face to shield it from the heat. Listen Justice. You're the one who saw promise in me. Any commander worth his salt would want to know the strengths and weaknesses of his assignment. I'm suprised you're taking offense. All I'm asking is what you know about the creatures in your Tower. What is your connection with the undead priests (and their skeletons), the centions (and their kobolds), and the hippogryphs. And come to think of it, who is the voice by the Fountain in that other tunnel? He seemed to speak for Baudh too.

He wants to know if this voice is connected/causative of the undead, at the very least. He is also curious about the other voices in the building.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#876 Post by Marullus »

The voice is silent for a long moment. Then it repeats itself in a more moderate tone. "I am bound to this temple; I have not seen a sentient being for well over a millennia. I know no more about the lesser and debased creatures you have found and fought than you do at this time. It is my assigned task to empower those who come to me here, bound by Baudh's will to this task and service. I ask your oath that I may fulfill that purpose... it has been many long ages since I have had this opportunity. Swear as I have asked: Let me complete the duty which I was bound under Baudh to perform and the relic you seek is yours in addition to the powers I have promised. While I am bound, it is only by granting such power to mortals who accept the task that I may act; that this place can be purged of the creatures which concern you, that the Knights of Baudhil can be restored, that this Bastion can once again provide dominion over these lands."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#877 Post by onlyme »

So, does florian have any cool spells left up his sleeve? like resistance to fire?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#878 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:So, does florian have any cool spells left up his sleeve? like resistance to fire?
Nope, he memorizes all CLW. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#879 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:
onlyme wrote:So, does florian have any cool spells left up his sleeve? like resistance to fire?
Nope, he memorizes all CLW. :)
Because we're a bunch of klutzes and keep landing on swords, the bottom of pit traps, hippogryph talons, cention stingers and anything else that comes our way.
So... You work for Baudh. And I'll work for you? That's the gist? Captain Bremen claps his hands and rubs them together, smiling all the while. All them bastard Nobles and Knights in the southlands... My parents... They'll all see now what they couldn't see all along. I'm a great man. He looks at the others. You'll see it, too. As he steps forward, the flames part enough for his lean, muscular frame, and the Captain boldly steps through. He kneels with his hand on the altar, I pledge myself to you, so that we can help realize Baudh's goals here in the North. I accept the position as Lord Commander, and I will lead the Knights of Baudhil as we bring justice to the world once more.

OOC: Lawful Evil character with WIS 5, meet promise of instantaneous power!!! :twisted:
:? :? :? Hope this goes better than I think it will! :? :? :?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#880 Post by Alethan »

Bandy slowly backs away from the altar and in the direction of the entrance to the room...
run away.jpg
run away.jpg (50.05 KiB) Viewed 190 times

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”