Expedition: Carchannoi/Goblin chieftainess' dungeon - 24 May

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Carchannoi/Goblin chieftainess' dungeon - 24 May

#1 Post by Marullus »

Carchannoi sets off on the morning of 24 May with his companions to visit the Goblin Chieftainess' dungeon and recover its riches.

Post here to join up, we'll depart when you're ready.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

Re: Expedition: Carchannoi/Goblin chieftainess' dungeon - 24

#2 Post by Fidget76 »

Dorath is joining up with this expedition
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Zorroroaster »

Gaeron is ready to go.
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

Holding for confirmation from Tyrrell on whether he is coming, then we'll set out. Carchannoi, please set the stage for how you set out.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Stirling »

Tyrrell

After evening prayers at the church, Tyrrell is ready to join the expedition team.

What team resources do we have? What extra do we need to get before we set off? I have no horse and limited equipment. Can we all put a few gold in the team pot to further kit out our supplies, we can take that out of any treasure we find?

Charchannoi, you have been to this place, what do we expect to need? Ropes, oil, is it worth hiring a retainer?

sirravd

#6 Post by sirravd »

Ropes, oil, and a retainer all good. Carchannoi intends to visit the church of Baudh before setting out.

Does anyone want a shield? Carchannoi has a 2-H warhammer, so his shield is superfluous.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Stirling »

Do we invest in a pack mule to carry our supplies and treasure? I have no mount so will hike, makes sense for us to be equipped well, better to have and not need it than to need but not have it.

Does anyone have a mule we are using?

I have 10gp I can donate into party funds or I buy a saddlebag and put extra expedition stuff in it for us all.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Marullus »

Carchannoi has a riding horse.

There are no mounts/mules available for sale, currently in town. To have one, it needs to be bought individually with starting coin and "brought with you." Any of the three new PCs can choose to do this before this group sets out.

Fidget76
Tracker
Tracker

#9 Post by Fidget76 »

Dorath would be happy to have a mule.

I will deduct the appropriate amount from my funds.

Norp the Mule has joined the Party

Deducted 31 gp, 5 sp for Mule and assorted supplies for carrying items.
In the Marches (Traveller)
Donlath "Donnie Boy" Lekal, A95B95, Scouts, --, 4 terms,
35, Blade-1, Electronics-1, Engineering-2, Mechanics-1,
Medic-1, Slug Pistol-2, Watercraft-1. Benefit: Auto
Pistol

Lab Lord - The North Marches
Dorath, Magic User

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Stirling »

If Norp the mule can carry the saddle bag and attached rope, I can add these to the party inventory to use as necessary.

Sleeping bag 5lbs.
Flasks of oil x 5 5lbs.
50ft rope and grapnel 14lbs.
2 x waterskins 8lbs.
4 x preserved rations 4lbs.
4 x unpreserved rations 4lbs.
4 x large sacks 2lbs
8 x torches 8lbs.
Communion wafers and book of Psalms.

Tyrrell

"Thank you for sharing my burden, my Baudh lighten you souls load also." he says to Dorvath.

sirravd

#11 Post by sirravd »

"Gentlemen," says Carchannoi, "before we set out, I must warn you that I have made powerful enemies in goblindom. That is to say, the King has heard evil tales of me, and has sent out his guards to hunt me. If adventuring alongside me is too perilous, turn back!

I must also present to you certain interesting facts about goblin politics. You see, goblindom is a state of all against all, a perpetual and unceasing war: goblins know nothing of loyalty or honor. It is to my great fortune that I managed to magically charm the chieftainess, Guhra, of the tower. The goblin king has become enchanted somehow, with some black magic, and cannot be killed. It is my desire to destroy him, however arduous that will be. Will you aid me in this quest?

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Stirling »

Tyrrell

"The bard in the tavern and children on the street sing of a goblin king. Some wildling bounty huntress rescued two girls from their caverns in the far south. Is this the same king you speak of? Is that a separate place to this tower of Guhra?"

sirravd

#13 Post by sirravd »

"Guhra's tower is not the king's cavern. I have not heard this song; tell me more of it."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

(sorry, got interrupted for family business. Reposting in-full below.)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Stirling »

Will check but I think Tyrrell is well under 40lbs.

Tyrrell

"I heard the Bard sing a tribute song, see memorial and tribute section, very colourful and informative. Catchy lyrics too but not the ordained virtuous songs of praise. A common folk song. How much is true, maybe Guhra can will tell. Has she asked you to destroy this goblin king as a favour? Goblins dabbling in black magic is a dire portent and their destruction is indeed a worthy cause for those who seek nobility."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#16 Post by Marullus »

The group of four sets out on foot, one horse and one mule bringing along the extra gear. From Carchannoi's description, it sounds like the journey will begin south along the road for roughly 16 miles then cross-country for another 12 miles to find Guhra's tower. (I am assuming 3/4 speed unless all players can certify they are wearing/carrying less than 40lbs each.)

You set out after dawn, walking by 6:00am, the morning cool but overcast. The roadway is easy and your small company makes excellent time. You only have one encounter - about mid-morning you pass a company of town guardsmen who inquire of your well-being then speed you on your way. A patchy drizzle begins around 9:00 and continues off and on through the afternoon. You depart the roadway at a little after 1:00 and head cross-country through the rolling foothills.

The sun is dropping to the horizon when you see the tower, silhouetted in blood red hues under the ruddy overcast sky. The temperature is dropping quickly, and you are beginning to see your breath. Fires and warmth glow in its high windows, almost inviting in your cold, wet conditions, until you remember it is a goblin fortress. You judge the distance and figure you can arrive in an hour or so, shortly after dark.

Date: 8:00 pm, 24 May 2021
Temp: dropped from 52f to 42f in last three hours
Weather: patchy drizzle ended around 3:00pm
Miles covered: about 26

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Stirling »

Tyrrell

The cleric is as fastidious in his note keeping as in his appearance. He is making neatly ruled lines in the back notes of his 'Book of Common and Noble Prayer, and Exalted Essays of Divinity'. When we left the south road did we take a trail south west or south east to the tower. Tyrrell also makes notes on the guards, tch. tch, buttoned tunics undone, hair not cut to correct length. We met them close to the perimeter of their patrols.

"Charchannoi, you have been here before, what is the strength of Guhra and her forces. Does she have shaman priests to confide in? Perhaps we should scout around the tower before knocking on the front door."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Fastidious mapping: you follow the road south from Gaul and out the southwest face of that hex. (met guards) You follow the road through the next hex to the south-southwest corner, and there depart the road. From there, it is 12 miles (1.5 hex) straight southwest.

Zorroroaster
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zorroroaster »

Gaeron shudders involuntarily as he stands there, contemplating the tower in the distance.

"I've got a bad feeling about this. That doesn't really need to be said, does it? I mean, it should be fairly obvious. But I do. Have a bad feeling, that is."

He spends a few moments checking his equipment and doing what look like calisthenics, limbering himself up for something.

"Right. Ok. Let's do this."
()==[:::::::::::::>
[]-Orrin Lighthammer, Dwarven Gymnast-[] The Arch-Duchy of Vaul: A West Marches Labyrinth Lord Sandbox
[]-Arnulf The Banal, Manchild SuperMage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)
[]-Nai Tnam, Dwarven Cleric-[] Lair of the Black Druid - OSRIC
[]-Bronn Arnulfsen, Half-Orc Fighter-[] Valnwall, The Barrowmaze (LL)
[]-<[RIP]>Eduard d'Arnise, Elven Fighter/Mage-[] The Lone City in the Wildlands (OSRIC)

sirravd

#20 Post by sirravd »

"Considerably strong, but I've charmed her. Her guards should know me."

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”