Expedition: Amistad/Charming the Ogres and Giants - 23 July

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Amistad/Charming the Ogres and Giants - 23 J

#21 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

thinks about the proposals and tries to come up with a solution that satisfies all parties, (the ogres, his won enterprise and the Duke's concerns).

He confers with Willow and Clay.

10 gold each a week and timber and sheep to eat is a lot when the brigands across the river will offer to drive them away for 100gp and all the spoils. I don't want that but the cost is a lot for me to take on.

Amistad can offer to give each of the ogres a suit of leather armour, embossed with his Lion and Axe design as a way of them being designated under his 'wardship' and a new company wood-chopping battle-axe, if they get successfully recruited. My idea was for Achaedany to oversee them for the security patrols. (these will take time to order and make) Paid as 'retainers' until the self sufficiency is achieved is fine, they can be logging or road building as well.

He also suggests that we offer timber to build a farmhouse and barn at the site of the palisade for the ogres to live in as a community. We get them a small flock of sheep and a couple of cows so they can farm themselves instead of just waiting for the next roast to come along. That way they can trade as farmers with the ford and other merchants. In the meantime make a 20gp payment for the two of them to accompany us further into the forest for a week, to check out the proposed logging settlement and make peaceable contact with the other forest dwellers.

Any thoughts before we go ahead with proposing that?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
Letting you all talk about this. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#23 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay wonders if it is in the nature of ogres to farm and tend livestock. He also offers that the ogres seem to want payment in the form of non-aggression, gold, wood and food, offering little in return, aside from information and that they will use their resources to extend protections to the people of Gaul. What they're asking for is reasonable, but if it is too much for you and the Duke to pay, then why not make the deliveries of wood and livestock instead of the first few payments of gold? Or just pay in gold and they can decide how to spend that? some of it will come back to you, anyways. Clay likes the idea of humans trying to live in concert with ogres and wonders if it can be done. A great experiment! I'd suggest keeping alcohol out of the mix though.

Sounds like a good start, but you should offer low and see what they're willing to accept.
If the ogres walk around in leather armor with Amistad's logo, does that count as tribute? Because if Blackjack pays for it, there isn't much better way to advertise than having your brand on a tribe of ogres!

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#24 Post by Alethan »

Willow furrows her brow in thought.

"It seems like the ogres are asking for a monthly tribute of an indefinite period of time for just a little big of information that could be obtained by scouting parties. Understanding the nature of ogres, they wouldn't hesitate to turn on your agreement for a heavy enough bag of gold."

She shrugs. "They are ogres," as if that explains everything. "It is in their nature. It will also be in their nature to ask for more, once you are settled into a routine. Though I would like to see humans and ogres living in mutual cooperation, that isn't what this offer sounds like. It sounds like humans giving tribute to ogres."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#25 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

no it is not in the nature of ogres to farm. Hence I wanted to recruit them to aid in the road and settlement building and to provide some security for the locality. (The riverside hexes from the ford to the logging site). That should appeal to their sense of 'adventurous risk' but also give them a focus that promotes mutual respect with the Gaul guards. A farm and flock they can tend though does gives them a home and source of future tradable income and thus they become less reliant upon us to support them.

The embossed leathers show they are under my scrutiny if they are happy to be recruited to join in my enterprise. In that sense I would have to take some responsibility if they turn rogue and go on a rampage but similarly we share the same forest dangers that lurk above and below ground.

We need a bit more from them though so Amistad asks them about the orc incursions along the River Orctongue and across into the swamplands.

Weighing up the advice he discusses with Aagrok the initial approach he made. The first stage being that some agreement to scout with us.

Amistad can offer to give each of the ogres a suit of leather armour, embossed with his Lion and Axe design as a way of them being designated under his 'wardship' and a new company wood-chopping battle-axe, if they get successfully recruited. My idea was for Achaedany to oversee them for the security patrols. (these will take time to order and make) Paid as 'retainers' until the self sufficiency is achieved is fine, they can be logging or road building as well.

He also suggests that we offer timber to build a farmhouse and barn at the site of the palisade for the ogres to live in as a community. We get them a small flock of sheep and a couple of cows so they can farm themselves instead of just waiting for the next roast to come along. That way they can trade as farmers with the ford and other merchants. In the meantime make a 20gp payment for the two of them to accompany us further into the forest for a week, to check out the proposed logging settlement and make peaceable contact with the other forest dwellers.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:The first stage being that some agreement to scout with us.
Recruiting [2d6] = 11 [2d6] = 2

Aagrok declines. He's too busy with local duties and is loathe to leave the other ogres alone at the palisade. Kreek agrees willingly (+1 morale), curious to see what these new humans really offer. He wants his 10gp up front, plus a full share of loot.
Spearmint wrote:We need a bit more from them though so Amistad asks them about the orc incursions along the River Orctongue and across into the swamplands.
CHA check (10): [3d6] = 7

"The orcs are dangerous and ... orderly," says Aagrok, struggling with your tongue. "Their eye turns to the man-town. They seek weakness, so they strike and take with their strength. They not across river - across river are ogres, kobolds, and dumb things. Swamps for boglings with no noses. Orcs... They live on mountain," he adds, pointing to the massive solitary peak to the north, beyond the forest. "They have three wizard-chiefs, many slaves, forge good metals in dwarven... bowels. We met them in the forest, as you said. They glad to have ogre help, if ogres see they stronger." He pauses, lingering on that a moment. "You tell us what men-town offers, yes?"
Amistad can offer to give each of the ogres a suit of leather armour, embossed with his Lion and Axe design as a way of them being designated under his 'wardship' and a new company wood-chopping battle-axe, if they get successfully recruited. My idea was for Achaedany to oversee them for the security patrols. (these will take time to order and make) Paid as 'retainers' until the self sufficiency is achieved is fine, they can be logging or road building as well. He also suggests that we offer timber to build a farmhouse and barn at the site of the palisade for the ogres to live in as a community. We get them a small flock of sheep and a couple of cows so they can farm themselves instead of just waiting for the next roast to come along.
(Leather armor and the axe are a 12gp payment each. The wood boards for their housing is potentially substantial, covering the "10gp/week" option for a while.)

Aagrok considers. The idea of wooden ogre-sized dwellings appears to appeal to him strongly. "Ten plus Aagrok... We protect road from your saw-place to forest. We build more, more come. We help more. Your friends, not orc friends."
Considering 10 ogres a unit. A unit can secure one hex. You have three half-hexes your road goes through; I'll include the whole route. The ogre security prevents any encounter rolls occurring in this area. If they increase their community size, then they can guard a road in the forest to your settlement.

When you propose they tend a flock of sheep, Aagrok looks dubious and Kreek wrinkles his nose. "We do not sow," explains Aagrok. "You give sheep, we eat sheep." He looks back at the palisade and shrugs. "You no give sheep, they take sheep."

Mechanically, the reasonable sheep costs are on Gaul. I'm looking for you to convince the ArchDuke to enter into agreement to support your "friendly ogres next door plan," which as you noted, includes them wearing your symbol and you bearing some responsibility in the future.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#27 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

considers the response from Aagrok,, encouraged it is not a rebuttal. In the long term the cost of a 'sacrificial lamb' for the ogre hotpot can come off the top of the logging profits and their residence in the palisade can be built at the same momentum as the frontier settlers relocate. I think having Kreek upfront is a good thing and we can agree to that. I would like to thoroughly scout that last hex and also venture into the forest again via reaping some potion herbs from the Tormentil fields.

Do we need to provide a sheep today? One might be a good act of faith on our part, we can return back to the palisade tomorrow with a ram in tow and move on if that is acceptable. Any other thoughts from Willow or Clay?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#28 Post by Alethan »

Willow shrugs dubiously.

"I think there's just as likely a chance of this going poorly as it goes well. But Beith would see us try, wouldn't she?"

She offers nothing else on the agreement, afraid to offer too much encouragement in case it goes sour.

"I, too, would like to explore the forested area. Are there places you've not been up here?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Despite preferring to move one, Clay is amenable to the plan, knowing this parlay was part of Amistad's plan.

He spends the evening openly discussing his death-visions with Willow and Clarabelle.
The Well of the Worlds is where Beith's powers enter this world. It is corked up - magically - but some of the magic still enters. The morlocks use it to make the hybrid creatures we have been seeing in the north. The purpose of my reincarnation is to see it unstoppered. I hope the centaurs, dryad or pixies that Amistad has encountered will have information to direct me further.He explains that he isn't trying to recruit her to the quest, but that, should anything happen to him, she should, at the least, send word South so more druids can be dispatched to realize Beith's will.

And while we're in town, I suppose Clay ought to send a letter to the Druids explaining this... :roll: How much does a letter cost to send?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by Marullus »

You do not need to provide a sheep today. That comes after you talk to the ArchDuke. You can head directly into the forest with Kreek, if that's your goal.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Marullus »

*bump* Waiting for action from Amistad.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#32 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:*bump* Waiting for action from Amistad.
He hasn't logged on in almost a week.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

okay we agree to Kreek joining us as we scout through the forest. (-10gp) Subject to the logging site being secured we can get the duke to agree for the sheep and encourage new settlers and frontiers folk to locate there.

I am thinking that the ogre might be too tall and wide to explore down the morlock tunnels so we should avoid those areas and I want to contact the Cyclops family when the gifts are ready from the Frogmortons. So a rough plan is to hike along the riverside until the logging site. Harvest some tormentil from the field and then scout out the forest trying to make peaceable contact with the treants and centaurs.

Everyone with that?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#34 Post by Alethan »

Willow agrees with that plan, excited to finally see the field of tormentil she'd heard about.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay is more than agreeable with that plan, excited to see meet the treeants and centaurs. He gathers his entourage and prepares to venture forth.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Spearmint »

if Kreek is ready to go then we can set off straight away?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Marullus »

Yep! You're waiting on me. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Marullus »

The ogres desires made clear, the formal agreement for their employment in securing the territory is put on hold until Amistad discusses the details with the Archduke. Kreek agrees readily to join the group in exploring the forest, planning to report back on the humans to the other ogres about the expedition.
Spearmint wrote: So a rough plan is to hike along the riverside until the logging site. Harvest some tormentil from the field and then scout out the forest trying to make peaceable contact with the treants and centaurs.
With both Chocolate the draft horse and Craige the mule along, the group is not heavily laden and can easily maintain the horse's relaxed pace. (3/4 speed) The four miles from the ogre palisade to the forest's edge along the riverbank passes easily and you enter the forest boughs shortly before six o'clock. You're about a mile into the forest when you catch sight of something straight ahead of you - a long, sinewy shape about 120' ahead slides around and down a tree trunk into the ferns below. Off to the left you see the movement of a second green-scaled shape sliding through the brush. A lump rises in Amistad's throat as he sees the distinctively scarred and empty pits where the eye sockets should be on the two large serpentine heads.

Time: 6:41pm, 23 July 2021
Weather: 62 degrees and sunny
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#39 Post by Alethan »

"I have long feared that my sins would return to visit me. And the cost is more than I can bear."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#40 Post by Alethan »

Willow thrusts her hands at the nearest of the two green serpent-like creatures, palms facing up, and then raises her hands up in the air, obviously not without difficulty, as she quietly whispers prayers through her lips while gripping the air with clenched hands.

OOC: Willow casts Entangle on the area surrounding the nearest green dragon.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”