Expedition: Amistad/Charming the Ogres and Giants - 23 July

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition: Amistad/Charming the Ogres and Giants - 23 J

#61 Post by Alethan »

"We might be able to learn something more about them if we could see their lair..."
Willow goes over to where the nearest dragon was first spotted and scans the ground and trees, looking for some sort of trail that might indicate where they came from.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#62 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay asks Clarabelle to skin the dragons and remove the teeth and horns, knowing they will be valuable back in town. He hopes they will be useful it a utilitarian fashion, rather than as a mere trophy. He and Morr join Willow, using their noses to try and sniff out where the dragons lair. Clay also pulls out his dousing crystal, focusing on finding a large cave.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#63 Post by Marullus »

I received a message from Spearmint's spouse. He is in critical care with sepsis of his lungs. He's going to be out and off the site for the near future until he can recover.

We're at a good juncture for this expedition to return to town - I'll let another PC take over for decisionmaking and I'll NPC Amistad for anything in which he needs to participate (like combat).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#64 Post by Marullus »

Clarabelle looks perplexed at the dragon corpse. "Can't say, I butchered before... But I saw Daddy do a hog once..." she considers. Dutifully, she pulls out a knife and starts hacking at the teeth and horns. Amistad steps in to help, having more of a hand for skinning.

With Clay, his crystal, Morr, and Willow, tracking the dragons is not difficult. They find the tracks of the dragons and trail them back through the forest in a winding way until they come to the riverbank where they emerged. Clay tries to determine if there's any large cave nearby and comes up empty. As near as you can tell, they swam from elsewhere.

Time: 8:00pm, 23 July 2021
Weather: 62 degrees and sunny
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: Blackjack Amistad (minor wound)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#65 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:As near as you can tell, they swam from elsewhere.
Dang. Clay could use some coin, too...
The crystal doesn't give him any idea of which direction their lair might be in? Up or Down stream, even?

Al, why don't you take lead at this point? I've been picking up extra patients at work so my US time is shorter than usual. Clay can return to town. We can divvy up the horns, teeth and hides. He is also happy to push ahead to find the centaurs, et al, or to look more for that cave.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#66 Post by Marullus »

Int check [1d20] = 8

From the confusing tales that Clay and Willow have heard about dragons among the more knowledgeable of Beith, it is possible that these young, highly feral serpents have had little contact with the crafted goods of civilization.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#67 Post by Alethan »

Willow suggests they return to Amistad and ask him, as he was one of the people who had initial contact with these creatures.

"Amistad, where did you encounter them before? The stories say you had a good long view of them from under the water; did they seem to have built their lair there? But without some continual means of working under water, it would be difficult to find..."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#68 Post by Marullus »

Amistad remembers his encounter with the dragons on the bottom of the river. "It was dark in the depths, and the silt was stirred... I could barely see in front of me. In fact, I couldn't see far enough to ever spy the entire length of these beasts at one time. It would terrify lesser men, to see such beasts only in sections! But... well, no, I didn't see anything that indicated their lair. They were playing a game with the crystal orb on the river bed when we saw them, skittering it to and fro." He then recalls the dryad and grows quiet and wistful.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#69 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay asks which direction that was in. Having never met a nymph, the prospect intrigued him. He has heard they can charm people and wonders if he will be susceptible, being a badger and all.

He thanks Blackjack and Clarabelle for taking care of the task of skinning the dragons. He looks over the beasts, wondering if there are other useful parts. These creatures will return to the earth, but I think we should be careful to make as much use of their deaths as we can.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#70 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If Willow, Amistad and the ogre want to head back, that's fine. Clay will head back to town (hopefully leveling Clarabelle up), and then head right back out on his own.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#71 Post by Marullus »

Congratulations on the shortest expedition, and still immense profit.

You camp overnight, skinning out the dragons. Whether it is the campfire or the acrid scent of dragon's blood, the forest is dead silent and nothing comes near you throughout the night.

Rising in the morning and having the draft horse and mule available, you easily load the dead dragon meat, organs, hides, horns, and teeth for the trip back. With a brief stop at the Ogre Camp, you drop off Kreek, who spreads the glorious acts of Amistad's victory. No roll needed for end of session morale and Amistad keeps Friendly status on-going with the Ogres.

You stop in Frogmorton Ford. Pierpont is pleased by the dragon viscera. "There are many uses for dragon parts... For all of this, I can offer you 200pp (2,000gp)"

You then take the hides on with you to Gaul. The Craftsmen can tan and see them into three sets of Leather Armor (with AC 4).
[2d2] = 3 suits of armor

Time: Evening, 24 July 2021
Weather: 62 degrees and sunny
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: Blackjack Amistad (minor wound)

Expedition Summary:
Encounter: Negotiation with Ogres
Encounter: Blind Dragons Bluff

Rewards:
Amistad, Clay, Willow: 2912 character XP / 956 item XP
Clarabelle and Achaedany: 1456 character XP / 478 item XP

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#72 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay has no use for it, but would Amistad or Clarabelle want to keep a dragon tooth to make a weapon? (I could see Clarabelle with a spear instead of a quarterstaff.)

Would the dragon hide offer a bit of extra protection from flame attacks?

Amistad was a freaking hero on this expedition! Kudos to Spearmint (when he returns)!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#73 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Clay has no use for it, but would Amistad or Clarabelle want to keep a dragon tooth to make a weapon? (I could see Clarabelle with a spear instead of a quarterstaff.)
The main fangs could make a dagger or spearhead. For each one you keep, subtract 150gp from the payment.

You have 2000gp and three suits of armor to divvy up.
- Kreek is content to accept 30pp as his share (slightly less than a share, but then he departs)
- Achaedany will accept a suit of the armor, with no coin.
- Clarabelle is most interested in coin for her family, no armor, but would accept a fang-spear.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Would the dragon hide offer a bit of extra protection from flame attacks?
Yes. It is AC 4 instead of AC 8. (Green dragons aren't even resistant to fire.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#74 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Achedany has armor, and Kreek has 30pp, leaving 2 suits of to-be-armor and 170pp (1700gp).

Clay will take platinum/gold.
Clarabelle can have platinum/gold.

Amistad's armor was ruined, so I'm guessing he'll want the dragon hide. I don't see why he wouldn't get some coin, to, considering he did most everything in this expedition.

Does Willow want armor? If so, I think she could have some gold, too, to help pay for the tailoring.

If that, then perhaps:
Amistad: dragon hide and 20pp.
Willow: dragon hide and 20pp.
Clay: 65pp
Clarabelle: 65pp.

If that's okay, I'll buy back the tooth. Also, Marullus can let us know if that is too much of a share for Clarabelle or not. Seems like a lot of coin to go to an NPC that will be giving it away.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#75 Post by Marullus »

Whomever gets the armor can also put it up for consignment in the new shoppe in town to convert for coin. It is priceless to thief PCs.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#76 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Yeah. I can think of a Lord Commander who would love some. But if all goes well, he'll have red dragon armor soon.

Word from Marullus is that Clarabelle gets a full share and that that coin goes to her parents. (Richest sharecroppers in the world, if you ask me! :P )

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#77 Post by Alethan »

Willow would take the armour and share of pp as indicated.

Inventory updated.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#78 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Cool beans. I'll update Clay's inventory as above.

Clarabelle will buy one dragon's tooth and send it to a smith to be created into a spear.

Clay trades his emerald back from Pierpont, in exchange for 10pp back.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#79 Post by Alethan »

Alethan wrote:Willow would take the armour and share of pp as indicated.

Inventory updated.
Actually, Willow would also like to have one of the dragon toofs, so instead of 20pp, she takes a tooth and 5pp.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#80 Post by Marullus »

Final Treasure:
Blackjack Amistad - 20pp, Suit of Green Dragonscale Armor (AC 4)
Achaedany (NPC) - Suit of Green Dragonscale Armor (AC 4)
Willow of Fairweather, Cleric of Beith - 5pp, large dragon fang, Suit of Green Dragonscale Armor (AC 4)
Clay Weatherwax, Badger of Beith - 50pp, 20 short dragon molars
Clarabelle (NPC) - 50pp, large dragon fang
Kreek the Ogre (NPC) - 30pp

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”