Expedition: Halfpint/Into The Woods - 05 Sep 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Halfpint/Into The Woods - 05 Sep 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

Halfpint travels to the new town of Amistad and explores outward from there into the surrounding forests to discover what her new domain will hold...

* Other PCs that want to join in, talk to Halfpint in the Inn.
* Onlyme, you can post Halfpint's attempts to recruit NPCs here.
* This thread will be co-DM'd by Starbeard and I as we set up the Sylvan Sector.

Starbeard wrote:
Player Characters
Lady Halfpint (leader)
Lord Earc the wizard.
Piers Garrett, Cleric of Baudh.
Lug, Probably part-giant. Ranger of Beith.
Anforthas, Khalorrim warrior.

NPCs (and whose Charisma they are tied to)
Berylla, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Isengar, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Fastred, halfling (Earc/Halfpint)
Guaire, human mercenary (Piers)
Sylvi, human mercenary (Piers)

Animals
Bushel, the pony (Halfpint)
Gwegwin, the riding horse (Earc)
Fynbar, the Tundra Cat (Earc)
Norp, the mule (Piers)
Nyorolim, Warhorse (Lug)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Halfpint/Into The Woods - 05 Sep 2021

#2 Post by onlyme »

Sounds good

Halfpint searches for any halfling or friend of such, assuming the frogmortons her best chance of finding travelling companions. She will visit to inquire upon the availability of the sons to help establish this area for their kind.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Karaunios
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Karaunios »

Stupid question, but, since my character is in Gaul, I guess he can't join the expedition, right? I may remove this post if it's out of place.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Marullus »

You're more than welcome. :) Normally, roleplay the recruiting in the tavern, then join up here if interested.

Halfpint goes to visit the Frogmorton House.
Marullus wrote:
Frogmorton House_small.jpg
Madoc and Menegilda Frogmorton keep a cozy hobbit home near the river ford. They keep a nice home for their three kids and run a water mill which they operate within the back chambers of the home.

Services:
  • Halfling PCs with good social graces (pass a [2d6] CHA roll) will be invited to stay for free. There are two guest rooms and two can stay at a time.
  • Menegilda Frogmorton has a full larder and a fuller heart. She feeds guests who stop at her home as long as they tell good stories. (Make a good post, get a free meal. All her meals are Good quality.)
NPC Retainers:
As for all locations, you can do a retainer roll if you improve relations to Friendly there. This locale has a fixed set of retainers - the three children eager for adventure. In this case, you need to impress Menegilda Frogmorton before she'll let you make an offer to them.
  • Berylla Frogmorton, Enterprising Daughter, Level 3 Halfling (+2 penalty to recruit)
  • Isengar Frogmorton, the Defending Son, Level 2 Halfling (+1 penalty to recruit)
  • Fastred Frogmorton, the Eager Little Brother, Level 1 Halfling
The children are more than eager for your offer of adventure, particularly with the promise of creating new space for hobbits to come and live nearby. Menegilda is uncertain. "I'm uneasy enough about the ogres 'securing' the roads, let alone the idea of those Morlock snatchers grabbing people in the night," she says as her hands deftly click-click-click to knit giant cyclops-sized winter hats. "These three have more exuberance than good sense, in MY opinion. How are you keeping them safe?"

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#5 Post by Alethan »

Since he can no longer go to Zhint, the young wizard Earc would join the group of hobb... er, halflings... if they desired the presence of a wizard.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint answers cordially with as much wisdom in her response as she can unfortunately muster.

Well, I was hoping it was they who would keep me safe, of course. Their bravery and survival skills are spoken about across Gaul. I also expect to solicit a few humans to help us in this noble adventure, primarily to offer medical aid and maybe a spell or two. I have seen the awesome power Mr. Earc possesses, my friends. If he can join us, we should be in great hands.

And, I am not worried at all about the ogres, as I have been made aware of a peaceful agreement with them to allow passage. Ma'am, the sooner we settle those areas, the safer all of Gaul becomes. That will help us all.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Marullus »

Though Menegilda is reassured by the presence of Mr. Earc, her wizardly neighbor and slayer of trolls, and despite the excitement of Fastred and the others, she shakes her head. "Such a venture into the unknown? I fear the forest is just too... big... for little folk such as these, despite the size of their hearts." Fastred protests, as does Isengar, but her answer is firm.

Tough rolls. You can attempt four total recruitment attempts before the expedition, so one more.

Date: Lunchtime, 04 Sept 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Earc steps forward, bits of dust falling off his cloak onto the floor, and attempts to assure Menengilda of the safety of her children.

"In addition to Halfpint, who has more than proven her bravery and strength and worth in her adventures around Gaul, I will be accompanying the party, Menengilda. You all know me. You know the security I can provide, should we even need it. We will be exploring the areas just north of Toll's tower, on up to the new mill under construction by Blackjack Amistad. I am on good relations with some of the afore mentioned ogres, if we even see them, and we have several others from the area who have expressed an interest in joining, as well - a healer and two burly men-at-arms, if I remember correctly."

"We both know it is time for these young adults to explore and know the area around Frogmorton Ford. The more they know of the land around them, the more useful they will be in the future! Besides..." he adds, rubbing his thumb and first two fingers together, "they would each receive an equal share of anything we find. You know how useful THAT would be around here."

He smiles, seeing Menengilda warm up to the idea...

Rolls:
Recruit Attempt #1 [2d6] = 7 [2d6] = 5 [2d6] = 8 [2d6] = 7
Recruit Attempt #2 [2d6] = 5 [2d6] = 7 [2d6] = 10 [2d6] = 9
Recruit Attempt #3 [2d6] = 7 [2d6] = 4 [2d6] = 7 [2d6] = 4

That looks like...
#1: 7 (reroll), 5 (Agrees)
#2: 5 (Agrees)
#3: 7 (reroll), 4 (Agrees)

Fuck yeah! We have ourselves a party of halflings and fighters and a wizard! On to Mordor!!!! Oh, wait, we need a dwarf and an elf...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Marullus »

Menegilda remains a bit smitten with Earc, it seems. She's very motherly to the young lad of a wizard. With his reassurances of protection, she relents. All three of her children -- Berylla, Isengar, and Fastred -- are excited to join you. They will be packed and ready to go by the morning.

Any further recruiting or prep?

Date: Evening, 04 Sept 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers is intending to come along. I just need to do a bit of shopping and visit the temple of Baudh, stuff like that. I'll write it all up and post it tomorrow.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Zhym »

Lug is planning on coming too, if that's okay. I'll have him stock up on some healing potions once he's officially a ranger and such.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#12 Post by Alethan »

OOC: Earc is going to pick up several healing potions as well. If we can delay the start date a day or two, he'd ride his horse to the Weatherwax Meeting House to pick up several potions of extra healing.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote:OOC: Earc is going to pick up several healing potions as well. If we can delay the start date a day or two, he'd ride his horse to the Weatherwax Meeting House to pick up several potions of extra healing.

I am confused by these date posts. Dont we sorta pick up all the potions, arrows, etc during the clock advance? Maybe I havent been paying attention. I certainly expect us to stay in town long enough for every one to properly provision.

Halfpint needs a few dozen arrows herself, along with some healing potions.

Do we need to recruit another cleric? Halfpint has one chance left.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

Alethan wrote:Since he can no longer go to Zhint, the young wizard Earc would join the group of hobb... er, halflings... if they desired the presence of a wizard.
Is Earc unsable to go to Zhint because no one else wants to go, or because you're going to be running that zone?

If we could make a side trip there, Lug would love to encounter anything that breathes fire. He's sort of kitted out for it now. :)

This is who we have coming along, right?

Halfpint - Halfling
Anforthas - Human (fighter?)
Earc - MU
Piers - Cleric
Lug - Big human fighter
Berylla (NPC)
Isengar (NPC)
Fastred (NPC)

Two fighters (one mid-level, one lower level), a halfling, a cleric, and a wizard. Not a bad mix (although, as always, we could probably use a thief). Another healer probably wouldn't be amiss, though.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#15 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:
Alethan wrote:Since he can no longer go to Zhint, the young wizard Earc would join the group of hobb... er, halflings... if they desired the presence of a wizard.
Is Earc unsable to go to Zhint because no one else wants to go, or because you're going to be running that zone?
OOC: Yup, because that is included in Lord Earc's new zone of influence (Al the DM), so he can't adventure there.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:
Alethan wrote:OOC: Earc is going to pick up several healing potions as well. If we can delay the start date a day or two, he'd ride his horse to the Weatherwax Meeting House to pick up several potions of extra healing.

I am confused by these date posts. Dont we sorta pick up all the potions, arrows, etc during the clock advance? Maybe I havent been paying attention. I certainly expect us to stay in town long enough for every one to properly provision.

Halfpint needs a few dozen arrows herself, along with some healing potions.

Do we need to recruit another cleric? Halfpint has one chance left.
Right. I'll just make a post about Earc buying healing pots so I can do the accounting in-game. But doesn't have to be a delay for here...

I think if we all grab a few healing pots, that's cheaper than giving up a full share of treasure! We can float some potions to any party members who don't have the funds for them right off.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

Lug has picked up three extra-healing potions.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers has bought 5 healing potions. Unless the chapel is out of stock :D. And he's bringing a mule too.

Do we need any more NPCs. He could try to bring Rowine and Crowager again.
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint asks if everyone has what they need. She mentions that healing potions are a great necessity, but to note they cant turn things away like clerics. She also mentions that they need someone to watch their animals at times, and wonders if they are better hiring for that.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Is anyone bringing mounts (as opposed to pack animals)? I'm trying to figure out whether Ranger Lug should have a warhorse. If we're planning on being above ground most of the time, that removes the main obstacle to bringing a mount along.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”