Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 202

#161 Post by Zhym »

Lug whips his head around to give Bremen an offended and bewildered look. "Pay!?" he says. "The Lord Commander of the White Tower wants to pay goblins? All that magic you got, all those men you command, and you need to beg a bunch of goblins to let us by, pretty please?"

"Guess they let anyone be a 'Lord Commander' these days," he snorts.

"Someone remind me why we're going this way instead of walking in the front door? S'not like we're gonna surprise anyone now."

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#162 Post by Mister-Kent »

In her most diplomatic shout, Osuna repeats Bremen's words while Lug argues at Bremen.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen looks deadpan at Lug. I'm here to fight a dragon, not kill every damned goblin in these mountains. I won't risk the lives of me or my men if I can find a smarter way. And the necklace is charmed, in it's way. If the goblins insist on blocking the path, he is ready to try going through the main entrance.

Don't any of the magic users have a sleep spell? Or a ton of magic missiles?

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#164 Post by Mister-Kent »

Osuna does have 2 magic missiles she was saving for Scatha--she could deploy them against these gobs if they weren't covered, and if there were no other option
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Jernau35 »

"BRAVE AND WISE GOBLINS!" bellows Piers, hoping his goblin vocabulary can stretch to cover what he wants to say. "We are not here to fight you! If we fight, many of you will die! We want to kill the dragon, not you! Let us do that and we shall leave you in peace! Or we shall die and never bother you again! Either way, you will be masters of these halls once more!"
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#166 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen grimaces at Piers' outburst. The halls were promised to the Blackhelm Clan. I don't think they'll live well together. He tries to think of anything they passed that might make a good barricade they can walk forward with. Maybe that roll-the-barrel trick used by the last group in here.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Jernau35 »

"I just said we wouldn't bother them. I'm not responsible for what the Blackhelm dwarves decide to do". retorts Piers. "And I don't think they'll be moving in anytime soon until we do something about Scatha"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#168 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Jernau35 wrote:...you will be masters of these halls once more!"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Let us search for a another entrance into the dragons lair. The dwarves would have a secret entrance or exit.

Search roll
d6 roll [1d6] = 1
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen looks around again. I thought this was the secret entrance...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#171 Post by Marullus »

The goblins chant and the party remains hidden around the corner out of sight from them, knowing the portcullis above is again closed and the goblin's barricade is ahead. Bremen suggests offering his filigreed necklace as a gift to distract the goblins and facilitate passage; Lug takes offense at this sign of weakness. Bremen considers rolling a barrel into the goblins, but there are no barrels in the barren section of hallway. Baxtaw considers searching for a secret door, feeling the walls and examining with his keen elven senses, but he finds no secret doors in their current hiding place.

Osana shouts Bremen's offer to pay them with the necklace for passage down to face the dragon. Piers flatters the goblins and offers that the group will kill the dragon or die trying, if the goblins let them through. The goblin chanting becomes more excited and exuberant with these offers, echoing around the corner.

Date: 8:40pm, 25 July 2021
Light: Bremen's torch (until 9:00pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Bremen (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound), Baxtaw (superficial wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#172 Post by Zhym »

Marullus: What's the distance to the goblin barricade from just around the corner we're at?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Marullus »

Once you round the corner, it is a long, straight hallway designed to allow them to get two shots on you before you reach them if you try to charge. (They get one free shot, you engage melee on round 2.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zhym »

Is that two shots with longbows, shortbows, or what? Based on what rate of movement?

I'm trying to figure out what our options are. Knowing the range would help.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by Jernau35 »

"I can bestow the blessing of Baudh upon us, if we must charge the barricade" offers Piers, "though sadly it won't make us run any faster".

"It may be better for us to fall back and raise that portcullis again. Who knows what may come down behind us while we are fighting at the barricade? And whoever dropped presumably came through a door that we missed on the way down."
Piers said neither “in perpetuity” or “forever and ever” or any other such term. The goblins can be masters of this place as long as they can hold it.

Again, Piers does not presume to speak for the Blackhelm dwarves. If they want to show up next week and take this place back, he’s not going to object.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Is that two shots with longbows, shortbows, or what? Based on what rate of movement?

I'm trying to figure out what our options are. Knowing the range would help.
You can move 1/3 of your movement rate in a round in LL Basic. So that's 40' unencumbered (less than 40lbs) or 30' at 3/4 encumbered (40-60lbs) or 20' at 1/2 encumbered (60-80lbs). If we're moving to tactical movement, I need you to check your encumbrance.

If you're running full speed (towards or away), I usually give you double that movement and the -4 AC penalty.

Longbow/shortbow doesn't matter - that determines when they get a +1 to hit you, not how far you can run. In this case, the goblins use shortbows so they get a +1 to hit you when you're within 50'.

So, I was abstracting to avoid this painful math. Now that we're moving to tactical movement we'll say the hallway is 80' long. If you choose to charge down it towards the barricade and goblin archers with your sword drawn, please post your encumbrance level and we'll roll the appropriate amount of shots you take before you engage in melee.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by Zhym »

How much of an AC bonus does the barricade provide? That's medium range for a longbow and at the long end of short range for a crossbow, so maybe we could battle it out with ranged weapons for a while.

What we really need is a way to sling flaming oil 80 feet. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Marullus »

They can't all fit behind it, and it is makeshift, so I'll call it "partial cover" overall for +2 AC bonus.

"Dragon Food! Dragon Food!" continues the goblin chant in their own tongue.

Date: 8:40pm, 25 July 2021
Light: Bremen's torch (until 9:00pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Bremen (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound), Baxtaw (superficial wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#179 Post by Zhym »

"So, can we fight these little snits, or what?" asks Lug, holding up his boring ordinary bow.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers has a sling. Is it possible to sling a flask of oil with it? Then shoot some flaming arrows after it?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”