Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

A group sets out with Baxtaw the elf to seek Scatha in his lair, slaying the wyrm while it is wounded before it can return and wreck further havoc on the town of Gaul.
  • Baxtaw Grayburst
  • Dorbeck, Blackhelm Dwarf (NPC)
  • Lug
  • Piers Garrett, Cleric of Baudh
  • Rowine, Baudhic Man-at-arms (NPC)
  • Crowgar, Baudhic Man-at-arms (NPC)
  • Osuna the mystic
  • Bremen, Lord Commander of the Knights of Baudhil
  • Stantz, Lieutenant of Knights of Baudhil (NPC)
  • Father Clauson, Cleric of Baudh (NPC)
  • Norp the Mule (NPC)
  • Hammerfall, Bremen's Warhorse (NPC)
  • Ashes, Stantz' Warhorse (NPC)
(Opening for planning purposes. I'll update the list if anyone else joins. You can depart when ready.)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 22 July 202

#2 Post by Zhym »

Does the return of Fingers's expedition to town bump the start date of this expedition? I'd hate to get such a late start that the dragon has had a significant opportunity to heal.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

I'm not penalizing the expedition for the OOC timeline - he should have left on July 2nd. As long as Baxtaw leaves as fast as possible in the timeline, he has the same odds of finding the dragon wounded.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- What do we have to aid us in this fight? I am talking Potions, Scrolls, Weapons.

Baxtaw shows them the sword made from the dragons tooth.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Zhym »

"I've got Reason!" says Lug, brandishing his sword.

"Oh, and I also got Rhybek's magic axe and shield. But they aren't as fun as a big damn sword," he adds.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers

"I'm afraid I have nothing but my regular arms and armor. But I also have my faith in Baudh, and the blessings that he bestows on me, which I may share with you".

He pauses for a moment. "There is one thing that I must share with you before we depart. One of the requirements of Baudh is that in return for the blessing of his healing, the recipient should offer a sum of gold in return. The amount is at the discretion of the cleric who administers the blessing. I mention this now as it has caused difficulty with other potential party members in the past".

"I think we should agree how we should deal with this requirement now, before it causes disagreements later on. Perhaps we can agree on a certain amount to be donated to the temple, upon our return form our quest?
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Zhym »

"Oh, and I've got Rhybek's Moradin amulet, but I dunno what it does," says Lug, holding up the amulet.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A rough-looking man in armor locates Baxtaw and his group in the the Golden Tooth Tavern. Hey elf. The Lord Commander Bremen wanted me to tell you that, pending his chat with the Duke, he's planning on helping you out in your fight against the dragon.

just a place saver so you know I am hoping to have Bremen join you all. If nothing goes wrong, he'll be bringing a level 3 cleric (of Baudh), and a couple-three low level fighters that can, at the least, stand guard overnight.

Bremen should be able to come with a magical warhammer, a sword (+1 vs undead), a +1 scimitar, and a magical whip. Additionally, he's good at thief tasks. He can help pay for Clay's scrolls, if needed.

He will recommend a half share of the treasure be tithed to Baudh, via the White Tower. The local Temple is clearly corrupt and deserves no money. Being not directly affiliated with the local Temple, Piers shouldn't mind, as long as money is going to Baudh, right? :D

If Piers does care, how about a 1/4 share to the White Tower, then 1/4 share to the Temple in Gaul?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Jernau35 »

As long as the money trail leads to Baudh, and Baudh isn't getting mad at Piers, he doesn't care how it gets to the Big Guy :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

"Hey, aren't you the guy they put on trial for getting all demonic?" asks Lug, who has no filter. "If you're so sure you ain't touched by a demon, why ain't you gone to the truthy god's church and had 'em prove it?"

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Looks at all the party members. Then speaks. Everyone will get a equal share of the treasure. What you do with that share is up to you. There is no extra shares for anyone except the dwarves of Idmi d’dum once we kill the dragon the dwarven hold is theirs. As it is there ancestors land. Baxtaw turns to the rough man and says. Let the Lord commander know if buys the items from Clay I will repay him from my share when we return. And if I die he can have half of my share the other half will go into starting a mages tower for mages that come into the area.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers

Piers sighs. "Well, whatever the arrangement is, can we agree on it before we leave? It's so distasteful to be rummaging around in someone's coin purse when they are bleeding out on the floor. The blood gets on the coins,on my clothes, ugh! He wrinkles his face in disgust.

"And then afterwards of course, they always want to argue about the size of the donation they made."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Lord Commander Bremen appears in person, glad to have avoided further imprisonment by the Duke and Archbishop. He looks the group over warily, sizing them up as he greats each.
So... What's your plan, Baxtaw? I don't think a frontal assault will work. I like the idea of a back door assault.

And I can get those things from the heathen, badger. What's it you want? The whole kit?

As to Baudh's healing touch, a quarter share to the White Tower seems fair enough. The dwarfs are welcome to their hole. Their digging me a hole back at the Tower. My vassals require half-a-share each. I'll be bringing a couple of fighters and a cleric of my own. I think it's smart to keep our numbers small so we don't draw too much attention.

Feels weird, giving money from one of my PCs to another, but as long as he's getting reimbursed, it feels better.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Marullus »

Morning, 23 July 2021

As the Order of Baudhil decamps from outside of Gaul, Bremen joins the group. He presents the two Resist Fire scrolls and four healing potions bought in the tavern from the badger cleric's emissary.
(Bremen: Subtract 585 gp)

Baxtaw and Lug are ready. Piers stands with his two men-at-arms, Rowine and Crowgar. Baxtaw announces he has a sword fashioned from Scatha's own tooth, which should aid in the dragon's demise. Piers asks the group to decide the amount of tithe that will be offered to Baudh for his divine services on this expedition. (Bremen - decide how much of your retinue is coming.)

Once these decisions are made, the party is ready to depart southwest from Gaul to seek the dragon in its den - the former lair of the Goblin King.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:(Bremen - decide how much of your retinue is coming.)
That is a good question. Dram, you're the party leader, what is your preference? I had only planned to bring a cleric, a 4th level fighter and a 2nd level fighter. But technically, Bremen has another 4th level fighter, one more 2nd level fighters and ~35 1st level fighters with him, half of which are mounted.

If the group wants to get to the mountain unmolested, he could bring them all, but we'd lose any element of surprise and any possible XP related to encounters.

I prefer to leave them behind to take care of the White Tower, but could be convinced otherwise, depending on Baxtaw's plan. If there is one.

585 gp deducted and marked as owed to Bremen. I suggest we just take that coin off the top of all treasure, then split the rest of the loot as we would normally. That way it isn't all coming from Baxtaw, but rather being paid for by the expedition itself, and the cost is shared by everyone on the adventure.

Is anyone bringing mounts? If so, who is watching them while we in the mountain?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 202

#16 Post by Jernau35 »

Piers doesn't have a mount, but Rowine and Crowager could take part in mount-watching duty. They're only 1st Level.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Dram »

I think our group is big enough. Maybe If you bring along botIh 4th level fighters we may have better chance. We may want to look into seeing if there is any maps of the old dwarven ruins. Should ask before I left the dwarven hold. It sounds like a deal to take the coin from the top the treasure before we split it up. Baxtaw and the dwarf have no mounts.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rowin and Crogar are being paid half shares, correct? If they want to stand around guarding horses, they can be paid as hirelings, making a few gold for the whole week. If they want half shares, they're going in and risking life and limb against Scatha, by golly! If we want to bring pack animals/horses, either reassign Rowin and Crogar, or Bremen can bring along a few first level red shirts and pay them by the week as hirelings. The horses cannot fit into the tunnels though, so anything we'd want to load up would need to be hauled to the surface and then loaded onto the animals.

One of the offered level 4 fighters is in charge of 40 other men. He needs to be with them to motivate them. So either they all come, or none. I'll opt for none, and Bremen will bring along just three NPCs - the Level 3 Cleric, the Level 4 fighter and a Level 2 fighter. (The Cleric has an imbued whip, the Level 4 fighter has a +1 scimitar and the Level 2 fighter will have a +1 vs undead long sword. Bremen has his Warhammer of Baudh.

Let me know about pack animals. The "red shirts" can bring their own horses, too. That could be a lot of loot if we succeed and the horses aren't killed. :P

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Zhym »

You mean the horses aren't for Scatha snacks?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

No sir! That's why we're bringing NPC dwarfs, of course! :P

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”