Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Baxtaw - Seeking Scatha's Lair - 23 July 202

#181 Post by Marullus »

Jernau35 wrote:Piers has a sling. Is it possible to sling a flask of oil with it? Then shoot some flaming arrows after it?
...Let's just say no. :)
Max range for thrown oil is 50'.

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Jernau35 »

Well, I had to ask, even though I knew it was a long shot...

BA-DUM! TISH!

I'm here all week folks ;)
Chance of being Suprised: 33%

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

...so, what's the action?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

the passage is 2-people wide?
And there wasn't anything to roll down at them?

Bremen pockets the gold chain and shrugs. Going up and around will take a day, at least. We'll be facing wolves and a prepared bunch of goblins, who'll let the dragon know we're coming. So that plan won't work in our favor. Sadly, it ooks like forward is the only way to go. He suggests having several of the fastest rush forward while the others provide cover with bows. Once we're started down, others can follow and get some licks in.

He looks at Osuna, Baxtaw, Peirs and Clauson.Look. If we're going to succeed here, we've got to know what tools we have. What magics do you have ready? How can they help us here? I'm volunteering to be a pincushion,
And if there's anything you can do to prevent my death, I'd like to know. And if we can't get past these goblins, there's no Scatha to fight anyhow.
While listening to their answers, Bremen sheds his pack and hefts his warhammer.

I don't think "providing cover" does much mechanically, but it sure sounds good from a Lord Commander.

I'm thinking Bremen and someone else can fire a shot for one round, then a bunch of us race down the next round while two others fire arrows. Stantz won't be fast in his plate armor but is a fair shot with his bow, so it makes sense to leave him behind until we're in combat.

I think Baxtaw and Bremen will have the most HP, so they can act as front row pin cushions, though a higher AC might make more sense. Thoughts?

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Jernau35 »

“I can heal someone three times, and deliver Baudh’s blessing once. I can also find traps, and make someone resistant to the effects of fire. I also have my spell of light that blinded the giant bird” says Piers.

“I can bless someone, which would be useful for the whole group if we stay close to them. I was hoping to save the fire resistance spell for the dragon, but how about this for a crazy idea: we could douse someone in oil, cast the spell, set them alight and they can lead the charge to the goblins, screaming like a madman. Maybe that will scare them so much they run away. Or at least miss their shots.” He pauses for breath.
The short version:
CLWx3, Light, Find Traps, Bless, Fire Resistance
"In fact, maybe the human torch could carry some oil too, then throw it on the goblins when he gets there?"

I think higher AC might be better. There's going to be a lot of To Hit rolls so if we can tip a few into the "miss" column, it might make the difference.

Rowine has a bow and Crowager doesn't as I recall. Maybe she could stay back and shoot?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Marullus »

Both Rowine and Crowgar have longbows and longdwords. Rowine is just a better shot.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Marullus »

Osana shouts Bremen's offer to pay them with the necklace for passage down to face the dragon. Piers flatters the goblins and offers that the group will kill the dragon or die trying, if the goblins let them through. The goblin chanting becomes more excited and exuberant with these offers, echoing around the corner.

Date: 8:50pm, 25 July 2021
Light: Bremen's torch (until 9:00pm)
Effects: None
Injuries: Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Bremen (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound), Baxtaw (superficial wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Zhym »

Jernau35 wrote:“I was hoping to save the fire resistance spell for the dragon, but how about this for a crazy idea: we could douse someone in oil, cast the spell, set them alight and they can lead the charge to the goblins, screaming like a madman. Maybe that will scare them so much they run away. Or at least miss their shots.”
A flaming madman, running screaming into the goblins, flinging oil left and right? Lug grins wide. "Oooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!"
Lug has a longbow, his two-handed sword Reason, and Rhybek's magic axe and shield. He also has ten flasks of oil.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#189 Post by Mister-Kent »

"I can direct a projectile of eldritch power," Osuna explains. "I can do this twice before I'll need to rest."

Osuna brings out her small circular mirror on a gold chain. "I can also perform a ritual, taught to me by my grandfather--I can peer into the future. But--I must have a specific question in mind, seek a very specific answer. to a select course of action. Perhaps I can look into the outcome of our assault on the barricade? Or if there is a trustworthy alternative?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I like the way you're thinking, and if Lug wants to light himself up, I wouldn't stop him. But I'm thinking a burning person will cause the goblins to shoot toward that person more. How about we hang some oil-soaked ropes from the tool handles, and then light them up. It might draw the fire away from the folks holding them. And the fire should mess up the goblins' dark vision. If folks agree, he'll ask if anyone has hemp rope to use; if not, he'll sacrifice his silk rope.

I love the idea of running at them on fire. I just don't know that Lug will make it all the way there. A swinging, flaming rope could confuse them a bit though.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Dram »

He looks at Osuna, Baxtaw, Peirs and Clauson.Look. If we're going to succeed here, we've got to know what tools we have. What magics do you have ready? How can they help us here? I'm volunteering to be a pincushion,

Baxtaw-Peers around the corner for a quick look. Looking for any cover in the hallway.I have 4 magic missile spells i have saved for the dragon.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Marullus »

There is still no cover in the hallway, by deliberate dwarven design.

Date: 9:00pm, 25 July 2021
Injuries: Clouson (minor wound), Lug (minor wound), Bremen (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound), Baxtaw (superficial wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Zhym »

"You guys don't think we're going to fight through all the goblins and then take on a dragon in the same day, do you?" scoffs Lug. "Use what you got now. When the gobs are dead, we can rest."

He hops from one foot to the other. "Gah. I hate just waiting here." He ducks around the corner and fires an arrow at the goblins out of general principle before ducking back.

Longbow (THAC0 18): [1d20+1] = 13+1 = 14 [1d8] = 6
Initiative: [1d6] = 6

Even without official cover, a bend in the corner should provide some cover, yes? If not, oh well. Lug gonna Lug.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Lord Commander Bremen follows Lug's lead, firing a well aimed bolt from his crossbow, quickly ducking back to safety without watching for a result.
Heavy Crossbow (THACO 17): [1d20+2] = 17+2 = 19, damage [1d8] = 6

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Follows Lug and Bremen around the corner with flask oil in hand. Once he is close enough he will throw it at the largest group of goblins.

Atk[1d20+1] = 16+1 = 17 Do not know the damge factor for a flask of oil.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Zhym »

Um. Lug and Bremen are just ducking around the corner and back. The goblins are 80' away, and the maximum throwing range for oil is 30'. Lug definitely doesn't plan to get that close yet, and I don't think Bremen does either.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen is not running down a hallway yet either.

Marullus: I didn't include any distance modifiers for Bremen's shit with the heavy crossbow..

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#198 Post by Mister-Kent »

Utterly exasperated, Osuna leans around the corner and throws a missile of magical green energy down the hallway at the goblins. "This is all going rather well," she grumbles.

MAGIC MISSILE [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Jernau35
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Jernau35 »

"I left my rope on the pack animal" says Piers. "Can't help you there, sorry". He waits for a moment, to see if an oil-soaked volunteer steps forward.

"I shall grant the blessing of Baudh upon one of us. If we remain close it will radiate all around and benefit us all as we attack the goblins. Who is the most suitable candidate for this honor?"
I don't have my book here. I think Bless radiates for 20' around doesn't it?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Marullus »

Bless/Curse has a 60' range and covers a 20' area. If you cast it here, it covers allies while shooting but not if they charge. If you cast curse on the goblins, you need to get 40' closer first.

"Dragon food! Dragon food!" the goblins chant exuberantly, until Lug steps out and launches an arrow from his longbow, lodging it in the table barricade. Bremen also steps out and fires his crossbow, slaying a goblin at the table's edge (-6). Osana sighs exasperatedly and lets loose a bolt of magic energy that drops another goblin (-3). Baxtaw grabs a flask of oil and jumps out behind Lug and Bremen, only to find then dodging backwards to regain cover from the wall (Allowing partial cover bonus, -2 AC).

Cries of shock and anger go up from the goblins. Piers and Osana can interpret their exclamations as "Liars! Cheats! They TRICKED us!" A hail of arrows is unleashed as the three much-larger-than-goblin targets try to regain cover behind the corner... some of the goblins being quite skilled with their bows. Lug is struck by three arrows, one in the side of his neck (Crit: -8, -3, -6). Bremen's leather armor is of little aid against the two arrows that punch through it (Crit: -6, -6). Even Baxtaw takes one arrow (-4), though his armor deflects two other well-aimed shots. The goblin's are now undeniably hostile and violent, their exuberant chanting now a mishmash of angry yells.

They don't come past their barricade, though, just sending a few stray arrows into the wall next to you. Bremen is able to reload his crossbow.

Date: 9:02pm, 25 July 2021
Injuries: Lug (severe wound), Bremen (moderate wound), Baxtaw (minor wound), Stantz (minor wound), Clouson (minor wound)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”