OOC Chatter II

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter II

#201 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Man! I had already typed up a response. I can't not post it...
Maybe so, but it is her character, so I'll keep trying to charm her way through life, even if it leads to her death again.

When a group of goblins walks into a camp of dwarfs, humans, an elf and halfling without their weapons drawn, I consider that a successful spell. I remember Olaf taking umbrage when they started rooting through his belongings like they were long, lost buddies.

With the brigands, it would have been a CHA test, not a spell. I can't promise she would have passed it, but she is. (4d6 vs CHA 17 is about an 85% chance of success, I believe.)

Also, this is purely academic so I didn't bring it up in character, but the tower wasn't taken from Blackhelms. When we were in the tomb room, Drunil and Funil said the dwarfs that lived there were from another line. I might be mistaken, but it didn't sound like the sort of kin whose belongings they'd lay claim to, aside from having been promised the tower.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Well, which do you want—you want it polite, or you want it IC? ;)

(Is my post above not polite? I have nothing against Rusty, obviously.)

I posted OOC because Olaf the semi-literate is not exactly equipped to have discussions on the finer points of spellcasting theory. But that discussion is worth having before we set out again, because having one faction thinking "kill the enemies!" while the other is thinking "we can make them our friends!" is a recipe for...bad things.
You were polite - no worries, Zhym. (I actually misidentified and thought it was Earc/Alethan's post, who can/should be talking IC. I understand Olaf not doing so. :lol: )

I agree it is a good conversation. It just should be IC.

...and as the GM, I enjoy recipes for Bad Things. :twisted:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:When a group of goblins walks into a camp of dwarfs, humans, an elf and halfling without their weapons drawn, I consider that a successful spell. I remember Olaf taking umbrage when they started rooting through his belongings like they were long, lost buddies.
If Marullus will tolerate one more OOC post so I don't have to filter my thoughts through Olaf's granite-like brain:

I don't have any long lost buddies that would rummage through my stuff without asking first. :) And as for not having weapons drawn—does that actually make any difference in whether they can sneak attack? (That's not a rhetorical question; I actually don't know.)

That's the thing, though: You think the charm worked. I think it didn't. Neither of us knows who is right (short of Marullus telling us). That's a problem with the "charm the leader" plan—although it's cool when it works, we can't be sure when it's worked.

Anyway, I'm not saying never to try to charm. I'm just saying that if we all go adventuring together again, we should probably figure out what we're going to do in situations like that before we get to them, because the alternative is dangerous. We can have that conversation IC in the expedition thread if you want (although poor Olaf wouldn't be able to participate that well), assuming we can also get past the whole issue about not being willing to attack first.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:That's the thing, though: You think the charm worked. I think it didn't. Neither of us knows who is right (short of Marullus telling us). That's a problem with the "charm the leader" plan—although it's cool when it works, we can't be sure when it's worked.
That's a fair point, and something I did warn both Rusty and Bluehorse about... In most cases, it ISN'T clear to folks when someone is magically charmed. Suspicious followers of Gwanwen have strung-up many a woman with a high CHA score just to be sure. :) (Watching spellcasters can do an INT check. Other PCs can decide what they like from context clues.)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As Marullus said, it was her most useful spell at the time. And with her physical stats being 16 all together, it was really the best she had to offer at all. :P

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

For what it's worth, I just want folks to know that coin spent at the White Tower doesn't go into Bremen's pocket. Also, I have a couple adventuring leads out of that location. I'll review my notes from Marullus and past them in the Golden Scales Tavern thread.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#207 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:For what it's worth, I just want folks to know that coin spent at the White Tower doesn't go into Bremen's pocket. Also, I have a couple adventuring leads out of that location. I'll review my notes from Marullus and past them in the Golden Scales Tavern thread.
Brandy's only regret about the white tower is that he'd made a hippogriph friend with the young one and then it got killed. Maybe he'll make a honorary statue?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

The Lord Commander Bremen would be proud to have the White Tower, Home of the Knights of Baudhil, play host to a statue of a hippogryph, if funded by Bandy Sandybanks. It will be displayed prominently for pilgrims to see.

He does wonder why Bandy doesn't just offer the little statue of a hippogryph he already has in his possession though. :P

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#209 Post by Alethan »

Hahahaha

That's good stuff right there. ;)

But it's also just a griffon. So not quite the same.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition Planning Discussions

#210 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:Lunna is having some browser trouble - she'll hopefully be ready to set-out this weekend. Good?
Yep!

I was having browser trouble the other day, but I upgraded my Netscape from 6.4 to 7.0 and all's good now.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#211 Post by Zhym »

Netscape? Ooooh, aren't you fancy. Anything that won't run on Mosaic 3 is unnecessary bling.

...now I'm wondering how the Unseen Servant forums (or the dice roller) do on Lynx.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#212 Post by Marullus »

Lynx?

Be still my heart!

I ran online chat games in a Lynx browser for a long time.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#213 Post by Zhym »

Now I know how the forums look in Lynx:

Regular view:
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.38.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.38.31 PM.png (53.85 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Mobile view:
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.39.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.39.13 PM.png (50.48 KiB) Viewed 193 times
The dice roller is...functional.
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.46.01 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.46.01 PM.png (57.32 KiB) Viewed 193 times
The character list could be more informative:
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.46.53 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.46.53 PM.png (62.5 KiB) Viewed 193 times
Character sheets on the dice roller don't look bad, though.
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.45.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-02-13 at 3.45.36 PM.png (53.04 KiB) Viewed 193 times

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#214 Post by Alethan »

Marullus wrote:Lynx?

Be still my heart!

I ran online chat games in a Lynx browser for a long time.
I coded on VikingMUD (based out of a server at the University of Oslo) back in 1991 and 1992. I think that was in C?

Oh damn. They're still running VikingMUD! Wow. https://www.vikingmud.org/

I wasted so many hours on that MUD...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#215 Post by Zhym »

For me, it was JediMUD back in the early '90s.

Which also seems to exist. Huh. I'm guessing my immortal character has long since been purged, though.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#216 Post by Marullus »

I was on Dial-up BBSs in the 80s... I was a late adopter toUD/MUSH. I ran a MUSH on the chat rooms of the white-wolf.com website in the 90s (in a Lynx browser). I didn't move to MUDs until the 2005 (when I was still on dial-up) and was on staff for several role-play-intensive ones for the decade after... SOI (a Tolkien game), Atonement RPI and Parallel RPI (sci-fi), and WildWestMUD. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#217 Post by Spearmint »

A message from Spearmint.

Hi folks, my apologises. I may not be able to post much due to an knowing serious health issue. I have some sepsis type virus jn my lungs and am surviving in and out of more critical care with lots of antibiotics. So I am going to withdraw my gaming time for a short while as I recover.

Thank you for your patience and personal messages.

Kris

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#218 Post by onlyme »

Wow.
Best of luck and get well.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#219 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote:A message from Spearmint.

Hi folks, my apologises. I may not be able to post much due to an knowing serious health issue. I have some sepsis type virus jn my lungs and am surviving in and out of more critical care with lots of antibiotics. So I am going to withdraw my gaming time for a short while as I recover.

Thank you for your patience and personal messages.

Kris
Sorry to hear that, Kris. Hope you recover soon, brother.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#220 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Take care of yourself! Hope you recover quickly.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”