OOC Chatter II

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter II

#181 Post by Dram »

Excellent idea. Do we build it Gaul or is there a better place?
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Stirling wrote:ever seen the 'Fire Leap' scene from the original creepy Wicker Man? seems something the witches might enjoy participating in before we light the sacrificial bonfires.
Nothing a few well-placed charm person spells shouldn't fix. :)

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Stirling »

So you're saying Bandy should use his statue more
As was intimated in a previous ooc post, 'salvation was in your own hands', the griffin would have destroyed the gargoyles no problem.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#184 Post by Mister-Kent »

Alethan wrote:http://hackslashmaster.blogspot.com/201 ... rness.html

This. This is why I play.

I think this may be one of my favourite Hack & Slash blog posts to-date.
Hack & Slash is great! Check out his MEGADUNGEON mag, I have illustrations in both issues out so far :D

Also~ Osuna will want in on this mage tower as well.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Zhym »

Cool. So that's three on a mages guild. Anyone else want in?

Marullus, what's the best place for us to talk about logistics (e.g., how much we can contribute to building a tower, who can contribute what to the spell library, guild structure and membership rules, etc.)?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#186 Post by Alethan »

Earc is likely not going to be an active participant in such a guild, but he might be willing to trade a spell on a scroll every now and again. Or maybe sell the guild a spellbook he's recovered and no longer needs.

But he is already building his own tower and his own lab and will have that all done before anything can likely be done with the guild. So no need for him to invest in both.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Zhym »

I figured. Earc has such a large library on his own that we need a guild just to balance the magical power in the region. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:I figured. Earc has such a large library on his own that we need a guild just to balance the magical power in the region. ;)
?? Who wants balanced power????

:twisted:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Zhym »

Everyone on the stuck-in-the-air side of the seesaw. :P

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#190 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Everyone on the stuck-in-the-air side of the seesaw. :P
Earc casts Levitate on himself, immediately shooting 20' into the air before stopping to watch the other end of the seesaw slam into the playground dirt.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#192 Post by Mister-Kent »

Osuna will make sure of it! :D
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Marullus »

I am fine with you discussing here, or you can move it to the Planning Discussions thread. The only restriction is that there's no room for a proper tower in Gaul (and proximity to the rural Gwanwen-worshiping farmers is potentially a risk) - you need to build in a different locale (or make one somewhere else on the map and I'll add a locale for you). Building the structure is standard rules. Then, the rules of membership and how knowledge is shared is up to you to invent. You can recruit Vassals using standard rules - they will be randomized lower-level-than-you mages who come to run the place from the Southlands at your invitation.

Where to put it?
* Earc and Pierpont are already in Frogmorton, and Frogmorton is patrolled by the Archduke. This will solidify the place as the "wizard's triangle" with three towers of mystical power there, and create superstition among the locals with negative repercussions for all of three.
* The kobold tower is currently free for the taking and gives your order its own privacy, being removed beyond the superstitious locals. A road will be added for efficient travel through Beith's Watch to your location: securing the place (and the road there) from predators will be a shared concern between your tower, the Witchwood, and Beith's Watch.
* With the demonic pocket discovered under the old goblin caves, the Archduke would value a closer eye upon it, kept by competent wizards. He'll help fund construction of a new tower if you put it there to seal that entrance. Of course, building your wizard tower on a site of demonic power and making access to it exclusive to your order does have ramifications on your reputation as well. (the good news: non-supernatural-evil threats are well-handled by the guardsmen who patrol this hex, too.)
* Build your own tower anywhere you want. A hill above I'did'dum. Take over the existing wizarding laboratories at Guhra's tower. Hide it deep in the forest. Pick your spot, secure it, keep away from prying eyes. You get your own locale this way, too, and will have enough room to each establish your own private buildings/homes in the complex.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Zhym »

For some price comparison, here are some towers I specced out at various dimensions and number of floors, assuming a flat wood roof, a standard wooden door, and two dwarven construction workers. Costs are approximate:

40' diameter, round, 5 story, cellar: 2,100 gp
40' diameter, round, 4 story, cellar: 1,800 gp
40' diameter, round, 4 story, no cellar: 1,475 gp
30' diameter, round, 5 story, cellar: 1,450 gp
30' diameter, round, 4 story, cellar: 1,225 gp
30' diameter, round, 4 story, no cellar: 1,030 gp
30' square, 5 story, cellar: 1,750
30' square, 4 story, cellar: 1,460
30' square, 4 story, no cellar: 1,230
30' square, 3 story, no cellar: 940
20' square, 5 story, cellar: 1,100
20' square, 5 story, no cellar: 990
20' square, 4 story, no cellar: 810
20' square, 3 story, cellar: 730

The kobold tower is intriguing, but there are poison spiders and a cockatrice to deal with.

Getting a free tower by building on top of the old goblin caves also has appeal.

Guhra's tower is promised to the dwarves, but staking out a new location isn't a bad idea either.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Marullus »

I'll trust that math and add that as a helpful guide to the rules.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

A sign over the doors reads, The Stancell Green Honorary Latrine: Leave your own Marked One in comfort and style, designating the new, fancy, and exceedingly comfortable six-stall outhouse behind the The Golden Tooth Tavern. (Honorarium paid for by Lord Commander Bremen)
:P

Still, that's 125gp spent taht onlyme's next character will benefit from. ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:Halfpint visits the new town facilities and admires the top notch accommodations. She has heard briefly of the honored namesake, but finds herself in awe that such a worthy and utilitarian service to the community would be named for him. Maybe one day she can stand up for evil usurpers and be so honored.

She heads back into the tavern to find her fellow adventurers arguing over the appropriate number of goblins slain before a witch becomes evil. I guess they wont have such luxurious buildings named for them, she thinks as she waits for them to debark.
:lol: :lol:

Thanks! This made my day. :)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Zhym »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I could have easily charmed those brigands, but for the blood lust of the Blood Priest of Gwanwen.
So, let's talk spellcasting theory. :) Is Winnie talking about the first group of brigands, or the second? Either way, I'm not sure she remembers those encounters the way I do.

With the group of goblins we encountered on the way to the tower, Winnie tried to charm the leader. That did not go well, as I remember it. The goblin appeared to me to have made his save and was making his way into the midst of the party where he could attack with advantage when Olaf attacked. Had he not, it would have gone very poorly for the group IMO.

I don't remember quite so well what happened with the brigands we encountered on the way back, but I do know that we were surrounded by archers. If Winnie managed to charm the leader and if all of his followers didn't realize he'd been charmed, then they might have left us alone. But that's a lot of conditionals to rely on.

Generally, it seems like charming is a great plan when you're only facing one enemy or when you want to change one enemy to a friend. Trying to get an entire group of hostiles to leave by charming the leader is risky, not the least because it's hard to know whether the spell has succeeded or not. If the leader is wise enough to recognize the attempt and pretend to be charmed when he isn't...well, that could be very bad.

So I'm not so sure that the charm attempts didn't put the party in danger.

OTOH, we'd probably have been much better off if Winnie had gotten a chance to charm the goblin with the drawings instead of Olaf killing it. So I'm not saying charming is useless—far from it. But I'm not so sure it's as useful as you think in some of the situations where Winnie tried to use it.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Marullus »

Let's keep the debate on that expedition polite and IC. :)

Charm spells are pretty useful and I am glad to see someone try out the Enchanter motif. Charchannoi was particularly successful with it, actually (given he also made some ill-advised choices).

Winnie's over-reliance on Charm spells is understandable given that, like all 1st level MUs, she only really had one useful spell to offer.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Zhym »

Well, which do you want—you want it polite, or you want it IC? ;)

(Is my post above not polite? I have nothing against Rusty, obviously.)

I posted OOC because Olaf the semi-literate is not exactly equipped to have discussions on the finer points of spellcasting theory. But that discussion is worth having before we set out again, because having one faction thinking "kill the enemies!" while the other is thinking "we can make them our friends!" is a recipe for...bad things.
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”