OOC Chatter II

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

OOC Chatter II

#1 Post by Marullus »

Starting a new player conversation thread. :)

Who saw Thor: Ragnarok?
Anyone seen Justice League?
Excited about Star Wars?

Anyone back the Red Markets RPG on Kickstarter? I'm working through the rulebook to try it out.

Thoughts on the new augmented reality game for Harry Potter coming from the makers of Pokemon Go?

Anyone see details on the LOTR reboot for a TV show, hoping to fill the Game of Thrones hole?

Feel free to talk about whatever here. It is an OOC thread for our player community.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: OOC Chatter II

#2 Post by Zhym »

Looking forward to Star Wars. From what I've heard of the LOTR TV show, that it won't feature the characters of the book(s), I'm not optimistic.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Wow. I'm so out of touch. I have to say No to every question there. :oops: Games Workshop must be excited about the LOTR series, as it might pump a bit of life back into its table top game.

What I have been doing is listening to the audio book by Marky Ramone, My Life as a Ramone. It's gotten me to go back and listen to a bunch of their stuff, which has been exciting. With a 20+ year distance, I see now why I looked them so much. They were pretty much a bubble gum pop band, filtered through a hard rock band. Also, I had no idea how dysfunctional they were as people. Fun trivia.

I've also been focusing on playing southern fiddle tunes on harmonica. And learning the steel guitar. Don't know how much conversation that will spark though...

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Zhym »

Oh, and I've been binge catching-up on Stranger Things. Which, if anyone here hasn't seen it, opens with kids playing an old-school AD&D 1e table top game in 1983.

Of course, one of the first things I noticed was a rules inconsistency with 1e.
The kid playing a wizard needed to roll a 14 to defeat Demogorgon with a fireball. I couldn't figure out how that was supposed to work—like it was a to-hit roll? And a fireball would be a poor attack against Demogorgon anyway, who has 200 HP and takes half damage from fire-based attacks (and 95% magic resistance, but I don't think that helps against an AoE fireball spell). To have even a hope of doing 200 HP damage with a fireball spell, a magic user would have to be level 34, or 67 with the half damage factored in. I played some mighty munchkin games in my junior high school days, but level 67 seems a bit much even for then. :)
But I guess you can explain anything away with "house rules." :)

(BTW, if you're caught up on Stranger Things, be kind with spoilers; I still have three episodes to watch.)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Marullus »

Just started Stranger Things season 2. :)

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Spearmint »

Bremen could convert to Eruanna and receive forgiveness after confession. Surely the templars will want to defend one of their own.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by hedgeknight »

Saw Thor: Ragnarok > funny, but wasn't as good as I'd hoped.
Saw Justice League > loved it! I know the reviews are not great, but for a DC team movie, I really enjoyed it. My son nearly hyperventilated at the end credits scene. ;)

Stoked about Star Wars! Probably more so than any movie this year.

Disclosure: my son works at the new theatre in town...which is literally a half mile from our house. So, we get to go for free :mrgreen:
His boss is a huge comic book geek (like me) and offers special showings for his employees on all of the good movies. So good!

Stranger Things: watched the first 5 episodes and really couldn't get into it very much. May give it another try.

Really looking forward to the Punisher series on Netflix dropping on 11/27!! He was an awesome addition to the 2nd season of Daredevil. Can't wait > it's gonna be gritty and bloody > just like the Punisher should be!

As for the new LotR series, I'm quite skeptical. The Elfstones of Shannara was terrible. So, I have little hopes of this series being too much better. But...I'll give it a chance.
Winter is coming...

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#8 Post by Mister-Kent »

Who saw Thor: Ragnarok? > Saw it, LOVED it! My older brother is named Thor, and he loved it as well, obviously.
Anyone seen Justice League? > Not yet, but I want to soon. I'm going to remain optimistic.
Excited about Star Wars? > VERY MUCH so. For the new TV show as well.
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by onlyme »

Stranger Things is pure 80s awesomeness. I enjoy the fringe characters the most. The casting is just incredible. Its like they ask for actors who look like 80s actors to play those roles as top priority.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Zhym »

Or actors who were 80s actors.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

We are four episodes into Stranger Things season 2. I have to give props to Millie Bobby Brown. Her acting as Eleven is fantastic - without her the show wouldn't be NEARLY as good.

Also, this:
Millie Bobby Brown wrote:[on girl time with Winona Ryder] I would just go to her like, 'Ugh, the boys are getting on my nerves today!' And she'd be like, 'Got it - come sit.' And we'd eat cheese.
...now I want to hang out and eat cheese with Wynona Rider. :)

Thor: Ragnarok was excellent in my opinion. It hit the mark as an enjoyable superhero movie and also added the right blend of comic elements to add something to it without tipping over the line into campy or farce. My friends said the director is known for that. I think it worked for Thor. (I also enjoy the Thor YouTube shorts where he's with his roommate, though.)

We were on the fence about Justice League - I think we've tipped into the "wait for video" crowd. While Wonder Woman was good and I saw it twice, we watched the extended cut of Batman vs Superman and it is three hours of our life we'll never get back. If anyone sees it and has a positive review, let me know.
As for the new LotR series, I'm quite skeptical. The Elfstones of Shannara was terrible. So, I have little hopes of this series being too much better. But...I'll give it a chance.
Yeah, Elfstones fell into a "teenage After school special" motif. Bad production and direction.

I am less disappointed in the "not the main characters" aspect. I helped develop several MUDs based on Tolkien and there's so much setting that is briefly touched on and alluded to in Tolkien's world generation that can be used for more stories. I'd rather have them do a fresh take then have them bastardize a developed story (like the Hobbit). I think it will come down to the director.

I'm trying to dig into Red Markets RPG - http://redmarketsrpg.com/about/
If anyone wants to explore it with me, perhaps pick up the PDF, just let me know. My hard copy finally came in the mail from the Kickstarter (and my @#$@# dog ate the cover on the first day).

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Marullus »

...I think I'm caught up on replying to things. If I've forgotten anything, please bump it for me.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I don't think you need that Clay's dog, Morr has 4k item xp, and the rest went to his crystal.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Zhym »

"Wait! I've got it! I know how to save the town!" cries Pendleton. An actual cartoon light bulb flashes into existence just above his head. "We get the biggest turkey we can find, cast enlarge on it as many times as we can, and then catapult it into the dragon's mouth! When the dragon falls asleep, we finish it off!"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

images.jpeg
images.jpeg (10.47 KiB) Viewed 3480 times

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Marullus »

Bluehorse wrote:Alethan, hope you are enjoying the ic banter as much as i am. Nothing ooc personal, but i see Bianca and Earc not getting along well right now!
I am glad you are enjoying things. :)

I also think you are handling the curveball well - having that magic book happen in the tavern just before you got to introduce your intended character was rough. I can imagine things evening out as she gets back to her original self.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#19 Post by DavetheLost »

Thor: Ragnarok was great fun. The "Hey, I know this guy. He's a friend from work!" line originated with a Make-a-Wish kid visiting the set.

Justice League was fun. Not as good as Wonder Woman, but still quite a bit better than th epress would have you believe.

Definitely excited for Star Wars. Daisy Ridley (Rey) fans, be sure to catch her in Murder on the Orient Express.

LotR series could be good or dreadful. GoT and Shanara show us the two ends of what can be achieved in TV fantasy. I know which I am hoping for, but we'll see what happens.

Star Trek Discovery I have not seen as I am not about to subscribe to CBS streaming service for one show.
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#20 Post by Alethan »

Bluehorse wrote:Alethan, hope you are enjoying the ic banter as much as i am. Nothing ooc personal, but i see Bianca and Earc not getting along well right now!
I find it interesting to see how Earc develops as he gains power and levels. I try to let my characters' personalities settle naturally through this growth. I've not played a magic user in many, many years. Apparently they develop differently than cheery halflings and dour dwarves.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Return to “Lab Lord: The North Marches”