Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

Re: Expedition: Fingers/The Ghostly Trial - 16 July 2021

#161 Post by DavetheLost »

Hengist says,If what Markd has told us of the tombs is true, this must be the capstone and not intended to be moved. But, if the stone does not move how do the foot trails continue beneeth it? Corporeal feet cannot pass through solid stone and incorporeal ones do not leave footprints.

Fingers' suggestion that offerings of gold may give the restless dead below some temporary rest are not without possibility. Do we want to put the theory to the test now as we have placed coins in the slots or wait until morrow when we have the full day?
Playing: At the Forest's Edge: Desmond Halfling Vagabond
The Northern Marches: Hengist Cleric of Baudh

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#162 Post by onlyme »

Markd suggests plowing forward if they can.

How far (again) is this burial site and the one with the trial? is it close enough that we might can go from there to under here via underground?
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#163 Post by Zhym »

The burial site we are standing on lies over the tomb with the trial. Unless I miss my guess, the spiral staircase in the big room leads right up to the capstone.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#164 Post by Alethan »

onlyme wrote:Markd suggests plowing forward if they can.

How far (again) is this burial site and the one with the trial? is it close enough that we might can go from there to under here via underground?
OOC: I believe Bandy tried to determine this the first time we were here and the response was that if there is anything under the stones on the hill, then they are located farther in than we've yet ventured.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#165 Post by Zhym »

Alethan wrote:
onlyme wrote:Markd suggests plowing forward if they can.

OOC: I believe Bandy tried to determine this the first time we were here and the response was that if there is anything under the stones on the hill, then they are located farther in than we've yet ventured.
Was that before you got to the big room with the spiral staircase?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#166 Post by Alethan »

OOC: No, I believe it was after! I think the spiral stair in the middle of the room just went up to a pulpit, didn't it?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#167 Post by Marullus »

I'll offer correction, as I think I've been confusing.
DavetheLost wrote:Hengist says,If what Markd has told us of the tombs is true, this must be the capstone and not intended to be moved. But, if the stone does not move how do the foot trails continue beneeth it? Corporeal feet cannot pass through solid stone and incorporeal ones do not leave footprints.

These aren't recent footprints. Centuries of foot traffic leaves a defined trail, and so that evidence remains. It has been a long, long time since feet passed through. You don't see evidence that the stone has moved since being placed.

Alethan wrote:OOC: No, I believe it was after! I think the spiral stair in the middle of the room just went up to a pulpit, didn't it?

When you guessed before, you hadn't been in as far as the staircase room. It is a huge stair, suitable for processions, and it does probably come up to this main entrance.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#168 Post by Alethan »

Bandy thinks a moment, looking back at the side entrance and trying to do mental calculations, before saying, "Well, I think its pretty obvious this tomb corresponds with the spiral staircase in the center of that large room where we... er... where the umm..."

He pauses.

"Look, there's a good chance there are some undead roaming around down there. Some bad ones. But, yeah, I think this entrance likely corresponds with the spiral stairs. Also," he adds, glancing up at the stone gargoyles, "I think we need to leave this area. Without further disturbing these lovely stone creatures here. Six of them. There's now six lovely stone creatures I want no trouble with..."

He quietly edges his way out of the configuration of stones to head back to the entrance...

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#169 Post by onlyme »

Markd nods. He discusses their encounter with the wight and to be vigilant.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#170 Post by Zhym »

"Yeah. Good idea," agrees Fingers. He backs away with a nod toward the gargoyles, making sure Sprinkles doesn't get some fool idea to piddle on any of the stones.

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#171 Post by DavetheLost »

yeah, just ignore Hengist's comments about what sort of feet made the path under the stone. The part about this being the capstone Markd read about can stand as that still makes sense

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#172 Post by DavetheLost »

We definitely don't want any trouble, so let's leave now. Peacefully. The way we came."

Hengist will also move towards the entrance to the underground.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#173 Post by Marullus »

The group backs out of the henge via the end with the coin slot alcove, ensuring they don't go near any of the three mausoleums or the stone gargoyles perched on their roofs. Trekking back down the hillside, the pass the burial cairn of the priest, Kellstrom, and arrive back at the archway in the hillside where they began, the hallway of doors still before them.

Date: 5:20pm, 19 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (minorly injured)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#174 Post by Zhym »

Away from the gargoyles, Fingers speculates out loud. "Where'd the extra gargoyles come from, you think? I mean, how do they even reproduce? You kill one, and four more take its place, or what?"

"And those stories you told us, about the kings and stuff—so you think someone came along later and cursed them? Why would anyone wanna come and make old dead people play act?"

He shrugs and scratches Sprinkles around the neck. "You wanna go in and see if anyone's at peace?" he asks the others.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#175 Post by onlyme »

Here is the last bit of info he had time to read before they left.
Aslyn left voluntarily, going to the south to the mountains. Cathelon notes (elsewhere in the volume) that he constructed a wizard's tower on the mountain slopes which can oversee most of the Yoldessi Plains.

The cousin's testimony was devastating and salacious. His name was Vond Dalmore, and he has had minor counts noted in the records of his gambling debts and complaints against him for false-dealing in business. He is golden haired with devastating good looks and an arrogance Cathelon finds offensive. Cathelon's original notes document the livid detail in which he describes his rendezvous with Agheth both before and after her marriage to King Danorr.

Caethelon is conflicted through much of the tome; at the time of the trial, his notes are emphatic and firm. It is in his final, later years that you find the true epitaph. He clears his conscience, writing that he long knew that Aslyn's testimony was magically fabricated and Vond's testimony was a convincing lie, paid by Aslyn in his jealous anger. "Beauty alone does not make a queen; in my hubris, I thought a better alliance could be struck," he writes. He goes on to say that his anger at himself for going along with Aslyn's portrayal fueled his crusade against magic... he feels responsible for the coming necromancers, but doesn't say why.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#176 Post by Marullus »

Markd explains the revelations he learned, showing the large and ungainly tome which he brought along in his pack. The sun is lowering in the sky now, and the archway into the tomb stands before you in the hillside.

Actions?

Date: 5:30pm, 19 July 2021
Light: Sunlight
Effects: None
Injuries: Bandy (minorly injured)

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#177 Post by onlyme »

Markd mentions they need a camp location.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#178 Post by Marullus »

*poke*
Actions?

DavetheLost
Pathfinder
Pathfinder

#179 Post by DavetheLost »

Usually I would say camp on a hilltop, but this one is already occupied. If there are things walking inside the barrow I don't want to camp too close to the entrance. Near enough that we can see if something comes out, but far enough that it won't be on top of us befpre we know it's coming is my vote. say Hengist. He looks around for a spot that is suitable.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#180 Post by Marullus »

Hengist takes note of a nearby site, about a bowshot from the entrance, which is both suitable and recently used. It is near the stone cairn which marks where the cleric Kellstrom was laid to rest.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”