Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2021

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2

#41 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just noticed Clay doesn't have any particularly useful spells memorized. Perhaps if he cast light, it would drive the creature out.

Clay asks Clarabelle (and anyone else he can convince) to help him move the remains of the kobolds into the nearest pit trap to make the ground floor more palatable to sleep in.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

Clarabelle dutifully lights a lantern against the now-fallen darkness and labors to gather up the shredded bits of kobold and drag them to one of the pits. The girl wrinkles her nose at the distaste of the job, but does not complain. The parts all removed and the base of the tower now cleaned, the smell of fetid corpse lingers... not so easy to brush away. Achaedany unharnesses the horse and leads it into the stone chamber.

Date: 10:50pm, 17 July 2021
Light: Clarabelle's lantern (until 1:20am)
Distance: eight miles today
Injuries: None

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Zhym »

"Stinky," says Lug. "But at least no one pissed on the food!" he laughs. Whatever is funny about that, only he remembers.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Marullus »

*bump*
Actions?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay thanks Clarabelle for removing the corpses. We will be safer if we get rid of that thing on the top floor. If someone help me up, I'd like to try something. Once he is on the third level, he will cast Dispel Magic on the creature.

If he needs line of sight, he is willing to open the hatch a crack so he can see it.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

The big man—or small giant—grins wide. "I'll give you a boost, badger man!" says Lug.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad

Takes a turn on guard duty in the tower Base.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#48 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek climbs up to the third level with Clay in case he needs assistance.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Blackjack and Achaedany stand guard at the lower level, looking out the doorway into the night as the lantern departs upwards. Achaedany ensures Chocolate has some fodder and is content at the back of the circular room.

Lug hefts the badger upwards, followed by Clarabelle (with her lantern) and Rhybek. They find the second and third floors largely untouched - they contain the rummaged scrap-material nests and detritus of the kobold's lives. A boost on Clay's furry posterior raises him past the ladder-obstacle of each floor.

Clay peeks through the narrow slit as the trapdoor is opened just enough for this purpose. You see a half-dozen adult "geese" posturing around the floor or resting on makeshift nests. This animal has a scaly dark purple hide and a body shaped like a swan's. Its face resembles that of a chicken and its eyes remind you of a monitor lizard's. It has a frill around its neck, a pair of bat-like wings, and a pair of short horns. Besides the adults, a dozen hatchlings, horrid in their scaley-featheredness, cheep hungrily and waddle on their webbed feet.

Clay calls upon the power of Beith to dispel the unnatural forms of these creatures - the spell seems to have no impact except to attract their attention. The geese come flapping and hissing at the trapdoor. Clay drops back down, the closed door blocking their ire until you can contrive the next plan.

Date: 10:50pm, 17 July 2021
Light: Clarabelle's lantern (until 1:20am); None at base (-4 penalty)
Distance: eight miles today

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#50 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek shrugs.

"We could just secure the trap door from below and let them have the top of the tower for the time being," he says. "Not sure they're worth fighting."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Zhym »

Lug shrugs. "'Kay, so, we got geese-lizard-chickens in the attic," he says. "S'fine by me. They don't need killing or nothing, right?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Didn't you have some friendly terms with a phantom feline? That large cat you spoke about that comes and goes around here, maybe he would like to hunt the 'geezards' ? If they are only roosting then lock the hatch and despatch them later." he says to the badger man Clay.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Kumsar, yes. He said he avoids this place because of the kobolds' traps. And we only ever crossed paths once. Clay agrees that somehow barring the hatch would be best. We can deal with them after a night's rest.

Clay will take the last watch with Morr. Clarabelle and Maurice can take any night time watch.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#54 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek agrees they should all get some rest now that they've secured most of the tower.

He blocks the trap door to the last level as best he can before he heads back down to the first level. Rhybek offers to take one of the shifts in the middle of the night.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

The top hatch secured, the group goes back down to rejoin Amistad and Achaedany. You secure the door now and light a fire in the fireplace - it is quite cozy as a campsite to be sure. The night passes without incident thus secured.

Date: 8:00am, 18 July 2021
Light: Fireplace, Daylight (outside)
Distance: None

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Confesses to the group, "You know I came here primarily to salvage the bronze winches which have been left in the adjoining warehouse building. They are of considerable value to my business. I wanted to secure them and return home as soon as possible with Achaedany as well. I am willing to scout with a group for a couple of days to secure the tower here but cannot venture to much into the unknown at this point, at least until the equipment is back at my yard. Then I would be up for further discovery."

So Amistad will want to load the cart with the winches if possible after breakfast.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

It's a shame to come all this way without going a bit farther, but I understand if you want to turn back. I'd like to see what lies in the forest. Maurice mentioned ruins to me once. Clay states that he will be of no help with the equipment, so he intends to inspect the outbuildings, starting with the attached sheds first. He says he will cast Find Traps once and circle the property, marking what he sees, then, if time permits, he will address the large barn next.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Spearmint »

subject to safe travel I can make it to the yard and back here within three days. Leaving the cart at Beith Watch on the return or four days otherwise. That enough time for folk to scout these buildings and reinforce the tower for a characters future usage? I could also pick up some extra folk en route to bolster our party.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Interesting point. You'd need to roll to keep Achedany if you went back, right? It might make sense to leave her behind and make the trip with Rhybek or Lug. Up to you though.

Are Lug and Rhybek going to help load the block and tackle stuff, or explore the compound?

edit: corrected character names.
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

"That's all you came out for?" asks Lug, amused. "Hardware?"

"Go back whenever you want, but anything you take back ought to be group loot. You gonna pay us our shares now?"

Lug hasn't even had a good fight yet! No way is he heading back to town already.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”