Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

Rising on the morning of July 16th, Blackjack Amistad harnesses his new draft horse, Chocolate, to a two-wheel cart and sets off to Beith's Watch, intending to meet up with Clay Weatherwax and the Grizzly Woman for a trip northward eight miles to the Kobold's Tower, hoping to collect the winching equipment and perhaps other goods.

Party Members:
  • Blackjack Amistad
  • Rhybek the dwarf
  • Achaedany (NPC)
  • Clay Weatherwax
  • Clarabelle (NPC)
  • Mors, hunting dog (NPC)
  • Maurice, the pygmy owl (NPC)
  • Chocolate, the Draft Horse (with Cart) (NPC)
  • The Grizzly Woman
  • Huckleberry, the bear (NPC)
  • Lug

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2

#2 Post by Marullus »

Travel to Beith's Watch [1d4] = 1

Achaedany paces along next to the cart as Blackjack drives, the pair making their way across the now-well-packed dirt road across the wild countryside towards Beith's Watch. It is mid-morning when you see two wargs pacing you on the ridgeline to your left - one large, one juvenile. They're about 80' away.

Date: 9:30am, 16 July 2021
Light: Sun
Injuries: None

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#3 Post by Alethan »

Apologies, is there still time for Rhybek to join this expedition? Since he's steady been there, he might be useful to have along...
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I thought Starbeard was sitting out of the game for a few real-world months.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Spearmint »

Amistad contacted Rhybek about the expedition, inviting him along as he scouted the place previously. (re PM Spearmint to Alethan).

"Choco has nerves of steel so won't be fazed by a couple of future hearth rugs." says Amistad, patting the horse and steadying it along the trail. "Might be more hidden on the other side of the ridge but we don't need to act spooked or look like an easy meal ticket. Ma warg wants to watch her cub, maybe master dwarf Rhybek can stick one in the juveniles' leg and cause them to limp away?"

He also suggests Achaedany lights a flaming torch to carry as most natural creatures are flame afraid.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

I was unclear if Starbeard wanted to do this one. If he doesn't post, we'll drop Grizzly out. Rhybek added!

The wargs continue to pace along the ridgeline, the young warg stalking your party parallel to your course and under its mother's watchful eye.

Date: 9:40am, 16 July 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#7 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek readies his crossbow, but does not fire it at the young warg.

"Better not to provoke the ire of the mother warg if it can be helped. I'll put one in the mom's eye if the pup does anything stupid, though..."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#8 Post by Alethan »

Spearmint wrote:Amistad contacted Rhybek about the expedition, inviting him along as he scouted the place previously. (re PM Spearmint to Alethan).

Apologies, Spearmint. Was out of the country on holiday and didn't spend much time on the USS as a result. I'm back now...

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Aye, Rhybek, wise words. Especially if we expect to meet and greet this renowned druid at his tower en route. Don't want him cursing us because we shot down his furry pals."

Amistad gees up the draft horse to plod on, sticking to the trail but watching out for more silhouettes of trailing wolves on either side of us.

Starbeard
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Starbeard »

I'll be out of this one. Presume that Grizzly travels as far as Beith's Watch and then retires there for an indefinite amount of leisurely days full of the honey, nuts and beef jerky she brought along. Good luck everyone!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Marullus »

The wargs pace you for a while but don't risk engaging with the party. Huckleberry growls at them to warn them off and eventually they peel away. After a half-day of trotting the cart and walking the group arrives at Weatherwax Meetinghouse.

Date: noon, 16 July 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Rhybek at least will be partially familiar with the place having passed through last month. Amistad will greet the druidic badger known as Clay,.

He will tell him of the plans to salvage gear from the kobold tower warehouses and recon further of time allows.

Actually having an animal to explore in the places occupied by other creatures might work to our advantage. disturbed by reports of hybrid creatures, Amistad will share what he know regarding the morlocks and their nightly hunting patterns.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay emerges from the meeting house and greets the trio. He is startled to hear of the wargs' presence. They're pretty bold. Glad no one was hurt, though his tone leaves some question as to whether he was about just the adventurers, or the wargs as well. Hearing the plan to travel to the northwest, Clay's dark eyes light up. I've been interested in looking at that tower since I first saw it. And even more interested in seeing what lays beyond. If you don't mind the company, I'd like to come along. It takes Clay only a few minutes to prepare himself and his entourage to head out.

Clay, Morr and Clarabelle load into the wagon, while Maurice takes to the sky to scout the area. Clay asks Blackjack about his travels to the east, specifically about pixies, centaurs and the nymph, having heard allusions to these creatures from the bard in the tavern. When I heard they were there, I regretted building here. It seems like it would be nice to be near such magnificent creatures. I even heard of hippogryfs to the east. We only seem to have more of those strange hybrids here. He tells the group about the invisible, gossamer-winged tiger that roams these plains, wondering how long the wargs will last with Kumsar on the prowl.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#14 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek raises his bushy brows when they are greeted by a talking giant badger. "I din believe my cousins at Idmi d’dum when they said a talking badger came into the hall, preaching in the ways of the dwarves! I thought they were pulling me leg!"

Not one to be taken by surprise for long, Rhybek continues with a grumble, "Aye, well, the creatures near the Kobold tower are more likely the result of those crawler things messing with nature than nature showing us her majestic creations. These things are down right scary and dangerous. Best sharpen your claws, Dwarf-friend."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

A huge bear of a human with curly black hair and a scruffy beard, wearing splintmail and with a conspicuously large sword and bow on his back strolls up the road behind you, approaching Beith's Watch as you talk.

Do you have room for another PC on the expedition? Lug, played by Zhym, is now imported from the North Marches chronicle. :)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#16 Post by Alethan »

More than welcome, if you ask me. Is that pronounced with a hard or soft 'g'?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Zhym »

"Hi! I'm Lug!" says Lug, with a hard "g." He's nearly seven feet tall and looks to be well over 25 stone. He wears a wolf hide as a cloak. A small pouch hangs on a strap around his neck and a silver charm shaped like a wing is pinned to his chest. He peers at the group's weapons and nods, as if satisfied of something.

"Wanna be friends?" he asks. "You gonna go fight bad guys? Can I come?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#18 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

Looks at the appearance of the man mountain like he finds a big tree worth felling. I think even the draft horse would baulk at carry such a rider, would he even fit into a Morlock tunnel?

"Sure Lug" says Amistad, "I'm picking up some salvage for my enterprise but if critters want to pick a fight I'll leave them to you."

When folk are ready, had luncheon and fed the horse we can head off towards the kobold tower.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay nods to the large man as well.I'm Clay. I wasn't always a badger. This is Morr and Maurice. They don't talk. Just me. And Clarabelle, there. We'd like to go beyond the tower, which I expect is dangerous. You're welcome to join us.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Zhym »

Lug seems unfazed at the talking badger. "I've seen talking animals," he explains. "There was this big bad wolf, and a horse-man, though I guess he was really more half animal. He was my pal. Now he's dead." The man-giant looks sad. "I think. Hey, maybe in this world he's alive!" Lug brightens up and looks happy again.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”