Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Blackjack/Return to Kobold Tower - 16 July 2

#141 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"When I was last in the forest I met some centaurs. Sure they were not hybrid horse - men of Morlock design. But that is a couple of days trek into the forest on the other side. Green dragons, sexy dryad babe and walking trees too," the logger says.

Still think someone ought to pitch a claim for the tower though. Let's clear it out before we clear off elsewhere.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Zhym »

Lug's interest is piqued. "You met centaurs?" he asks Amistad. "Neat! I wonder if they know Xavro. Let's go find them and ask!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay agrees wholeheartedly to the script change in plans. And not just because the dryad was described as a babe.

He suggests checking out the spider barn before leaving.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#144 Post by Marullus »

Lots of discussion. Back to Blackjack as Lead to state a declarative plan/action?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Spearmint »

'Blackjack' Amistad

"Well further exploring in the northern forests is fine with me if folk want to give up on the kobold tower. The centaurs assisted me way up on the eastern edge of the forest, a day or so trek from my sawmill. A the dryad is by the river, though she may have moved since we blinded the dragon young swimming in the water."

Amistad checks on the map for the shortest way home to drop off the recovered salvage and then to trek into the forests. It could be three or four full days by foot.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by Marullus »

So the group plan is to return, passing through the town, dropping off the wagon of stuff at the lumber yard, then proceeding immediately up the river to enter the forest via that route instead of here?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I'm a bit confused by all this.

First folks were upset that Blackjack had only come out to get some equipment and planned to keep that for himself, not splitting the value. So we started looking around the yard to find treasure, but then Lug and Blackjack took offense to killing things that hadn't attacked them first. Then Blackjack mentioned centaurs and everyone is just going to head back? What about the first grump - Blackjack isn't going to reimburse anyone still. Are Lug and Rhybek suddenly okay with that?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Zhym »

Lug's wisdom is 4. He's not exactly a model of constance. ;)

But honestly, I didn't think going to see centaurs meant going to town first.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#149 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We could traverse the hexes north of Gaul to get there, but with a wagon on rough terrain, it makes more sense to head back to Gaul first.

But Clay is happy to skip town. People look at him funny since he turned into a badger.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#151 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek shakes his head, "Nah, mate, I meant explore the forests around here, not go looking for things you've already found. If nobody wants to do that, then there's golden eggs on the roof of that building we need to check out."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

If someone wants to declare unilateral action (i.e. "I go up to the lizard-chickens") then I can resolve that.

Otherwise, with no consensus, I am going to move with what Amistad says as expedition leader, which is "I drive the wagon back to the lumberyard and then will decide on going further." If anyone wants to drop at that point, you can peel off and return to town, or stay here via declarative action.

If this isn't going anywhere, Dram is trying to organize a group to go to the lair of the heavily-wounded dragon...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Clay looks back up at the roof of the barn, then at his paws, knowing he cannot climb.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#154 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek grumbles, then uses his rope and grapple hook, setting a rope to the roof. He climbs the rope to check out the roof.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Marullus »

Rhybek hooks his grapple on the top edge of the craggy stone wall and, some effort, hauls himself up to the top, flipping his leg over and out of sight.
climbing: [1d6] = 3

The roof has caved in, making this a chaotic mess. The roofless walls make it a concave bowl of rotted materials, signs of larger creatures nesting over many, many years. You can't see the large hatchway, as it os buried entirely. The small trap door above the ladder looks like it recently caved in, heavy debris hanging downward. There is a large nest of ruined thatch and rock chunks which is the newest, and currently occupied, habitation. You see a large chicken-like creature with a fluffy-feathered juvenile cheeping next to it. It is a large, red-feathered chicken with the scaled lizard tail and leathery wings with feathered fore-edges. You both eye each other for a moment but it doesn't seem perturbed by you. You see the rounded curve of a gold golden egg in its nest.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#156 Post by Alethan »

Rhybek slowly edges towards the nest, seeing if he can scare the mother and juvenile away from the nest so he can look for golden egg fragments.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Marullus »

Rhybek raises his weapon and bellows, stepping towards the lizard-chickens to frighten them off the nest. Their lack of concern turns to aggression! They flap towards him to meet his threat.

(Round 1! Actions!)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#158 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Can the ground crew target the angry bird with ranged weapons?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Can the ground crew target the angry bird with ranged weapons?
No, not from where you're standing. This should really all remain in spoiler tags; you can hear a commotion but see nothing without advancing into the scene by some means.

Rhybek limbers his shield and hefts his axe, taking swing at the bird-like creature with his axe. The axe blade bites deep into the mother chicken's side, (-6) but it shrugs it off and clamps on his forearm with its sharp beak. (-3) While the cut is minor for Rhybek, he is alarmed to see a greying around the wound and a stiffening feeling in his limb where the creature has bitten him. (Save vs Para, please) The juvenile bird flaps excitedly behind its parent, but can't get into the battle, deflected by Rhybek's shield.

Date: 10:41am, 18 July 2021
Light: Daylight (outside)
Distance: None
Injuries: Amistad (minor damage), Rhybek (minor damage)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”