Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

#21 Post by onlyme »

Alethan wrote: Then you have to have some sad parting words with your mule when you have to leave him down in the dungeon to die.

"Stay gold, Pony..."
Suddenly, while packing for the trip, Halfpint bursts into tears for her recently abandoned for dead pony, Peck.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#22 Post by Marullus »

...the wound is still so fresh. ;)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#24 Post by Zhym »

We had talked about hiring a fighter to do fighting (as opposed to tending mounts). Do we still want to do that? After Olaf, the group starts looking awfully squishy.

If you look around the group and don't see the meatshield, it means you're the meatshield.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#25 Post by Alethan »

Earc can try and recruit a fighter. He might have a better chance of recruiting a dwarf, since he has a better standing with them. Doesn't matter to him, though.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#26 Post by Zhym »

A dwarf makes sense. How's Earc's charisma?

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#27 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:A dwarf makes sense. How's Earc's charisma?
He already has a friendly persuasion with them because of some things he did for them. But otherwise, it's pretty average.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#28 Post by Zhym »

Would a dwarf be any better at recruiting a dwarf? The default for dwarves and lawful fighters is friendly with a +1 penalty to the roll. I assume that's where Olaf would be.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#29 Post by Bluehorse »

Alethan wrote:
Zhym wrote:A dwarf makes sense. How's Earc's charisma?
He already has a friendly persuasion with them because of some things he did for them. But otherwise, it's pretty average.
It was college... he was experimenting... needed the money... let's not bring it up.

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#30 Post by hedgeknight »

I'd rather not be a co-leader of the group. As you can see, I only get around to this forum about once a week. I will try to drop in more often once the quest is underway. Hopefully, we can finish by the end of December, when I plan to take a hiatus from gaming for awhile.

Casper White
has a lot on his mind, and he finds his companions talking about the upcoming expedition orders a mug of hard cider and quietly takes a chair. When there is a break in the conversation, he stands and clears his throat. "If I may, I have some information, from my studies, that may prove useful going forward." He sips from his mug and begins.

"Several folk in town, aye even in this room, bear ancient dwarven relics; some of which may compel others to either follow us...or fight us. Olaf, you will want to pay particular attention to all this. Halfpint currently wears the armor of Gardur, son of Jabal, nephew of Jarkul. Wearing this armor and carrying the horn of Jarkul, while bearing his banner, Gardur led a mighty dwarven host against the hold of Dreadlord Nystoraeth.
"I have discovered that the spear and its banner is currently being carried by Fingers McGraw, and the Horn of Jarkul was used by Clay and Halfpint's companions against the goblins and the dragon, isn't that right, milady?"
Casper takes a sip of cider and continues.

"Thymur the Unmoveable was a staunch companion of Gardur, and he held the breach against the hordes of undead summoned by the necromancer, while also being assailed by an onslaught of spells. His war spear is currently in the possession of one named Corbin. Does anyone know of him and his whereabouts?"

"Grennus the Hound Slayer, a younger cousin of Thymur, gained honor to his own name during the long siege with his keen sight and crossbow. In the night, they would loose fire-breathing hounds of hell upon the siege lines and Grennus' keen eye made a game of this nightly pursuit, dispatching many of the creatures back to the planes they came from before they could harm a single dwarf. A man by the name of 'Silent' currently carries the crossbow, along with Gardur's shield. Do we know of this persons whereabouts?"

"Now, the battle turned when Dreadlord Zhint was slain. His fingers where chopped off and later taken to the dwarven king. I believe someone named Baxtaw was able to destroy the fingers of Zhint recently in a battle with Foxy O'Hare and companions.
More importantly, Baxtaw now wields Gaahk Harzuul, the wizard-cast longsword of General Kell Zaahl, warlord under Zhint. The bane of the dwarven host, this mighty warrior commanded legions of the dead for the necromancers and fought on the front lines against the dwarven heroes. The greatest horror and affront to the ancestors was his ability to deny the dwarven warriors their passage to the Great Halls - many of the dwarves he slew rose immediately under his command to turn on their kin, forcing dwarves to fight the ghastly forms of their own brothers and friends during the assault.
"My friends, we must find this sword."

"There are three items of power taken from that siege that must be accounted for. The Orb of Endless Suffering, used by Dreadlord Zhint himself to command the dead. This is an extremely powerful artifact, and it is currently in the possession of Clay Weatherwax.
The Soul-Tome of Dreadlord Zhint, into which the Dreadlord imbued a portion of his very soul and essence in horrible mockery of the gods and ancestors, that he might regain his power at a future time, is in the possession of Baxtaw. I fear that somehow, Dreadlord Zhint may return to this life should that tome fall into the wrong hands. It must be destroyed."
And finally, the Soul-Tome of the Arch Priest, Thanul. He was the chief luminary of the Dark Gods, and that tome bears part of his soul."

Casper opens the satchel on his side and removes a large worn tome and sets it on the table."I am its possessor and although I have only given it a cursory glance, I can tell you it is highly chaotic in nature. I wish to see it destroyed as well."

Casper drains his mug and sits back down, taking a few deep breaths to calm himself.
Winter is coming...

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#31 Post by Stirling »

is this a public post in the tavern or only knowledge for your expedition group?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#32 Post by Zhym »

Olaf listens to all the item lineages. He seems confused.

"So...we not be leaving now?"

hedgeknight
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#33 Post by hedgeknight »

Stirling wrote:is this a public post in the tavern or only knowledge for your expedition group?
It was intended just for my adventuring group, but if we are planning our expedition in the tavern, I can see where it could be overheard. That would be up to the discretion of Marullus. ;)
Winter is coming...

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#34 Post by Marullus »

Posted. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#35 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:"So...we not be leaving now?"
Well I'm still planning to go...

Winnine has a CHA of 17. She can recruit, but not supply a merc. And she can only recruit someone of level 1 or lower.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#36 Post by Zhym »

How, if at all, does this news affect our plans?

This expedition sure is slow to get started. ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#37 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I think that is up to Casper. If he feels he needs to deal with that stuff rather than coming with us, that's up to him. We would just need to find a different cleric to join us. Or... Maybe we get the orb and then find Piers Garret, cleric, and raise him. Then he can be our cleric! :D

In all, it is amazing all that stuff came from a random encounter roll. We were headed for the kobold tower on that adventure and got sidetracked by a few ghouls. :shock:

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#38 Post by Zhym »

Not all of it. Fingers got his spear at the kobold tower, I think. Was everything else from one expedition? It seems like the dwarfs claim to have owned every piece of magical whatsit. Are we sure they're on the up and up about that? ;)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#39 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Zhym wrote:Was everything else from one expedition?
Finger's Heads West, first attempt

** a bronze dwarven warhorn with finely-detailed engraving work on it showing a succession of crowned dwarves.
** A longsword is of superb quality, a slender blade etched with runes along its length. It has a plain ball pommel and a black leather hilt.
** One set of dwarf-sized banded mail in good condition
** A steel roundshield that is unusually light
** A well-worn heavy spear with a elongated head (1d8, can't be thrown)
** A well-worn spear with remains of a banner
** A masterfully-made dwarven crossbow with snarling hound carvings worked in the side

I put bold around Finger's spear.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#40 Post by Zhym »

Don't mind me. I can't remember who was on expeditions with my own PCs.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”