Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

#641 Post by Marullus »

Olaf suspects it was once a ruby, but now is black instead of red. From the wear on the stone, he thinks it was mounted in jewelry, likely a pendant.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#642 Post by Zhym »

Olaf wonders if the gunk on this ruby can be removed to get to the gem underneath. Something for later investigation.

Might make sense to drag all this loot back to town and prep for another trip out here.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#644 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie swallows hard, choking down her anger and fear about what just transpired. Being ripped back to this mortal realm was terrible and an affront to her religion, but Bianca was her closest friend, and she must be even worse off, having performed the sacrilegious act. She hoists Bianca to her feet and dusts the elf off, straightening her friend's clothes and hair. Come on. What's done is done. We'll figure it all out when we get back. We'll figure it out together. She wonders if those are just words though.

When Olaf enters with the off-colored ruby, she is happy to have something else to focus on. She inspects the gem, wondering if the color changed due to being used in magic. She suggests as much.

I've deducted 4 flasks of oil, which is all of her oil, by the way.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#645 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Stays in a more or less catatonic state after she is helped to her feet. She does take the time to retreive her items and hands Winnie back her staff though she cannot make eye contact with her at the moment.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#646 Post by Alethan »

Earc nods as he watches Winnie inspect the gem, clearly unwilling to touch it himself.

"I've heard of gems being used to house mortal souls for safe keeping. And gems that contain demons. Maybe even other things, too. But I've never heard of a gem being used to hold anything good..."

"Maybe we can transport some of this stuff back to the chests in the gnoll rooms for safe keeping, although it looks like nobody has been down here in a long time, so it could be safe where it is. Likely the inhabitants know about the black ooze..." Earc pauses. "Yes, the goblin runt had a drawing of a black mass with evil eyes, didn't it? Maybe that was his interpretation of the black ooze..."

Earc will carry one of the chests of writing materials with him back to the gnoll room. If the two dwarfs can carry one each as well, then that would be good. Anyone else who has room should take something as well. Like the gems?
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#647 Post by Zhym »

Olaf is happy to carry the gems. ;)

I figure we can detect magic on the black ruby and, if everyone is okay with the idea, take it to the temple of Eruanna to see if it's tainted with the infernal (at the risk of it being destroyed if it is).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#648 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Olaf is happy to carry the gems. ;)

I figure we can detect magic on the black ruby and, if everyone is okay with the idea, take it to the temple of Eruanna to see if it's tainted with the infernal (at the risk of it being destroyed if it is).
OOC: Concur.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#649 Post by Bluehorse »

Alethan wrote:
Zhym wrote:Olaf is happy to carry the gems. ;)

OOC: Concur.
ditto

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#650 Post by Stirling »

Issachar

"Didn't something happen also to one of the witches in the tavern? Is that anything we should be worried about?"

Issachar will maintain a stout watch as folk study the books and gems.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#651 Post by onlyme »

Halfpint will take the empty chest, if she can make sure the poison lock won't hit her.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#652 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

At the mention of possible-further necromancer, Winnie hands the green back to Olaf hastily. We've had enough of such things for today, she says, then immediate feels remorse for bringing it up.

She packs one box of inks in her backpack, then carries one more in a sack, along with a mortar and pestle.

How many boxes can she fit in one small sack?

Winnie will focus on getting some of the lab equipment, but I need to look up what thing weigh. The along with her personal stuff and the spell book, one box of inks will fill her backpack. And put her at 60lbs. Then whatever she can cram into her small sacks... Silver tools, lab equipment, etc.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#654 Post by Marullus »

I just need you to make a list of what you take and what you leave.
A pony or mule can carry a base amount at full speed (200). Carry twice that at half-speed (400). The same amount at full-speed, with a cart and on roads (400). Twice that at half-speed, with a cart and on roads (800). The same amount at 1/4 speed with a sledge (no wheels), or with a cart but no roads (800).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#655 Post by Alethan »

OOC: can everyone post their current encumbrance? I'll come up with a list of all things and we can figure out what we can take and what we have to leave.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#656 Post by Zhym »

Last I tallied Olaf's encumbrance, it was about 51 lbs. But it's been a while since I checked it. Encumbrance accounting is my absolute least favorite part of D&D, especially because there's nowhere in the US dice roller sheet to keep track of it, so every time the encumbrance question comes up I have to go look up what everything weighs and add it all up. Again.

One of these days, I'll just start keeping my character sheets in spreadsheets that at least add up encumbrance for me given weights. But not today.

Bit of a rant there. Sorry.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#658 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Without any treasure, Winnie was at 25 pounds. This is where she's going to be "carrying her weight," as Earc put it. ;)

I totally agree that it is a bear because the US character sheets don't have a place to track weights. Maybe I'll start putting weights in the "quantity" column that preceds the item... it won't tally it all up, but at least I wont need to look everything up again.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#659 Post by Zhym »

I've also seen people put weights in the descriptions of each item. Maybe I should start doing that. Still doesn't help with having to re-sum everything each time, though.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#660 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

hey Al. Do something to make Zhym a happier camper, will ya? :P

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”