Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: Expedition: Earc/Guhra's Tower - 15 July 2021

#261 Post by Alethan »

Earc narrows his eyes at the idea, "How do you propose you safely charm just three of them right now and then three more each day for... three more days? It just doesn't seem feasible."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#262 Post by Zhym »

"Bashin' time?" asks Olaf again.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#263 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie knew she was no good at "bashin'," and was, indeed a bit afraid of it. I had planned to target the biggest and hoped the others would listen to that one. Like what happened with the goblins at the camp. Only this time we have a translator. She shrugged, and then followed the others' lead.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#264 Post by Alethan »

Earc replies, "The charm spell is notoriously questionable in its results as 'friendship' means different things in different cultures. If we faced significantly fewer numbers, we might chance it. Against these numbers, however, I don't think we should."

He studies the group for a minute and asks, "Bianca, did the gnolls have light sources?"

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#266 Post by Stirling »

Issachar

"maybe both of you turn invisible. You sneak in and find the nursery for their pups. Probably be at the back of this system. Put them to sleep ... permanently. When the hue and cry is raised, we run in and 'threshing time'," the cleric says giving his heavy flail a little stroke. He takes his rosary beads and mumbles a little prayer in strange tongues 'for the dead and dying'.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#267 Post by Alethan »

Earc nods, "Ok, what sort of spells do you have ready for the day, Bianca and Winnie? I can cast sleep, but I also have three magical missile spells memorized, which would allow me to cast nine missiles at them. What if we sneak the dwarves and the halfling into the room, then the rest of us approach from the tunnel. If they are still carousing and bathing and making noises, likely their noise will cover the noise of the dwarves. I will cast all of my spells and hold them. The signal to begin fighting will be when I put some of them to sleep and then immediately send all nine magical missiles into the gnolls that are still awake. Does anyone see any glaring issues with this? I suppose we could attempt this without sneaking people in... once I cast my spells, the rest of you could run forward into the room and deal with any gnolls still standing."

OOC: Marullus, is it possible to cast a different spell while holding magic missiles on standby? I guess if it isn't, then he couldn't hold more than one set of missiles in any case, right?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#268 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie mentions she only has charm person memorized today. (x3)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#269 Post by Marullus »

Yes, you can hold missiles and cast/act. The limit is that the missiles last a Max of one turn / 10 rounds.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#271 Post by Zhym »

Olaf rolls his eyes. "What the heck ye be doing here, then?" he asks. "Looting a tower be self defense, do it?" He snorts and wipes his beard.

"When them doggos see us, they ain't gonna be inviting us in for tea. Enough talky talk. It be bashin' time!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#272 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Witches of the Sisterhood may not kill natural, wild creatures except in self defense.
Technically, I don't think the prohibition applies to sentient creatures, just the wild kind. IMO, wargs would fall into this category, but not goblins, etc. Marullus, can shed more light on this, of course. And, of course, Bianca could just be more of a purist and hold to more strict dogma.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#273 Post by Marullus »

I think you can argue the finer points of doctrine IC.
:) "Don't attack first" is a safe line, but difficult for murderhobos.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#274 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing Bluehorse and I had different definitions for it, I was just wondering what "wild" meant in your mind. Happy to discuss it in character though. And once the creatures defend themselves, will be defending ourselves anyway.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#275 Post by Marullus »

My clarification was in the next sentence - wild means "not domestic" to me. You are disputing if "animal"
includes more sentient species. That's open to interpretation.

Though, debating it now will likely result in your death by interparty violence.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#276 Post by Alethan »

Earc growls quietly, "You knew what we were about when you signed on to assault a dwarven tower currently controlled by goblins. These aren't non-sentient peaceful creatures; gnolls kill and eat humans. They likely participated in the caravan raids. I didn't say anything when you hid during the goblin fight, but I'll say something now; if your principles won't let you fight, then you should go back to Gaul and find an expedition more suited to your... disposition."

He does not hide the anger in his voice.

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#277 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Looks calm, but there is a storm behind her eyes as she looks at the heathen before her. She clenches her fist and slowly turns to Winnie. "Sister? I'd hear what you have to say," she says through clenched teeth before looking back to Earc. "and for the record, I never hid. I stood before all, ready to defend, but this had never been nessicary had someone not interfered with Winnie's perfectly executed charm."

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#278 Post by Alethan »

Earc replies, "What? The part where the goblins began going through our supplies and stealing our stuff? Perfect example of a charm spell not going how we expected it to go. If you're not going to participate, then please move to the back of the group so we can do what we came to do."

Bluehorse
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#279 Post by Bluehorse »

Bianca

Takes a shaky breath and grips her staff in both hands. "Mother, grant me patience. If you grant me strength, I may forget my vows and strangle someone... she turns again to Winnie, awaiting her reply.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#280 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Winnie smiles serenely in the dim light, moving between Bianca and Earc. We are all here for the same purpose, but we each have different talents. Assuming everyone here has martial prowess is folly, but we have talents you'll need, such as talking with squirrels and moving quietly enough to scout. She quietly sings the chorus of a children's song, All Beith's creatures have a place in the choir, some sing low and some sing higher. Some just dance up high on a wire, and some just clap their hands, paws, or anything they've got now. She isn't surprised the others haven't heard it. We won't stop the current course of action, and knowing the nature of gnolls and that our quest goes through them, it's likely self defense will be needed soon. Winnie allows the more martially-inclined members of the group to move to the fore, a dart in her hand.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”