EVENT: The Coming of Scatha - June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Coming of Scatha - June 2021

#41 Post by Marullus »

Bremen's request for prisoner transfer is considered. They acquiesce to move him from the Wooden Tower pending his trial - he is blindfolded and moved to a dank cell without windows or light beneath the Temple of Gwanwen. Safe from fire, but alone in the absolute still, silent blackness, he has plenty of time to consider his own mortality. He is thus effectively isolated the last three days before his trial.

The Smithy from the marketplace acknowledges Baxtaw's offer gratefully. "It is a great generosity, elf, to offer such a quantity of precious metal. Platinum, however, is far too ductile - plain iron is six times stronger, in this matter." He turns and offers to the others. "With such payment, however, I could fashion a weapon of steel - it sounds like you describe a ballista, which could be fashioned. I could manufacture two before the new moon, but would need to cease working on all other projects. They'd deliver a heavy blow if they hit, but I don't know that we could make them more accurate and they'd take a prodigious time to reload."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Bremen's request for prisoner transfer is considered. They acquiesce to move him from the Wooden Tower pending his trial - he is blindfolded and moved to a dank cell without windows or light beneath the Temple of Gwanwen. Safe from fire, but alone in the absolute still, silent blackness, he has plenty of time to consider his own mortality. He is thus effectively isolated the last three days before his trial.

OOC: :o :lol:

Bremen blames Markd for his troubles, and to a lesser extent, the Bishop and Duke. Three days is a lot of time to plan the best way to punish one's transgressors. He worries the dragon will kill them too slowly. He wonders if he should call upon Justice to aid him, but decides against it. Besides, that voice was trapped in the chapel and this is a temple to Gwanwyn.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- Addresses the blacksmith. Please begin building the ballista. I will speak with the archduke. See if he will order stop onall other projects you have.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#44 Post by Marullus »

The Blacksmith demures. "You are generous. Each ballista will cost 200 gold pieces, errr... two pounds of your platinum coins."

The ballista will require three men to operate and two rounds to load. It's range is 100/200/300 and it will do 4d6 damage. For 200gp you get the siege engine and 10 steel-headed lances.

One of the Town Merchants interjects. "It is well and good to accept donations, but who shall lead an assured defense? Tales tell of dragonscale impervious to such blows! If you only anger it, what shall save us from its fiery breath?" A general murmur goes through the crowd. "We can offer it those who are in the gaol, can we not? If all it wishes is one criminal each month, we can spare those already convicted!" The fearful folk in the room murmur assent.

Casper White researches in his chambers through his annals of dwarven lore. (See private forum)

Word also circulates through the town of Foxy's confessions to the Priests of Eruanna. She acknowledged that her goading raised the dragon's interest in Gaul. The crowd murmurs that she should appear to answer for it.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare walks with the badger through the town square. After refreshments at the tavern she goes to see the Duke in person via a check on the town farriers.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Dram »

Baxtaw- approaches the guards for the Archduke. I request another council with the Duke, Please.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Marullus »

The murmurs about offering criminals from the gaol quiet down as Foxy and Baxtaw join the others already gathered in the ArchDuke's audience chamber. "Ms. O'Hare, glad to see you much recovered.
The word, the truth, shall we say, is that you bear some responsibility for this town being under threat,"
comments the ArchDuke.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

Dressed for the occasion, Foxy has swapped her riding boots for high heels, leathers and ripped blouson for evening dress and silk stockings. Her hair is shoulder length tresses with woven braids of mother of pearl.

"Thank you Duke Gaul, the Gracious hand of Eruanna restored my virtues. I believe the words spoken by the dragon troubled us all, it broke my mind to hear of his demands. My spirit has been strengthened however and I intend to intercede for the maidens." Foxy does a little curtsey, practised with ease.

She frowns at the statement the Duke makes.

"Of this allegation made against my good name, I bear no such thing your my Lord. The talk of peasants and plaintiffs comes with the crowing of the cockerels. They herald the dawn and speak only of what they fear. In truth you dared build this great city-to-be upon the very land rumoured to be the domain of this beast. Is that not so? I understand Wilhelm looked into those facts before the foundations were laid by your hand Sir. Lack of his due sagacious diligence is not something that should be sustained. This dragon crows too, of what he fears most and seeks to embolden himself with threats. As your domain and influence grows with the rising of each new ear of corn, this wrym must prove itself against the might of other dragon kin. His intimidation of Gaul is a bluff to weaken knees. Speaking of which has anyone dragged Albrecht out from under his bed?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#49 Post by Marullus »

Sir Albrecht bristles visibly in his chair at her insult, as he is still present. The ArchDuke quirks an eyebrow curiously at her reply, "Are you saying the Eruannan are liars?"

Baxtaw - you ended up without platinum from this expedition. Can you amend the scene above by making a new post about your offer to pay?

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Dram »

Dram wrote:Baxtaw- Addresses the blacksmith. Please begin building the ballista. I will speak with the archduke. See if he will order stop onall other projects you have.

Marullus are referring to this post?
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#51 Post by Marullus »

Let's pick up here. You are in the chamber with the ArchDuke already.
Dram wrote:Baxtaw-Walks back in the Archduke hall. How good is our smithy here in Gaul. I say build some them giant crossbow thingies. What will be hard to find is a strong tip of the bolt. I would be willing to donate my platinum to make bolt tip if you think it would be strong enough.]
Marullus wrote:The Blacksmith demures. "You are generous. Each ballista will cost 200 gold pieces, errr... two pounds of your platinum coins."

The ballista will require three men to operate and two rounds to load. It's range is 100/200/300 and it will do 4d6 damage. For 200gp you get the siege engine and 10 steel-headed lances.

Stirling
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Stirling »

Foxy O'Hare

"I have made my full confession, to the priests, to the people. Am I also required to seek absolution under the Law also? ( a note to the Duke's affiliation with Baudh). she says shrugging off the allegations of the crowd as mere 'malcontent'. She has no bandana on her forehead so has confidence, even if not spoken aloud, that with the brand removed her integrity will be questioned less so.

It is true I faced the dragon. I looked it in the eye. I spoke of hope and glory and a better world. Was that too vain a thing for it to consider? And when it crooned for blood and fear, your blood and your fear, I raised my hand to turn it aside from its chosen path of destruction. I have twice wrestled with body and mind against this dragon and yet, (pause for effect), I still live. Thrice I will stand." Foxy says, bowing again to the Duke, then she turns to Albrecht and the assembled noblemen.

"If you knights have raced with goblins on foot and they have worn you out, (a reference to their reticence to address the goblin raiders), , how can you compete with horses? If you stumble in safe country, how will you manage in the mountains?, says Foxy as she quotes from one of the holy proverbs.

"Wasn't it to this court that I approached to gainsay help in ridding the world of the scourge of the goblin Fell-king, whose Fingers pointed at the territory and caravans of Idmi Idum. Where are the dwarven Jarls who give thanks for the saving of their throne? The time of the dwarves has ended, the time of Gaul has begun. Long has this Scatha wrym gorged himself full on the dead bones of the dwarfs legacy. He rises only to dessert on the farms, the life blood, the maidens of Gaul. Will that alone write his name in the heavens? Can not the Duke of Gaul script a higher epitaph. This dragon is but a nimbostratus, a stormy cloud, full of vexation and thunder for a day. When it is blown over and gone will not the Rainbow of Gaul arise and shine."

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Dram »

I have the 20pp that Clay paid me to pay for the Ballista.

Baxtaw approaches the Duke and bows. Sir I have a tooth from the dragon Scatha that was knock from its mouth in our first encounter with dragon. I have a request for the Blacksmith forge 2 Ballista's and now a Lance to mount this on. The blacksmith states that he will not be able to complete the Ballista's before the new moon unless you decree a stop on other projects in the city.
Current Characters/Games
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Marullus »

Sorry - I set this aside and never got back to it. I am going camping with the Girl Scouts for the rest of the weekend. I will move this ahead as soon as I can.

Anyone else who wants to influence the plan, please post.
I am going to wrap up and adjudicate based on what's here.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen sends word from his tiny, subterranean cell that he will be proud to assist defending the town once his name is cleared. He offers to bring his years of experience commanding soldiers to the field of battle - or to lead a raiding party straight to the dragon's own home, claiming it for Gaul.

EDIT: He also requests to be returned to his old cell. The one with windows and was dry.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

How does this event work, exactly? Is it one PC per player? Clay and Able are more powerful, but Bremen is more likely to answer a call to attend from the Duke, and is most in need of earning some points from the Duke and church. So if it is one PC/player, mine would be (Lord Commander) Bremen.

If we could bring more in, Able would offer to act as a heal-bot for anyone willing to offer a confession. The confessions could be made in advance, here, in this thread. :) (Bremen won't be accepting that offer.) And Clay can cast enlarge on a non-intelligent animal. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Marullus »

All characters can participate in special events, should they be so inclined.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Any indication as to whether the dwarfs will come to help Gaul (or take the fight to the dragon directly)? Makes a difference to what Clay would say to the Duke.

June 20
Ablesforth the Wayfarer enters the chamber to see what all the hubbub is about. He's always considered himself a "say yes" sort of person and is excited (and petrified) to see a dragon first hand. Lacking much notion of decorum, he says so, adding, Now I ain't the best fighter in town - I was a carpenter 'ti I got my calling from Her Blessedness, Miss Eruanna. But I can offer a bit o'healing to them what'll be fighting, or otherwise get themselves hurt. He offers to make a couple healing scrolls to augment his normal blessings, but notes he has no coin to spare for the effort, Done offered it to the sickly an' t' get ready to destroy some infernal critters in that old goblin hole just outside'a the town. But if you got some coins t'spare, I'll work some scrolls up. He wonders how many of the people in the room will be dead by the time the dragon is done.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Marullus »

Noon, 15 June 2021

Bremen's request is noted, but no response comes before his trial.

Ablesforth is acknowledged by Sir Albrecht gratefully. "The aid of the holy orders is, of course, always needed. I hope the infirmary is not too greatly taxed by this creature's foray. If Ms. O'Hare is not consumed, perhaps you can provide her some comfort."

The dwarves are riled by Foxy's personal insult just a few days before and do not come with offers of aid at this time, despite Clay's personal move to entreat them. The dwarven representative in the hall remains tight-lipped while Foxy makes her offer to the ArchDuke.

The ArchDuke is impressed by Baxtaw's generosity. He authorizes the blacksmith to begin work on the two ballistae and funds the second one from his own treasury. "This is a good plan, should it turn its attentions to this tower or the city. I'll match your donation and provide the crews to man them atop the tower when the beast appears."

The ArchDuke chuckles in a friendly way at Foxy's quip about absolution. He doesn't seem to give overmuch credence to Eruanna's concerns, himself. "No, I'm sure your absolution amongst the Truthers is sufficient," he smiles. "Your longevity in the face of this beast is indeed commendable, as is your desire to save all others from it by your own personal actions. You are unmarried yourself, are you not? I think in that case you have made a suitable offer."

After all remaining discussion has concluded, the ArchDuke makes his pronouncement. "People of Gaul: We are set upon by a threat which may seem insurmountable. The bravery of those who have come forward, however, give hope that we shall follow to fruition. We have no choice but to signal our understanding to the beast by raising the red flag over the tower. This then gives us two weeks, from the full moon to the new moon, to prepare. On that day, we are requested to present an unmarried maid on the hillock north of the city, where the heads of our goblin foes have long stood as a warning. The dragon, it seems, has a mind for the theatrical. Ms. Foxy O'Hare, she who spoke to the dragon and kindled its interest in our city, has volunteered to be the first tribute to the dragon and thus save all other maidens of our city by her personal actions, as long as she can meet it astride her steed and armed. If she faces the beast successfully, then all woes turn to joys and she will reap her reward for her act. If she is consumed by the beast as sacrifice, we shall honor her deed and the fact that she has bought a month to prepare before the beast comes again. If it turns upon the town, finding Foxy unacceptable, the efforts of Baxtaw the Elf and our own town blacksmith will ensure it finds a credible deterrent in the form of ballistae, which may give it pause."

"In respect for her willing sacrifice, I shall have one of my own suits of armor refitted for Ms. O'Hare that she may face the beast thus accoutured. Should Ms. O'Hare persevere in dispatching the dragon, or should another group do so in the month before its second return, the payment from the town's coffers will be 2,000 gold pieces and the gratitude of all our citizens for saving their daughters from the fear of such an end. Word has gone south that new warriors might be enticed northward to assist us in this dire time."

16 June - 01 July 2021

The red flag is raised over the wooden tower. At dusk that night, the dragon does a brazen fly-by of the town, letting the townsfolk see the immensity of its reptilian form. People scream and run in the streets, which seems to please the beast, and it wings off back to the southwest. The incident makes the threat credible to the townsfolk, however, who face this time with trepidation.

The blacksmith's hammer falls steadily, ringing through the market, as he and all his apprentices work late into each night to build and test the ballistae commissioned for the Wooden Tower.

Foxy O'Hare is summoned to the Wooden Tower where she meets the royal quartermaster that he can fit her properly with a suit of full plate armor, suitable for her riding out on her newly-acquired warhorse.

Post any actions for the interim between when the flag is raised and when Foxy rides forth for single combat. Any support offered to Foxy can be stated here. We'll then move forward with Foxy facing the dragon on the hillock north of the city in this thread.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Zhym »

Olaf Olafssonsson, Son of Olaf, Son of Olaf, is jealous. Foxy gets to fight a dragon—and in brand new armor!

Pendleton is disappointed that his services as a translator do not seem to be required. He was so looking forward to practicing his Dragon.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”