EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

#181 Post by Marullus »

Bremen have more questions, or next witness?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#182 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:The voice then sounded angered. It answered, ...Justice sees you, justice is not blinded by your complicities!
Perhaps blinded by his need for the cleric's testimony, Bremen proceeds amiably despite Florian's stiff demeanor. Thank you, Brother Forian. One final question, I believe. When you told the tale of our escape to the Fountain of Absolution, you said that that voice said "Justice sees you." Correct? After an affirmative answer, Bremen continues. Like Justice was a name... Thank you, brother. No further questions. Bremen takes his seat again.

Again. Sorry for the delay. Hard to remember my train of thought. Bremen has two people to call.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Marullus »

Any redirect from Pendleton?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#184 Post by Zhym »

No redirect from Pendleton

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Marullus »

Florian is dismissed from the stand. "The prosecution rests?" the Archbishop, gaining Pendleton's confirmation. "Before the defense calls it's two witnesses, I have a question. Several witnesses have mentioned the golden knife claimed by Markd.
Stancell, do you have it with you? If so, present it to me?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen snaps to attention, having witnessed Markd's selfishness over the dagger. Of course, Bremen would be too if he had a dagger of healing.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by onlyme »

Markd looks in disbelief over the petty jealously from the others in the room. He addresses the archbishop, in private if possible.
Of course, The grave responsibility that comes with holding it cannot be left to weaker willed folks. I am prepared to keep it safe as long as I shall live.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#188 Post by Marullus »

The Archbishop remains in the general court. He nods solemnly at Markd's words and extends his hand to receive the knife. "Bailiff, allow M... Stancell to advance and present the blade."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen recalls seeing Clerics of Baudh in the Southlands using their Divine powers to command people to so things. Seeing Markd's reluctance, he wonders if the archbishop will need to resort to magic. He hopes so, but keeps his face blank to avoid revealing his pleasure at watching Markd' discomfort.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton watches with bemused interest. Even Archbishop seems to have forgotten that it is Bremen who is on trial, not Markd, he thinks.

No new rolls after Florin's testimony is completed? Though I'm not sure what effect the rolls have.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by onlyme »

Markd walks up to the archbishop and shows him the blade.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Marullus »

The Archbishop looks at the blade, his hand remaining extended for Markd to physically hand it to him.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by onlyme »

Markd hesitantly does so, holding it by the blade for as long as possible.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Marullus »

CHA (15): Bremen [4d6-2] = 14-2 = 12 Pendleton [4d6-2] = 14-2 = 12
(Final total for 5 tests: three successes for Bremen, two for Pendleton.)

As much as Irving was likeable and entertaining, so that much was Florian seen as knowledgeable and informative. The massive crowd of townsfolk who gathered for the spectacle murmur among themselves, drawing again equally into their camps as to whether the points for Bremen or against Bremen were the most convincing. The group that supports Bremen remains larger as you sense the mood of the crowd, though whether this is so because of his own merits or because of the unconvincing repugnance of Markd as his lone accuser is undetermined. The crowd murmurs as they discuss amongst themselves while the drama of the court appears to be taking a break. Very few watch as the cowled Markd ascends the dais to the Archbishop and presents his weapon.

Markd hesitantly extends the golden blade of Baudhon, hilt first, towards Archbishop Keelan, holding the blade as long as he can. The Archbishop wraps his fingers around the hilt, gripping the knife and inhales deeply. He retracts the knife from Markd's grasp and examines it for over a minute, looking over it and reading the Baudhic engravings in its untarnished golden surface. His jaw takes a determined set and at last he looks up at those gathered.

The Archbishop's voice cuts through the crowd, silencing them as they shush each other a moment and strain to hear, waiting for the drama to continue with Bremen's defense. "Enough has been heard. The Defendant is guilty, consorting with the devil bound to the chapel by the three priests who lay, cursed, in the catecombs until you slew their undead forms." He holds the knife across his lap and raises his voice commandingly.

"There is no fate but death for those who traffic in the easy routes to power of the infernal and magic, and by doing so, pervert the designs of Baudh's law. Bailiff, take Bremen into custody and return him to the dungeons of the Wooden Keep until he can be burned at the stake as an example for any other who thinks to repeat his crimes, and as an inspiration to the faithful. This trial is concluded. All are dismissed."

The armed guardsmen obey and move quickly towards Bremen to take him into custody. The crowd gasps in surprise at this early pronouncement of the verdict, the majority of them even a bit indignant, or as his words continue, tinged with fear.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by onlyme »

Markd (naively) awaits the dagger to be returned to him. He speaks,

Our wise and just father, you are looking well again. I know this trial has been a burden and affected you greatly. May I please have the dagger back so I may continue to honor Baudh by serving his will throughout the troubled lands?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Bremen recalls seeing Clerics of Baudh in the Southlands using their Divine powers to command people to so things. Seeing Markd's reluctance, he wonders if the archbishop will need to resort to magic. He hopes so, but keeps his face blank to avoid revealing his pleasure at watching Markd' discomfort.

Must say, Bremen is doing a great job hiding his pleasure... Markd cannot sense it at all. Now we need a way to get him saved... any ideas?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Marullus »

onlyme wrote:Markd (naively) awaits the dagger to be returned to him. He speaks,

Our wise and just father, you are looking well again. I know this trial has been a burden and affected you greatly. May I please have the dagger back so I may continue to honor Baudh by serving his will throughout the troubled lands?
"No," replies Archbishop Keelan, his tone much quieter and more discreet as he and Markd discuss between themselves on the dais. "You have done honorable work in bearing this relic thus far, and in turning it over rightly to the Church. I appreciate your service. Now, depart." The others watch as Markd walks quietly and without further argument down the dais and out the doors of the church. The next thing Markd knows, he is standing in the sun of the town square outside the church doors, the crowd staring at him awkwardly as they pass by.

I'm going to hold there for Bremen's response inside the Church, and that of any other PCs present.
Last edited by Marullus on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Adjusted scene to allow Markd to add new actions.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#198 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Bremen's jaw drops at the pronouncement and he knows immediately the cause of this turn of events. It's that dagger! It's CURSED! THE DAGGER IS CURSED! Markd cursed the Bishop! Help the Keelan!!! He wastes no further time and immediately leaps into the throng of people, hoping to land in a group of Bremen-friendly people.

Bremen isn't waiting around to figure out how to do this legally anymore. If he can get outside, he'll try and steal the nearest, easily available horse.

His primary concern is his life, but if there is a sword he can grab, he'll take it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Also... See!? Bremen was innocent of the charges! It wasn't a demon at all! :P He sold his soul to a devil. I'm pretty bummed Bremen didn't get to call his witnesses. :( I thought this was going pretty well.

As a player, I am sad for Markd losing his dagger of healing and devil-seeing. (Bremen will be laughing about it though. All the way to the bonfire...)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton stands aghast, gobsmacked. He's not sure what to think. He won, so there's that, but he didn't even get to deliver his closing argument! He had a beauty of a speech planned, too, tying all the testimony together into one coherent narrative, highlighting statements that helped his case while explaining away small peccadilloes like Markd's repulsiveness and Irvin's naiveté.

The procedural stance of the resolution was also quite peculiar. A finding of guilt without allowing the defense to speak? Divination of truth through the employment of a magical dagger instead of by an adversarial process of argument and elicitation of factual testimony? That sounds more like the way of Eruanna, not Baudh. Still, Pendleton is no scholar of comparative theology. Who can know the ways of Baudh? A win is a win, he supposes.

There is, however, the matter of his fee. He should really speak to the Archbishop about that.

As chaos breaks out in the chapel and Bremen leaps into the throng, Pendleton looks at the set of the Archbishop's jaw and realizes that this may not be the best time to ask.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”