Re: EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

#101 Post by Marullus »

"No, of course not," replies Irving.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by onlyme »

Markd is justifiably upset at the testimony. Not even that beautiful golden plaque honoring him, prominently displayed next to the sun sigil, can lift his spirits after Irving's blistering answers.

He cannot believe this charlatan of a counselor is butchering such an easy task. During a quick break, he whispers over to Pendleton,
"I thought when you agreed to do this, that you'd actually try. If you let Brother Florian attack you like Irving has, all is lost. Please try to get the truth out. If Mr Bremen walks free with that evil demon controlling him, this town is in worse peril than that dragon everyone's been talking about. "
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton scowls at Markd and shushes him. Last time I take a case on contingency, he thinks.

Marullus: I assume we can recall witnesses who have already testified?

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by onlyme »

Markd quietens back down, respectful of growing difficulty that Pendleton faces. He believes he got his point across and there is no reason to distract the poor prosecutor any more than necessary.

You're doing a great job, by the way. I blame the DM and his loaded dice rolls :)
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:Marullus: I assume we can recall witnesses who have already testified?
Of course. And... you're all awesome. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Marullus »

Bremen?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Oh! I missed your answer. Sorry. I'll post later today or this evening. Work has been picking up, so free time is decreasing.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:
Zhym wrote:Marullus: I assume we can recall witnesses who have already testified?
Of course. And... you're all awesome. :D
Thank goodness. I am having a difficult time keeping my train of thought going, and just seem to be able to try and focus on refuting Pendleton's points.

Bremen nods at Irving's answer. Thank you so much for your great testimony, Mr. Rosemont. You have really helped clarify that I've been accused by a man labeled by a God as untrustworthy, and then further accused by the sort of person that would steal the pack animals of his quest-companions and steal their horses, leaving them to their doom - were it not for your own heroics, that is. I think everyone in this room can see that you are a fantastic person, and, for the record, I'm really glad we had the chance to fight side-by-side for Baudh's glory. Feeling that the charming-Irving's testimony can only be swaying the public to his side, Bremen pauses a moment. He is about to dismiss IRving when he remembers his next question.

Mr. Rosemont, when we were trying to get to that Fountain of Healing, and were pinned down in that low tunnel by the scorpion-men and their kobolds, getting shot up by that crossbow... Well do you remember that? Do you remember which of us ran into that tunnel first? Who was it?

and assuming his memory is correct, answering "Markd"...

Do you recall what the voice of Baudh shouted at him?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Zhym »

"Your Grace," interjects Pendlton, standing, "the accused continues to inject his own opinions, beliefs, and observations into his 'questions' for the witnesses. He cannot hide behind the protections against being a witness against himself—and being cross examined—while using his 'questions' to introduce backdoor testimony. I ask the court to hold that he has waived his right not to testify and may therefore be called to the stand for cross-examination."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Marullus »

(Nice move. 8-) I'm crediting it as Rusty's problem, though, not Bremen's. :) )
"Mister Bremen," replies Archbishop Keelan, "You will refrain from adding your commentary during your questioning; we know you were present on this endeavor. You will save your personal opining and conclusions for your Closing Statement."

Irving looks relieved as he is finally asked about the previous encounter with a voice of Baudh. "Yes, yes, I was there. I remember it. That's when Markd determined he'd bring the charges, of course." He clears his throat and then begins orating dramatically once more. "We had faced scores of skeletons animated from the dead and loathesome ghouls, and now we were pursed by the scorpion men into a dead end. Our only route of escape was by crawling into a low-ceilinged chamber, a penitent position, where it turned out the voice of Baudh confronted us with our sins. With the scorpion-men hard behind us, it was far more stressful than I assume the religious epiphany was meant to be."

"Markd entered first. The voice said to Markd, 'Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children! Come no further! Flee before me! What defense have you for such sin?' He then replied, 'I- I - I have been sent here to collect an item of our mighty one and place it in the church at Gaul, where faithful followers are migrating by the score. The noble priests believe this shall allow the ministry to grow quicker and stronger than those retched nature-hugging Eruannians. If it helps the church, it is my sacred duty to fulfill the mission.' The voice then answered him, '"Unworthy! Unrepentant! Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children! Did you ever ask your brother's evil?'

"Bremen then covered our rear with his crossbow, allowing Florian and I to crawl in while he then followed. The voice then yelled, '"Coward! Shirker! Doubter! Flee!' I... I felt it strike to the quick of me," Irving falters, looking down in humility. 'I admit that I do harbor doubts, and shirked my duties in my past. It was as if it could see my secret shame.'

"That was when you were mortally wounded, Bremen, when the sword of the scorpion-man gutted your abdomen? You blacked out and I dragged you into the passageway out of their reach already unconscious. It was a gruesome injury, but I held in your intestines and pulled you on, as you saved our lives at that moment."

Irving pauses a moment to collect his thoughts, then continues. "As I said, the voice was yelling at all of us now. Markd answered it, '"I do not need to ask the motivations of a true follower of the mighty Baudh, as I am sure he would not do something to bring dishonor without justification. Let us enter.' The voice responded, ' "You take responsibility for his actions when you defend his honor. The blood of sacrificed children is on your soul. Unrepentant and vile! Go no further, Unworthy!'

"Markd then answered it again, 'I swore I'd return with a particular artifact to help build the church at Gaul. A worthier mission for those who attempt to emulate Cafreya and Gundrat, I cannot fathom. I ask your assistance in that quest, and we will be on our way.' The voice then sounded angered. It answered, '"Beings of hubris, forbidden my realms! You too claim to be all-seeing? To have the wisdom of the Gods?" the voice responds as Markd invokes the names. "Absolution is for those contrite before me, accepting of true justice. Unworthy! Unrepentant! Flee before me, as you shall not advance! You bear the sins of complicitness, you are your brother's keeper, and the blood of children is on your hands. Your honor duel violated, you murder to hide sin. Justice sees you, justice is not blinded by your complicities! You shall not pass!' At that point, I had bandaged Bremen to stymie his blood loss, but the scorpion-men were firing crossbows into our crawlspace. One impacted into Florian, our good cleric, into his side and he swooned unconscious as well. I busied myself with stabilizing him as well.'

With a dramatic crescendo, Irving says, 'Markd then said, 'I do not condone these men's actions or inactions, nor what may reside in their hearts. If we are allowed to pass, to attempt to restore the church at Gaul with the item they need to strengthen their power over the evil men and heartless elves, then i will bring this man to justice before the priest. No one is above the law, and I will honor this pledge with my life. I needed help in fulfilling this task. I didnt ask questions that I probably should have. Sometimes, like many, I assume the ends justified the means and that the priests in Gaul would understand. I have also doubted their wisdom, sending me into places with but little help from the church that it required using unchurchlike methods to continue. For all of those I am sorry.'

He pauses, nodding once firmly, "It was thus that Markd swore before Baudh to bring this man," he nods to Bremen, 'to trial with what he learned from this voice. And, well, here we are." He seems pleased, like he finished his prepared remarks.

He concludes, more sedately, "The portcullis then opened for us, allowing us to escape beyond the reach of the scorpion-men who could not pursue us through the narrow chamber. It said, "Seek your fate at the fountain of absolution,", and Markd and I did, administering the fresh water to all our companions. Their, and our, wounds healed miraculously, but at divine cost..." he pauses, hanging his head. "The nature of the absolution in this case caused us each to relive all the sins we carried guilt for in our hearts, all in livid visions lasting several hours, before we received the gift of absolution and relief of both body and soul." He gives the sign of Baudh over his chest and finishes, "The Justice of Baudh on us all."

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by onlyme »

Markd stares in disbelief of Irving's memory. He looks over to see the priests reaction.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Zhym »

That is quite the level of detail for someone who the DM recently explained couldn't remember specifics because his intelligence is 4. :P

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#113 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

onlyme wrote:Markd stares in disbelief of Irving's memory. He looks over to see the priests reaction.
riiiiight!? Who knew the guy was an idiot savant?

Sorry about Zhym's complaint. I thought occasional summations of testimony was okay. Like I said, I have no courtroom experience, knock on wood.

Bremen makes the sign of Baudh as well, amazed at the detail he provided. He is genuinely impressed, at Irving's ability to weave a story. Unfortunately it was too much information. Thank you for that thrilling account. But you noted that the accusations from the voice changed when the rest of the party entered. That, prior to you and Brother Florian entering,
the voice accused Stancell of "Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children!" And that those accusations changed merely to "coward, shirker and doubter." Is that correct?

And when I entered the penitent passage - last, as you just stated - did the voice rekindle it's accusations of demon worship or child sacrifice or violator of the combat trial?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Marullus »

Whiners. :-P I considered just dropping the block-quotes in... you should be happy I formatted into dialog. ;)

I didn't say he couldn't remember. I said he couldn't make inferences. Double-meanings are reduced to single-meanings. :roll: Keenelf played him that he didn't know that 'the third' wasn't part of his last name.

But you noted that the accusations from the voice changed when the rest of the party entered. That, prior to you and Brother Florian entering,
the voice accused Stancell of "Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children!" And that those accusations changed merely to "coward, shirker and doubter." Is that correct?
"...Yes? Yes." he agrees.
And when I entered the penitent passage - last, as you just stated - did the voice rekindle it's accusations of demon worship or child sacrifice or violator of the combat trial?
"No," he agrees.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

LL p.7 wrote:Intelligence (INT) determines how well a character learns, remembers, and reasons.
Just sayin'. ;) With an INT of 4, Irving's recall should be almost as bad as Markd is repulsive.

And no worries, Rusty. It's all RP.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

@Zhym: Except when it's the player's ineptitude. Which is the case here. :roll: If Marullus had agreed, I'd be okay with having Bremen testify, I suppose. Though I have no idea how the cross examination would work.

Bremen presses a bit further. Intersting. Then is there a possibility, in your mind, that Markd was wrong in deciding the voice was talking about me? And that this whole trial is unnecessary? Just a chance, mind you.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Marullus »

Irving looks confused at Bremen, not answering for a long moment. "I... well, I don't know. Didn't he already explain why?" He looks to Markd, again confused.
I'm NPCing him more to be a foil for you; I don't want to reinterpret the character. Hence, quotes.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#118 Post by Alethan »

Bandy glares at Irving and Bremen and mutters, "I can't steal my own bloody pony you dishonest, ignorant pair of arseholes..."
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Marullus wrote:Irving looks confused at Bremen, not answering for a long moment. "I... well, I don't know. Didn't he already explain why?" He looks to Markd, again confused.
Bremen shakes his head with a frown. Sadly, Stancell wouldn't shed much light about the Fountain room, focusing, instead, on the chapel.

But you seem to remember that the Fountain incident is where Stancell decided my soul was compromised. It's what you said. All I am asking is, considering the Voice changed it's accusations of all that horrible stuff once Stancell was no longer alone in the tunnel, is there a chance he decided wrong? That it wasn't me the Voice was speaking about?

Just your opinion, mind you. No need to worry about Stancell. He isn't on trial here.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:@Zhym: Except when it's the player's ineptitude. Which is the case here. :roll: If Marullus had agreed, I'd be okay with having Bremen testify, I suppose. Though I have no idea how the cross examination would work.

Bremen presses a bit further. Intersting. Then is there a possibility, in your mind, that Markd was wrong in deciding the voice was talking about me? And that this whole trial is unnecessary? Just a chance, mind you.

Wait, what? Why wouldn't Bremen take the stand? That sounds like a pure admission of guilt to me...

Markd is seething in anger at the accusations that he could even possibly be wrong. He whispers to Pendleton.
.Ask him how he thinks Baudh will feel toward him once it is proven he has been helping evil with his smug testimony. See if that dont knock that smile off his face.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”