EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

#201 Post by onlyme »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:As a player, I am sad for Markd losing his dagger of healing and devil-seeing. (Bremen will be laughing about it though. All the way to the bonfire...)
yeah, me too...
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#202 Post by Zhym »

That does seem rather unfair, and more than a small dent in "the town is not the adventure."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#203 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Markd' can appeal to the Duke, maybe.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#204 Post by Zhym »

Next up: the Trial of the Archbishop!

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#205 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:That does seem rather unfair, and more than a small dent in "the town is not the adventure."
I am discussing the knife in private with Onlyme.

I do want to address this, though -- EVENT threads are how adventure happens in town; the compromise for where town and adventure intersect. You can earn XP, have consequences, and even die in events, just as expeditions. I apologise if that wasn't clear.

Marullus wrote:Thank you all for being part of this grand sandbox adventure. :)

As you tackle bigger challenges, a mid-level game allows you to bring home more coin and have greater impact on the developing civilization you are in. What are you building in the gameworld? Are you a magic user that needs a place to do magical research? When you reach 9th level, will you have a place to attract followers to? If you meet your end, will you be remembered?

The gameworld is getting bigger. As you homestead outwards, you create new centers of play. (See Beith's Watch, Frogmorton Ford, Idmi d’dum, and the soon-coming White Tower) You can have PCs that operate out of these locations as well as in Gaul, expanding the map and discovering more. You can have multiple PCs, participating in multiple avenues.
As we transition into a mid-level game, "the town is not the adventure" transitions slightly - you're creating new towns. You're creating political situations between your towns, and PC-driven interplay which drives the sandbox gameworld's development. While "adventuring in town" is still not a thing, having PC-driven Events which impact a town or across towns is completely viable.

For example - Bremen is about to flee to the White Tower, which will populate with followers. Other PCs have talked about establishing a mage tower as a sanctuary for those willing to join their order. The events of this thread will change the dynamic between certain classes in the town of Gaul itself. These things are okay, and exciting. I'll open Event threads for major game events that are inter-town or intra-town when necessary. It is a sandbox. Bring your toys and keep doing things to have fun. :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#206 Post by Marullus »

Guards: [1d20] = 10 [1d20] = 7 [1d20] = 7 [1d20] = 2 [1d20] = 16
Resist Dex (16) [1d20] = 14
Stealing stuff! [1d100] = 88 [1d100] = 5 [1d100] = 85 [1d100] = 80 [1d100] = 94
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Bremen's jaw drops at the pronouncement and he knows immediately the cause of this turn of events. It's that dagger! It's CURSED! THE DAGGER IS CURSED! Markd cursed the Bishop! Help the Keelan!!! He wastes no further time and immediately leaps into the throng of people, hoping to land in a group of Bremen-friendly people.

Bremen isn't waiting around to figure out how to do this legally anymore. If he can get outside, he'll try and steal the nearest, easily available horse.

His primary concern is his life, but if there is a sword he can grab, he'll take it.
Bremen dives into the throng, confounding the guardsmen's attempt to take him into custody as he dodges through the mass of people. There is enough sympathy and confusion to help him towards the door and he outpaces the guards behind him. A handful of guards try to apprehend him as he makes it out the double doors, but he ducks them easily, sprinting across the courtyard to freedom before the shouts can alert those ahead. He is able to grab a saddled horse before the shouts alert others to what is happening, but when he tries to get away with snatching a sword, he is too conspicuous. He gallops out of town to the east and heading towards freedom.

I'll leave this open for PC reactions in the chaos of the verdict and escape. Bremen has now fled Gaul and is a fugitive. Everyone here was awesome and I'll post XP to each of your character sheets. I'll move the story forward with long-term consequences this weekend.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#207 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

So.... He has clothes and a saddled horse. Not the best preparation for heading into the wilderness. Anyone want to start an expedition called "Bringing Bremen his things"?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#208 Post by Marullus »

IC, please.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#209 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Having outpaced the local militia, Bremen slows the horse a bit as he arrives at the Ford. He smiles bravely, barely slowing as he speaks to the guards on duty. Good news, friends! The charges were dropped. Seems Markd was beguiled or possessed by a demon! It was the golden dagger he had! Without skipping a beat, he continues. The archbishop thinks one of the other artifacts we left at the Tower will help. I'm getting sent back to save his twice-cursed hide.

Before he rides on, if things seem to be going well, he lamely tried to convince one of the guards to lend him an axe, dagger, sword, or whatever they might have on hand. Stupid as it sounds, I was so worried for my good friend I didn't take the time to grab any provisions. You're welcome to grab coin from my belongings. Brother Florian has my stuff and will reimburse you.

I'm hoping he has the element of surprise here and can chatterbox his way across without getting stopped. He'll only stop for provisions once he thinks he has a good chance of riding for freedom if they get wise to him.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#210 Post by Marullus »

Early afternoon, 20 June 2021

Back in the Chapel...
While Bremen escapes, generating a general pandemonium among the townsfolk and guards, Markd remains in his moment alone with the Archbishop. The Archbishop holds the golden knife, bidding Markd to leave, and for a moment Markd is frozen in uncertainty. He then decides to act - he lunges forward and grabs the golden knife once more himself, overpowering the Archbishop and ripping it from his grasp. The Archbishop cries out and several guards, now alerted to the scene, turn and rush towards the dais. Archbishop Keelan raises an hand to stay their advance, "No, no, it is alright... it is alright," he reassures them. "Stancell has acted justly." Markd sheathes the golden knife and the Archbishop, suddenly looking much older and more tired, passes out through the back door leaning on two of his guards. Markd finds himself, cowled and hiding his face as usual, passing out of the confusion of the chapel. The townsfolk in the square are rife with gossip at such exciting events.

Meanwhile, at the Frogmorton Ford...
Bremen CHA [3d6] = 7

Despite their positive relations with Bremen, the guardsmen are initially dubious as he comes riding out unarmed and unarmored. Bremen's glib tongue carries the day, though, and they're willing to aid him with some basic equipment from the guardpost. Bremen gets leather armor, a longsword, and a week's food before continuing across the Ford on his "urgent quest."

As you're going alone, we can move to the private forum.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”