EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

Re: EVENT: The Trial of Bremen - 19 June 2021

#141 Post by Alethan »

i'm... mostly back. Not sure when to sleep at the moment and feeling narcoleptic at times, but mostly back so Bandy can take the stand.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#142 Post by Zhym »

If we want to do Bandy first, here's what Pendleton asks:

"Mr. Sandybanks, a recent witness told this court that in a previous expedition, you tried to steal the group's mounts. Would you please describe the incident in question, what was happening at that time, and what you did?"

This, BTW, is why testimony about a witness's prior bad acts is generally not allowed. If it were allowed, trials would devolve into endless loops of testimony about the alleged acts of the person who gave testimony about the alleged acts of the person who gave testimony about the alleged acts . . . etc. etc.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#143 Post by Marullus »

Go ahead with Bandy. We'll come back to Florin. :)

I'm allowing the testimony because you guys are lousy at tavern-talk. :) I want you to recap and expose things into the public game record. If you need to do it in a hearing, that's fine by me! :lol:

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#144 Post by Alethan »

Bandy nods incredulously and sits down on the witness stool.

"Sure, sure, let's set that record straight. I didn't try to steal my own bleedin' pony! I have no idea where that pious idiot got the notion that I was doing anything but running away, which is precisely what he was doing. Certainly he saw what I was riding because I led everyone back to our camp."

"We was runnin' from some gargoyles. We found them atop an old mound. They was just sitting there like stone statues, minding they's own business when Kellstrom the devout decided he'd just provoke them by attacking 'em with his peashooter. He woke 'em up real good an paid for it with his short life. I wasn't gonna die fighting creatures of stone, so I took off outta there."

He points at where Irving just left the room.

"Irving fled as well. So did most of the others, I think. I didn't really pay much attention to them. I hadn't signed on to fight stone bat creatures that could fly, or risk my life for the idiot who provoked them. So I quickly checked the harness and saddle on Mitch, MY PONY, on account of he likes to move around and rub on boulders to try and loosen his girth straps. When they was tight, I climbed on him and told the others to quit their jawing and run. Then I ran."

"Irving was right behind me. The only one who mentioned anything about stealing then was the defendant, the High Commander Lord Pissant. He told Irving to make sure I didn't steal his backpack. And I've no idea what made him say that or think that. I was nowheres near his stupid pack. Didn't care where it was and didn't care if anyone picked it up, honestly. All I cared about was getting me and MY little pony out of harm's way. I'm not ashamed to admit that."

"An like I said before, Irving was right behind me all the way back to our campsite from the previous night. Then came Olaf, he's a dwarf, with his mule and Kellstrom's mule. if I was going to steal mounts, I probably would have had more than MY own mount with me, yeah? An I likely wouldn't have run right back to our last known camp site to wait for all the others that weren't stupid enough to fight giant stone bats, yeah?"

"No, the only mistake I made was going back out with them two." He points at the door Irving left from and then at Bremen. "Them two ungrateful gits who, without my pony, wouldn't have been able to carry Baudh's sun symbol back here."

He waits silently for any further questions.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#145 Post by Zhym »

"Thank you," Pendleton says, and sits down.
Last edited by Zhym on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

onlyme
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#146 Post by onlyme »

Markd fights to repress a rare smile after watching the halfling knock down the arrogant Irving a peg or two.
Dandelion - female half-orc beautyqueen in training (The Lone City in the Wildlands) OSRIC
Halfpint - female halfling badgirl wannabe (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL
Mark'd - charismatic human fighter (Lab Lord- The North Marches) LL

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#147 Post by Marullus »

CHA Checks (15): Pendleton [4d6] = 18 Bremen [4d6] = 19

Bandy's retort elicits some chuckles from the gallery and a smile from Markd, but has little larger impact on the gathered crowd. An angry hobbit isn't consequential to their general high-feelings about Irving or their current contemplation of Bremen as he is accused.

Florian the priest is brought out from the sequestered side chamber and takes the stand. The cleric looks generally uncomfortable, but prepared as he swears his oaths under Baudh.

"How may I assist this inquiry, sir?" he asks Pendleton, a quaver in his voice.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#148 Post by Zhym »

The ad hoc lawyer refrains from rhetorical flourishes, asking simply for the priest to explain what happened as the party approached the fountain and reached the chapel of Baudh.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#149 Post by Alethan »

OOC: I think we're waiting on Florian here... ;)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#150 Post by Marullus »

Thanks for the bump. :) Since the request is "type up all your testimony in one big plop" it has been waiting until I get an extended hunk of time to do it. If not today, then tomorrow morning.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#151 Post by Zhym »

I thought that would speed up the process as opposed to the usual back-and-forth. Silly me! :D

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#152 Post by Marullus »

Zhym wrote:The ad hoc lawyer refrains from rhetorical flourishes, asking simply for the priest to explain what happened as the party approached the fountain and reached the chapel of Baudh.
The cleric of Baudh begins explaining with the approach to the fountain. "The route to the fountain was through a series of tests of faith built into the architecture and imbued by the priests who relied upon these physical challenges to support the spiritual quests of the aspirants. It has been many centuries since such crude methods were implemented in the southlands, but it was intriguing to observe them first hand. First there was a Door of Strength, such that only the strongest could aspire to seek Baudh in this way. The strong, of course, have a responsibility for the weak, and so it allowed the whole party to pass into the hallway once the lever was suitably pushed. The long hallway led to a preparation chamber, where the personal and profane objects of an aspirant could be left. We found such things there, and also that ghouls were later chained in this area... they wore their wrists to the bone to escape and we ended their unliving torture when we found them. There was then a True Path, which we actually encountered as a test enroute to the secret chapel as well. This required that footsteps only fall on the true names and sigils of Baudh, where those that were false caused the flooring to fall away and the aspirant to land in the pit below from which he would be unable to proceed. We found secret access panels to reach the crypts, but these I believe were ancillary, and we soon returned to the path as-designed. There was then a Chamber of Confession were, having cleansed themselves and finding their path already true, they could unburden themselves before facing Baudh. We found that this room had many flat discs of precious metal engraved with the confessed sins of those who came before, that they might be acknowledged both in their hearts and by the priests for the purpose of seeking justice. The door here was one-way and locked behind us, and the other door in the chamber was a Door of False Hope - a barbaric means of embarassment, where an aspirant who quails before justice and tries to flee finds themselves sliced by the trapped blades when they seek the false door. Markd did try this false door before we proceeded, but thankfully survived the trap within. The only true means of egress after confessing ones sins was to crawl on ones belly over the sharp shards of broken pottery and glass into the Mouth of Baudh. As I said, such things are chronicled in the annals of the southlands,
but are no longer practiced in our lands. Within the low-ceilinged chamber, we found a powerful divine investment -
an enchantment which saw the unconfessed sins on the heart of the aspirant and which confronted them with it through a magical voice. Typically, one must acknowledge and offer contrition in this case before they can proceed."

He pauses, expressing his caveat at this point. "When we reached the Chamber of Confession when being pursued by the scorpion-men which were present in the ruin. When Markd crawled into the low-chamber, three of the large centaur-like beasts burst into the chamber through the one-way door. Bremen provided cover for Irving and I, that we might escape into the low-ceiling chamber where the large adversaries could not follow. Bremen was gutted by them and collapsed, near death, that Irving and I were able to drag him in after us. Markd was ahead and conversing with the Mouth of Baudh."

"Markd entered first. The voice said to Markd, 'Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children! Come no further! Flee before me! What defense have you for such sin?' He then replied, 'I- I - I have been sent here to collect an item of our mighty one and place it in the church at Gaul, where faithful followers are migrating by the score. The noble priests believe this shall allow the ministry to grow quicker and stronger than those retched nature-hugging Eruannians. If it helps the church, it is my sacred duty to fulfill the mission.' The voice then answered him, '"Unworthy! Unrepentant! Doubter! Violator of the Combat Trial! Accomplice to demon-worship! You who disguise the sacrifice of innocent children! Did you ever ask your brother's evil?'

"The voice then yelled at all of us, '"Coward! Shirker! Doubter! Flee!' Markd answered it, '"I do not need to ask the motivations of a true follower of the mighty Baudh, as I am sure he would not do something to bring dishonor without justification. Let us enter.' The voice responded, ' "You take responsibility for his actions when you defend his honor. The blood of sacrificed children is on your soul. Unrepentant and vile! Go no further, Unworthy!'

"Markd then answered it again, 'I swore I'd return with a particular artifact to help build the church at Gaul. A worthier mission for those who attempt to emulate Cafreya and Gundrat, I cannot fathom. I ask your assistance in that quest, and we will be on our way.' The voice then sounded angered. It answered, '"Beings of hubris, forbidden my realms! You too claim to be all-seeing? To have the wisdom of the Gods?" the voice responds as Markd invokes the names. "Absolution is for those contrite before me, accepting of true justice. Unworthy! Unrepentant! Flee before me, as you shall not advance! You bear the sins of complicitness, you are your brother's keeper, and the blood of children is on your hands. Your honor duel violated, you murder to hide sin. Justice sees you, justice is not blinded by your complicities! You shall not pass!' It was at that point that the crossbow bolts of the scorpion-men struck me and I lost consciousness. I do not know for certain what Markd confessed to open the gate before us, but I would expect from doctrine that he finally came to some form of apology for his sins." He pauses, then adds, "Cafreya and Gundrat were the names of high priests which were buried in the catacombs we found. The script on their sarcophagi was unfamiliar to us, but after claiming the golden blade, Markd revealed he was able to now read it. He was apparently correct, as the voice responded to his knowledge of them."

"When I awoke, we were in the darkness surrounding the Fountain of Absolution. A worthy divine investiture, granting healing to all of us to whom its waters were applied. It also applied a just price, as we each swooned for hours, faced with the visions of our own personal sins." He hangs his head. "I regret that I was indeed a coward, a doubter. I had spent my life in study of our church history and my faith quailed in the face of our foes, multiple times, as I did not believe fully in the power of Baudh in the face of such abominable horror. I have confessed and performed contrition for these acts and now stand a more stalwart defender of the faithful in the name of Baudh than when this began. For that I am grateful, Baudh be Just."

He takes a deep breath and composes himself. "Now, regarding the chapel. The way to the chapel was along what was called the Crooked Path. This is not something I was familiar with, but it had the ecclesiastical markings f a road to redemption. Where the Door of Strength led to a pathway for believers to prove righteousness, this pathway had hallmarks of cleansing and contrition. We first came to a Cleansing Chamber. It was paneled in cedar and contained a fire braizer and water contrivance, that those encountering it could meditate in heat and steam, cleansing themselves of their former selves through the discomfort. Many items were also abandoned here, some which were directly unholy and unclean, others which turned out to be wholly cursed. Leaving there, we found a Prayer Chamber - spartan and free of distraction, it had the typical pews and kneeling benches for the supplicant to spend as many days as necessary in humble submission before proceeding onward. The side room of this place was a Room of Reflection. It had divinely-imbued artwork on the walls, showing the progressive path of the warrior seeking the face of Baudh, progressing through the epochs of history from a crude man to their modern semblance of knighthood. Such displays, like the stained glass in our own chapel (which they had not refined the art of yet, clearly) serve the purpose of moral education. In this case, the quest of the worthy to find divine aid once proven was clear. Within this room was the secret door which Bremen found and which led to the Secret Chapel. This door showed no sign of being opened, so we remained fairly certain neither the scorpion-men nor any other being for many, many years had disturbed it. Within we found a proper antechamber - much like the one outside this very chapel - but to be honest, far more impressive in its design and antiquity."

"The antechamber contained all proper forms of consecration to the names of Baudh, and tracts written in their native language for the education of their populace. Antiquated forms of runic concentration surrounded the doors as well, which ensured nothing unholy could pass." He pauses and adds, "This is, of course, true of all consecrated chapels of Baudh, including the one we stand in now, though forms have changed over time. The proper consecration means that nothing infernal or unholy could possibly willingly enter, as the power of Baudh would bar its passage."

"Within was the Secret Chapel, and displayed therein was this sigil of Baudh which we acquired and returned with. The entryway to the chapel was another True Path test, which I regret I did not notice until too late.
Bandy, the heathen hobbit of our company, fell into the pit and was injured to the point of death. Bremen and I needed to take measures to save him while Markd again began negotiation with the voice present."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#153 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton listens to Florin's tale with rapt attention. His interest is, for once, entirely genuine. He forgets his role as an advocate for a moment and resumes his more customary role of the curious academic.

"It must have been fascinating, working your way through the old trials in ancient chambers." For the first time, Pendleton regrets not having joined the religious fanatics on their quest. The writings he could have translated! The preserved history!

"I'm curious about the accusations the voice made in the Chamber of Confession," he says, snapping out of his reverie. "To me, not having been there or knowing your secrets, they sound like an odd mix of the general and specific. 'Doubter'—would that not apply to anyone sometimes, if they are honest with themselves? Many of the other accusations are likewise nonspecific: 'coward,' 'shirker,' 'unworthy,' 'unrepentant.'"

"But the other accusations, the specific ones, are, well strange. 'Violator of the Combat Trial?' Do you know what that even means? 'Accomplice to demon-worship?' 'Your honor duel violated?' What is an honor duel? 'You murder to hide sin?' Something about sacrificing innocent children? Do you believe those accusations applied to any of your companions? If not, what could they have been referring to? Do you believe that the voice was the voice of Baudh himself, or something else, perhaps triggered by a spell?"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#154 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Isn't is funny how Florian seemed so incompetent during our adventure, but suddenly he puts it all together in such an eloquent manner? Has he been talking with some of his fellow clergy to get the deeper understanding of the rooms' uses, or did I miss something along the way?

Great summary, Marullus. Makes me think that Bremen missed a few chances at becoming a better person while there. And taht I played his wisdom score perfectly. :P

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#155 Post by Marullus »

He was incompetent at turning undead and fighting, but was suitable as a scholar. :) He did answer questions during the adventure and throw out the random helpful hint even when you didn't ask. This testimony is pretty consistent with what he said in the adventure, but yes, it is a bit more polished now that he's gotten to come back and think about it more. ;) He's far more comfortable here than he was when in mortal peril. 8-)
Zhym wrote:"I'm curious about the accusations the voice made in the Chamber of Confession," he says, snapping out of his reverie. "To me, not having been there or knowing your secrets, they sound like an odd mix of the general and specific. 'Doubter'—would that not apply to anyone sometimes, if they are honest with themselves? Many of the other accusations are likewise nonspecific: 'coward,' 'shirker,' 'unworthy,' 'unrepentant.'"

"But the other accusations, the specific ones, are, well strange. 'Violator of the Combat Trial?' Do you know what that even means? 'Accomplice to demon-worship?' 'Your honor duel violated?' What is an honor duel? 'You murder to hide sin?' Something about sacrificing innocent children? Do you believe those accusations applied to any of your companions? If not, what could they have been referring to? Do you believe that the voice was the voice of Baudh himself, or something else, perhaps triggered by a spell?"
"I do not know if they'd apply to any of my companions. I was available to my companions for such confession as they desired throughout the expedition, but none confessed to items related to the accusations," he replies.

"I would not call it a 'spell,' as you say, for that is a willworker's term. The voice at the fountain appeared to be an investment of divine power, indeed. I do not believe that voice was sentient, but instead imbued as a powerful working of our God Baudh for a specific purpose, which is to challenge aspirants with the greatest sins that weigh on their souls. I think this also reflects the change you note in its specificity - an imbuement of divine power meant to speak to a single soul's crimes, noting the specificity when Markd entered the chamber, becomes confounded with faced with multiple souls with a multitude of sins weighing upon them, noting the jumbled and non-specific response given when four of us were present."

"Assuming its clarity related only to Markd being present at the time, I again cannot speak to the sins upon his soul. I can say that it is a grave thing to carry a curse by a Diety, and that he has appealed both in the Southlands and the Northlands to the Church of Baudh. For him to still bear it, it means that bearing it must be Just."

"A combat trial? Honor duel? They are functionally the same thing, a common enough occurrence under Baudhic law. Someone accused under Baudhic law, such as Bremen here, can request a Trial by Combat. The parties that accept this are sworn and bound under Baudh to fight fairly and without interference to defeat... most often to death. Baudh's dominion over strength dictates that only the just claimant can perservere in this situation, showing the true party while often still allowing them to preserve their honor."

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#156 Post by Zhym »

"So how would one violate a combat trial?" asks Pendleton, thoroughly enjoying this scholarly dialog. "By cheating?"

"And it's interesting that you should mention the fountain being imbued with power. Many objects that the laymen would describe as 'magical,' we might more precisely describe as 'imbued.' In your opinion, might a powerfully-imbued object be confused with a soul?"

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#157 Post by Marullus »

"Cheating, yes," Florian answers, "which would include trying to win by any means other than strength of arms,
involving any third party in the combat, or failing to properly abide by any other formalized stricture after it has been invoked."

Florian smiles at Pendleton's last question. "Souls matter most, Mr. Pendelton, to the divine themselves, and I do not think Baudh easily confused by what is, or is not, a soul. As to what is recognized by any form of imbued or willworker's enchantment, that is subjective and beyond my own meager expertise. Guilt itself can indeed be imbued into the possessions of the remorseful - I suppose I could not rule it out."

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#158 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Captain Bremen sighs quietly, wondering where in hells this line of questioning is going. The man seemed clever earlier. Now it just seems like he's looking for whatever information he can gather. And Florian's answers aren't interesting at all... He drinks another glass of water to stay alert.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#159 Post by Zhym »

"Fascinating," says Pendleton. "So it's possible that the voice at the fountain was sensing something other than your own sins? And that Stancell's promise to bring Bremen to justice was an effort to placate the voice barring your progress?"

"Now please tell us what happened when you reached the Chapel of Baudh."

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#160 Post by Marullus »

"I cannot say that to be true," he replies, "and I did not hear Markd make such a promise."

"What further questions do you have of it?" he asks.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”