Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#1 Post by Marullus »

Morning, July 14, 2021

the next morning, the following adventurers set out to face the prospect of demons beneath the old goblin hole, led by three Templars of Eruanna.
  • Ablesforth
  • Idriss
  • Brother Dolph Gundanar (NPC)
  • Pendleton Kettleworth
  • Dare the Acrobat
  • Grimble Gromble
  • Neegan

The party gathers outside the north gate of Gaul shortly after the dawn; it is a short walk ahead to the site of the former goblin den.

Do your initial roleplay and make sure you're situated, then I'll move you to the location.

Edit:
Summary for Part 1 - here
Summary for Part 2 - here

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#2 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

With the group assembled outside the Infirmary, Able hands out 5 flasks of holy water to each party member. Now I can make more of this, but I've been known to get conked on the head and be out of working order for a time. So don't waste it.

He explains that Idriss saw giant rats, giant lizards, goblins, zombies and infernal creatures in the caves, as well as traps. It's a dangerous thing we're in for, but it's for Eruanna. But she dont expect none of us to die. So don't do that, okay? He explains in clear terms that his healing is only given with the u derstanding that a heartfelt truth will be offered, Lemme know now if you ain't okay with that. I'll give ya some time to go and buy yerself a healing potion from the Temple of Baudh. No hard feelings on the matter. I got one of them for me, even.

If you ain't got nothing to add, lets be off.
Able leads the way, singing a marching hymn to Eruanna.

I'll deduct 50 gp for a healing potion and money for 35 flasks,later. Able stayed in the Infirmary while in town.

EDIT - Map Link: https://campaignwiki.org/gridmapper?%0A ... 18%2C0)%0A
Last edited by Rusty Tincanne on Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#3 Post by Marullus »

Yes, please post your accommodations and what bonus you're claiming to Saves.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#4 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

sticks the extra holy water in his backpack. Dolph does the same. Though a Templar of Eruanna, Idriss follows an unusual arcane path so has no healing virtues.

stayed in Infirmary

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#5 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Please let me know if you can take more holy water. I am glad to pay for/create it, but need to know if you have room for it. Does Dolph have room for more?

Assuming a flask of holy water is 1# (similar to a flask of oil), Able is at 66.5 pounds, so he is moving at 60'. He could hand off 6#, or take a lot more holy water. I see both options as good, but I'd prefer to move faster, so if anyone has encumbrance to spare, as it were please speak up.

flasks paid for - 1 gp, 5 cp
potion of healing paid for - 50 gp deducted

Able has 7 days worth of preserved rations.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#6 Post by Marullus »

Dolph arrives with his own chainmail and spear, a massive zweihander sword across his back. He moves easily and unencumbered, but is willing to carry a pack.

His base encumbrance is 36lbs. It is the group's job to provision/feed the NPCs.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#7 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

If Idriss cannot afford to provide provisions, Able will do so, providing:
Backpack
7 days preserved rations
Bedroll
10 Flasks Holy Water
... And two rations from Able, putting both of them just under 60 pounds. (Movement at 90',
IIRC.)

Spearmint, let me know if I should deduct the money, please.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#8 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton is slightly taken aback to hear that the group plans to walk to its destination. What gentleman would walk through the countryside? But they do intend to enter caves—hardly the place for a horse! He ponders whether he should hire a squire to come along and see to his horse while the group is in the caves, or if he should just—perish the thought!—use his own feet for overland locomotion.

Also, I'm wondering if I should bring Fingers instead of Pendleton if this expedition is the only game going on right now. Any thoughts on whether Pendleton or Fingers would be more useful? Pendleton's only offensive spell is Sleep.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#9 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss,"sure Bro Able, go ahead and buy the pack and rations for my bodyguard Dolph".

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#10 Post by Marullus »

After situating all the group's gear, you set out the short way across the plains and faintly rolling hills, past the shepherds and their grazing sheep, following Idriss and with the information he collected before. The trip across the patrolled lands of Gaul is uneventful. Before morning is over, you see the unassuming cave mouth which marks the Goblin Hole. Had not the map shown the way, you might have ignored such an opening. It gapes before you, waiting.

You enter cautiously. The cave is of natural limestone, the torch casting eerie and confusing shadows among the stalagmites and stalactites which proliferate around the cave edges like serrated teeth. The ground is likewise water-worn stone - no earth or tracks upon it, but with detritus and leaves blown-in, mounding around the cave mouth. You see two discarded short spears as you enter, lying on the cave floor.

Date: 14 July 2021, 11:00am
Light: Sun
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#11 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"Did Foxy and I discard these? Can't remember now...oh yes, watch out for the spear traps in the wall." he says reminding folk to get familiar with the map.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#12 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth suggests one or both of the dwarfs take the lead as the group enters the caves, to make use of their infravision.

Neegan
Wibble
Ablesforth
Dare
Pendleton
Idriss
Dolph

Trying to keep lower level and/or squishy characters in the middle if we can. Except Wibble. But he's a dwarf and we need his eyes.

EDIT:
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Backpack
7 days preserved rations
Bedroll
5gp, 6 sp deducted for this stuff.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#13 Post by Marullus »

The dwarves proceed with extreme caution, following Idriss' directions and watching the floor for pits and the ceiling for loose stalactites. They reach where he suspects the pit trap to be, poking it. The normal-looking stone floor seems solid until they touch the middle, at which point the whole section of "stone" hinges downwards, dumping stray leaves into the hole below, then snaps shut, once again blended with the cave floor seamlessly.

A large cavern lies beyond, you suspect the exit being straight across out of your lantern light. The cavern opens to the left, the smell of burning still lingering, a massive, messy pile of ash at the far edge of it.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#14 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

That's dang'rous and underhanded's what that is. He looks at the pit trap and wonders if there is a way to use a spike to wedge the trap closed.* He then suggests the group circumvent the pit trap and proceed toward the lower levels. He reminds Wibble and Neegan of the scythe trap, asking to note the trigger mechanism.

He asks one of the others to light and carry his lantern.

* If there is, he will use a spike to do so before proceeding.

Also, is there a volunteer for lantern duty?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#15 Post by Marullus »

Though Ablesforth knows many things, trap mechanisms are beyond him. He could ask Dare to handle it, however.

Disabling the trap mechanism is a Find/Remove Traps roll for Dare. I will give him a +10% if the dwarves help with the stonework.

sirravd

#16 Post by sirravd »

Grimble cheerfully offers to help with the stonework.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#17 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"There was a giant cauldron type cooking pot which I used to roll ahead of me and trigger such traps as these swinging scythe blades. Rats nested in the strewn bracken, I almost had to stand in the pot myself and pour a ring of oil to ward them critters off. lost a good friend here to their nasty bites." he shares, thinking of Wilbur the weasel. He will proceed forward using his enhanced trap-finding staff poking ahead of him.

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#18 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare grins thankfully at Grimble. "A volunteer from the audience! Thank you good sir!" the young man cheers, then begins the difficult task of searching for traps.

Traps: [1d100]= 96
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#19 Post by Marullus »

Dare and Wibble trigger the pit several times, trying to find a way to jam the mechanism and prevent it ensnaring any future unwary traveler. The pit snaps shut each time, however, and their efforts are stymied.

Idriss moves to the front with the dwarves, now leading across the open cavern and bypassing the charred remains of the rat nests at the far left side. They find the cave does narrow again to a passage on the far side. True to Idriss' recollection, you find a large scythe blade embedded squarely into a dented iron cauldron, stuck fast. It is still attached to its pivot, hidden on the ceiling above, but no longer is a threat.

Another cavern opens before you. You can hear the rustling and squeaking of rats off to the forward-left.

Date: 14 July 2021, 11:20am
Light: Sun
Effects: None
Injuries: None

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#20 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

We ain't here to fight rats, but if we've gotta, we've gotta. Anyone got any ideas?

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”