Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#101 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"Shut the door immediately. Maybe we need to proceed through there by candlelight?"

In case the noise brings unwanted attention, he draws his sword and a vial of holy water to be ready for any confrontation.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#102 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able shut the door and rushes toward the other door, ready to "greet" any sniffers that might emerge.Brother Idriss, do you think the mushroom room is the portal?

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#103 Post by Spearmint »

"no, I wish it would be that easy. Perhaps the fountain is a ritualistic preparation of some kind?" answers the mage.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#104 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Able shut the door and rushes toward the other door, ready to "greet" any sniffers that might emerge.
Too non-specific. Please be clear about what doors you mean. I've described six doors and an archway so far.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#105 Post by Dram »

Neegan moves with the others ready to fight any sniffers.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#106 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry for the delay in clarifying my action. I was having trouble visualizing where we are - I plan to reread the thread and draw up a map but didn't have a chance last night. I'll try later today.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a preference, Able is happy to go along with them.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#107 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton prefers not to get hurt.

"Why are interesting ancient writings always past deadly traps and nasty monsters?" he asks.
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#108 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:Sorry for the delay in clarifying my action. I was having trouble visualizing where we are - I plan to reread the thread and draw up a map but didn't have a chance last night. I'll try later today.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a preference, Able is happy to go along with them.
Clarifying to help: "You close the door and rush to the next door."

Do you step back into the hallway and close the door? If so, do you go down the hallway through the archway (into the place Idriss says he made camp at)? Or, do you go back through the adjacent door to the left and return to the first room with the tables and trash? If you go back to the first room, do you wait there or return through the original door to the bottom of the stairs and the other hallway?

If you rush through the mushroom room to the doors there, do you go through the door straight ahead (into the place Idriss says has dessicated kow-towing corpses) or through the left-hand door (presumably back to the first room)?

For the rest of the group - are you staying clustered and following Ablesforth's lead and lantern, or is anyone taking a different action?

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#109 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Sorry for the delay. I'm surprised no one else chimed in. :(

I finally got around to drawing a map from your descriptions. One clarification, please. The door we just opened is on the "right" side of the demon-face room and 20' down from the other door (to the trash room), which was in the corner of the room. If so, the door to we just opened is about 1/3
down the wall of the demon-face room. Or is it closer to the corner and I was being too literal.

And the mushroom are in the northeast corner of the room, then?

Able closes the door on the mushrooms, remaining with the rest of the party in the hallway, looking both ways down the hallway for danger. He agrees with Idriss. Them things is loud. Candles sounds like a good idea. You got any? He suggests the party go around through the other door to the room, entering directly through the trash-filled room.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#110 Post by Marullus »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I finally got around to drawing a map from your descriptions. One clarification, please. The door we just opened is on the "right" side of the demon-face room and 20' down from the other door (to the trash room), which was in the corner of the room. If so, the door to we just opened is about 1/3 down the wall of the demon-face room. Or is it closer to the corner and I was being too literal.
For mapping: 20 feet from the end of the hallway. So, that's a 10' block where the door to the trash room is, then a 10' block where the wall between rooms would be. Then the door to the mask room. So, the door to the mask room is located in the mask room's corner.

The two doors on the far side are also both adjacent to the corner.

Rusty Tincanne wrote:And the mushroom are in the northeast corner of the room, then?
I'm not sure how you're using your directional. :) Unless you have a compass, I deliberately don't provide them. The mushrooms are immediately on your right through the door you just opened/closed. If you go around and open the other door from the trash room, you are in the farthest corner from the mushroom patch.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#111 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

the first large room:
Marullus wrote:It is a 50' by 50' room and your door enters in the center of one wall... A round wooden table and eight chairs sit in the south-east corner of the room.
I based it off that, though I think I went east-west dyslexic again . :?

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#112 Post by Marullus »

Ablseforth backs out into the hallway and shuts the door, the rest of the group bunched up behind them. the group reverses, fumbling back into the trash room - the mushrooms cease their shrieking shortly after the door is closed. Concerned about the coming of "sniffers," Ablesforth crosses the trash room with his lantern and opens the other door, which does indeed open at the far corner of the room with the mask and mandala. The mushrooms begin shrieking anew.

At the same time, goblins appear in the trash room entrance by the stairs. Armed with spears and crouching behind wooden shields, three goblins crouch in the doorway, calling out to you in their own tongue (understood by Neegan, Grimble, and any others with the goblin language) for you to surrender or be eaten. The front two are focused dubiously on the party while the one at the rear is making signals to those in the hallway behind him.

Date: 14 July 2021, 1:26pm
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 2:00pm)
Effects: None.
Injuries: Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (minor wound)

sirravd

#113 Post by sirravd »

Grimble shouts back at them in Goblin: "No surrender!"

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#114 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able looks from the goblins to the dwarf and back. So... What'd you say?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#115 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton doesn't speak goblin—such an ugly, gutteral language—but he understands their message well enough.

"Better back away, in case they know a way around to surround us," he says.

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#116 Post by Dram »

Neegan- You'll be the first to die Dogface. He says back in goblin as he raises his Battle Axe.
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#117 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Between Pendleton' statement and Neegan's pose, Able realizes violence is imminent.
Oh. Right. He hurls his smaller mallet at one of the goblins focusing on the group.

Thrown Mallet [1d20] = 17, dmg [1d6] = 4
Someone please roll initiative first?

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#118 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton casts sleep before the melee starts, targeting the area of effect to start with the foremost goblin and reach behind it.

Initiative: [1d6] = 5

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#119 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Just realizing I don't know the range for Ables's throw. It might be -1 to hit.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#120 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"No you surrender to us!", says the mage as he swipes at one, Short sword melee [1d20] = 2 damage [1d6] = 6 before ducking behind meatshield Dolph.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”