Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#181 Post by Zhym »

"Yikes!" exclaims Pendleton when he sees the onrushing goblins. He quickly ducks to the other side of the door, looking for his meat shield friend Dolph.

"Goblins! A dozen of 'em!"

Initiative: [1d6] = 2

I hope Rusty's around to re-roll that. I assume Pendleton can't also cast a spell this round?
Last edited by Zhym on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#182 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote: I hope Alethan's around to re-roll that. I assume Pendleton can't also cast a spell this round?
OOC: I'm around, but... I don't have a stake in this game, brother. No PCs on this venture.
Dragon foot. Bamboo pole. Little mouse. Tiny boy.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#183 Post by Zhym »

Aw, c'mon. Just give it a try. :)

Got my PC to player mapping confused. Fixed (I think).

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#184 Post by Alethan »

Zhym wrote:Aw, c'mon. Just give it a try. :)

Got my PC to player mapping confused. Fixed (I think).
Very well.
Initiative [1d6] = 3

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#185 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Is there enough time to pour out a flask of oil, leaving enough of a trail into the other room that Able can light it and catch the oil-sloshing goblins as they pass through his oil slick?

Or he could cast darkness on a bucket and close the door, hoping they burn themselves to a crisp.

Should have memorized hold person.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#186 Post by Zhym »

Psst. Don't forget to re-roll initiative. :)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#187 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I thought Al had that covered. ;)

Alethan
POWAH!
POWAH!

#188 Post by Alethan »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:I thought Al had that covered. ;)

Click on the roll and look at the character name.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#189 Post by Zhym »

Nice. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#190 Post by Marullus »

I assume Pendleton can't also cast a spell this round?
Correct. If he falls back, he no longer has line of sight. But someone else can move up and act.

Also, I need an IC post from Ablesforth.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#191 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

I was hoping for an answer to this.
Rusty Tincanne wrote:Is there enough time to pour out a flask of oil, leaving enough of a trail into the other room that Able can light it and catch the oil-sloshing goblins as they pass through his oil slick?

Or he could cast darkness on a bucket and close the door, hoping they burn themselves to a crisp.

Should have memorized hold person.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#192 Post by Marullus »

Yes, Able can pour oil in the mask and mandala room and light it as his action, if he wins initiative. Or, pournit in the doorway to the octopus goddess room. Pouring it is always a round.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#193 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Initiative [1d6] = 3

As quickly as he can, Able tries to put out a flask of oil onto the floor as he leaves the mandala room, lighting it with his flickering lantern as the goblins step into it. Simultaneously he sits to the group, Lantern's almost it. Someone light a torch.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#194 Post by Marullus »

(I'm assuming nobody is stepping forward to take Pendleton's action if Ablesforth is lighting the floor on fire.)

Pendleton leads the retreat backwards, warning the others of the goblins. Ablesforth wrestles a flask of oil from his pack and pours it out onto the corner of the floor of the Mandala room between the doors as he retreats through the spiked-open doorway to the octapus-lady room. At the same time as Ablesforth is backing up and lighting his oil, the goblins reach the far doorway. Two slosh their own buckets of oil onto the floor while the other two heave them in a high arc to splatter them into the room where you stand. The massive quantity of oil goes up with a fwoom, brightly illuminating the short space between the two groups even as Ablesforth's lantern winks out.

The thrown buckets are both aimed at the broad frame of Dolph, as he steps forward to protect the group. He steps aside as one bucket flies past him, splattering oil on the floor behind, but the second bucket splatters him squarely with its now-lit contents. The large man backs up as he catches fire, trying impotently to swat himself out.

While the front line tosses oil, the archers in the rear ranks dodge back and forth and lob arrows through the doorways at any target they can see. Two arrows come clattering harmlessly into the room, but one catches Dare by surprise, striking straight through his eye and into his brain (critical hit, -12 damage). The acrobat drops to the ground, felled like a sack of grain, and will be beyond saving in mere moments if not aided immediately. The goblins sneer and cackle wildly at their success.

The party is trapped in the ocean room, the doorway to fire and goblins spiked open, the other doors behind you as-yet untried.

(Both sides have a -2 to hit with ranged weapons, and can have full cover if they hide and don't act. The oil will burn two turns due to the quantity of it)

Date: 14 July 2021, 2:00pm
Light: Burning floor (until 2:20pm)
Effects: Silence spell on Mask room until 3:30pm.
Injuries: Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (minor wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#195 Post by Zhym »

"Somnolence! Morpheus decendus!" cries Pendleton, hoping to bring sleep down on the goblins.

Sleep: [2d8] = 9
Initiative: [1d6] = 1

Yeah, we're gonna want a re-roll of that one...

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#196 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Seeing the young acrobat crumple in a heap, Able rushes to him, maneuvering to stay completely out of the door frame. He holds his new, silver holy symbol as he kneels, praying for Eruanna's healing power to flow into Dare. He can extract the confession later.

CLW [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
Initiative [1d6] = 6 Could've used that too last turn.

Someone should check the other door so we aren't surprised by more gobbos. Or something else.

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#197 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

Casts a magic missile on a bucket thrower and then opens the door st the end of the room

Magic missile damage [1d6+1] = 1+1 = 2

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#198 Post by Mister-Kent »

Marullus wrote:Two arrows come clattering harmlessly into the room, but one catches Dare by surprise, striking straight through his eye and into his brain (critical hit, -12 damage). The acrobat drops to the ground, felled like a sack of grain, and will be beyond saving in mere moments if not aided immediately. The goblins sneer and cackle wildly at their success.
In the flash as his eye is pierced and before blackness enfolds him, he sees the face of his mother, and the goddess, and both as one...
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#199 Post by Marullus »

Idriss's unerring bolt of mystical energy flies through the flames and fells one of the frontmost goblins, after which Pendelton's spell renders the rest into a magical slumber. The group sees the goblin forms collapse in a snoring heap in their opposed doorway, the flames still roaring in the space between and showing no sign of abating in the near term.

Ablesforth makes it to Dare in time, calling upon Eruanna's grace to stabilize him. (+6hp) He is saved from the brink of death, but still unconscious and in dire condition. Dolph finally stops, drops, and rolls, extinguishing the flames on himself, but he is worse for wear (-6).

Idriss checks the door on the opposite wall and finds it opens into a hallway leading off to the right, which after 30 feet makes a turn to the left. Grimble has a hard time catching his breath with the billowing smoke, he keeps falling into coughing fits and is beginning to sweat.

Date: 14 July 2021, 2:01pm
Light: Burning floor (until 2:20pm)
Effects: Silence spell on Mask room until 3:30pm. Sleep on goblins until 4:01pm.
Injuries: Dare (near death, unconscious), Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (moderate wounds)

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#200 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

His wounds're grievous, confesses Able. His lackluster confession is rewards with commensurate healing for Dare. He shrugs and tends to the Templar. They only picked on ya 'cause yer such an easy target.

As the flames die down, Able lets the others finish off the sleeping goblins, suggesting they merely bind the last one, suggesting they might be decent guides to find the source of the infernal. Just explain to 'im that we only wanna get rid of the demons. Then they can have this blasted hole back. So long as they leave Gaul alone, mind.

Dare: CLW [1d6+1] = 2+1 = 3
Dolph: CLW [1d6+1] = 3+1 = 4

One CLW left for the day. Might be time to camp soon.

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”