Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Re: Expedition: Ablesforth: The Demon Hole - 14 July 2021

#41 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss targets a rat from the ceiling but is literally banging his head against a rock wall so is throw is a tad wayward. thrown dagger [1d20+2] = 2+2 = 4 [1d4] = 3

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#42 Post by Marullus »

Wow, you guys were fast. :) We'll give a little more time for Neegan.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#43 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

As an aside, I'll be trying to send PMs to folks if we're waiting on someone for more than a day.

sirravd

#44 Post by sirravd »

Grimble, for the first time in his pious life, roars the foulest of dwarven obscenities before he passes out.

[1d20] = 2

:o

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#45 Post by Marullus »

The horde remains intent on going through the party to escape the noxious cloud now hanging behind them. Idriss throws a dagger from the ceiling, thankfully missing his companions and unfortunately missing the rats. Dare shoos them away from Grimble's body, their slavering, puss-laden maws looking rather unsavory. He avoids getting bitten but fails to strike a blow. Likewise, Neegan and Ablesforth try to use their large hammers and axes in close-quarters and fail to strike their foes; two of the rats, however, sink their teeth into Ablesforth's limbs (-3, -3).

Though disgusted by the act, Pendleton's fencing style aims true and he skewers one of the dog-sized beasts, felling it before him. (-1 rat) Dolph roars a battle cry and steps forward to protect the group with a massive swing of his two-handed sword, the impressive blow cleaving through three rats at once. (Critical Hit: Cleave effect. -3 rats)

Eight rats asleep. Four remaining.

Date: 14 July 2021, 11:27am
Light: Ablesforth's Lantern (until 2:00pm)
Effects: Bless on party (+1 to hit/dam) (12:25); Sleep on 8 rats (until 12:35); Levitation on Idriss (1:05)
Injuries: Grimble (mortally wounded, unconscious), Pendleton (minor wound), Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (superficial wound)

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#46 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton holds his nose and stabs another rat.

"I'd forgotten how much I hate field work," he says.

Rapier (THAC0 19): [1d20] = 17 [1d6] = 2

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#47 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Able is rattled by the bites and unable to get a good feel for how to swing his upgraded maul.

"Persuader" [1d20+2] = 8+2 = 10, dmg [1d8+2] = 5+2 = 7+1 to hit/dmg = 11 to hit and 8 to dmg

Dram
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#48 Post by Dram »

Neegan swings his B.Axe. moving towards Ablesforth to help him fend off his attackers

B. axe[1d20+2] = 11+2 = 13 todam[1d8+2] = 8+2 = 10
Current Characters/Games
Grakluse Longleaf-A Candle in the Darkness
Jacxor Ironforge-Dungeon of the Mad Mage (5e)
Kreed Oaken-Chaos halls
Xlore Strongoak-B11 King's Festival & B12 Queen's Harvest - AD&D 2e

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#49 Post by Mister-Kent »

Though the rats flee from Grimble, Dare pursues them, giving chase with a lively slash of his silver blade.

dagger attack [1d20+2] = 19+2 = 21, dagger damage [1d4+2] = 4+2 = 6
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#50 Post by Marullus »

The struggle continues to a climactic end as the last four rats maneuver amongst the party. Two of the rats pair up against the unarmored Pendleton - their vicious bites overwhelm him (-2, -3), but not before his rapier blade and Dare's silver dagger send the two rats to their death as well. (-2 rats) The other two rats attack the strongest member rather than the weakest, diving at Dolph. One rat savages his leg (Critical Hit: double damage, -4hp), but Neegan pierces it with his pick and then the strapping Templar cuts them both down with a swing of his massive sword (Critical hit: cleave effect, -2 rats).

The rats are dead, eight others lie asleep; their nests hazy beneath a dull brown miasma. Pendleton lies bleeding from his wounds and Grimble is also unconscious.

Date: 14 July 2021, 11:28am
Effects: Bless on party (+1 to hit/dam) (12:25); Sleep on 8 rats (until 12:35); Levitation on Idriss (1:05)
Injuries: Pendleton (dying), Grimble (mortally wounded, unconscious), Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (minor wound)

Mister-Kent
Ranger Knight
Ranger Knight

#51 Post by Mister-Kent »

Dare slays any rodent still breathing. "No encores for you!"

When the grisly business is done, he turns his attention to the wounded and dying allies. "Alas, I'm not suited for triage! Perhaps someone with better training could take over..."
DMing DUNGEONESQUE, LL AEC Gothic-weird fantasy
DMing CAT'S CRADLE, Stars Without Number/Other Dust
Playing
Constance Wyrdweather and Ruwyn Hollowheart in Labyrinth Lord: West Marches Sandbox (LL AEC)
Formerly Numen, Thisby Queller (RIP) and Radiant Olympia (RIP)!
Frekken Ribbitowicz in Mutant Future: Tales from Gam'A Zone (Gamma World)
Anne Summerisle and Gustav the Grasping in Caves of Chaos (LL)
Elden Vodarte in The Horror at Briarsgate (AD&D 1E)
I make the comics and arts! // Tumblr // DeviantArt // EnterVOID

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#52 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

searches through Pendleton's pack for any potions of healing to administer to the downed cleric and Grimble the unconscious.

"We are not going to win a war of attrition. And I am concerned the blood and guts will draw the goblin zombies forward. I think it is prudent to withdraw for now and regain our strength. "

I wonder if we can make a use of the pitfall trap. Maybe placing the rats inside one of the cauldrons and on top of the pit trapdoor. If zombies come to seek the delicacies then they step on the trap and fall to their prison, he suggests also to Dare as an attempt to safeguard retreat.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#53 Post by Marullus »

Dare is able to stabilize Pendleton's bleeding while Idriss rummages through Pendleton's backpack, one wizard inspecting another wizard's private things. You find that he has rations, lantern, oil, an impressive compass, spellbook, and all the materials for writing, but no magical potions.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#54 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Ablesforth strides first to Pendleton, then to Grimble. He kneels at each with one hand on the wounded, the other on his new, silver holy symbol. He is amazed and pleased to see the wounds heal up neatly.

Knowing it feels very Baudhic, he decides the new holy symbol was worth the money. A smiles covers his face as he helps the pair stand up. You'll be owing Eruanna a Truth.

Able thinks on Idriss's words. Didn't you say them zombies were down a floor? You think they can smell these rats from there? Mebbe we'd be better off carrying these beasts with us, throwin' 'em out as an offering so's we can slay the undead. In the meantime, mebbe we can pick through that rat-nest and see if there's anythin' useful to our cause.

Pendleton: CLW [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6
Grimble: CLW [1d6+1] = 5+1 = 6 Consistent!

How many HP does Dolph have left? If he is low, Able will CLW him as well.

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#55 Post by Marullus »

Both Grimble and Pendleton awaken, fully healed by Ablesforth's ministrations.

The brown, stagnant miasma still lays over the expanse of the cave, covering the rat nests. Seeing what it did to the rats, Ablesforth thinks entering it might be unwise.

Dolph is at 17/23.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#56 Post by Zhym »

Pendleton bounces to his feet, good as new.

"It's interesting that you should say 'a truth,' Ableforth," he says. He pulls a patch of thin, soft leather from a pocket and wipes rat guts off his rapier. "The word 'truth' is more commonly used with 'the,' as in, 'Tell me the truth.' The definite article presupposes the existence of a single, objective truth. The indefinite 'a,' by contrast, allows for the existence of multiple subjective truths. There is a school of thought, as you are no doubt aware, that there is in fact no such thing as 'truth'—only levels of subjective confidence. For how can I know if a thing is fundamentally, objectively true if my perception of the world is inherently subjective? Thus, while many may say, for example, that 'the sky is blue' is an obvious, incontrovertible truth, we cannot truly know how another person perceives the world. Any beginning apprentice prestidigitator can wonder at length whether, for example, the color blue that you see is the same as the color blue I see. Even the classic truths, such as René of Cart's, 'I think, therefore I am,' can be seen as a statement of belief."

Pendleton the magesplainer inspects his rapier. It is hardly clean enough for gentlemanly society, but then no gentleman would allow his weapon to be used for something so pedestrian as killing rats. He shrugs and sheathes his weapon.

"I can offer you this variation of Cart's maxim as a truer truth: 'I think I think, therefore I think that I am.'"

"Now," he says, picking up his pack, "who has been rummaging through my things?"

Spearmint
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#57 Post by Spearmint »

Idriss

"Ah, if truth be known and it shall, it was I, though your stuff is in order. I rifled nought be hope of some healing virtue which gladly Ablesforth provided."

As for the zombies, they laired towards the back of the cave close to the meat hook abattoir and chimney flue Foxy and I descended. If we take a step by step clearance to the caverns maybe we can deal with the undead nuisance now and secure the caverns for our own ends. Idriss who is still under the effects of the levitation spell will light a lantern and rise to the ceiling, then push himself along to light up what is ahead, going first over the rat nest area and then towards the chimney area.

Rusty Tincanne
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#58 Post by Rusty Tincanne »

Rusty Tincanne wrote:With the group assembled outside the Infirmary, Able... explains in clear terms that his healing is only given with the understanding that a heartfelt truth will be offered, Lemme know now if you ain't okay with that. I'll give ya some time to go and buy yerself a healing potion from the Temple of Baudh. No hard feelings on the matter. I got one of them for me, even.
I know your feelings on the matter of payment for healing services, Zhym, but it was made clear at the outset this time. Able won't go crazy, but magesplaining won't cut it for him. ;) You'll need to choose between the deities powers or risking it in the future.

Able stares blankly at Pendleton as he drones on, growing increasingly confused. Look Pendleton. I appreciate your smarts, but yer makin' it more difficult than it needs t'be. As I said at the outset, Eruanna will be wanting a heartfelt truth as compensation fer the healing. seems a fair price to pay fer yer life. Let me know now if yer opposed to it though, and we'll just try and keep you outta harm's way in the future. The cleric gives a toothy grin to the mage. I'll show y'how easy it is.

See, last time I was out, this feller - mebbe you know him; goes by the name of Fingers - well, he wouldn't make a confession after I'd already gone and prayed over him. I felt mighty cheated and I'm 'shamed to say I threatened the poor feller. But he talked me down though, pointing out he hadn't known the deal, and I'm awful glad he did that. He made me see that I was arrogant and ill-tempered and embarrassing the hell outta. In the end, he forgave me for my arrogance, which was awful kind of him. Good guy, that Finger's is...
Caught in the reverie of truth-telling and reminiscing, Able's train of thought faltered. He paused, then smiled again. Go on now, give'r a go. We won't judge, and you'll feel all the better for it. Able smiled expectantly, hoping the mage would open himself up to the group, even just a bit. Mebbe you kicked a dog once? Or felt good about helpin' an old lady 'cross a muddy road?

No matter Pendleton's decision, Able will complement him on his swordsmanship.

Zhym
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#59 Post by Zhym »

"You misunderstand me, sir," answers Pendleton. "I have no objections to your stipulations regarding healing services. Indeed, I find them eminently more reasonable than those insisted upon by followers of Baudh. I was merely intrigued by your word choice and its implications for the debate over objective versus subjective truth."

"But did I not already offer the payment you require? You asked for a heartfelt truth. I told you a truth—or something as close to a universal, objective truth as I could state. As for 'heartfelt,' if you do not believe that applies, I suggest that you have not had dealings with many scholars!" Pendleton laughs, as if he and Ableforth just shared a great joke. "If what I told you does not meet your god's requirements, please clarify them. Must the 'truths' be previously undisclosed or unknown? Are they expected to be personal? Memory is so unreliable, and subjectivity so pervasive, as to create a tension between the personal importance of a 'truth' and the likelihood that that truth is, well, true. You only need reference the works of—but I digress again. As I said, I am happy to comply. I need only know with more precision what it is you need."

"In any event,"
he adds with a wink and a grin, "I am entirely in favor of staying out of harm's way!"

Pendleton wasn't evading telling a truth. He thought he was complying. He just, well, gets distracted by what he thinks are interesting intellectual observations. :)

Marullus
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

#60 Post by Marullus »

Spearmint wrote:Idriss who is still under the effects of the levitation spell will light a lantern and rise to the ceiling, then push himself along to light up what is ahead, going first over the rat nest area and then towards the chimney area.
Idriss is able to push himself along the cavern roof above the miasma, looking down through the brown haze. He sees mound after mound of giant rat nests to the end of the cavern, but no exits or channels of any kind in that direction. Where it might have been goblin hovels a year or two ago, they were burnt and rats have remade it utterly into their own domain. There is no place there where the miasma does not seep and whorl.

Return to the group and proceeding along the right-hand wall, he is able spy the stairs leading down ahead. The long-dormant cookfires of the goblins barely visible in the cavern open to the left in the lantern light.

Date: 14 July 2021, 11:50am
Injuries: Ablesforth (minor wound), Dolph (minor wound)

Return to “History - Completed Expeditions”